BNicely 11-Sep-19
Yellowjacket 11-Sep-19
yooper89 11-Sep-19
INDBowhunter2 14-Sep-19
INDBowhunter2 14-Sep-19
plenty coups 18-Sep-19
Treeline 18-Sep-19
09-Sep-19
Id love to chase a sheep but the price tag is fairly steep and my midwestern status puts the draw a long ways out. Are there any great opportunities to hunt ewes? Im as interested in the space that they occupy as I am in the trophy and think this might be one way to try my hand at sheep hunting. Ive debated the same thing on moose since it might be a touch more budget friendly. Thanks!

09-Sep-19
You can do a bull moose hunt in Ontario for $6k.

Sheep, I imagine you’re going to pay big money for regardless due to time and effort, and the fact that you need a guide in Canada or Alaska.

09-Sep-19
Colorado non resident ewe tags can be draw on 1st choices no guide needed. The tag fee is the same a ram tag. Adventure is the same. They are blast to hunt. I killed a ewe during my wait period after taking a ram. I've been on 2 ewe hunts with my kids since I think those may be the only sheep tags they ever draw. Sandbrew

09-Sep-19
Only issue with ewe tags is you are almost guaranteed to have a nice ram stand at 20 yard broadside. It's like they know :^)

Fun hunt, same country, just less horn to pack.

09-Sep-19

Sandbrew's embedded Photo
Sandbrew's embedded Photo

09-Sep-19
There's good odds on Nevada Ewes as well, but the price is high at $1800 for the tag.

10-Sep-19
NR is $2211 for goat and sheep in Colorado. I can justify a $2000 cow moose tag with 400 lbs of meat but a 2k ewe tag, holy crap.

10-Sep-19
+2 on the comment above!

I had a 165” Desert Ram at 25 yards during my NV ewe hunt a few years ago. The unit isn’t known for big rams so he was probably the biggest in the unit.

I was damn near as excited drawing on the Desert ewe as a Stone Sheep Ram a few months earlier...

10-Sep-19
I did a Colorado ewe hunt in 1991. I know that was a long time ago. I did it for the reasons that you mentioned. I actually drew it as a second choice. I doubt you could do that today. I am glad I did it as it is the only sheep hunt I will experience. I didnot fill the tag although I probably should have done so. The experience is something no one can take away from me.

10-Sep-19
Glunt, I went along on a Ewe hunt with a friend years ago and a really good Ram stood up between us and the Ewe my friend was going to shoot, keeping him from shooting it. Disappointing but still pretty cool.

10-Sep-19
If you want the experience go for it. I did a ewe hunt a few years ago and it was a blast. Doubt you will save much money as mentioned above, but the drawing odds are much better. Sheep live in beautiful country.

10-Sep-19
How many years for some of these ewe hunts, could a guy “expect” to draw a tag?

10-Sep-19
Not all hunts are the same. I had a friend draw an archery ewe tag and go home empty handed, except for the experience of bowhunting sheep!

10-Sep-19
M. Pauls, a NR could draw a Ewe tag in Colorado the first year they apply or at least within a very few years depending on demand.

10-Sep-19
Thanks Rock. That could be a pile of fun. I may have to dig into that a little for the future

10-Sep-19
as a resident, it looks like you can reliably draw one with 3 points or so, that's what I will be doing next year or the year after. I'd rather hunt a ewe now than a ram in 15-20 years

10-Sep-19
Drew a desert ewe in Nevada a few years ago. Saw tons of sheep. Not sure they even allow non-residents to apply in the unit I drew now. It was a fun hunt, saw one huge ram, quite a few good rams. Had a 140ish ram at 30 yards. Ended up shooting a 8 1/2 yr old ewe if I remember correctly. I drew the very first year applying, the very first year the allowed non-residents to apply for ewe tags

10-Sep-19

Yellowjacket's embedded Photo
Yellowjacket's embedded Photo
Ewes are a fun hunt! I also drew a ewe tag in Colorado on a 2nd choice tag years ago (late 90's I guess, I forget what year). It was another 10-12 years before I drew a ram tag. All the experience of a sheep hunt but no pressure on a ewe hunt to decide if it's big enough. Well other than horns have to be 5" in Colorado. The ewe I shot is on the ledge to the left partially obscured by a boulder.

11-Sep-19
Drew a CO resident ewe second choice the same year I drew 5 other tags in CO, UT and AZ. Should have turned it in as I never had the time to hunt it. Would have been fun in the same unit as I arrowed 2 rams.

I would go on a ewe hunt in a heart beat if The tag was available.

11-Sep-19

BNicely's embedded Photo
Alex Nicely Ewe
BNicely's embedded Photo
Alex Nicely Ewe
My son Alex took this ewe at the Trinchera Ranch hunt in Southern Colorado a few years ago. It is a January hunt, so it's a unique adventure that late in the season. The other 8 hunters here were rifle hunters so it took several days for things to 'settle down'. He was able to tag this one on the second to last day of the 9 day season.

11-Sep-19
Great picture Brian. No snow in January that year.

11-Sep-19
The more times I come across this thread, the more tempting the idea of a ewe hunt has become. Burn the points on a ewe then put in for a random DBHS tag for the rest of my life. The only thing that's holding me back is that RMBS ram might be my favorite animal on earth. I so badly want to hunt a ram someday but just don't ever see myself in the financial position to pay for a hunt. Something about those thick bases and full curls that just gets me all riled up.

14-Sep-19
Drew a desert ewe in Nevada a few years ago. Saw tons of sheep. Not sure they even allow non-residents to apply in the unit I drew now. It was a fun hunt, saw one huge ram, quite a few good rams. Had a 140ish ram at 30 yards. Ended up shooting a 8 1/2 yr old ewe if I remember correctly. I drew the very first year applying, the very first year the allowed non-residents to apply for ewe tags

14-Sep-19
Double post??

18-Sep-19
Got a ewe tag a few years back when I lived in MT. Tag cost the same as hunting a ram. Odds of the draw were 50/50. ewes and rams were together so no different than hunting a ram in my case. Neither are large animals body wise. She was the best game I have ever eaten. Absolutely fantastic. Spectacular views from the cliffs down to the river. Altitude wasn't bad were I was but it is STEEP. Go for it!

18-Sep-19
Like many above, I drew a ewe tag on second choice back in the early 90’s here in Colorado.

Same unit as Kurt.

Only hunted for a long weekend as it was cutting into mule deer and elk hunting and I really didn’t give it much credit as it was a second choice tag. Heck, I thought I would be able to draw a ewe tag every year on second choice for a point and a tag! It was a fun couple of days but did not close the deal.

Kicking myself for not staying focused and killing one back then... Drawing a ewe on second choice is a thing of the past. Most of the ewe hunts actually take points to draw these days!

Until I draw and kill a Rocky and Desert in Colorado, ewes in Colorado are likely off the menu...

• Sitka Gear