Bill in MI 02-Sep-19
Hawkeye 02-Sep-19
12yards 03-Sep-19
longbeard 03-Sep-19
Bowbender 03-Sep-19
Woods Walker 03-Sep-19
sundowner 06-Sep-19
31-Aug-19
When the steelhead 100 was discontinued I bought all I could find. I guess I got 50 or 60.

The sidewinder was a pretty good head. Shot a few deer with them. But I just have had such good luck with the steelhead. One of my first experiences with the head was a black bear about 200 lbs. The bear was hard quartering away. I hit it right in front of the left rear hip, arrow came out in front of the right front leg. Hit an elk in the left scapula arrow made its way all the way to the right tenderloin..

If I remember right I think all but one deer shot with the sidewinders was pass thurs.

01-Sep-19
What store did you seen them in

01-Sep-19
i did the same thing teeton, i have a lifetime supply of steelhead xl's and several boxes of replacement blades.

02-Sep-19
JTV I too used the Sidewinders faithfully until they were discontinued. I killed plenty of deer with them but I gotta say they were about the flimsiest made broadhead I ever shot. Every time I pulled one out of the dirt or whatever they stuck into after a pass through they were always broken or bent.

Weren’t they discontinued after the company was sold or something like that?

02-Sep-19
I used sidewinders and miniblasters for a few years back in the 90's. By the looks of the posts here my opinion won't be a popular one, but I also know I'm not alone. Imo, and the opinion of several folks I know who initially endorsed them and convinced me to use them, they're junk in design, performance, and durability, and it's actually kind of funny to me now that I ever used them at all. In hindsight, we should have been able to tell just by looking at them and handling them that they were insufficient. Heck, you can grab a new sidewinder blade and bend it into a U shape with your fingers. Just using them a few years convinced me to stop and I never touched another mechanical. I have a jar full of destroyed rockets. Arrows kicking upon impact, poor penetration, blades not opening, blades bending breaking, etc. The others I know all stopped using them as well for the same reasons. The worst broadheads I ever used, bar none. Ymmv.

02-Sep-19
Those old steelheads were amazing weren't they

02-Sep-19
I have been using the steelheads the past few seasons, and Rocket since 1995. Never had a failure. Likely try Vortex this year as have great success with them as well.

03-Sep-19
We have Sidewinders at our Walmart also. I also stocked up on Steelheads when they quit making them. I have a pretty good supply of 125 grain ad 100 grain Steelies.

03-Sep-19
Jeff D my post was somewhat “tongue in cheek” because while I didn’t have a problem with them while I was using, mainly because I killed everything I shot them at. But they were never good after the shot (because of pass through ha ha) and your right I should have known by looking at them while screwing them on the end of my arrows. Young, dumb and didn’t know any better. With that said I wouldn’t have any hesitation about shooting one at a big buck tomorrow.

03-Sep-19
Shot Rocket Sidewinders till 2009 or 10 when their quality went south. Killed a shit ton of deer, never had a failure, never had a kick out, even on hard quartering shots. Only time I didn't get a full pass thru was on a spine shot on a buck. I would still be shooting them if their quality hadn't turned to crap.

03-Sep-19
After their recent cave in to political correctness, I no longer give a darn what they sell!

I'm done with them.

06-Sep-19
What WW said.

• Sitka Gear