Bou'bound 15-Sep-19
09-Sep-19

CPAhunter's embedded Photo
Lots to say about this
CPAhunter's embedded Photo
Lots to say about this

CPAhunter's Link

09-Sep-19
Its amazing the level of punishment these animals can endure.

09-Sep-19
Interesting to see that it caused no abnormality to the next year's antler growth.

09-Sep-19
Most unethical shot you can take

09-Sep-19
Which one is that lol

I have a lady down the street that feeds the deer all year and every once in a while she has one walk in with an arrow sticking out somewhere most are in the shoulder she hates all hunters but I keep telling her thay are not hunters as the area is a sanctuary and they are therefore just poachers !

09-Sep-19
I killed a nice 8 pt years ago. As I was cleaning him up for a photo I ran my hand up his nose and something cut my hand. Upon a closer look he had a tiny piece of metal sticking out of his nose about 3"s below his eyes. We grabbed a saw and cut out the skull plate. What we found was amazing it was a 2" piece of arrow with a 3 blade muzzy attached. The trocar tip is what cut my hand. The arrow had entered next to the right ear in on top of the head and went down thru into the nasal cavity, the only thing we could find wrong was he was blind in one eye as it was all whited out. It had been in there a while as it was all rusted up and encapsulated in the nasal cavity. I bet at least 2 years! Shawn

09-Sep-19
A Montana heart shot gone wrong. Tough deer right there. I have a pic somewhere I took of a buck with an arrow/BH sticking out of it's nose.

09-Sep-19
it might be fake photo - look at the shadows on the deer, different angle

09-Sep-19
I highly doubt it's fake. The arrow is in the sinus and there is scarring. Shadow looks normal

09-Sep-19
I think that stealthy cat is referring to the shadow of the arrow vs the shadow along the deer's neck. Based on all other shadows in the pic the sun is to the right (as you look at the picture) - the deer's right cheek is shaded, left cheek is not: sun is to the deer's left, but the arrow shadow seems to indicate that the sun is directly overhead.

If it's a fake, it's a pretty convincing one. Pete

09-Sep-19
It's not a fake it's just another pic showing a bad shot, poacher using archery tackle, etc etc. Happens each year Military would call it collateral damage. Is what it is.

09-Sep-19
I agree. Shadow is at a different angle under the arrow and darker.

09-Sep-19
You forensic guys are awesome

At least this time it's not a dog, cat, puppy, kitten etc.

09-Sep-19
It’s real- town that I live in. My guess is this deer was shot over a feeder since it has been right in town since late last fall in an area where people feed deer. Why a head shot- could be they were trying to drop it in its tracks and hoped it would not run onto the neighbors or over to the grocery store parking lot. From what I have been told there was more then one.

09-Sep-19
Thanks deerplotter. It's been on the news even down here for a year along with other similar stories.

Is what it is but the shadow forensics is still pretty cool

11-Sep-19
Pretty decent article defending bowhunters and all. Totally shocked at that.

11-Sep-19
You guys crack me up. There is obvious scar tissue around the arrow entry. Not sure how on earth you think the shadow is fake, considering you have no clue where the sun is. Ever seen a sun dial?

12-Sep-19
Poachers take head shots so do unethical bowhunters.

Could be on purpose or by accident. One more reason to avoid front shots as the animal can(and sometimes will) drop their head just as arrow is released.

I have been on blood trails with other hunters when this happens, not fun for the hunter or the animal. Rarely a successful recovery.Also have seen several deer taken that had broadheads, inserts or arrow damage in the antler due to misplaced "head shots".

That said when I was a kid the local bait shop had a deer skull with a broadhead placed in the brain cavity. Shot at a running deer, long distance with a trad bow. Dated sometime in the late 60s. One in a million shot. Not one I will take.

12-Sep-19
May have been an errant shot or the the intended target moved. They are live animals and can react. Unfortunately this happens.

12-Sep-19
Tough animals my friend had one on trail camera photos with full length shaft sticking out of its head blind in one eye .the next season 2 years ago killed the buck. Real hard to look at that skull and what that buck endured

12-Sep-19
I agree with those calling "fake" on this.

Until it is proven that a bowhunter would ever make a bad shot or a bad choice there is no reason to believe this is a legit incident.

14-Sep-19

LBshooter's embedded Photo
Not a fake my buddy shot at this deer and the deer moved its head right at the shot and this happened.

14-Sep-19

Top view

14-Sep-19
What the heck kind of a shot angle did he start out with?

Maybe a frontal gone bad?

14-Sep-19
Was the other shot ahead of the shoulder, the finishing shot or the first shot?

14-Sep-19

First shot, frontal, deer moved at the shot. Dropped instantly, no tracking needed. 70 lb, 600 grain arrow with a muzzy. So the first pic is most likely real, just a lighter weight bow and shot lower on the snout. He shot another young deer walking around with a row in the back of its head, feeding and walking just fine, so he took it out.

14-Sep-19

First shot, frontal, deer moved at the shot. Dropped instantly, no tracking needed. 70 lb, 600 grain arrow with a muzzy. So the first pic is most likely real, just a lighter weight bow and shot lower on the snout. He shot another young deer walking around with a row in the back of its head, feeding and walking just fine, so he took it out.

14-Sep-19
Just ask Thornton. He’s excellent at forensics from pictures and will tell you exactly what happened. He’s always right, just ask him.

14-Sep-19
Funny thing…

I just went back up to the top of the Strand and took another look at that dear. If nothing else that shot shows you just how incredibly small a deer’s brain actually is.

Almost seems kind of odd that we need so much technology to kill them on a regular basis!

:p

14-Sep-19
Quinn- I look for minute details that kill people on a daily basis. You sit in an office or look at shingles.

14-Sep-19

WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
 WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
Sometimes things happen. No matter how hard you try, sometimes things just go wrong.

14-Sep-19
I’m callin’ BS on that, Westie! Everybody knows you can’t do that with a stick!

Damn! I guess it’s good to get lucky when your luck goes south....

14-Sep-19
Thornton there you go again thinking you know everything but in fact you know nothing. Now go back to changing bed pans. LOL.

15-Sep-19
I’m callin’ BS on that, Westie! Everybody knows you can’t do that with a stick!

Damn! I guess it’s good to get lucky when your luck goes south....

15-Sep-19
1bad photo in the paper and we voluntarily add five more here

• Sitka Gear