IdyllwildArcher 10-Sep-19
Fuzz 10-Sep-19
elmer@laptop 10-Sep-19
elmer@laptop 10-Sep-19
elmer@laptop 11-Sep-19
elmer@laptop 11-Sep-19
elmer@laptop 11-Sep-19
01-Sep-19
Just 9 more days till I leave for my 10 day moose hunt here in Alaska. Decided to go the last 10 days of the season due to the heat and drought of this summer here in south central Alaska. Will be a combination of hunting a walk in only area and using 4 wheelers for access in the motorized area. Have friends up there right now.....season began this morning September 1st. Am looking forward to it. It is a unit where a legal bull must be either a spike/fork horn, or have 4 brow tines on one side, or be at least 50 inches in width. Nope...Alaskan moose regulations aren't confusing!. Nice thing about this season is there is no pressure for this 10 day hunt because I drew a cow permit for a December hunt!!

Only drawback(kind of) for me is that I have to use a rifle as i have been having shoulder issues for a few years that are now complicated by an elbow problem. Still happy to be able to do any hunting.

I guess I should get offline and out from watching us open tennis and start my packing.

01-Sep-19
I suspect you meant 3 brow tines, not 4. But you may want to check on that.

—Jim

01-Sep-19
Actually there are still several units that are 4 brow still. Idk where he hunts but wouldn’t surprise me at all. Luckily where we fly to is a 3 brow.

Good luck to all the moose hunters heading out soon! 12 days for me as well.

01-Sep-19
19 days for me can’t wait. My first moose hunt. Applied for 18 years to get this Maine tag.

02-Sep-19
Jtreeman. I hunt unit 13 which is still 4 brow tine or 50 inches.

02-Sep-19
4 days out for me and luckily there are no antler restrictions! Good luck Elmer!

02-Sep-19
The Eagle flies in 4 days. Two nights in Fairbanks and then it's 14 actual hunting days. I may need a bourbon tonight.

02-Sep-19
I stand corrected. My mistake.

Fortunately I’m hunting BC this year, no restrictions. I have a hard time counting all the way to 4 anyway!

—Jim

02-Sep-19
T minus 10 days for me and like Jim I can only count to 3:) Hunt

02-Sep-19
Just went and spent my 3 gift cards at Cabela's. 2 new hunting pants and a new hunting jacket. Couldn't afford sitka gear or any high end stuff but........ Something tells me I will be warmer and drier than past years now that I am retiring my 29 year old fleece that is so threadbare that you could see through it in places!!?? Currently having a beer and going through my list of stuff to take. Got new spark plugs and air filter for my truck. Will be replacing front brake pads on Thursday.

Getting more excited every day!!

09-Sep-19
1 day till I leave....Tuesday morning 7:30 AM. 80% packed. Having a hard time sleeping I am so excited. I just keep going over my lists in my head.

09-Sep-19
We leave on the 17th, long overnight drive, fly out on the 18th

09-Sep-19
Some areas of BC have moose point restrictions. Good to verify if hunting here. An app called “Hunt Buddy” will tell you what is legal in the area plus anger or horn restrictions. Works for me with no cell coverage as well. Only cost $4 or $5 a few years ago. I use it all the time when unit boundaries are in question plus understanding legal game.

Don’t know if anyone in Alaska has a similar app for sale for hunting there?

Good luck to everyone chasing moose!

09-Sep-19
Never heard of that app for here in alaska

09-Sep-19
Good luck, Elmer!!

09-Sep-19
Thanks Jake!

10-Sep-19
And.....there is a slight twist. The main 4 wheeler we use at moose camp has broken down. Parts are ordered, but not sure when parts will arrive. If they arrive to the shop tomorrow I leave tomorrow as scheduled. If they come in Wednesday I leave Wednesday. We need the 4 wheelers to get us in the 5 miles to where we usually hunt. Shop opens tomorrow at 9 AM, so I will know then when I will leave.

Hate to lose a day of my trip, but it is all good. Getting those parts will help my hunting partner more than anything, and with all he and his wife have done for me over the years it is worth the delay if it happens.

10-Sep-19
I'm gonna make a quick run to CO to see if my elk spot from 2015 is holding any elk for a few days. I'll be heading out late for moose - might get to hunt the 24th, if not, the 25th for sure. No antler restrictions where I'm going. If the caribou are around I'll go for them instead.

10-Sep-19
Good luck "elmer"! Hope those parts came in today and you hit the trail soon!

10-Sep-19
And the survey says...... Parts did not come in. Will be there tomorrow/Wednesday afternoon. So, I leave about 10-10:30 AM tomorrow. Have a few stops between Anchorage and where the shop is, and the shop is close to 1.5 hours away driving.

I am not going to complain because it has been at least 10 and probably 15 years since the last time we have had a major equipment malfunction. And I hope we go another 10-15 years without any more major issues.

10-Sep-19
And just to make things more fun........after only .085 inches of rain in June, July and August combined, the forecast is now changed and the remnants of 2 old typhoons are supposed to combine and it is supposed to rain all but one day of the hunt now. Welcome to Hunting season!!????????

11-Sep-19
Finally on the . 10 days

11-Sep-19
Well shit.....I am currently sitting on the side of the road waiting for help. Didn't feel a thing when it happened, but somehow a wheel on the trailer I had borrowed for this trip fell off. I never felt it but somebody passed me and caught my attention and I pulled over, and yup.....no wheel on the passenger side of the trailer. Luckily the neighbor I borrowed the trailer from is on the way to help....it is his day off.

I was doing 65 mph when it happened. Glad that the trailer did not flip and that the wheel did not hit another car.

And on a happier note, just heard from my friends who are already up at camp hunting, and one of them shot a 61 inch wide bull late last night. So, no matter what, there will be moose meat this winter!!

11-Sep-19
Back on the road to moose camp!

• Sitka Gear