willliamtell 08-Sep-19
Rth1229 08-Sep-19
Paul@thefort 09-Sep-19
Paul@thefort 21-Sep-19
INbowdude 21-Sep-19
BigOzzie 27-Sep-19
Paul@thefort 02-Oct-19
02-Sep-19
SOME TIMES YOU ARE LUCKY AND SOMETIMES YOU ARE NOT! Sometimes it take a lot of skill and sometimes, the luck comes into play,skill or not. Sometime, just dumb luck.

Every story has a start and then a finish. The story is about to start shortly. Yea, it is only the 3rd day of the Colorado archery elk season but I had to come home for some very important reasons.

02-Sep-19
Hopefully very good reasons;-)

Looking forward to the report!

02-Sep-19
C'mon Paul - leave Trish alone and start posting!

02-Sep-19
Could an important reason be that you no longer have an unfilled elk tag?

02-Sep-19
Could Paul be stringin us along? Again.

02-Sep-19
I sure hope the reasons were to drop off meat and buy a list B tag!

02-Sep-19
So many bad reasons to come home early. Really hoping this is for a good reason

03-Sep-19

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
spike camp
spike camp
wet meadow where I set up the tree stand
wet meadow where I set up the tree stand
looking from tree stand only 10 ft off the ground but backed into three pine trees. Good cover.
looking from tree stand only 10 ft off the ground but backed into three pine trees. Good cover.
looks like this cow elk is looking right at the tree stand in the far tree line but only 40 yards away.
looks like this cow elk is looking right at the tree stand in the far tree line but only 40 yards away.
So lets start from the beginning when in early August I hiked up to where I was to hunt and set up a tree stand and two trail cameras on this particular wet meadow. I have never used a tree stand for elk but I believe I found the perfect spot over looking a small wet meadow which is the headwaters of a small stream system.. Then a week before season, Tricia and I hike back up and stashed supplies for my spike camp; we hiked up 1600 ft in less than two miles in the Flat Top Wilderness Area.

The following week and three days before the season, and spending the first night in the truck, I hiked back up on Wed, Aug 28. with all of my hunting equipment needed for the hunt. I planned on staying at least 15 days, and had food to support that, a cozy mountain tent camp, with water within 100 yards. I took up more than I really needed but we have all been there, thinking, "Oh I might need this and it does not weight that much". Well add up all of those "it does not weight that much" and you end up with 20 plus extra pounds of stuff. Anyway I did that. I spent those three days scouting around but I have hunted this same area twice so I know it quite well. My spike camp site is only 1/3 of a mile from where I hunt but located a thick stand of pines and is down wind of my targeted hunting area. I do not make a fire. I am very careful about going deeply into the thick bedding areas and only hunt the fringe especially during the first week or so, and prior to the major rut and calling phase. I let the elk tell me how to hunt them by their current habits and when they get more aggressive, I get more aggressive in my approach. But knowing it was was going to be warmer then usual, I elected to use the tree stand approach and just wait out the elk that I had seen on the trail camera or maybe one or two, that were just drifting through.

In the morning I needed the cool breeze to be drifting down hill and I also knew that the wind/currents would change around 9:15 on most days, ie, time to get out as not to, human scent up, the place. In the evening, being that the major wind was from the SW through out the day, and I needed a NE current down hill like in the morning, I waited until 6 Pm to get in place when the down wind flow would start and then I was set up for the cool down hill currents in the evening. If a major storm was brewing, the winds can be problematic as the evening currents and winds can be unpredictable. Maybe time to hunt another area when that happens. One does not want to push their luck.

03-Sep-19

I had high hopes for the area as these two bulls passed by just a few day before the season
I had high hopes for the area as these two bulls passed by just a few day before the season
even this bear tried to show its self.
even this bear tried to show its self.
all looks good
all looks good

03-Sep-19
Reading and looking good so far Paul------->

Good luck, Robb

03-Sep-19

and remember if you do not know this guy, you surely are not a senior yet.
and remember if you do not know this guy, you surely are not a senior yet.
or this guy
or this guy
and one of these back in the early to late 1940s, you are not even close
and one of these back in the early to late 1940s, you are not even close
If you remember from other posts, I have been hunting Colorado elk for the past 27 years, I have been lucky enough to have killed 11, missed a few others with bow only, but I have observed and learned a lot about their habits, what they might be doing when I am hunting them from early in the season to the last day of the hunt. And yes, they teach me something new every season and like many wildlife species, they teach you something new every time you hunt them. Wild animals, you bet as they spend 24/7/365 being wild and surviving, and most of hunters (wild as some might be), only spend a few days a year observing and hunting them and other species. Yep, part time hunters.

It is not surprising that only 10-12% of bow hunters are successful here in Colorado hunting elk. I know, lack of time, other commitments to family and friends, jobs and yes, some are just part time bow hunters wanting to be" just out there" and maybe I will get lucky. Sort of like the Dirty Harry movie, ie, "make my day", or "do you fill lucky?". I was there for sure for the first few years of elk hunting, but now retired for the past 18 years and living here in Colorado, I have more time and can place more effort towards my hunting of the elk. And remember, you can not have a Senior Moment until you become a senior!

03-Sep-19

03-Sep-19

the darkness can reveal a lot about the night creatures.
the darkness can reveal a lot about the night creatures.
OK, OK, August 28 , the first day of archery elk, finds me up and out at 5:30 am as I only have to hike 20 minutes to the meadow and tree stand. This is one of the beauties of spike camping near the elk, as most of the effort was spent getting up there and, a lot less effort now to actually hunting them once you are there and staying for a while. You can learn so much listening to elk all during the night and mid night from camp, in the quite of the night, and what mood they might be in or not. I have heard bulls bugle, cow talk, bulls banging antlers in the adjacent meadows. Something one might miss if they are miles away in a motel or distant camp.

03-Sep-19
Following along, enjoying each post. Wishing you were typing faster, sir.

Looking forward to the rest of the story.

03-Sep-19
C'mon Paul quit drinking coffee we all want to see a bloody arrow.:)

03-Sep-19
Sitting on the edge of my seat, c'mon Paul.

03-Sep-19
Let the Senior sleep in guys! He earned it [Im hoping]

03-Sep-19
This IS my elk trip for the year. Thanks for taking us along. Good luck.

03-Sep-19
Enjoying this one!

03-Sep-19
I'm hooked. Another day where I dont get much work done!

03-Sep-19
Well that was fast! Enjoying this one Paul......

03-Sep-19
REALLY hoping the reason for the early departure from the mountain was to get meet in the freezer! Looking forward to the rest of the story Paul.

03-Sep-19

So for the first three days prior to the opening day while around camp I did check out one other meadow in the late evening and listened for elk sounds. The day before season, out steps this cow at 7:22 pm and crosses the meadow 600 yards away. Then at 7: 41 PM this bull comes out 100 yards away. I had seen this bull on the trail camera a few days before. Learning something each day just by long range scouting, listening but trying not to be an obvious hunter.

03-Sep-19

a single boutique of flowers
a single boutique of flowers
not just one but thousands across the landscape
not just one but thousands across the landscape
as far as one could see. As a wise man once stated, "you got to stop and smell the roses sometimes". Surely make hunting and the adventure more pleasurable when you do.
as far as one could see. As a wise man once stated, "you got to stop and smell the roses sometimes". Surely make hunting and the adventure more pleasurable when you do.
and if one did not notice the wild flowers this year, well.................. Lots of moisture and some late spring moisture to add. I have not seen the upper meadows as well grown as this year.

03-Sep-19

and yes I listened also, but heard no bull elk bugling at all or cow talk, except but one night while in the tent and around midnight, I hear two cow calls and then a slight bull elk bugle very close by. I bet within a 100 yards of camp.

Oh, the other sound that was more frightening. A huge old mature pine tree had a very "senior moment", and fell to the ground with a terrific crash, as it fell through the other live trees and then hit the ground with a great crash. This was within 200 yards of camp.

What is the saying, "if a tree falls in the forest and if there is no one there to hear it, does it really make a sound crashing down." Hypothetically that might be true but in reality, it does make a sound as there are other critters to witness it. Hearing a falling tree on its own, to me seems to be a true indicator of a wild area, a wild place, and one that, a person that never sets a foot in the forest, will never appreciate. End of a life cycle for sure.

03-Sep-19

So now it is the evening before hunting season. Like a kid on Christmas Eve, I am (well sort of excited) I have been sort of waiting for this for 11 month and I am in the right spot I had hoped to be in and I am physically and mentally prepared. So time to ponder and plan the next days hunt. The stage has been set so now let the actors arrive.

03-Sep-19
Good stuff Paul... keep it rolling.

03-Sep-19

Day One: Well, that was sort of disappointing. I sat am and pm at the tree stand. Saw nothing and heard nothing. Yea a few squirrels, one that thought I had invaded his tree area and came up to investigate me within 2 ft, but after a few hours, he just appreciated me being there and went about his business gathering.

One has to watch out for these squirrels as they might teach you something about the area and what is going on around it. More to come about tomorrow's hunt.

Maybe there will be a SENIOR MOMENT, but then maybe not.

03-Sep-19
I normally wait until these are complete, then sit down to read the whole story in one sitting but this one I just have to keep refreshing at work. You're killin me, Paul!

03-Sep-19

I will add this. That evening of the first day, the sun set was spectacular glowing bright red.

The saying is, "red sky at night, sailor's delight to good sailing the next day"

Time to get on board and raise the sails for tomorrow hunt. Per Captain Paul------ or walk the plank.

03-Sep-19
Really enjoying this Paul. Keep it coming!

03-Sep-19
Paul, I so enjoy your hunts. Your stories get better each time! Keep stringing us along! When I read them I can actually feel like I'm there! Awesome and thanks!

03-Sep-19
Always enjoy your stories Paul! Thanks for taking us with!

03-Sep-19
That bull appears to be giving you a razzberry...he needs to pay for that!!

03-Sep-19
It had been unusually warm even at 10,220 ft, as I was. The mosquitoes were still about but not as bad as month before. Needed a killing frost for sure.

So the second morning, I confirmed that it had not gotten any cooler in the morning at the tent sight, as the day before, but walking along the creek to the tree stand, I felt a refreshing cooler current coming down hill, but as expected for the early am and in a lower area than I was camped. If I was a bull elk, I may not have felt frisky because of the warmer weather, but it was time to hunt one regardless of the stage they were in. I was heading for the tree stand and would be there in a few minutes. I thought about the day before with no action and almost convinced myself to check out another area, but common sense overruled.

03-Sep-19
Take your time, you make it so fun to come back and check for the updates!

03-Sep-19
CHOOSING ANOTHER AREA TO HUNT THAT MORNING WOULD HAVE BEEN A BIG MISTAKE so here we go!

Remember what I had stated about the AM currents, ie, they lasted down hill until about 9:15 on a normal day. This can change slightly depending on what side of the mountain you are hunting, ie, the sunny side or the darker north facing side. After that the wind switches up hill as the sun warms up the county side.

Early early morning came with out any action. The sun was climbing in the eastern sky but not yet over the tree tops. I was still in the shade of the surrounding pine limbs. Cool breeze in the face but slowing down. Warmer than yesterday, almost too comfortable. My squirrel buddy was still busy gathering. As much as they scamper around and gathering around, hard to understand how they can gain any weight for the long winter coming. Squirrels and Canada Jays are good company for a solo hunter.

9 am was too fast approaching with out any sighting or sounds of elk. I had softly cow and calf called on occasion. The string, wind direction indicator, which I had tied on an adjacent limb started to hang straight down. Within a few minutes the wind would change and take my scent up hill and out into the meadow.

At 9:05 AM I started to get ready to end the hunt. Took the arrow off the string and placed it back in the quiver, my release was placed in my pocket. I turned to take my back pack off the limb behind me. Why were those squirrels making so much noise back in the thicket behind me? Probably just fighting over a pine nut or two.

THE BULL SHOWED UP 10 YARDS AWAY COMING FROM THE THICK COVER BEHIND ME, AND NEVER MADE A SOUND. He stopped to look over the meadow and then advanced to a short tree and stared to "horn" it. He was still behind the tree line of the meadow but up wind and now only 15 yards away. I detected a cow elk behind him standing still in the timber. OH SHIT!. I was not ready for this. The squirrels tried to warn me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOULD THERE BE A SENIOR MOMENT OR NOt? THE NEXT FEW SECONDS WOULD DETERMINE THAT. HE STEPPED FORWARD INTO THE MEADOW. I had time to replace the arrow back on the rest and dig my release from my pocket. I placed tension on the string and was ready to draw back-- he was quartering way at 19 yards. The wind string started to shift forward. Another, OH Shit.

The bright green single sight pin was on his last rib, planning on the arrow to travel through his lungs etc..and exiting the opposite side near his right shoulder. The practiced release was not felt. WACK!, he was off charging across the meadow!

03-Sep-19
Here we go!

03-Sep-19

I had no idea I had captured the shot moment until later when I got home and placed the pictures on the computer. You can see me standing in the tree stand and then the elk bolting across the meadow and away, The protrusion on it's, just behind the front right shoulder is the arrow/BH just starting to stick out. A picture surely worth a 1000 words. And just a minute before I was getting ready to down and leave; LUCKY? YOU BET.

03-Sep-19
oh man... keep it coming.. fantastic!

03-Sep-19
Congrats Paul!!! Great shot!

Still with ya, please continue.....

03-Sep-19
This is really cool.

03-Sep-19
How cool is that?!!

03-Sep-19
Dead elk running.

03-Sep-19
Fantastic!!!

03-Sep-19
Oh Hell Yeah! Great shot, Paul!

03-Sep-19

TWO MINUTES LATER
TWO MINUTES LATER
THREE MINUTES LATER
THREE MINUTES LATER
The bull elk just enters the trees at the opposite end of the meadow 70 yards away, I see him do the death circle, and then crashes down. No need to wait; I get down and pass by the camera at the base of my tree stand tree. Notice the 5 arrow quiver only has 4 arrows. :) I start across the meadow to the downed elk.

03-Sep-19
Woohoo! Elk for dinner at Paul's place! Outstanding!

03-Sep-19

as I found him 70 yards from the impact and he died in the shade; what a blessing that was.

03-Sep-19
I love happy endings......

03-Sep-19
Awesome Paul! Congrats!

03-Sep-19
Is that the one you have a picture of a few days before the season?

03-Sep-19
We are all striving for "senior moments"! Way to go Paul!

03-Sep-19

BH and shaft sticking out front rt shoulder. Bull was dead within 10 second of arrow impact.
BH and shaft sticking out front rt shoulder. Bull was dead within 10 second of arrow impact.
and a SENIOR MOMENT, I will surly cherish.

Now if you believe this is the end to this story, Not! So stick around as the fun part is past now and the hard part begins. Now remember I am solo, two mile from the truck and up 1500 ft, (but down hill back to the truck), and with a 400 plus # animal on the ground. And it is very warm out. How will all of this turn out?

03-Sep-19
Congrats!

03-Sep-19
Definitely thumbs up! Congratulations.

03-Sep-19
Congratulations Paul.

03-Sep-19
Outstanding Paul! Can't wait to hear the rest of this tale.

03-Sep-19
Way to go Paul !!! Never had a doubt you’d make it happen! Congrats!

03-Sep-19
"Senior Beast Moment" to come...great work, Paul !

03-Sep-19
Way to go, Paul ... great bull, great story.

03-Sep-19
??

03-Sep-19
Fantastic!

03-Sep-19
Congrats!

03-Sep-19
Smiling here, Paul. Congrats!!

03-Sep-19
Way to go Paul!

03-Sep-19

I HAD PUNCHED MY TAG
I HAD PUNCHED MY TAG
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
MORE TOOLS, LET THE PROCESS BEGIN
MORE TOOLS, LET THE PROCESS BEGIN
AND A LARGE BACK PACK, IN THIS CASE A BIG TOP PACK FROM Eberlestock.
AND A LARGE BACK PACK, IN THIS CASE A BIG TOP PACK FROM Eberlestock.
So my plan of action now that the FUN part is over. I took down the tree stand and the two cameras and returned to camp only 1/3 mile away and left them and my bow there. I retrieved anything I might need extra that I all ready did not have in my day pack. Some extra water and a few more snacks. It was getting warmer and I needed to get "cooking". and start field processing.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOUR DEVELOP A PLAN OF ACTION BEFORE YOU GO ELK HUNTING,---------- HOW TO GET YOUR ELK OUT AND IN TIME.

03-Sep-19
Outstanding, Paul....congrats! You hit the lottery with that cam pic!

03-Sep-19
Nice job Paul! Great story.

03-Sep-19
Only Paul would be by himself,have a wonderful story,and also have pictures of himself in the treestand,with a picture of the bull with the arrow in it.Congrats on another fine recap of the hunt.My hat is off to you,you are truly a man with a mission.

03-Sep-19

I have to take a break to start the final meat processing here at home, but later the story will restart.

Dead elk on the ground, now the "pleasant" work begins but within the near future-- smells and tastes of elk back straps on the grill. my best, and thank for following along. Paul GET READY FOR PART 3

03-Sep-19
Great Paul!

03-Sep-19
This has been awesome Paul - the work is our payment to the animal, at least that's my theory :)

Enjoy the great food, and rest up!

Thanks for taking us with you!

03-Sep-19
Thank You and Congradulation! Nicely done the story and the hunt.

03-Sep-19
Nice job! Congrats!

03-Sep-19
Congratulations on a memorable hunt and thanks for taking us along.

03-Sep-19
Congrats Paul! My only regret is that by getting your elk so soon the story is shorter. Looking forward to the end of this Senior Moment and the beginning of the next one! Thanks again for everything you bring to Bowsite. Jeff

03-Sep-19
Paul, you are the man! You give us old guys some hope by doing what you do. Thanks for the great pics and story.......badbull

03-Sep-19
Outstanding work Paul!! You're an inspiration to us all!

03-Sep-19
Congrats!!!

03-Sep-19
Congrats Paul!! Can’t wait for the rest.

03-Sep-19
Incredible bull, pics and storytelling (as always) Paul!!!

Thanks for posting!

Keep this rolling!

Mark

03-Sep-19
Sweet job Paul!

It sure didnt take you long to get outta your tree stand! like ONE minute! haha!

03-Sep-19
More like have to take a break to fry up some fresh tenderloins lol

Well done as usual and I'm jealous as usual !

03-Sep-19
Yeah Paul! Awesome!

03-Sep-19
Well yahoo!

03-Sep-19
Congratulations on a fine Bull. Looking forward to the rest of the story

03-Sep-19
Awesome, good job holding it together. Forrest

03-Sep-19
Congrats Paul.

03-Sep-19
Congratulations. Every year you made me even more truly my hero congrats Paul. Hunter

03-Sep-19
What a ride. Glad you took the time to share it in the manner you did. Perfect. Congrats!!!

03-Sep-19
Congratulations, Paul! Inspirational you are.

03-Sep-19
Congrats on another great hunt Paul, nicely done!

03-Sep-19
Awesome! Love how you take it all in. I hope I'm able to do half of what you do when I'm your age!

03-Sep-19
Congrat's Paul, another great read on a well deserved bull.

03-Sep-19
Paul, every year it's a toss up between which thread I enjoy more, your elk hunt or the goose hunting. Well done!

Craig

03-Sep-19
I want to be Paul when I grow up! Congrats!

03-Sep-19
Congratulations Paul, and story well told!

03-Sep-19
Congratulations Paul!

03-Sep-19
I dont know how you could be any cooler. You are the man! Congrats

03-Sep-19
What a stud!

03-Sep-19
Congrats Paul!

03-Sep-19
Well done Paul! Look forward to the rest of the recap.

03-Sep-19
Great short story! And nice shot by the way.

03-Sep-19
Absolutely fantastic Paul. YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!! As AzRancher stated earlier Only Paul would have an awesome story with pictures complete with a bull with an arrow in it and him in the background in a tree stand. Truly truly. Only you Paul.

Words cannot begin to describe how happy I am for you.

03-Sep-19
Congrats Paul!

03-Sep-19
Awesome! Thanks for taking us along and sharing your hunt with us Paul. Congrats!

03-Sep-19
Nice young 4x5. He should eat well!

03-Sep-19
Way to go Paul! This is great stuff!

03-Sep-19
This is better than a hunting video!!! Congrats... great thread.

03-Sep-19
Thanks for taking use along. I do think that we are all saying the same thing " BigDan is all smiles and giving you a big thumbs up". thanks Paul davep

03-Sep-19
when i grow up, i am 53, i want to be like Paul. congrats.

03-Sep-19
If only we could all be blessed with the longevity you're enjoying. Congrats buddy! I look forward to swapping stories in person come October

03-Sep-19
Congrats!!! Thanks for taking us along.

03-Sep-19
Congrats my friend. This made my day!

03-Sep-19
Very good. Awesome hunt Paul. Thanks.

03-Sep-19
Congrats Paul! Great write up!

03-Sep-19
Great story Paul. You are indeed an inspiration to us all. Congrats on a fine bull.

03-Sep-19
What a fantastic elk hunting adventure. Planning & prepping + some opportunity + some luck= success.

Congrats on a nice bull. Tks for sharing with us !!

03-Sep-19
Paul, that was simply awesome sir, well done! This Buds for you!

ElkNut/Paul

03-Sep-19
Congrats,sir!! We all can only hope to continue to do what you do with every story you live and tell. Another great read from Paul.

03-Sep-19
WOW! Bring on my Senior moment.... Congrats on a fine bull !!

03-Sep-19
Way to go!

Congratulations

03-Sep-19
Part One, check !

Part Two, check !

On to Part Three.........WOOHOO !

03-Sep-19
Paul congrats on a awesome hunt, you really did your homework and make it look easy. I always look forward to your stories. You are my idol.

03-Sep-19
If you haven't already found the fountain of youth I hope you do soon, I want to hear these story's every year! Congrats sir on another outstanding senior moment!

04-Sep-19
Hell yes Paul---------->

Congrats man

Good luck, Robb

04-Sep-19
Talk about an inspiration - You are THE man Paul! Congratulations!!!!

04-Sep-19
Congrats Paul! Really enjoyed the retelling. Way to go man.

04-Sep-19
As usual, I enjoyed reading this Paul. Thanks for taking the time.

04-Sep-19
Congratulations Paul! Job well done!!!

04-Sep-19
Awesome Paul!!

04-Sep-19
Congratulations Paul. You are truly a wonderful story teller and damn good hunter! Thanks so much for sharing!

04-Sep-19
Congrats Paul, so Awesome!!

04-Sep-19
That is awesome Paul, you are an inspiration to all of us! I really enjoyed the time my buddies and I got a chance to visit with you at the Lodge at Trappers Lake. Thanks for continuing to share your ongoing adventures!

04-Sep-19
Awesome on a stick..... we should all hope for such a senior moment.... one that is burned into your life experience forever. This must be among the sweetest. Thanks much for takin' us along.

That's a heck of a cameraman you brought along..... works cheap, doesn't snore or talk too much and and a work ethic like no other! Too cool... Congrats again. Well done. Well earned.

I keep thinking maybe I'm catching up and getting closer to ya.... then I look up the trail and you're still way out there ahead of me..... said it many times, when I grow up I wanna be like Paul..... =D

04-Sep-19
That’s the first time i’ve ever wanted a copy of a trail-cam pic.

Well done, Friend!

Recurve for the next one??

04-Sep-19
Way to go Paul! What an inspiration you are. Thanks for sharing another great episode of your adventure!

05-Sep-19
Congratulations Paul!

05-Sep-19
Thank you for the positive feed back. You guys are easily entertained. Now go out there and kill something! my best, Paul

05-Sep-19
Congratulations Paul. Those senior moments are worth it.

07-Sep-19
Awesome thread as usual Paul! CONGRATS!!!

07-Sep-19
Damn I almost missed your story and read Senior Moment and said is this another Paul story? Yup! Congrats again sir.

08-Sep-19
Great recovery from ready to bail and whammo elk at 10 yards. What do they say about the better you prepare the luckier you get? Good preparation made it happen, that and execution. Amazing action shot - you can be a pro videographer and probably never get a shot like that. How long after the elk was down did you have him on ice?

08-Sep-19

09-Sep-19
williamtell, ie, Ben. "how long before, did you have him on ice?" I had him broken down and in meat bags in 3 hours after the kill. Then I transferred the deboned meat bags , 300 yards away to a log bridge I build, over a cool stream and in the shade. I covered this all with a tarp for the evening which I check in the morning. All was good and cool. After hiking down in one hour the next early AM to the trail head and the driving 6 miles to the Packer, and then returning to the trail head, horse riding back up for the meat and camp and then back down, I had all of the cooled down meat in the cooler by Noon the next day after the kill ie, 29 hours after the kill. I then drove 40 miles to the nearest ice source where I covered the cooled down meat for the 4 hour trip home. I DID NOT LOSE ONE OZ OF ELK MEAT AS I deboned the meat, bagged it, cooled it down all evening, got it off the mountain, and in the cooler, and then on ice. The next day at home I completely process the elk meat and then ground up 55# of burger and bagged that. The complete process from field to freezer and then to plate. Thanks for the question. Paul

SEE PART 3 FOR THE REST OF THE STORY

21-Sep-19
Matt, I hope you and your crew are doing good. I know you have a cow elk down. Paul

21-Sep-19
Wow, great story and very cool pics. Congrats Paul!

27-Sep-19
ttt

02-Oct-19
Hey Spike, I have an eastern Colorado archery deer tag so maybe there might be another Senior Moment in the near future. This time I will use the recurve bow for the deer hunt. Thanks for the comments. Paul

• Sitka Gear