fubar racin 22-Aug-19
Matt 22-Aug-19
Franklin 22-Aug-19
skookumjt 22-Aug-19
fubar racin 22-Aug-19
Supernaut 22-Aug-19
Dusktildawn 22-Aug-19
21-Aug-19
Seems another naïve person has been killed in Grizzly country. By all accounts he didn`t understand the dangers.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/musician-killed-by-grizzly-bear-in-canada-during-sound-gathering-project-reports

22-Aug-19
What caught my attention is that people sleeping in the same camp area didn't know the bear got him until the next morning.

22-Aug-19
I hope he recorded the sounds of that pissed of grizzly!

22-Aug-19

elkstabber's Link
There's a little more info here. Definitely not another Timothy Treadwell. Timothy knew exactly the chances that he was taking. This victim was a musician with wildlife experience, but certainly wasn't trying to live among the bears. This guy was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

22-Aug-19
Franklin according to the news reports he wasn't doing anything stupid. Sounds like he was doing what anyone one of us on here would be doing while out hunting in the backcountry. Now did he have his tent full of food or something like that we dont know but to just call the guy stupid for camping in bear country is well stupid.

22-Aug-19
I'm also failing to see where it says he did something "stupid." For all we know he may have done everything right. Or he may not have. It's all speculation either way.

22-Aug-19
I've done my share of dumb stuff. My family would be just as sad if I was killed being smart or taking a big risk.

My thoughts are with them.

22-Aug-19
Much different situation than that Treadwell guy...

22-Aug-19
Need to start hunting bears up there. It’s ridiculous that we can’t. Either way very sad.

22-Aug-19
Just be happy it wasn’t a hunter, in which case he would have gotten exactly what he deserved. (according to the anti”s).

Might be more sympathy from the (not Folgers) coffee crowd.

22-Aug-19
I have to agree, does not sound like he did anything "stupid." SOunds like it was just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I often wonder how many people read my snakebite story and just assume I must have been doing something "stupid" like messing with or handling the snake.................................

22-Aug-19
No one would intentionally handle a poisonous snake right?

22-Aug-19
Who are y’all to question franklins judgement!!! How dare you guys!

22-Aug-19
Not my judgement....he`s bear crap not me.

This guy worked with symphonies and was a music tech who thought it would be a good idea to collect "wild sounds" in Grizzly country.....stupid is as stupid does.

Now he is DEAD!

22-Aug-19
Yep, just Dumb As Hell. Everybody knows the only thing dumber than “collecting wild sounds” in bear country would be going out into bear country, moving as stealthily as possible and MAKING wild sounds... you know, something completely asinine like imitating a cow or calf Elk....

And none of us extremely stable genius Bowhunters would EVER do anything like THAT!!!!

22-Aug-19
Griz are Griz, and there's a reason the old timers who settled the west eliminated them. They were much wiser than us today.

22-Aug-19
Being unprepared is naive.... but likely doesn't leap far enough over the line into stupid. Naive is curable...... as they say, you can't fix stupid...... then there's just bad luck that is often mixed in to blur the lines.

Getting in a bad car accident can mean everything from being a poor excuse of a stupid dangerous driver to being an inexperienced driver to just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Did the bear have a name? My Fluffy would never do anything like that........

22-Aug-19
Would you be here talking smack on a dead guy if he was out on a scouting trip for a hunt? I’m betting not but you would still be you and he’d still be bear crap right? The same could happen to any one of us here on any given year prepared or not but I bet you wouldn’t run your mouth then, we’ll maybe you would but you’d get shut up pretty quickly in that case....

22-Aug-19
How is this guy like Treadwell? Sounds like he wanted to go backpacking in an awesome place and got some shit luck. He didn't intentionally hang out with bears.

Edit: saw the stuff about wild sounds. Still don't feel like he's comparable to that Treadwell guy. The only similarities I see are mauled by a bear and maybe unprepared. But even if he had a gun or spray that'd be hard to react while being drug out of your tent.

22-Aug-19
GF just "dropped the mic!" ;-)

22-Aug-19
In the words of Clint Eastwood, “Well, he should have armed himself”.

22-Aug-19
And aware of his surroundings. A person who hunts in bear country takes the necessary precautions and is completely aware. They pay attention when it comes to camping....food....meat storage etc.

So using a "hunter" as some kind of equivalence is silly at best. If you are a white suburbanite and go to the S. Side of Chicago to buy a dime bag of weed and you get mugged, beaten and possibly killed would be a better analogy.

22-Aug-19

Cityhunter333's embedded Photo
Cityhunter333's embedded Photo
Explain this!!

22-Aug-19
Hardcore seasoned hunters get converted to bear crap every single year even while deploying both lethal and less than lethal bear deterrents

22-Aug-19

22-Aug-19
Bottom line....some dude died out in the woods from a bear attack. He had a family that’s devastated. Sad deal all the way around.

22-Aug-19
X2 ^^^^^ totally unnecessary. Unless you have been to the NWT in Grizzly you can`t understand just how unnecessary it really was. It`s like camping with Polar bears.

22-Aug-19
Absolutely correct scoot and ucsdryder both

22-Aug-19
Scoot....Franklin is from Wisconsin. They are a different breed. Enough said.

Seasons are starting or ramping up...sad this is a discussion but a good reminder that what we all do and enjoy can be taken from us in a min. Just another unfortunate situation that hopefully we learn from...we are the not biggest critter in the forest. Spend a few extra mins tucking your kids in and hugging your spouse. Whether is a bear or a car accident...life can change quickly.

22-Aug-19
Sorry incident. BTW I don't need to go to the south side of Chicago to get weed.

22-Aug-19
Yeah but Scoot, it would be “totally unnecessary” to be outside if you got struck by lightning. Franklin, you’re way off base here...

22-Aug-19
The man was dragged from his tent, in the night, while he was sleeping and must have been killed quickly because his partner didn't hear it. How was he supposed to be prepared for that?!?

Your just wrong Franklin. So wrong it's hard to believe you're serious even for you.

22-Aug-19
Holy cow franklin, have a heart. He's a human being man. People love him, he's someone's family. Seriously...someone nuke this thread.

22-Aug-19
Franklin threads don’t get nuked sadly he can make personal attacks threaten people’s children ect comments may get nuked but he lives on....

22-Aug-19
Ambush x2

22-Aug-19
It`s a great reminder of what can happen to you in Grizzly country....some of you are just too emotional to grasp the gist of the thread. Be vigilant, don`t stub your toe and return home safely to your loved ones.

22-Aug-19
Hey!! Don't lump us in with Franklin just because he's from the same state.

22-Aug-19
Or the gist of what your trying to make it after everyone called you out anyway.......

22-Aug-19
Big difference between being "emotional" about a subject and being compassionate and sympathetic in regards to the sad loss of a life and the lasting effects it will have on that man's family, I would assume we are all smart enough to "grasp the gist of the thread", be careful in bear country. I think the gist can be grasped without disparaging a dead person we know very little to nothing about. IMHO

22-Aug-19
Sad ending to a man's life. Bad shit happens to innocent people all the time. Hell just last week a buddy, who happens to be a very passionate Harley rider, was mowed down by a 70yr old lady who ran a stop sign 4 miles from my house. Even though I choose not to ride a bike, I would never call him a dumb ass for dying that way. Wildlife will always cause death and destruction and we just have to accept that. Surfers die occasionally but are they jack asses for pursuing their love? We all hunt and I imagine after many years of sliding so, most of us will have had a " close encounter" with deaths door! I will say a prayer for that young man and wish you all the best of luck and a safe season.

This Topic has been locked. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear