deerslayer37 18-Oct-19
Rut Nut 18-Oct-19
Ermine 20-Oct-19
Nick Muche 03-Nov-19
newfi1946moose 09-Nov-19
29-Aug-19
As the title states what is your favorite recipe for moose? Marinades etc

29-Aug-19
My wife cooks it in a crockpot with potatoes, carrots, and onions like a pot roast. It’s delicious!

29-Aug-19
Steak. Oil, spice, sit 30 minutes, BBQ.

30-Aug-19

altitude sick's embedded Photo
altitude sick's embedded Photo
Tenderloins Cooked over wet soggy AK brush with salt and pepper.

Killing the moose is the easy part.

The Hardest part is getting a fire started.

30-Aug-19

We cut our tenderloin steaks about 1-1/4" thick. Lightly oil moose tenderloin filets with canola or olive oil. Rub with 'Raising The Steaks' steak rub. Grill inside a Kamado Joe or Green Egg. Use real lump charcoal and not the foo-foo briquets. I like to add a 3 or 4 ounce solid chunk of mesquite or oak to the fire for some spicy smoke. Grill them at 500 degrees (at least) until 120-123 inside (use an instant-read probe Thermopen), then remove and let sit about 2 -3 minutes. My wife recommends a healthy glass of tannat or shiraz...but a cabernet or red zin will suffice.

31-Aug-19

Cliffhanger 's embedded Photo
Cliffhanger 's embedded Photo
Moose tenderloin w/McCormick Black pepper and Garlic seasonings, baker potato sour cream on the river.

01-Oct-19
Bump since we are getting quite a few on the meat pole!!

01-Oct-19

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Moose tenderloins wrapped in caul fat, it was amazing...

01-Oct-19
Nick... I've seen Steve Rinella praise the use of caul fat... I'm looking forward to using some from this year's yet to be killed deer.

01-Oct-19
Nick, Does the caul melt away like lard? Does it add good flavor or just hold it together.

01-Oct-19
It has a buttery and salty flavor. Very good tasting. My advice would be to just use one layer otherwise the taste can be a bit overwhelming. We loved it!

01-Oct-19
Ditto on the moose tenderloin wrapped in caul fat. Moose tenderloin from my cow this year may have been the best piece of meat I've ever eaten!

01-Oct-19
Just finished a tenderloin from this year's bull, pan fried in bacon fat, unreal, I'll never bbq another tenderloin

05-Oct-19

Snowing in Fairbanks so it’s a good time for Moose Chilli.

05-Oct-19
Yeah so far, tenderloin in camp with the guys cooked over the campfire! But bacon wrapped filets smoked then reverse seared is close second! If you need a marinade you're doing it wrong!

05-Oct-19
Just had some moose chilli, was so good

05-Oct-19
What’s with the plastic liner in the crock pot, Nick? Your night to do the dishes?! ;-)

06-Oct-19

Stuffed moose backstraps tonight!

06-Oct-19
Damn, Nick. That looks delicious.

Troy - I use the same thing, those liners are legit. Screw the scrubbing.

06-Oct-19
Dayum...All of it looks good, need to take some steaks out!

07-Oct-19
Do you buy caul fat? New one on me curious...............

07-Oct-19
No, you get the caul fat from the animal while processing it. It’s the lacy fat that lines the outside of the animals stomach.

07-Oct-19
Nick I thought you owned an Instant Pot. Why are you using a slow cooker? lol

07-Oct-19
I cooked the chili on my stove top then put it in the crock pot for the rest of the weekend so it was warm when I wanted a bowl.

I made a bison roast in my instapot last week one evening and it was incredible. Only took about 30 mins for a fall apart roast....and that roast had been in my freezer since October of 2016!

07-Oct-19
Caul fat is rich, very rich. It can coat your mouth when it cools kinda like wax.

A little is good.

07-Oct-19
You've seen caul fat every time you have field dressed a big game animal and never paid it close attention. Remove some of the "doily", lacy, white webbing next time surrounding the stomach and try it.

07-Oct-19
I was guessing that was it. I never heard of using it until now. My first wild guess (pun intended) is it would be gamey but no one mentioned that yet. I did pay attention to the "strong favor" comment though!

07-Oct-19
It doesn't have an "off" taste. Its clean tasting.

17-Oct-19

Stoneman's embedded Photo
Stoneman's embedded Photo
Moose loin, jaccard, grill. A few sips of Basil Haden's ... nothin fancy but pretty darn good

18-Oct-19

deerslayer37's embedded Photo
Life is Good
deerslayer37's embedded Photo
Life is Good
Moose Steak seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning, fresh ground black pepper and course salt. Grilled to a medium rare, served up with seasoned fries, garlic toast and a home brewed Canadian style lager.

18-Oct-19
Don't feel bad Don.......................................I never knew what caul fat was til I saw that Steven Rinella episode last year on Netflix. I always just assumed it was connective tissue that was part of the digestive system. Had no idea it was fat...........................

20-Oct-19
Little salt and pepper. On a grill. Cooked medium rare. One of the best steaks ever

03-Nov-19

Spent yesterday making summer sausage.

09-Nov-19
Coat lightly w/salt and pepper. Broil to medium done. Let set in fridge a day or so then slice thin; 1 slice of homemade bread, butter bread lightly and ketchup to taste....darn good cold meat sammi! Take these to the deer watch down behind the house.

• Sitka Gear