x-man 11-Sep-19
Ziek 11-Sep-19
Joe Holden 11-Sep-19
x-man 11-Sep-19
badguybuster 11-Sep-19
10-Sep-19

badguybuster's embedded Photo
badguybuster's embedded Photo
I was playing around with heavier FOCs this evening and this one impressed me. 300 grains up front (200 grain FP with 100 grain insert) on a 250 Black Eagle Carnivore shaft (30"). My bow is dialed down to 60# currently. This was at 30 yards. The broadhead block was up against the elk as a back stop.

10-Sep-19
Shoot at 40 & 50 yds to get a really good flavor of how your arrow is flying. Sometimes I think FOC can be to the extreme that is more of enemy than a friend.

10-Sep-19
FOC is important, but extreme FOC is one of the most unnecessary things in bowhunting.

11-Sep-19
I was surprised but the flight path. It was very flat and nearly identical the flight of my normal 200 grain set up.

11-Sep-19
It doesn't matter where the added weight is at, just as long as the spine of the arrow is correct for the added weight. That extra 200 grains will give that extra penetration regardless if it is in the tip or in the shaft itself.

11-Sep-19
"That extra 200 grains will give that extra penetration regardless if it is in the tip or in the shaft itself."

Not necessarily true. Too many other variables involved that are effected by FOC.

11-Sep-19
Good thing i only run 78# :) I tried some arrows this spring/summer that were 16% FOC and they ran well and had devastating results on 4 pigs. However they really opened my groups up at longer ranges. Believe this was due to a weak spined arrow. Current arrow set up is somewhere between 12-13% and this range is very consistent. And after going through the offside knuckle of a mule deer a week ago, don't think I'm missing much at a lower %

11-Sep-19
Yes Ziek, it is exactly true. The weight is providing the penetration, period.

Everyone needs to find that happy medium where to apply added weight (for penetration). Arrow spine needs to handle the weight both at release from the bow and when striking the intended target.

Now, there may be arrow flight advantages with increased FOC but, that's a separate topic with regard to penetration.

11-Sep-19
This is my first year (in over 35 of hunting) using a compound so its all a new area for me. I hunted with self bows/stone points most of my life. I used a moderate FOC on them but this is a hoot to mess around with.

• Sitka Gear