35-Acre 27-Aug-19
Vertixss 27-Aug-19
timex 27-Aug-19
David A. 29-Aug-19
t-roy 04-Sep-19
25-Aug-19

Vertixss's embedded Photo
Had a bad wind storm go through wi here and was wondering what you all think about tripod stands, as the tees are now somewhat limited?

25-Aug-19
In there, I think I’d go with a ground blind.

25-Aug-19

26-Aug-19
Vertixss, I've been considering a tripod in a large clearcut that has several years' growth on it. The place looks a good bit like your second picture.

I just haven't figured out what I want in a stand...I don't know tripods well enough.

26-Aug-19
With that mess, a tripod will allow you to see some distance where a ground will have limited sighting. Both have their pluses and minuses.

26-Aug-19
Definitely go with a tripod for greater visibility. Academy Sports offers a good circular tripod stand worth looking at.

26-Aug-19
I bought a tripod stand years ago and tried it in an areas with 8-12 foot tall brush. hated it and haven't used it in a couple years. keep thinking tucking it into a cedar tree might work but haven't tried that yet.

Craig

26-Aug-19
Where in WI did that happen?

26-Aug-19
Hunted from a tripod for several years in TX... they work great.

Place it among a few trees to break up your outline or use some 2" PVC to build to support camo netting.

26-Aug-19
The tripods I used in South TX were backed up trees to break up the outline. I've also heard of guys using scaffolding.

26-Aug-19
If the tripod has a railing around it, you can modify it so you only have the rail behind you. This can be used to attached branches and or camo netting to help break up your outline.

27-Aug-19
Thanks for the ideas. Happened in the Barron turtle lake area in northwest wi. Anyone know of a good brand I would like to get one that I could haul in and out for 1 day hunts.

27-Aug-19
IMO....I'd cut in some new deer trails or try to reopen the old ones right now....the sooner the better. I'd go with a strategically placed tripod over ground blind.

27-Aug-19
Are you asking if there are any "light" tripods for packing in/out for day hunts? I dunno. The only tripods I've ever seen are 150 pounds or so and take some time to set up. If you're thinking fast turnaround hunts, I'd recommend a ground blind. It's easy to brush them in using blow downs and there should be plenty of "alleys" that funnel the deer.

On side note, I drive through Turtle Lake every time I head up to Hayward. The wind damage that occurred still boggles the mind. The fact that locals cleared the ATV trail running along 63 in only a week or so is a testament to their drive and devotion. They must have cut/moved thousands of trees blocking that trail...

27-Aug-19
Only having played with tripods and not hunted out of them, I'm of limited use here. The spot looks like a tripod could work, especially up against a surviving tree or blow down... but, at least all the ones I've messed with, were definitely not for run and gun. It would be like trying to set up a ladder stand every time - at least in terms of time and energy etc... But, that all gets me thinking of a ground blind or leafy/ghille suit instead. You could carry in and set up very easily and quickly, and modify position fast based on how deer relate to an area that's drastically changed. You could even build a few blinds into the rootballs of blow downs or the crowns. Excellent cover and cheap, so you could establish many for use all season.

27-Aug-19
South Texas Tri-pods makes a portable one. Might check them out

27-Aug-19
At one time I think Summit made some 10’ portable style stands. Probably your best bet is do research on Texas tripod stand manufacturers. Tripods are very popular in TX hunting over brush.

27-Aug-19
I would say your area just turned into a bedding area with that storm. .

Someone above mentioned cutting in some trails. That definitely what I was thinking at first, but going through that area looks like a HUGE effort and you're getting close to season. Plus some of what you have shown in those photos just looks dangerous (widow-makers) and impassable by most things. So if you can hunt the edges around that you might be more successful. Maybe consider putting trails on the outside as a better option (going with a blind - plenty of material to brush it in, that's for sure.

If the land is yours or you have permission, I would see if you can get a dozer in there and move some of that clutter around. There is nothing wrong with having heavy cover like some of what you have there, but if the entire area you hunt looks like that you may need to change up tactics considerably.

It's worth noting that while deer do like to have cover but they don't like to be boxed in. If you cut some trails with a chain saw or even if you push some through with a dozer the sides might still feel like an alley. While that might get some does moving through, bigger bucks likely won't get themselves in that situation (where they wouldn't have an escape route). FWIW: If you took this one step further and were to try to make fields or plots, I think you may also have the same concern with building up walls around a plot that. So consider that if you go that route as well.

Good luck hunting! Who knows what you'll see - might be some big guys cruising the edges if this turns into a bedding area.

27-Aug-19
Family ground so all the down and broken trees will get logged off this winter. (I do construction summer so work long hours but have a lot of free time after thanksgiving). Hadn’t thought of a ghille suit have to try that . otherwise I suppose either get a tripod or , get a lightweight hang on and be a little limited on where I can go . In the past I mostly hunted ladder stands but, got a little more ground in the last year so want to be more versatile.

27-Aug-19
it would depend on what I was hunting with a tripod would be ok with muzzleloader or centerfire but not a bow

29-Aug-19
South Texas Tripods are the best...other than maybe the super light ones I make, but STTs are light enough for one man to haul around.

04-Sep-19
Might think about brushing in your tree stand with some oak branches or, possibly even some artificial Christmas tree limbs.

• Sitka Gear