grizzley21 11-Sep-19
Buglmin 11-Sep-19
JohnMC 11-Sep-19
eddie c 11-Sep-19
Glunt@work 11-Sep-19
SDHNTR(home) 12-Sep-19
wv_bowhunter 12-Sep-19
11-Sep-19
My back is really screwed up and I can’t carry a heavy pack. Doc says not to do anything that compresses my spine. So I want one of those fanny packs with the shoulder straps. I have a regular fanny pack and as soon as I put so much as a water bottle in it, it slips down past my ass. Hence the shoulder straps... got any suggestions for me?

11-Sep-19
I really like the Nimrod hunting daypack systems. Works very well, fully customizable and very durable.

11-Sep-19
Badlands Monster.

11-Sep-19

eidsvolling's Link
Alps Outdoorz Big Bear. Be sure to get the optional pockets that attach to the straps in front. Extremely useful, durable pack and even more comfortable to wear:

11-Sep-19
A good backpack with an internal frame would probably do a better job of keeping weight off your shoulders. Sounds to me a fanny pack with shoulder straps would be compressing your spine just as bad as a backpack and possible worse.

11-Sep-19
Maybe you can find a used Kifaru Scout (now discontinued). Works great with shoulder straps and with or without a belt.

11-Sep-19
Bison Gear

11-Sep-19
I know it's always easier to question but I question that as well. If the same fanny that will fall down on it's own no longer falls once you are wearing shoulder straps, that means the shoulder straps are taking the weight. Not really any different than what you can do with a good pack (which you may already have) Sounds to me like you either go pure fanny and know you're not doing anything to compress the back, or use any of the above at your own risk. If you tighten the hip belt on a pack, it's basically the same deal but better than a fanny with shoulder straps.

11-Sep-19
My Kifaru puts 90% of the weight on my hips. The shoulder straps don’t even touch the top of my shoulders.

11-Sep-19
^^^^ hunted with Fanny packs for years and he’s got the answer for you.

11-Sep-19
I have a bad back as well. I have been using the ll bean day pack for 7 years. Only change I made was adding a water bladder. One of the most comfortable packs I have used. Liked it so well I bought the upland version.

11-Sep-19
Crooked Horn Trailblazer II. It's got a back flap with a pouch, that you can strap a bow, rifle, or even a front quarter of an elk in.

Super comfy, waterproof. I have shot 3D Tournaments with it on, I never feel like I need to take it off.

11-Sep-19
I got a fanny pack with shoulder straps from Bass Pro and I love it. Can still use my back quiver and don't interfere with my pistol on my hip.

11-Sep-19
when I use one,, I put the pack facing forward, no problems with it falling down,,

11-Sep-19
Try to find a Eberlestock Tailhook. One of the best fanny/lumbar packs I've used. If not that,nothing contact Lennis at Crooked Horn for one of his trail blazers, or Badlands Monster. Nice thing about the Eberlstock is it don't sag like most of the ones mentioned above when you have a load in it. That's the one I use a lot because of my back. Great harness system and very adjustable.

11-Sep-19
Another option...You might check with Kim Kardashian on who she uses for butt implants. That would help with it slipping down your ass! I know the feeling the one place I don't have to worry about putting on extra weight.

11-Sep-19
I bought a pair of suspenders and put on my old fanny pack. Last year I upgraded to a Badlands monster. It rides on my hips better.

11-Sep-19
I have used the Badlands Monster since they came out. I like to have less mass on my upper body when sneaking through timber or when putting on miles in warm weather.

12-Sep-19
You guys may be right about the spine compression being just as bad as a pack. Again, because of no ass, I have a real hard time keeping a heavy pack entirely on my hips too. It slips down and then pains my hip flexors and glutes. So I need to keep it 60/40-50/50 Ish between hips and shoulders. I just want to try something different. If nothing else, maybe it will keep me from carrying so much crap! Thanks for all the suggestions.

12-Sep-19
I primarily hunt whitetail from preset treestands and continually struggle with finding the right pack. I don’t pack a lot of “gear” but need something get my heavy outer layers to the stand so I don’t overheat. I recently picked up a Tenzing TZ 1250 lumbar pack with the shoulder harness. I haven’t used it hinting yet but loaded up I really like the way it fits and feels. When situated properly on my hips the harness doesn’t have much of the weight but does support it enough to prevent it from sliding down. I’m looking forward to trying it out this fall.

• Sitka Gear