elkstabber 26-Aug-19
'Ike' (Phone) 26-Aug-19
Outdoorsdude 26-Aug-19
buci 313 26-Aug-19
txhunter58 26-Aug-19
elmer@laptop 27-Aug-19
EmbryOklahoma 30-Aug-19
24-Aug-19
Putting average of 8-10 miles in each day. Any preference in medium or heavy cushioning?

24-Aug-19
Depends more on your feet and boots. Midweight like hiking should be plenty for most people. I wear Smart wool 365 days a year from -40 to 90+. They are awesome.

24-Aug-19
I always get the medium for Sept in the mountains.

24-Aug-19
I wear Darn Tuff hikers all year. Wear a thin poly liner too when hiking and hunting. Prevents blisters and helps wick moisture away from your feet.

24-Aug-19
I opted for mid cushion hiker although sales associate recommended heavy cushion.

24-Aug-19
Check out darn tough socks

I’ve heard but can not confirm smart wool is a anti hunting group of some sort

Something to think about

24-Aug-19
Go heavy darn tough

24-Aug-19
Darn tough are great with a life time warranty I use over the calf for work and hunting.

24-Aug-19
Heavy tough to beat

24-Aug-19

txhunter58's embedded Photo
Don’t think this would be up on their site if they were antihunting I use either light or medium. Don’t even use heavy when it is colder
Don’t think this would be up on their site if they were antihunting I use either light or medium. Don’t even use heavy when it is colder
Hey Pyrannah. I would suggest you do a little research before spreading a rumor like that.

I use either light or medium. Heavy is too thick

24-Aug-19
I use the mid weight hiker boots in Africa and have given them a fair test. I like them as provide good temperature range and are comfortable. No blister problems. I only wear them on day at a time.

24-Aug-19
What are you wearing for a liner sock? I'd let that plus overall fit determine outer sock thickness.

24-Aug-19
I see no need for a liner sock anymore with today's merino.

24-Aug-19
My sock is better than yer sock...........

24-Aug-19
Liner socks act to prevent friction, not necessarily as more insulation. A single sock can rub regardless of material quality. Love my Smartwool socks but best with good shoe fit - and thin liners!

24-Aug-19
Jordan, youAREzantsy! Go hunting!

24-Aug-19
Dang! Stopped by basspro this evening and looked at Darn tough socks. $20/pair! I am sure they are good but not sure they are worth that. Will look for a sale!

25-Aug-19
Yes fellas... Darn Tough socks are expensive. When I 1st read about them here on BS last year, my 1st thought was "No friggin way am I paying $20+ for a pair of socks!!" ...... I now own 5 pair of them ;-).

I wore them 7 days straight in N'fnland and they had ZERO odor and my feet were in great shape.

It was the only thing I demanded from Santa!

25-Aug-19
Smart wool were $20 per pair as well With some going for 27. I shopped at Dick’s (gasp) only game in town by me and with coupons I saved 70 bucks! For $160 I got Glendel buck, 3 pair smartwools and 2 t-shirts, what a bargain!

25-Aug-19

For half the price, I love smartwool! They have been such a leap forward, and they do everything I need. That said, I will look for some sales on Darn tough to give them a try

25-Aug-19

I also have tried these and they performed well. $30 for 4 pair. Whatever socks you get need to be at least 60% merino wool

25-Aug-19
I like Darn Tough socks, but imo the only advantage is the warranty. Fit and comfort goes to Smartwool, and for now I think you can find better deals on Smartwool. I always opted for 2nds from Sierra Trading post when I could find them. Hey, they even have a camo sock... always best to have those under layers camo when the going gets tough. For weight I would opt for medium, but it depends on your boots for sure.

25-Aug-19
I like Costco's wool socks. 19 bucks for 6 pairs. Says they are 72% Merino wool compared to 66% Merino in Smartwool. I wear them every day in fall winter and spring.

25-Aug-19
Darn Tough...

25-Aug-19
PLUS 1 on People Socks....love them. Wear 'em year round.

25-Aug-19
I like smart wool, but my favorite for September elk are lorpen t2 socks. I hate darn tuff socks, I have them and they are to slippery. I find my foot sliding around in my boots when I wear them..

25-Aug-19
I have found the same with darn tough sliding in my sneakers....not a fan

25-Aug-19
Mayhaps yous just has greasy feetses..............

25-Aug-19
Huge darn tough fan. Once you buy 10 pairs you never have to by socks again...ever. Or think of it this way. $200 and you never need to buy socks again, and you have the best socks money can buy. Picked mine up on sales etc, but haven't bought socks going on 18 months. Just annoying when people give you socks at Christmas. Like what do I do with them lol.

26-Aug-19
Well damn, now I have to go test them all in my boots again...Never noticed ‘slippage’...Shrinkage, yes! Lol

26-Aug-19
I'm not sure if its the same for your feet sliding around in your hiking boots as it is for feet sliding around in ski boots. When your feet slide around in ski boots you have a tendency to curl your toes to grip the boots, kind of like if your hands were flat on the surface and you started to slide. You will then turn your hands into claws to try to grip the surface. This causes muscle fatigue. Like I said I don't know if it carry to hiking boots or not.

I do you know that when I wear darn tough or any type of sock that can be slippery that my foot moves around. When I'm on steep side hills sidehilling I can feel my foot moving or going downhill I can feel my toes going against the front of my boots way more so with slippery socks.

26-Aug-19

elkstabber's embedded Photo
elkstabber's embedded Photo
Pull your socks up.

26-Aug-19
Haaaa the Chili Pep’s...

That’s a interesting analysis Teeton, never thought about it or noticed it, but the foot fatigue could explain some pain now and then...

26-Aug-19
Early season; Defeet wooliebully cycling sock 6in. (very fine and smooth threads), then Smartwool cycling socks then Smartwool PhD light crew. late season; Smartwool PhD or S.W. medium then the Defeet for 'warmer' evening hunts deep snow: SW PhD snowboard of Carharts' wool.

can't stand darntuffs

26-Aug-19
Wool allergy, liner's are key !

26-Aug-19
Here is a sale on Darn tough: https://www.moosejaw.com/product/darn-tough-men-s-light-hiker-micro-crew-light-cushion-sock_10299098

27-Aug-19
i have used smartwool on many occasions, but do not any more....nowhere near as durable now as when they first came out. my last 5 pair of smartwools did not last a full year. I go with darned tough. they have served me well.

30-Aug-19
Just bought some darn tough socks. Looking forward to giving them a workout in 7-1/2 days!

• Sitka Gear