yellow eye 25-Sep-19
MT Livin' 26-Sep-19
TRnCO 27-Sep-19
Ageman 27-Sep-19
Paul@thefort 02-Oct-19
03-Sep-19

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
So here is Senior Moment part 3, the hard work after the kill but important to save the meat. BE SURE TO READ SENIOR MOMENT PART 2, THE ACTUAL HUNT, if you have not.

So here we go with PART 3 and a Colorado dead bull elk on the ground. NOW WHAT?

03-Sep-19

TIED THE LEGS BACK
TIED THE LEGS BACK
REMOVED HIDE FROM ONE SIDE
REMOVED HIDE FROM ONE SIDE
removed front shoulder. had to make a decision to gut or guttless. tons of flies so I will gut and attract them farther away to the gut pile.
removed front shoulder. had to make a decision to gut or guttless. tons of flies so I will gut and attract them farther away to the gut pile.
Part 3.

03-Sep-19

took off the rear quarter first before gutting. Still thinking about taking the ribs home.
took off the rear quarter first before gutting. Still thinking about taking the ribs home.
one rear quarter off and bagged
one rear quarter off and bagged
next the back strip on one side. Same on the other side.
next the back strip on one side. Same on the other side.
gutted and removed all meat and decided not to take the bone on ribs but just the rib meat. Last item, the antlers.
gutted and removed all meat and decided not to take the bone on ribs but just the rib meat. Last item, the antlers.

03-Sep-19

From start to finish, 3 hours. but all meat was safely stored in game bags and ready for preposition. Away from the gut pile and the bear I had on the camera.
From start to finish, 3 hours. but all meat was safely stored in game bags and ready for preposition. Away from the gut pile and the bear I had on the camera.

03-Sep-19

all the meat was transferred in a couple of hours. I ended up deboning the rear quarters as that thick meat might never cool down in time.
all the meat was transferred in a couple of hours. I ended up deboning the rear quarters as that thick meat might never cool down in time.
It was getting very warm and if the meat was not cooled down I might loose some of it. I owed this fine animal, to save all of his meat. This is why we hunt. So just down stream from the meadow and in the shade I would build a log bridge and place the bagged meat on it. the shade and the cooler water will help like a refrigerator and tonight when it really cools down, the meat will all be saved.

03-Sep-19

quite a 12 hour day. I was exhausted!!
quite a 12 hour day. I was exhausted!!
a couple of these will help. Later I took a pan shower, finished off a Mt House. I had made prior contact with an outfitter to take the meat down but not my camp
a couple of these will help. Later I took a pan shower, finished off a Mt House. I had made prior contact with an outfitter to take the meat down but not my camp

03-Sep-19
Time for a cold one now Paul, great story!

03-Sep-19

I broke down camp that evening, except for tent and sleeping bag. I wanted to get an early start in the morning, to hike down and contact the packer. In the morning I had it all broke down. and down the trail 2 miles, I went.
I broke down camp that evening, except for tent and sleeping bag. I wanted to get an early start in the morning, to hike down and contact the packer. In the morning I had it all broke down. and down the trail 2 miles, I went.
Sam the packer and I gathered at the trail head getting ready to retrieve the meat and camp. A three hour round trip is planned.
Sam the packer and I gathered at the trail head getting ready to retrieve the meat and camp. A three hour round trip is planned.
and headed up. It was now 24 hours since I killed the bull.
and headed up. It was now 24 hours since I killed the bull.
and arriving at camp in an hour. I usually takes me hiking up 2.5 hours.
and arriving at camp in an hour. I usually takes me hiking up 2.5 hours.
That same evening, I broke down camp but left the tent up for last night. At 5 am I rechecked the meat and all was good. I covered it up with another tarp for insurance.

After I rechecked my gear back at camp that morning I decided to leave every thing, hike down and drive to the outfitter and tell him of my luck and request a riding horse for me and another pack animal for the camp equipment. Arrangement was made on the spot. It was now only 7:45 am. and by 9 we should be going back up the hill to camp and meat.

03-Sep-19
Congrats Paul! Well done, in every aspect, as usual!

03-Sep-19
Still my hero Paul, you have what it takes ! Congrats on number twelve !

03-Sep-19
Congrats Paul! Always great story telling. I'm glad you had early success.

03-Sep-19

within the next hour we had camp and meat horse bound and down.
within the next hour we had camp and meat horse bound and down.
this was more than i wanted to back pack down by myself.
this was more than i wanted to back pack down by myself.
Sam was a great help, yea, young and strong.
Sam was a great help, yea, young and strong.

03-Sep-19

ON the way down I asked Sam, "do I now rank as a cowboy?" He looked at me and stated with a smile, "NOT REALLY". Damn I thought.

So there you have it, my Senior Moment this year while elk hunting in Colorado. Who knows that the future holds for me, but I will keep trying, and keep hunting and just keep placing one foot in front of the other. One more heart beat, one more big breath of air. Wild elk are special as the places they live. Now I have to wait eleven more months for my next elk hunting adventure so stay tuned, maybe there might be another senior moment.

I just finished processing the elk meat into burger, back straps, tenderloins, stew meat, and other cuts. Bowboy from Wyo will lend me his meat grinder so I will do all of the burger at home.

From start to finish it has been another adventure to share with my Bowsite friends. Thanks for following along and all of the kind words and encouragement

What else to say, well I hope you enjoyed this adventure and maybe I offered a few tips and hunting experience for your next elk hunt in the high mountains with bow in hand.

My best always, Paul

03-Sep-19
Fantastic...hope I can have a "Senior Moment" this Season as well...

Great Story and pics...Congrats Paul!

03-Sep-19
Paul, your threads never disappoint. Congratulations on the fine bull and good luck on the rest of your adventures this fall. I can't wait to read the recaps.

03-Sep-19
Very nice. Congrats Paul. And as alway...great story.

03-Sep-19
Way to go Paul. Great elk and a well told story!

03-Sep-19
Excellent story Paul...Big Congrats!!

03-Sep-19
Great job Paul!

03-Sep-19
Always look forward to your hunts!! Congrats!!

03-Sep-19
Now that's how to pack out an elk! Congrats an thanks taking the time to post you story.

03-Sep-19
Fantastic-congratulations on a great Elk!!

03-Sep-19
Congratulations!

03-Sep-19
Great story, great hunt, and great bull from what seems like great guy. Way to get it done Paul. Congrats

03-Sep-19
Very nice job Paul! You are the guy I hope to be when I'm getting older. As always your story and pics are great. Congrats on a dandy bull!

03-Sep-19
Love it Paul! Again, you are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing to us all.

03-Sep-19
Well done sir ??. Awesome story.

03-Sep-19
There’s nothing left to be said.

Congrats again Paul. I’m thrilled for you!

-Mitch

03-Sep-19
Awesome story Paul! Congrats on the bull!

03-Sep-19
Congrats again, Paul. Thank you for taking the time to take great pictures and write everything up for us. Another Bowsite classic to add to your many!!

03-Sep-19
Congrats Paul.... I dont know you at all but I would rather hunt with you than anybody but the two guys I go with now. Everything you do seems like such an adventure. always a great attitude too.

03-Sep-19
Tremendous accomplishment & Great thread to read...You are a wonderful inspiration for Us youngsters....I turn 66 this month & I'm in awe of you!

03-Sep-19
What an excellent thread! Great job on the recap Paul!

03-Sep-19
Excellent adventure

03-Sep-19
Awesome! Thanks for sharing and congrats!

03-Sep-19
Good for the soul to see a real hunter on here now and then, thanks for sharing the journey sir!

03-Sep-19
Congrats! Always a good read!

03-Sep-19
What’s the going rate for pack service these days?

03-Sep-19
Funny how elk triple in size after they are shot. My legs have gotten longer. I used to be able to touch them.

04-Sep-19
Brad that can vary for sure depending on the outfitter and distance to pack out.

My pack out of the meat was reasonable. One wrangler, and two pack horses, = $250

One other horse and pack animal for my camp was, =$200 ie, $100 per horse

Round trip about 4.5 hours from start to finish.

I tipped the wrangler and outfitter $50 each.

Outfitter can only pack in those units assigned to them

If I had to have done it all, the hospital bill would have been 10 times that ,and most likely no more senior moments..

04-Sep-19
Awesome job my friend!

Well done from start to finish!

Certainly provide buckets of inspiration to many of the young up and comers :-)

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experiences with us here !

04-Sep-19
Inspiration to me for sure! Thanks! I know you appreciate every day! God Bless the archer!

04-Sep-19
Congrats, thanks for sharing.

04-Sep-19
That's excellent Paul, congrats...

04-Sep-19
Nice reading, thanks for taking the time to send it out.

04-Sep-19
Paul, You are a true inspiration to all of us here! Thanks for making the time and sharing this awesome adventure with us. Enjoy the back straps and elk burgers.

04-Sep-19
Congratulations Paul!!!

I always enjoy your stories and adventures, thank you taking us along!

God Bless and Keep on, keeping on!

04-Sep-19
A perfect ending to a perfect hunt. Congratulations again Paul!

04-Sep-19
Awesome, simply awesome! Congrats and thank you for doing these threads for us Paul!

04-Sep-19
Well that ended quickly....

Great story, and congratulations Paul !

04-Sep-19
such a great story and event. well done paul

04-Sep-19
Incredible!

04-Sep-19
Thanks for sharing Paul - great bull! You really are an inspiration!

04-Sep-19
Great job man!

04-Sep-19
Paul@thefort- the original beast! Good job! I love hearing about your hunts!

04-Sep-19
I don't think it gets any better. I smiled through every word and photo. Congrats again.....sir!

04-Sep-19
Well done Paul! Congratulations on a fine bull and another excellent memory! If I ever grow up I hope I can be doing the things Paul does each year! Save some elk burger for Chase my friend. Thanks for sharing your pictures and story as always! God bless!

04-Sep-19
Loved every minute of that one. Thanks Paul.

04-Sep-19
Awesome story Paul. I give a lot of credit to you and others like you that take the time to take the pictures and tell the story. Thanks for sharing.

04-Sep-19
Congrats on a great hunt and a great story thanks for sharing Lewis

04-Sep-19
You're an inspiration to us seniors who may think we are too old to keep chasing elk.

And you generously take the time and effort to post.

Much appreciated.

04-Sep-19
Thanks Paul. Enjoyed the read!

04-Sep-19
Congratulations Paul. Like all the others have said. You not only inspire me but also motivate me. Regardless of age we all need to be aware of our overall health and fitness to enjoy family and all of our hobbies hunting or not. Thankyou for taking us all along on your hunt. I'd share my campfire with you anytime.

04-Sep-19
A fun story and talk about creating a memory with those pics, particularly the hit elk with you in the background! Wow! Congrats again ,Paul.

04-Sep-19
Someone borrowed my thoughts. When I grow up, I want to be just like Paul!

04-Sep-19
Congrats again Paul. All 3 chapters were terrific to follow along with. Will there be any more Senior Moments to share with us prior to hunting geese with Chase? Stay well, Jeff.

04-Sep-19
Well done all the way around!!

04-Sep-19
just got back to town last night - what? no 30 days in the woods this elk season. Nicely done, but what are you going to do for the rest of September?

I hear the fishing is good..

04-Sep-19
Congratulations Paul. Thanks for taking us along.

04-Sep-19
Thanks for sharing Paul, I've always enjoyed your flare for story telling along with the help and inspiration you provide here on the Bowsite... Many Congratulations

04-Sep-19
Awesome Senior moment my friend. Forrest

04-Sep-19
Very COOL Paul! Sorry we missed you at camp I heard you stopped by and chatted a bit. Drew got his bull the day you came through. I'm back up at it this weekend to fill my tag! Hope the luck holds for all 3 of us.

04-Sep-19
Good luck Bob. It was good talking with your dad. I understand he has a ML tag. I was told you were up hill somewhere packing. Tell Drew congrats and good luck to you also. I missed his breakfast burritos. I know you know how to get it done. Keep me advised. my best, Paul

04-Sep-19
Bowbirdhuntr. I have a eastern Colorado archery deer tag for this fall , Maybe a story will follow. Just might have to use the stick this time. Paul

04-Sep-19
Very nicely done! That was great. Thanks.

04-Sep-19
Good job Paul. So great to see you hangin' in there and enjoying these wonderful hunts.

04-Sep-19
Now go get one with a stick!!!

04-Sep-19
Now go get one with a stick!!!

04-Sep-19
Congrats Paul, great job!

04-Sep-19
What a great read Paul! Truly inspired and can't wait to read about your next adventure!!

05-Sep-19
Paul, excellent hunt, photos, write up and I bet meat in the freezer! Can’t beat it! Thanks for posting and giving us “younger old timers” motivation to keep at it into our 80’s.

05-Sep-19
I’m glad I was out of the country till just recently. I wouldn’t have gotten anything done, rechecking to see if any updates had been added!

Congrats on yet another terrific hunt, and an even better story, Paul! Like many others have stated, you are truly an inspiration to so many on here. Can’t wait to read the recap on your Eastern Colorado deer hunt as well. No doubt, the deer are in trouble!

05-Sep-19
Let me add another congratulations and a big thank you for taking us along with your pictures and narrative! It's almost like I got to do everything except get the sore muscles! Good luck the rest of the fall/seasons!!

05-Sep-19
John Wayne didn't have much on you their cowboy! haha

Thanks for sharing Paul

Good luck, Robb

05-Sep-19
Paul, I failed to follow instructions by reading Part 2 first... (lol) but I am impressed with how much effort you put into caring for the meat. More so, you awe by being disciplined and deliberate enough to preserve your health for future hunts. That's my take away from this thread because it's a difficult concept for a lot of guys to grasp me included. Great hunt and congrats.

05-Sep-19
Great storytelling Paul! Always a great pleasure to follow your adventures!

05-Sep-19
Your the best! How high was your treestand?

05-Sep-19
GBTG ie, Dave, the treestand was only 8 ft off the ground but tucked back just a little.

There was a 15ft pine tree 12 ft in front so if an elk came from the left or out in front in that direction, and passed behind I had a great chance to draw. From the right, the side the shot was, I had another tree on that side but plenty of room to draw and shoot as was the case. Also good back cover and mostly in the shade. I ranged most of the area and felt comfortable that I might get a 30 yards or less shot. In this case it was 18-20 yards and quartering away. The bull did not have a clue I was in the area. Fun when it ALL comes together and you are presented with one of those "slam dunk" shots. I am glad I held it all together. Thanks for the question. Paul

05-Sep-19
The only problem I see is that I was expecting to use up much more work time reading day after day of updates. Barely had time for a chipmunk to clean out a bowl here:)

05-Sep-19
Paul, Your senior moments are a heck of a lot better than mine !

Congratulations to you.

05-Sep-19
One of the coolest parts was you could see him go down. All that adrenaline could then pour into great feelings instead of slowly souring into anxiety, even when it finally turns to relief.

Nice to skip all that and go right to "did that really just happen?" and "wow...." before it gets to "what have I just gotten myself into....." =D

05-Sep-19
Another great "Paul at the Fort Adventure!" (and dead critter)!!!

Congrats and good luck on eastern CO deer!!!

Mark

05-Sep-19
Tough, honest, and real is what you are Paul! Your stories are a gift......badbull

05-Sep-19
Great story Paul. And Congratulations!!!

05-Sep-19
Nice work Paul! Very cool that you still do all this. Congratulations!

05-Sep-19
Badbull, Yea, "Tough, Honest" but the "real" part of this hunt is that after 5 days I have just recovered physically from the endeavor. All good though, and I hit the gym this morning at 7 am. and even better, I just woke up from an hour cat nap. :) my best, Paul

05-Sep-19
Well done

05-Sep-19
Congrats paul, thanks for sharing

05-Sep-19
Thanks for sharing Paul! You once again hit one out of the park!

05-Sep-19
Thanks for taking us along on your hunt, always enjoy your writing style and photos.

06-Sep-19
Congrats Paul!!!!

06-Sep-19
Great job, Paul, you did good, outstanding. Peter.

06-Sep-19
You are a great incentive to keep after it! Thanks for the inspiration and great hunting stories. You are rare good fellow.

07-Sep-19
Impressive Paul! Thank you for taking the time to take pics....something I struggle to do enough of on a hunt!

20-Sep-19
Outstanding Paul, simply OUTSTANDING!

Ha, Ha, "giddy-up, whoa-back there pilgrim"

20-Sep-19
Love it, well done!

21-Sep-19
Again Paul, thanks for sharing what was certainly a great "senior moment"!!

21-Sep-19
Great job Paul!

21-Sep-19
Awesome Paul! I missed the conclusion while I was on my elk hunt...awesome job on documenting it all! Congrats!!

21-Sep-19
Fantastic hunt Paul!

I watched you climb Heart Attack Ridge at the CBA jamboree some 14-15 years ago and thought "that dude is a beast". I am even more impressed now.

Thanks for sharing. Always enjoy your posts.

21-Sep-19
you are an inspiration to us all Paul.

21-Sep-19
Fantastic job and well written story. Thanks for sharing with us. The trail cam pic of the dead bull running is amazing!

22-Sep-19
Absolutely love it!

22-Sep-19
Paul, your the gift that keeps giving! All the senior bow hunters here are living vicariously thru your “senior” moments. Great to see you are ready as ever to get r done (the right way). Love the inclusion of all the planning angles too. You are spending your retirement perfectly as far as I can tell. Maybe Trish has other ideas but you do bring home mass quantities of the best table fare to be had so she can’t be too concerned. Thanks for sharing these great moments with all of us. Rich R.

22-Sep-19
Paul, your the gift that keeps giving! All the senior bow hunters here are living vicariously thru your “senior” moments. Great to see you are ready as ever to get r done (the right way). Love the inclusion of all the planning angles too. You are spending your retirement perfectly as far as I can tell. Maybe Trish has other ideas but you do bring home mass quantities of the best table fare to be had so she can’t be too concerned. Thanks for sharing these great moments with all of us. Rich R.

22-Sep-19
Hey Rich, thanks a lot. It seems I am heading back to the woods with a cow elk tag. A good friend just called and asked me if I want to go along and help him fill his tag during the last week of the season. Then I thought, maybe another Senior Moment is on the horizon with a cow elk tag in my pocket. My elk hunt this year was far to short so getting back out is good for the mind, body, and soul. my best, Paul

25-Sep-19
Wow, great reading. Thanks. Well told story

26-Sep-19
I've been enjoying reading your adventures for years, two thumbs up again!

27-Sep-19
Congrats Paul and thanks for taking the time to share your photos and story. Always a joy to read.

27-Sep-19
One of the most entertaining articles on the Bowsite, thanks for sharing

02-Oct-19
Thanks guys for the kind comments. There may be an archery deer story in the near future as I have a tag for eastern Colorado and will be heading that way next week..

my best, Paul

• Sitka Gear