Trial153 26-Aug-19
JohnMC 26-Aug-19
Trial153 27-Aug-19
coyote 27-Aug-19
rgb 27-Aug-19
coyote 27-Aug-19
Orion 28-Aug-19
26-Aug-19
I will be heading out to Colorado this weekend to try my luck at pronghorn. Was wondering how the rut is coming along. Will be hunting between Limon and La Juanta. And as far as getting an OTC archery tag. If I am reading the regs correctly, I can only get the tag at a CPW office. If that that's the case, what would be my best option to get a tag in time. I will not be leaving Ks till Saturday morning around 2:00 a.m. I know should have had all this done already but wasn't going to get to go, things changed and I can go for long weekend.

26-Aug-19
Yes you can get a tag only at the office at this time, youd best look up the hours and swing by on your way.

The rut isnt really on at this point, yes you will see some bucks with does however for the part they doing their own thing especially the larger bucks. Some of the midsized bucks are acting unruly and chasing other lopes from pastures but for the most part its early. Your biggest issue is that there seems to he plenty of water. That said we still managed to find some dryer ground and I killed a decent lope on Friday. I thought numbers were pretty decent however my hunting partners that had better handle on the area said numbers were way down compared to last year, mostly they are spread out with all the available water. Good luck

26-Aug-19
From what I can find, they are not open on Saturday. And I wont be able to leave till after work on Friday evening.

26-Aug-19
You might need to leave a bit earlier, maybe see if there is any offices open in the eastern part of the state to make it before they close Friday.. I bought mine online and paid the extra 50 for expedited shipping. I had the tag on Friday and bought it Wednesday afternoon.

26-Aug-19
I hunted a bit south west of where your planning on hunting

26-Aug-19
I thought you had to go to CPW office as well once season opens. With the said I had a buddy buy one last Friday after season opened at wal-mart.

Also some of the State parks have a office. You might one of them with Saturday hours.

27-Aug-19
Here is the passage from the regulations

OTC unlimited licenses: Available to both resident and nonresident hunters starting at 9 a.m. (MDT) Aug. 8. They are sold online, by phone at 1-800-244-5613, at license agents and CPW locations around the state. An unlimited number of these licenses may be purchased any time up until the day before a hunting season starts. After the season starts, OTC licenses are available for purchase at CPW offices and state parks only (except for archery elk OTC licenses and plains elk OTC licenses, which can be purchased at any license agent).

27-Aug-19
Wow ! I’ve been hunting near Briggsdale for the last four years. Have ALWAYS purchased my license OTC at the local hardware store in Eaton when we got there which was during the open season.

Hopefully OTC as in years past still holds true - although the language above seems pretty clear. ??. Guess a call to CPW is in order !

27-Aug-19
I just spoke with a CPW customer service rep. She said archery OTC licenses for pronghorn are available thru sales agents (such as WalMart) during the season. She said she is well aware of the confusing text in the regulations guide, and has answered that question many times this year!

27-Aug-19
I did some calling around as well. I was planning to purchase an OTC archery pronghorn license this coming Saturday at a local hardware store when we get there. However, according to Miranda at the CO Division of Parks and Wildlife that can’t be done now that the season is open. See Trial 153 comments above. He is correct and cited the language from the regs that apply. I believe incorrect information was given by CPW help line ( see RGB comment )

The solution is to purchase the license over the phone ( 800 244 5613 ) and THEN go to a retail vendor and pick it up once you get there. The vendor can’t sell the license, but they can issue it once you’ve purchased it over the phone. Otherwise, you have to purchase the license from a Division of Wildlife which is only open Mon-Fri.

So, the options are:

-Buy online and pick up at vendor -Buy over the phone and pick up at vendor -Purchase license in person once in CO at appropriate state locations which are only open Mon-Fri.

I have just completed this process. I received an email confirmation that I can present to the retail vendor once I get there to have them print out the license.

Btw, thanks to Trial 153 and all others who have weighed in on this thread.

28-Aug-19
you can buy otc pronghorn and elk licenses at any license vendor even if the season has started. I have done it numerous times. The Wal-Marts are full of out of staters buying OTC archery elk tags halfway through the season all the time.

• Sitka Gear