SteveB 19-Oct-19
SteveB 20-Oct-19
fastflight 20-Oct-19
SteveB 20-Oct-19
SteveB 20-Oct-19
drycreek 20-Oct-19
SteveB 21-Oct-19
26-Aug-19
Well I started a thread about 18 months ago that we booked it. Now we are less than 30 days away and will begin to chronicle the trip. My 21 year old son and I will be hunting together and I have two buddies that will be together. None of us have been out west and we are more giddy than words can express. We had our logistics meeting (over cocktails of coarse) and believe the planning stages are complete. Now to tighten up our groups a little more at 50 yrds, pack, repack and wait. We will be rolling into Dan's place Sept 24th and our hunt begins the 25th. We have no idea what to expect, except that we can't wait to chase elk for the first time and will probably pee ourselves when we hear the first bugle.

More to come

James

26-Aug-19
good luck!

26-Aug-19
Prepare yourselves for a lifetime of addiction...good luck to you guys!

26-Aug-19
First of many trips west is my guess! Looking forward to hearing about your adventure! Good luck and safe travels.

26-Aug-19
If this is your first trip out West, be sure to take a good camera and plenty of chips to capture the grandeur and majesty of the sights and scenes.

26-Aug-19
Where are you going? There are several "Rocking R's", particularly the one in downtown Bozeman. You might want to end your trip there.. :)

26-Aug-19
I've been there twice and loved it. Every day I've been there, we were into elk.

26-Aug-19
Good luck guys!

26-Aug-19
Good luck !

26-Aug-19
Been there the last 5 years and had a blast every time! You’re gonna love it! Bring your suit for the hot tub! Enjoy! C

26-Aug-19
I think we need some pictures from Trapper's Rockin' R for research purposes, you know, science and stuff.

26-Aug-19
Awesome!

The hardest part (booking a hunt) is done....looking forward to it!!!

Mark

26-Aug-19
Just received my 125 grain magnus stinger buzzcuts, at Dan’s recommendation. Resighted bow and feeling good. Arrow weight is just over 410 grains, about 40 less than recommend. Not gonna sweat it, just keep putting the arrow where I want it

26-Aug-19
Arrow weight is fine. Enjoy the ride and you will never look at hunting the same!! Hunt

26-Aug-19
You will have a blast, enjoy! Be sure and write it up.

27-Aug-19
Good for you and your Son.

Have fun and enjoy it all.

Good luck, Robb

27-Aug-19
We will be hunting " just over the hill" from you guys. But it is a BIG hill! Good luck

27-Aug-19
Charlie... I didn't know a suit was mandatory for the hot tub. Next time I'll be better prepared.

27-Aug-19
Sounds like a great trip! Way to go in making it happen. Life is short! Enjoy every minute.

27-Aug-19

Bear Track's embedded Photo
My goal was to be the first successful elk hunter to sit in that new hot tub with a glass of Crown and watch the other hunters heading out to get their elk. I would go again in a heartbeat.

27-Aug-19
I am leaving Saturday to start hunting there on Monday.

28-Aug-19

jrhurn's embedded Photo
jrhurn's embedded Photo
Well the amazon supply chain is in full force! Game bags, gaiters and face paint, in round 1. The gear grab is a blast, can only speculate what the actual trip will be.

More to come James

29-Aug-19

jrhurn's embedded Photo
jrhurn's embedded Photo
Rnd 2 of amazon supply chain. Bow sling- review forthcoming

James

29-Aug-19

jrhurn's embedded Photo
jrhurn's embedded Photo
Stocking up for our hunt.

29-Aug-19
Never understood the fascination with Spotted Cow but the Dot's will be handy (I'm a moon man guy myself). Good luck, shoot straight!

30-Aug-19
Dots are evil

30-Aug-19

DPowers's Link
What route are you taking in? A huge boulder fell on Route 145, not too far from the turnoff to head to the ranch.

31-Aug-19
Dang I thought this was going to be about tossing back a cold one at the Rocking R in Bozeman while setting up an elk hunting camp.

02-Sep-19

txhunter58's embedded Photo
txhunter58's embedded Photo
You talking about this boulder? That was back in May, and they got it removed within a couple of weeks

02-Sep-19
That’s big

02-Sep-19
Just curious when does hunt start??

03-Sep-19
Scoot, I am only 15 miles south of Wisconsin and I was coming back home from the Green Bay area.

RK, we start hunting the 25th.

James

03-Sep-19
Rocking R in Bozeman :)

03-Sep-19
I thought we were discussing Rocking R in southwest Colorado. http://www.rockingrhunting.com/

And that Boulder was the small one that actually fell in the road (Hwy 145). It was 45x18x18 feet. . They blew it up with dynamite and hauled it off. The bigger one rolled across and off the road and they left it

03-Sep-19

I've driven from Montrose to the camp twice. That Norfolk HIll or Trail, is horrible for a flatlander and there's lots of places a rock like that could fall straight down. Here's a side bar for you. Take a 1/2 day and go up to the Black canyon. You won't regret it one bit. It'll make you feel very small.

09-Sep-19
14 days out. Shooting better than I have in a really long time, because I am putting the time in. I have never been one to shoot much at 50, but can honestly say that shooting from this distance has made me a better shooter. Shooting from my knees, with backpack on and any other scenario I can come up with.

14 days - not very long but believe it will feel like 14 months.

James

09-Sep-19

jrhurn's embedded Photo
jrhurn's embedded Photo
It’s getting real

10-Sep-19
The anticipation of big hunts is one of my favorite aspects.... Especially when you're all dialed in and shooting well! Good luck!

23-Sep-19
Any reports back from the ranch so far this year

23-Sep-19
According to FB, looks like a 5x5 with ML and 3 or 4 other bulls (3x3 and 4x4's).

19-Oct-19
Is there an update on this hunt somewhere?

20-Oct-19
TTT

20-Oct-19
I know I read it a month ago or so. It was called Semi Live Elk Hunt for Beginners.....or something like that. Kid got one, dad had opportunities but didnt if I remember right

20-Oct-19
Thanks!

20-Oct-19

SteveB's Link
Here’s the story

20-Oct-19
SteveB, thanks for posting that link. I somehow missed the original thread. That was a great story !

21-Oct-19
You’re welcome, I agree!

• Sitka Gear