Jasper 18-Sep-19
Nick Muche 18-Sep-19
Harvester 19-Sep-19
Harvester 19-Sep-19
27-Aug-19
What would you take the next time or not leave home without ? Thanks Hunt

27-Aug-19
Help! Lots of help...Lol

Having only done two, maybe some type of Come Along, for after you do one side getting them rolled over is a lil easier...? For sure a light weight tarp! and make sure you have a light weight saw for zipping through the ribs...

I know there’s more guys out there with a lot more experience and animals, but that’s what worked for mine...Really nothing that I don’t usually hunt with, that I’d leave behind!

27-Aug-19
A tractor loader

27-Aug-19
Went north of Fairbanks two years ago. Can’t think of anything. Good rain gear, and boots that are appropriate for your hunt, are critical.

27-Aug-19
On my first AK/Yukon bull, I shot him after the helicopter was on it's way to take me out. The guide was freaking out saying it takes 4 hours to break one down. I assured him that we could get it done. It took 1 hour and 45 minutes for 2 very experienced meat cutters to take him apart and carry him about 100 yards so he could be flown out. They are big, really big, but it's still just a matter of taking off one piece at a time. Don't be intimidated.

I always have a small 4' x 6' tarp to put meat on as you are working. You'll need large game bags and some light rope but I can't think of anything special that you need for a moose that you wouldn't need for an elk.

27-Aug-19
Tarps. Tarps. Tarps.

27-Aug-19
I forgot to mention, both were on snow, so no messy water stuff...Lol

27-Aug-19
Extra game bags is a must. If your not getting your meat in a cooler after a couple days change the bloody bags with clean ones. It’ll help keep the flies off the bags. They are attracted to the blood stains. We also rub our meat down with ground pepper. Rub it on the meat before and after the game bags go on. Also helps keeps the flies off. 2lbs of pepper is worth not loosing precious moose meat.

27-Aug-19
I absolutely love the Bull Magnet call. For something so basic and simple, it just flat out works.

27-Aug-19
Buck Experts Mare in Heat Urine. That piss is pure gold!

It's pure horse piss, so should be no problems with using it.

27-Aug-19
An ability to actually find a bull moose!

27-Aug-19
A moose scapula or a very good facsimile. The first time my partner raked a bush with the one I brought, I thought we had a bull in our laps. I was smart enough to bring it along, but I wasn't smart enough to anticipate the direction taken by the one it attracted when it arrived about twenty minutes later. Spent a good part of my life watching the wind and working it, but I failed at it that day.

28-Aug-19
Heavy duty game bags, bot the light mesh ones. Also, extra headlamp, and reflective twist tie trail markers. Often end up dealing with a down moose into the dark, and having reflective trail markers make it much easier to get back to four wheelers, or to get back to moose in the dark.

28-Aug-19
Patience and Self confidence.

My ex and I did my Shiras Bull (Wyoming tag) and as we went along it became easy as He may have overwhelmed us at first because of his size, when we soon realized it was just another animal that we needed to bone the meat off and cape, cut the antlers off with the skull plate. Modify as ya go along like the hind 1/4 boned off in 2 sections instead of 1 like on an elk ect….

You'll be just fine Hunt-------->

Good luck, Robb

28-Aug-19
What I definitely won't leave home without is too long of a list to put on here. But a couple things that aren't optional for me include my Cutco 5718 with a DD edge, a carefully assembled pulling rig with dyneema rope, and my little Helinox chair.

28-Aug-19
Love my Helinox! Nothing like a back rest at the end of the day. Tarps are worth their weight in gold. The Bull Magnet is sweet too. Nick has mine so feel free to borrow it.

But one thing I would take that I didn’t have last time is a good supply of some type of fire starter. It’s not exactly sunny and dry up there in September! Good luck brother! I’m excited about moose season and I’m not even going this year.

28-Aug-19
My last moose hunt was in Newfoundland. I was told 10x binos were plenty. That was wrong. Next time I’ll also bring a spotting scope.

28-Aug-19
Long list too, but the helly hansen impertech and 3 base layer of wool, and muck boots

28-Aug-19
Me! ;-)

Good luck boys!

28-Aug-19
Waders or good slip ons if you will have stream crossings.

28-Aug-19
Depends a little on terrain and how much weight restriction you have, but for me:

-spool of Paracord (just so handy), also some battle chord for extending come-along by doubling or tripling

-mini come-along, mine is called a "pack mule"

-tyvek sheet for laying meat on

-Havalon with 6 blades per moose to be safe

-nothing is as romantic as calling in a bull with other bull body parts, but I prefer a paddle, having said that, we always have them anyways, because we are out of a boat

-chest waders

28-Aug-19
HUNT, if you're going to be in a boggy area get yourself some Neos. They are waterproof boot covers. Slip over your normal hunting boots.

I have two pair, a half-calf height pair and a hip boot pair. The hip boots were nice when we were unloading and loading the plane.

28-Aug-19
So far I have 2 things on my list. CNELK-tarps! Yes!

Kevin, Cutco knife has been awesome!

This is not really equipment, but I am shocked at the number of rifle hunters I have seen shooting moose while they are in the water where they could have easily waited until the moose was out. Sure, sometimes they run into the water after the shot, but why create that extra work for yourself if you can try to avoid it.

28-Aug-19
A lot of money to pay for the helicopter.

28-Aug-19
If you're hunting Shiras moose, you don't really need anything different than if you were chasing elk, except an extra hand or two (or the phone number for someone with horses!) to pack it out. Alaska moose hunting would be a different story...

28-Aug-19
I've shot 37 moose. The come along I've never used and am ok with throwing it in the plane every year. A comfy chair in camp and tarps. Not big ones, but tarps. My para cord is used so much too as is my pack frame.

28-Aug-19
A headnet to keep the bugs out of your face

28-Aug-19
How about some olive oil and a good seasoning or two! :-)

28-Aug-19
We were given an idea that helped out a lot. We took 5 gallon buckets filled with our dry food that has lids on them that twisted off. They became invaluable for sitting on, standing on, keeping food together and separate from camp. We also mailed these up and the locals kept them when we came home. Was a 30 dollar investment that helped a ton.

Also if you do not have a jimmy tarp ready to go with paracord to tie up and get underneath you'll wish you did. During the rain storms it took about two minutes to set up a shelter and get underneath for a more enjoyable hunt.

28-Aug-19
Since I know exactly where you are hunting I can cheat a little with my answer.... waders. Breathable Simms type waders with wading boots were a game changer. Even when not actively crossing water, the brush is always so wet that you will soak through without rain gear on. I just wore the waders every day and stayed dry/comfortable. Other than that, a strong back and a good pack cause you boys are going to be dropping some bulls.

28-Aug-19
"A headnet to keep the bugs out of your face"

Yep!

I'd also invest in the best footwear I could and make sure to bring a high-quality headlamp.

28-Aug-19
We had a Sawzall and a game cart that I brought, and was close enough to the road to use both. Not having to pack out a moose on my back was a welcome event.

28-Aug-19
don't walk behind someone ! you'll get all the bugs they kick up! walk 5 yards to the side and have a head net good luck

28-Aug-19
Good pair of 18 inch rubber boots that fit your foot well and will allow you to walk comfortably on flat ground without having your foot moving in them ! Waders can be good too, but I would bring both since you don't want to be hiking in waders all day

28-Aug-19
Lots of game bags and strong young guys to help pack.

28-Aug-19
If you have everything that you would have elk hunting plus waders you'll be fine. But a chair is nice to have.

28-Aug-19
My first diy moose hunt: We sat on the ground or on stumps around camp. I learned how much I miss something to easily sit on.

My next two hunts: I began shipping my food in a 5 gallon bucket and using it to sit on. That was a big improvement, but still not the best.

After that I brought a Helinox chair. The ability to sit and relax my back / body was a huge bonus and admitted luxury. I've had one on every remote diy hunt since.

28-Aug-19
The Helinox chair sure is nice to ya have , gohunt has them on sale. Good luck on your hunt.

28-Aug-19
We have the Helinox chairs already for horse elk hunts. They are great and packed already. Thanks guys keep the tips coming . Hunt

28-Aug-19
Going off of Trevor’s advice, if you are buying waders, give a hard look at the Cabelas breathable waders.

I have one old pair of waist highs that has been used hard for over 10 years without leaking and just bought another pair in case they get discontinued. Have outlasted my brother-in-law’s Simms...

Invest the savings over the Simms waders in a good pair of Simms boots with the treaded soles and make sure they fit well. Have to be the best wading boots I have ever used!

Kill a big one!

28-Aug-19
Thermacell and 18” high LaCrosse rubber boots.

28-Aug-19
Rope for tying legs up when quartering (or 550 core).

A back brace (no joke).

28-Aug-19
Rope for tying legs up when quartering (or 550 core).

A back brace (no joke).

28-Aug-19
O heck, I forgot one of the first things I pack is my NIke weight lifting belt.

01-Sep-19
That Bull Magnet is hanging on a limb somewhere in eastern Alaska. I’ll be checking in on it this week, hoping to leave it there again for next fall though :)

What to bring... good food. Good sleeping arrangements and plenty of whiskey! Long nights in mid to late Sep...

01-Sep-19
I've seen and heard much good regarding the Bull Magnet. I've not tried one yet. I may have to see if I can find one for sale in Fairbanks when I arrive.

01-Sep-19
I second the bull magnet. I have used one for years. Use it for calling and taking brush, but for me even more important is that I use it to amplify sound....listening. I put the snap end to my ear and can it is amazing how much farther I can hear bulls reply than with just my ear.

18-Sep-19
Little better, thicker game bag. More of a hauling pack setup. Those quarters are kind of heavy.

18-Sep-19
I've not been, but good luck Hunt!

18-Sep-19
Good boots and excellent rain gear. Gaiters. Lightweight camp boots. Extra batteries for everything, ziplock bags. Take LOTS of pics. Good luck Hunt!

18-Sep-19
More whiskey, more black pepper, more potatoes and more onions.

19-Sep-19
Little better, thicker game bag. More of a hauling pack setup. Those quarters are kind of heavy.

19-Sep-19

• Sitka Gear