Brian M. 11-Sep-19
Scott/IL 11-Sep-19
buzz mc 11-Sep-19
Bentstick54 11-Sep-19
WV Mountaineer 11-Sep-19
JL 11-Sep-19
Will 11-Sep-19
11-Sep-19
I was checking cams on public land the other day and found 3 tampered with. One flipped around and facing the tree, one with the battery's removed, and another thrown on the ground facing up. Lots of pics of nothing to delete. I spend a lot of time scouting, and I don't need the down time caused by some inconsiderate clown. So I'm thinking of hanging them out of reach for those of you that do, any advice in getting set at the right angle ?

11-Sep-19
Good point. We had the same problem in the past. My buddy invented a cool system for hanging them higher in a tree. I think he charges $20 for 3 units, it's a great idea. PM me and I will get his contact info to you. G

11-Sep-19
Make up a couple of these - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru5_r3y1dNI

They also sell commercial versions cheap enough. Bring a set of lightweight ladder sections or steps and set your cams 10 feet up.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/optics/cameras/trail-cameras-accessories/pc/104791680/c/104752080/sc/104243580/i/103867380/reconyx-universal-camera-mount/2339038.uts?slotId=2

11-Sep-19
I've made a variation of the do-it-yourself with a 4" square piece of plywood and t-nuts. Strap it to a tree, mount camera and adjust to any angle.

11-Sep-19
You could also go low. Ground level low. Hide the camera in rocks, roots, brush, etc. I've done both and at 6'6" I don't need a ladder, I just reach as high as I can to mount it. If you're getting that much human interference, you may not be hunting in the right area.

11-Sep-19
I carry in a climbing stick and hang them up a bit higher and just out of reach. I just use a stick behind the top of the camera to angle it downward. So far, so good on them staying put, and they are not as noticeable to that big ol buck you’re after.

11-Sep-19

buzz mc's embedded Photo
buzz mc's embedded Photo
Same as Scott/IL.

11-Sep-19
Your lucky they are not stealing them.

11-Sep-19
It was likely bears unless the one facing the tree had been unstrapped.

11-Sep-19
^x2....I wondered that too. Very common to have bears check out cams if they have some type of smell on them.

11-Sep-19
I strap em up high, going in with a climbing stick. I'm 6 feet, so if i stand on the top of a climbing step I can easily put it 10-12 feet up. I use a stick to create angle for "aiming".

I learned a trick a week or two ago while watching a hunting public video that already is one of my favorites. Once I think the angle is good, I put my phone on "selfie" mode and place it against the cam, so the angle is the same as the game cameras. Now I snap a pic. Take a look... is it aimed where you hoped? if not, adjust. I is a simple little strategy that works.

That all said, I've been known to also place one inside a stump mostly covered with wood/leaves or inside a stone wall.

• Sitka Gear