nvgoat 06-Sep-19
hardcore247 06-Sep-19
elkster 08-Sep-19
HDE 08-Sep-19
RK 08-Sep-19
WapitiBob 08-Sep-19
06-Sep-19
Comments on customer service:

Called L&S to order some boots. First time trying them out. Guy wasn't too interested in my simply ordering boots without also buying their insoles and custom fit service. I finally ordered a pair in my usual size without the custom insoles or fit service. Eight days later I hadn't received any shipping info etc so called again. They had not even processed my order but said they would do it that day. This is on a pair of $450 boots.

I liked the boots and the fit was fine but after hiking many times in them I decided to try their insoles so called again to discuss. Again the guy was not too interested to sell me a pair of insoles ($54) without the additional custom fit service ($48). I talked with him about the process and said I was pretty handy and sure I could do it myself. He wasn't open about how it was done. Finally hung up. Later ordered a pair of L&S insoles from a different vendor. They come with a template to use for correct sizing with your boots. THEN YOU CUT THEM WITH A PAIR OF STANDARD SCISSORS. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. $48 dollars? Easy process to do yourself.

06-Sep-19
I’ve owned 3 pair of Lathrop & Sons boots (all with the custom insert) and never had an issue. In fact, they’ve pretty much gone out of their way to ensure the boots fit perfectly, even engaging in post delivery walk-through, exchange of photos, etc. With the last two pair I initially had some mild rubbing on top of my toes when the boots were brand new. However, they broke-in to a superb fit.

They are from a family of podiatrists and have a semi-custom process that they know works and try to stick to it. Know that June-August they are absolutely overwhelmed with last minute orders for the upcoming season, but they somehow get it all done.

As a positive note, when I arrived in Petropavlovsk last month I chatted with another hunter who noticed my boots and remarked how he was preparing for the sheep hunt he’d just finished and found the sole of his old (different, well known brand) boots separating about a month before his hunt. Said he worked with Steven and they got him the semi-custom boots in time to do some break-in, and he reported they were fantastic on the mountain.

Anyway, sorry you had a bad experience. I know it can and sometimes does happen, even with good companies. But these guys are pretty dedicated to the custom fit process that’s been their bread-and-butter for decades.

06-Sep-19
X2 Spiral Horn I have a little bit of a unique situation because of an accident I had with my foot 40 yrs. ago. But L&S was great. MY boots required special insoles due to my accident, and needed to be sent back for adjustment. Because of my situation they told me to be patient and this will take time to get the right fit. The boots now are the most comfortable thing I put on my feet. I would honestly like to wear them to work, but it would look a little odd wearing around the office. I wish I had called them years ago.

06-Sep-19
I've had positive experiences with their fitting procedure and so has my daughter. Picture exchanges, follow up calls, great fit.

Try it, you'll like it nvgoat.

06-Sep-19
You are all missing the point. I like the boots. I don't doubt that their custom fit service etc can work well for many people esp those with "unique situations". The point is they don't seem too excited to sell $450 boots or $54 insoles unless they get to skim the gravy from their "custom fitting". Eight days and an order is not even processed! In this day and age where free shipping and 2 day delivery is becoming the standard of service?

06-Sep-19
"Again the guy was not too interested to sell me a pair of insoles ($54) without the additional custom fit service ($48). I talked with him about the process and said I was pretty handy and sure I could do it myself. He wasn't open about how it was done."

maybe they thought you where the one trying to skim looking for DIY info on customizing the foot bed? After all if you just wanted their foot bed you can order it from the website by size and there would be no reason to call? I can see how there might be some trepidation on their part.

06-Sep-19
Trial153- I hear your point but the customizing is done with a pair of scissors. $48 dollars worth of cutting. Don't think so.

06-Sep-19
I think it is called growing pains. I had some miscommunication with an order I had on with them. After some back and forth it was all squared away though. Was it more of a hassle than it could have been? Yep. I did end up with exactly what I was after though so no complaints. I chalked it up to training new people that aren't as passionate about the business.

08-Sep-19
So, what you are seeking here is confirmation that 48 bux is too much to pay. For some it may be. For others, it's not. I don't fault them for being "not too interested" to sell you the product without you going through their process.

08-Sep-19
By asking someone to discount their price or offer something for near free of charge, is the same thing as telling them they don't have the right to make a good living like you do.

08-Sep-19
Nvgoat Mthe customizing is done with a pair of scissors

Where those scissors cut is what you are paying for

08-Sep-19
I called about insoles, the guy shipped them in a cpl days since they were out of stock. Never did he mention they “custom fit them”. I didn’t even know that was an option till I read it. Their gel insoles are darn nice, best I’ve ever used.

• Sitka Gear