spike78 10-Sep-19
elkmtngear 10-Sep-19
WHOCARES 10-Sep-19
bowhuntress 11-Sep-19
coelker 11-Sep-19
WHOCARES 12-Sep-19
WHOCARES 12-Sep-19
10-Sep-19
While guiding this week got my husband - wife team set up one even and I did an initial call and looked across an opening to see a lion step out and stare at me. Ranged him 175 yds. First daytime sighting I've had so admired him through my binoculars and took a couple pics. Then stood in the open and raised my arms. Didn't make noise since we were hunting. He just sat down and kept staring. Watched him with the glasses some more. Large cat and very impressive. But hoped he'd leave. After a few minutes he stepped back into the dark timber. Glad he left! 15 minutes later I happened to look way to my left and there he was 80 yds away staring at me. I stepped out again and raised my arms. He then stepped off the log and crouched and slinked slowly towards me as I watched through the glasses! Impressive but not the behavior I wanted! Wondered how fast he could cover the 80 yds as i unsnapped the strap on my holster! waved my arms again and he got back on the log and layed down stretched out always staring at me. After a couple minutes he got behind the log with just his head peeking over staring. Decided I should alert my hunters and probably move. Walked over to them and suggested we move a couple hungred yards. They were ready! Was pretty cool to see but didn't think that was the behavior I needed! When I told the outfitter I work for he said not to worry, they don't like aged meat! No respect! Hunted that same spot two nights later and no lion. Kind of a get back on the horse deal! Pic s on my phone and will try to send one.

10-Sep-19

WHOCARES's embedded Photo
WHOCARES's embedded Photo
Here's a pic. Not the greatest.

10-Sep-19
Iv read that only the African cats can stomach old meat haha pretty cool encounter though!

10-Sep-19
What state? I saw two in Colorado three years ago.

10-Sep-19
Damn, that's pretty cool...

10-Sep-19
been there done that with only my bow, was calling for my son and the cat got within 20 yards of my son before he saw it. Son was only 13ish and it scared him. He bow hunts with a side arm now and I don't think he will ever not. He said the cat crouched low over it's front paws and swished it butt and tail side to side as it decided whether to pounce or not. I finally decided something was wrong and stood up and scared it off when we saw each other.

oz

10-Sep-19
In between hunts in New Mexico I was scouting with a hunter,and we got into a herd of elk that was barking and running around.I knew that we hadn't spooked them,so I was crouched down looking under the pinon trees,and seen a big tom lion.H e was only 40 yds. out and I lip squeeked to him,and here he came.My hunter was about 10 yds. behind me,and the lion continued up to 15 yds. from me while looking through me.He tested the wind,and turned,and went straight away from us.I looked at the hunter,and his eyes was as big as headlights.We had quite the story to tell the new hunters coming into camp.

10-Sep-19
I had one watch me at 62 yards for ten minutes while I was elk hunting in western CO in 2014. After he left, I kept hunting.

10-Sep-19
A kid was just recently attacked in CO if you guys haven’t seen it. Glad their aren’t any here in MA or maybe a couple ha.

10-Sep-19

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
Over the Years, I've had one at 15 feet, and one at 8 feet. Got a good phone pic of the closer one.

Both slowly walked away, once they figured out I wasn't what they expected (from my calling).

10-Sep-19
Colorado.

11-Sep-19
I had a similar experience in unit 16A NM several years ago. My husband was filming me and we were sitting in a natural vegetation blind above a water hole. I spotted a lion coming down the opposite mountain. We made little movement, but it must have been enough to pique his interest. He came a long distance across the valley in a low crouching slink, never taking his eyes off of us. He came to about 40 yards and my husband says in a shaking, quavering voice...and I quote " That s.o.b is stalking us! YOU better scare him away!" So I stand up in the blind and stomp my feet and shout HA!, HA! several times. He keeps coming. He's now at about 30 yds. My husband says in an even more quavering voice "That SOB is still stalking us! YOU better GET OUT THERE and scare him away!" So I get out of the blind and head toward him, arrow knocked. I start really yelling and stamping my feet as I head toward him. He slows some, but does not exit until I get about 25yds from him (I was banking on their shy nature and my aggressive approach). He finally loped away. When I come back to the blind, my husband says " Were you going to shoot him if he came for you?". I said "No, I was going to let him bite me!" True story and on video. Btw, I'm not married to him anymore! Lol!

11-Sep-19
I have seen 15 lions in the wild now without the use of dogs. Only one so far this year...

On one hunt when my wife and we newly weds we were above Ft. Collins on archery elk hunt. We went to and area normally packed with elk and nothing. As we hiked though parks we noticed a ton of the mole/vole mounds were dug. I did not look close but found it odd, and figured/hoped it was a bear as I had a bear tag. We rounded a corner on an elk trail in the aspen, and only 12 yards in front of me was a large lion. It was walking away on the trail. I froze, my wife froze. We watched her step off the trail and dig a vole out, then let it go and one of her 2 cubs(which we had not seen) grabbed it and had a snack. I had my arrow knocked in case things went south. We watched the 3 lions work out of the aspen patch and into a small park digging voles. The cubs were obviously learning etc. But they never knew we were there... They fed off out of sight and then we hurried out of there...

Another lion came in while I was calling predators. I had a lion tag and picked a specific area known for lion to try and call with my hand calls. Long story short I looked to my left and sawa cat crouched down at less than 3 paces. I swung the gun and shot it. When I raised my scope I can still see the lion rolling its wrist as if it was stretching.

Lions are cool and I have been blessed to see many, however one is messing my hunt up right now. 3 weeks ago a lion showed up on a water hole where I had regular elk sightings. Since then the elk went from daily visitors to only seeing them once every 4-5 days. Instead of 20 elk there are only 3 at a time...

12-Sep-19
Wendy, not surprised you're not married to him anymore! I'd be afraid of a woman too that challenged a lion face to face. Lol. Neat story

12-Sep-19
Rob, lions keeping the elk away may be happening now to me too. Where there was a large herd, I hunted that spot two evenings later and virtually nothing. And that spot normally quite good.

• Sitka Gear