Screwball 15-Sep-19
Northwoods 16-Sep-19
t-roy 16-Sep-19
Grubby 16-Sep-19
Grubby 07-Dec-19
12-Sep-19

JB's embedded Photo
JB's embedded Photo
Not sure if this is a Bowsiter and he doesn’t appear to be long arming... Holy crap! What a toad!!

12-Sep-19
Check the WI page for updates

12-Sep-19
That’s big for a GRIZ!

12-Sep-19
Glad I didn’t have to help him drag that thing out! Hoping to shoot one HALF that size!

Minnesota bear, I’m assuming?

12-Sep-19
really nice BEAR. NOT a toad!

12-Sep-19
I believe it was Polk County Minnesota. Just a beast!!

12-Sep-19
718 dressed what’s live weight 760? Wow

12-Sep-19
And I could be wrong, but I believe GF was saying that size would be big IF it was a Griz.

Screwball - not sure what you mean?

12-Sep-19
He means its big even if it had been a griz.

12-Sep-19
Uh oh- looked at the WI thread. Looks like the guy is NOT an upstanding citizen... allegedly...

12-Sep-19
“He means its big even if it had been a griz”

Indeed. JB is not mistaken.

12-Sep-19
He’s going to need a Griz form to mount it.

12-Sep-19
Got Wi site, look at MN bear hunt scroll down to : skookumjt link read the facebook post from his ex-sister in law a guide. I wont copy and post off facebook

12-Sep-19
HH is that some kind of code? And how do you know he’s a greenhorn?? And what gives with the KH?? ?

13-Sep-19
Some people have a very difficult time with reading comprehension. Reminds me of an old saying about looking for red. (Let’s see how that can get taken out of context now)

Anyhoo, awesome bear!

13-Sep-19
Sounds like it was a pretty shady deal but a giant bear anyway

13-Sep-19
“Bear id even when dead is important. Grizz all the way into little belts now!

Every year for past several a greenhorn shoots one for a Black Bear.

KH~”

Maybe try the drug free hotline?

13-Sep-19
Giant!

13-Sep-19
"Bear id even when dead is important."

Why the heck would I need to id a bear if I'm already dead? ;)

13-Sep-19
I'd like to comment on the size of this bear but I normally don't make rash judgments like that until after I've checked the facebook page of the ex sister inlaw of the man who killed it.

13-Sep-19
What a tank !!!

13-Sep-19
Nice

13-Sep-19
Says the live weight was 840 over on the Wisconsin Bowsite. It’s a Minnesota bear. Unreal.

13-Sep-19
Boreal, Good rule of thumb. Fully understanding a guys police record, number of sexual partners, gun use behaviors, reproductive rate, and how he treats his mother-in-law are all integral factors in the size of the bear he shoots. It also could impact record book eligibility based on the P&Y or B&C morals clause.

13-Sep-19
Big bear for sure....BUT there is some serious underlying issues with the take.

Be careful before praising until the facts are bore out.

13-Sep-19
A swirling controversy over Brett Stimac’s potential record bear is brewing on social media.

It was first reported that the massive bruin was harvested in the Bemidji area according to multiple social media posts shared by Stimac. Later he stated it was near Erskine which is 60 miles away from Bemidji. In a podcast http://fullscaleoutdoorspodcast.libsyn.com/website/giant-black-bear-with-brett-stimac Stimac admits to baiting for several days without a bear license which is against the law. He claims to have bought an over the counter license to hunt in a “no quota” area. Where was this bear actually harvested? Did he really find this type of quality bear in a no quota area not known as “bear country”?

At first celebrated, there’s been a heavy backlash calling for an investigation of Stimac by the MN DNR. It appears that Stimac has “scrubbed” social media removing all comments he’s made mentioning the bear. He’s also hidden or deleted his Facebook account.

Stimac has a long history of fish and game violations including hunting without a license, fishing without a license, spearing without a license, hunting deer over bait, and illegally transporting big game. He’s also been cited for felon in possession of a firearm, assault, receiving stolen property, damage to property, and disorderly conduct and more.

13-Sep-19
IMHO, a guy with this history should not be able to own a firearm nor have a hunting license. Not good for any of us to have a guy like this representing.

13-Sep-19
Damn the guys consistent just another loser a field.

13-Sep-19
Minnesota Hunting Club 1 hr · Posted by Cuyuna Lakes Community Watch - wouldn't let me share it.

A swirling controversy over Brett Stimac’s potential record bear is brewing on social media.

It was first reported that the massive bruin was harvested in the Bemidji area according to multiple social media posts shared by Stimac. Later he stated it was near Erskine which is 60 miles away from Bemidji. In a podcast http://fullscaleoutdoorspodcast.libsyn.com/…/giant-black-be… Stimac admits to baiting for several days without a bear license which is against the law. He claims to have bought an over the counter license to hunt in a “no quota” area. Where was this bear actually harvested? Did he really find this type of quality bear in a no quota area not known as “bear country”?

At first celebrated, there’s been a heavy backlash calling for an investigation of Stimac by the MN DNR. It appears that Stimac has “scrubbed” social media removing all comments he’s made mentioning the bear. He’s also hidden or deleted his Facebook account.

Stimac has a long history of fish and game violations including hunting without a license, fishing without a license, spearing without a license, hunting deer over bait, and illegally transporting big game. He’s also been cited for felon in possession of a firearm, assault, receiving stolen property, damage to property, and disorderly conduct and more.

13-Sep-19
A beauty! Congrats!

13-Sep-19
Sounds like a great guy......sheesh!!!

13-Sep-19
I kinda wish more "greenhorns" would choot more long claws... We aren't ever going to be able to manage them legit.

13-Sep-19
All his past aside if I personally ever shot a huge animal of any species I’d probably tell people all kinds of stories about where I shot it none of them would be true but I’d tell lots of stories lol. Giant CO OTC bull yup Fred I shot it over in Oregon nope George it was way back in Montana lol

13-Sep-19
GREAT black bear!

PA biologists use field dressed weight + 18% for an estimated live weight. That would make this bear 847 lbs

13-Sep-19
Wow great bear. Who cares about his background ...we aren't inviting him to dinner.

13-Sep-19
Don't know the circumstances of taking the bear, but the fact is -that is one huge bear.

13-Sep-19
What Buffalo1 said. It’s a damn big bear even if he ran over it with his Subaru.

14-Sep-19
Some of you may not care about his past but this genius , aside from being a dirtbag, admitted on several media platforms to breaking many laws. The issue with the location is that the area he originally claimed to shoot the bear is a draw area, that he did not have a tag for, then he changed his story to it being in a no quota area with over the counter tags. This isn’t some witch hunt trying to belittle a real trophy, this is a true dirtbag being exposed for what he is.

14-Sep-19
Man alive, thats my dream besr right there

14-Sep-19
I’m in awe of that bear, but what a bummer that it fell to a poacher.

But hey - at least he was dumb enough to make it an easy case to prosecute.

14-Sep-19
What is the fat to meat ratio on these giant bodied bears? Eight hundred pounds is a huge, huge interior grizzly in BC!!

14-Sep-19
The amount of fat varies greatly , my sons bear this year dressed 225 and was rolling with fat. I took 26 pounds of its rump. Mine weighed 240 and I was hard pressed to get a gallon bag of fat off him. These were shot a few miles apart with the same food opportunities.

14-Sep-19
HH/KH, I don't know what you mean if we have a "kill site clause"? The main bear country in Minn. is divided into areas, each given a certain number of permits decided by applying for a lottery type pick. Rest of state around the quota areas are designated "no quota area" and any one can buy permit over the counter. You are supposed to hunt/kill your bear in the area you were drawn for.

14-Sep-19
Ill be honest and say i had no ide blackies even got that big. Biggest one i ever saw was just over 600#

15-Sep-19

Elite 1's embedded Photo
Elite 1's embedded Photo
Totally off-topic an oldie but a goodie. Hibernating in a cornfield hit by combine.

15-Sep-19
I'll bet enough donuts to fill a bait barrel that bear was not killed by the combine!

15-Sep-19
if it was a horse pulled combine it is a record for traditional combine kills I believe.

15-Sep-19
It was not killed with a combine. Hit with one after dead yes.

15-Sep-19
So.... Screwball...

You’re saying that bear was poached and they concocted the story about the combine as a cover??

15-Sep-19
I agree, I doubt that bear was hit by a combine...unless it was already dead.

15-Sep-19
It was hit by a combine. It was the county from me and it was a big news story when it was killed. Happens all the time here.

15-Sep-19
The suspected bear shooter, of West Fargo, N.D., has admitted to shooting the bear, after being interviewed by conservation wardens from North Dakota and Minnesota, according to state officials.

The Leader-Telegram reported in a Dec. 11 story that the bear had been killed by a combine the evening of Nov. 26 while it was hibernating in a field of standing corn, based on an interview with Phyllis Schlough, who owns the farm with her husband, Neil, who drove the combine.

A warden inspected the bear and, after some haggling, sold it to the Schloughs for $75. Phyllis Schlough said they intended to have it mounted.

The Schloughs are not expected to be charged with any wildlife violations, and the story they told the DNR and the media about hitting the hibernating bear with a combine may be essentially correct, said David Hausman, a warden supervisor with the DNR based in Baldwin. However, it is also clear that the bear had already been shot when Neil Schlough encountered it while harvesting corn, Hausman said.

“It was definitely dead when he hit it with the combine,” he said.

15-Sep-19
Sorry I went back in the archives and the whole story won't copy. But yes it was poached then died in the corn field where it was hit. The farmers did not shoot it.

16-Sep-19
As far as the bear in question, I have no idea if it was killed legally or illegally, but I think out of fairness in conversation, it should be mentioned that there is the possibility this story isn't "certain B.S."

While the immediate Bemidji area is part of quota units, you don't have to go far to get into the no-quota bear zone. If it was killed by Erskine, MN, that is about 50-60 miles from Bemidji, but the no-quota bear zone is much closer than that to Bemidji (20-25 miles) and this guy could be sandbagging his hunting location. I have personally run game cams on both sides of the quota/no-quota line for deer and have pics of some very large bears in the no-quota area. I've also seen harvested bears from the same general area of this "bear kill" that are very large. In my opinion, the no-quota areas have seemed to be a better bet for "big" bears than the quota units, you just have fewer bears to hunt.

16-Sep-19
That is one-big-bear for sure!

My question is....what is Phyllis doing to that bear? Checking evidence of sex, maybe??!

16-Sep-19
Lmao ...,.. gotta keep an eye on Phyllis

07-Dec-19

Grubby's Link

• Sitka Gear