wyobullshooter 11-Sep-19
GF 11-Sep-19
Irishman 11-Sep-19
'Ike' (Phone) 11-Sep-19
BULELK1 12-Sep-19
Mt. man 12-Sep-19
GF 12-Sep-19
10-Sep-19
We are getting some in the High country this week/Wednesday and It's going to be that wet heavy stuff.

Makes for Fall Color and Snow pix looking good.

Be safe all out here in Utah/Idaho/Wyoming chasing them dang elk.

Good luck, Robb

10-Sep-19
Yuck....no thanks!

10-Sep-19
Agree with Nick! I hate snow with a passion during my archery hunts!

ElkNut/Paul

10-Sep-19

TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
Just the opposite - I like it best!

10-Sep-19
When the snow flies my archery elk season ends lol.

10-Sep-19
Yep, snow during archery season just plain SUCKS!!!

10-Sep-19
JMO, anyone who complains about the weather while he’s hunting should’ve stayed home to begin with.

If you can’t enjoy the privilege of being out there without weather that’s just to your liking, you should maybe take up golf or tennis.... something you can play indoors.

I’ll say this, though... last time I got to hunt Elk, I got dumped on and it got into low 20s. My drop-away froze up and cost me a shot opportunity while a whole herd passed right below me.

That was it. No more mechanical bows; I’m better off inside of about 40 with a Stickbow anyway. And I will never hunt out there again without a nuke-proof fire starting kit . I’m pretty handy with the basics, but when EVERYTHING in the woods has been soaked with wet, sloppy snow, the temp is dropping, and you need a fire, you need it By God NOW.

Norwegians say there is no bad weather, only inadequate preparation. I always thought I was good to go, but yeah, man.... FIRE.

10-Sep-19
been alone in qc caribou camps and fire was no. 1 every trip out out of camp plus orange vest. been in heavy snows mid august up there.

10-Sep-19
It is a good thing Matt is not strongly opinionated around here................. LOL

I will never forget last weekend of 2016 and snow coming down HARD nearly collapsing my tent......20" fell as I recall. I traipsed all over looking for fresh tracks.....and found some......of another hunter circling the same area I was.

10-Sep-19
Well, you know what they say about opinions.....

10-Sep-19
"JMO, anyone who complains about the weather while he’s hunting should’ve stayed home to begin with." LOL

It depends what and where I'm hunting if I welcome a little snow or not. A light dusting is ok anytime, a foot of heavy wet is not. The real question is, how will the e-bike perform on the snow, and will the cold effect the battery?

10-Sep-19

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
Idaho 2017...12 days of suckage!

10-Sep-19
How can you talk about “suckage” when you got to be outside all day long?

A good amount of snow can move a whole lot of Elk to lower ground, though... might have to do some serious relocation to get within MILES of a herd....

But DUUUUUDE - you got to go HUNTING! How much better does it get???

10-Sep-19
That why you bring a single string bow.

Snow in high country last 3 seasons came early and stayed North of 90.

Bow Huntin elk in snow is the bees knees. We cant all hunt AZ and NM every year!

KH~

10-Sep-19
I love it! Usually is gone pretty quick but cooler temps and a couple inches of fresh snow is welcome in my elk season any year.

10-Sep-19
-10 with fresh snow? Love it cause it keeps the riff raff out. But I’m a flat lander hunting whitetail not elk. I don’t claim to know anything about the mountains.

11-Sep-19
"A good amount of snow can move a whole lot of Elk to lower ground, though"

Correct...right off the public land, on to the Private ranches! Finally found elk on public land, that I had to walk in 3 miles for each Day...good luck sneaking up on bedded elk in that crunchy crap (and yes, they were bedded before Daylight every Day).

Peak rut, silent bulls. Yeah, it was "Paradise"...lol !

11-Sep-19
I'm neutral on snow. But I left my chains at home, so I don't need that shit in my life this archery season ahaha!

Good looking out for posting this though. I doubt I'll see snow where I'm at, but it just might make someone bring some longjohns, or plan better up north.

11-Sep-19
Sure makes for great spot-n-stalk tracking in the fresh snow/fresh tracks.

Like most aspects in life, some good, some not so good with snow.

Good luck, Robb

11-Sep-19
I like snow. Nothing wrong with it to hunt in as long as it’s not too deep. This time of year, it likely won’t be crunchy crap. It’s going to be wet. Makes for good sneaking.

11-Sep-19
Bring on the snow! I saw piles of elk in 2017, I feel like they were pushed down to the lower elevation that I was hunting due to more snow at higher elevations. I was hunting in about 8 inches of snow.

11-Sep-19

Snow removes a lot of the guesswork and quiets the stalk. Way better than crunchy leaves. I can take it or leave it though. I'll take whatever the Lord dishes out that day. Just not real big on heavy downpours, but I'll still be out there if I have the time off.

11-Sep-19
You know what REALLY sucks...................................................sitting back here on the East Coast watching all your hunting buddy's leave for Colorado and Montana and getting on bowsite to live vicariously thru others and seeing guys COMPLAIN about the weather, while doing what I would LOVE to be doing! ;-)

11-Sep-19
Still gonna hunt, but I like to stay dry. Especially when backpack hunting. Just adds a whole other element.

11-Sep-19
Rut Nut, true! One more year of sitting here 'back east', then I'm moving BACK to Montana again, or WA. Been too long without an elk in range... It can hail for all I care, I just wanna be there...

11-Sep-19
"This time of year, it likely won’t be crunchy crap. It’s going to be wet. Makes for good sneaking."

Jason, I agree with you on many things, but this ain't one! ;-) I don't know what mountains you hunt, but they're certainly different from the ones I do. Thankfully, when it does snow this time of year, typically it's only on the ground for 2-3 days. Normally it does soften up by late morning, however it also dips down into the teens and 20's at night. When that softened snow crusts over during the night, it's anything BUT quiet! I'll take crunchy needles/leaves over that any day of the week. Another problem with snow is, if the bulls are talking good, where I hunt it shuts them down for a few days. Always has, no exception. Good luck going spot and stalk in the thick stuff I hunt. As I said, there's no "sneaking up" on them when you sound like a herd of elephants in a bowl of Rice Krispies. I used to love tracking snow back in the day when I rifle hunted, but I haven't done that since the early 80's. There's also other reasons, such as what Jeff pointed out.

So yes, I HATE snow during archery season. Just like I'm not fond of having to saw through a couple dozen logs before I can even begin taking care of an 800lb bull that decided to die in the worst possible hole in a sea of downfall. Nor am I a fan of being descend upon by hordes of flies, yellow jackets, and black hornets when I finally get to the point I can actually start working on the elk. Nor do I particularly enjoy being caught in a sudden windstorm while I'm in heavy timber, half of which are beetle-killed trees that are just looking for an excuse to come crashing down and ruin my day.

I've been hunting elk for a long time, and I realize it's filled with constant challenges...some worse than others. I deal with them and make the necessary adjustments, but it darn sure doesn't mean I have love them.

11-Sep-19
We had exactly that last week in N.W. Colo., you buggered up everywhere you went. We didn`t get any relief until the last day, then the blowdowns were slippery than snot in a baggie. You just can`t win.

11-Sep-19
“You know what REALLY sucks...................................................sitting back here on the East Coast watching all your hunting buddy's leave for Colorado and Montana and getting on bowsite to live vicariously thru others and seeing guys COMPLAIN about the weather, while doing what I would LOVE to be doing!”

See? I’m NOT the only one!

11-Sep-19

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Lunch time yesterday snow rain mix. I was have a heat stroke three hours later

11-Sep-19
Of course you’re not GF. Funny thing is, the only ones complaining about others complaining are the one’s sitting in their comfy office back east that don’t have to deal with the crap. Amazing how that works.

11-Sep-19
Trade ya!

11-Sep-19
I'd prefer not to have snow, or even worse lots of rain. The cold doesn't bother me that much, it's the wet feet, because eventually your feet do get wet. I enjoy the camping experience as well as the hunting, doing things like sitting around the camp fire at night. I used to hunt 10 days straight when I was working, so I hunted no matter what the weather. Now that I'm retired I keep looking at the weather forecast and deciding when and where to hunt.

11-Sep-19
Makes spot -n- stalk easier...

:-)

12-Sep-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
It's the day after it melts and it is adding 2 inches of mucky mud to the bottom of your boots!!!

The shaded area's keep the snow a little bit longer.

That's always a treat-------->

12-Sep-19

Mt. man's embedded Photo
Mt. man's embedded Photo
Some of the best bugling I have ever had was in snow. Harvested several in snow. I'll take it over the firecracker dry limbs, leaves and buck brush in my area. It's been so dry the last couple years. Def. take snow over rain.

12-Sep-19
That’s an awesome photo!

Remind me of one afternoon when I followed a doe muley and her fawns all the way down off the hill… I never quite caught up with them enough to feel like they were in range, and frankly it was just too darn peaceful out there to interrupt it anyway.

• Sitka Gear