jordanathome's embedded Photo
5 1/2 days and I head west only to discover what I've forgotten or didn't pack enough of......still I've packed, and repacked, and reinventoried, and rethought how may pairs of this and that do I need.......what if it rains the entire time and gets cold........what if its hot and dry the whole time...........dammit. Let's get this on the wait is torture!!! LOL Sadly I often recall at the end of the hunt that this time of anticipation and preparation are almost as fun as the actual hunt.......but it never seems like it in the moment.

Who else is all jacked up and worthless waiting..........?

24-Aug-19
Dang, man - go shoot your bow or something:) 6 more days!!!

24-Aug-19

PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo

24-Aug-19
Someone get Jordan a paper bag to breathe into!! Lol

24-Aug-19
Way to be prepared. I just moved and think I know the general area the hunting stuff is boxed away in. Trying to clear a path to it this week.

24-Aug-19
Can you come over and get my stuff ready? I keep saying i'm going to get my stuff ready but currently my couch has me stuck to it.

24-Aug-19
Jordan. You wouldn’t need to repack so much if you didn’t spend so much time on Bowsite. Lol!

24-Aug-19
No SH IT LOL refresh refresh refresh

24-Aug-19
Hey Jordan - How’s the wear on your boot laces?

Do you know where the patch kit is for your pad?

Got enough stakes for the shelter you’re taking, or did you leave some with the other tent when you used it?

And did you use a battery tester on those spares to check them?

You should hone your broadheads and any fixed blade knives too...

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

25-Aug-19
About 20 years ago, I made a detailed checklist and have refined it over and over. It still has a bunch of crap I haven't bothered to remove from the list (After all a hunt sometime might have me wanting it) but it makes the worrying about packing much less. My bigger problem is that I leave two weeks from tomorrow and have way, way to much to get done at work and home in order to leave. But guess what, I'm leaving anyway! Good luck to everyone hitting it early. (Unless of course you are going to secret OTC spot I'm headed to. If you are, then I hope your truck breaks, your limbs split or your boss demands you cancel your vacation) Not really, but since I'm hoping I found a secret spot, (In a place I've never been in September so no way of knowing until I get there) I might as well do it big right?

25-Aug-19
I used to do the same thing. I would pack a week ahead of time and then I would either think of something to add or convince myself I forgot something so I had to unload everything. No more. I have a packing list for each species and each different hunt. I print it up a week or 2 in advance and make piles in the guest room. I don't pack anything until the last minute. I check off each item, put it in the proper bag and load it up the night before. I keep the list in my pocket before the hunt and if I think of something new I want to add, I write it down. As soon as I get home from the hunt I update the list with things I should have taken and things I won't take again. That's the good thing about being an old guy. You've done it so many times, it becomes easier. There is always something I forgot, but it's generally not that important.

25-Aug-19
JSW must be my twin

25-Aug-19
I do the same as JSW with a checklist(s) and make notes during the trip. What to add or what to leave behind. I now have a fine tuned lists. Its a process.

25-Aug-19
"Hey Jordan - How’s the wear on your boot laces?"

I've learned it's more in how you tie the laces. Maybe practice counter-clockwise a few hundred times Jordan.

25-Aug-19
I did that Friday......worked great. I troooth I only repacked 2-3 times mostly to reorganize not to make sure what I have packed. But it is fun to bitch and exaggerate on BS as I wait for the countdown to hit GO!

25-Aug-19
Should start a company where we pack other people's elk kits for money before their hunt. Lol

25-Aug-19
I remember those days of being so excited & making careful examination over & over making sure I didn't leave anything out! I seemed to always forget something anyway! (big grin) Good luck sir!

ElkNut/Paul

25-Aug-19
I figured out a new way to prep yesterday, I started checking each piece of gear then moving it to the living room. Makes since to me because it's closer to the garage door. When I run out of gear to check I know I have everything. The wife came home from work last night and just rolled her eyes at me. Yup I might be plum eat up with too.

25-Aug-19
I feel you Jordan but I put my first item in my pack today .... baby wipes, essential. ;) I’ve been too busy with work, kids ball, getting the farm ground ready for wheat planting. I’ve barely had time to shoot and workout, much less pack. Hopefully by Thursday my pack is ready, Ha.

25-Aug-19
I'm 12 days out so still in the "piles" stage. Things will start going into the pack towards the end of this week.

This year I have a mule deer and elk back to back (totally different environments) so that has me reimagining my normal packing routine to make sure I have what I need for both. Great problem to have!!

25-Aug-19
I packed tonight only things I’m missing is my battery pack and cords. Came in heavier than I had hoped but it is what it is. Wife’s pack came out about where I wanted to be so she will be happy at least. Friday morning can’t get here soon enough! Kick the kids out at the school and head straight for camp!

31-Aug-19
I hate packing. I now have a travel trailer and have even more junk to pack. Unpacking is even worse. Now I’m taking a chest freezer and generator to bring meat home. My first pack in years ago my pack weighed 85 pounds. With a trailer it just means I can take more junk.

31-Aug-19
Hey Jordan, did you pack your tag?

01-Sep-19
You're gonna wear out all your gear from repacking.

01-Sep-19
I feel ya can’t wait to leave the Show Me state! Westward 5 and a wakeup!

Good Hunting! Rob

• Sitka Gear