Tilzbow 13-Sep-19
Tilzbow 13-Sep-19
Heat 13-Sep-19
svrelk 13-Sep-19
The Yode 13-Sep-19
Trial153 13-Sep-19
Ermine 14-Sep-19
13-Sep-19
Going to try more "spot and stalk" next year (CO and WY). Question - for those who use a tripod set up, do you prefer high power binocs or a spotting scope? I'm not sure I need all the power of a scope (not really worried about the biggest buck/bull, just want to get into animals) and using both eyes seems more relaxing for "glassing sessions" than one eye, but I've never done it and am just guessing... I want to get input from those here who use a tripod setup for glassing deer and/or elk. Thanks!

13-Sep-19
Binocs for finding, spotter for evaluating.

13-Sep-19
Love nockers on a tripod. Makes glassing so much more enjoyable. Throw on the spotter once you've located the animals.

13-Sep-19
I would assume no matter what you are going to be carrying bino's. Consider the weight of adding a spotter to your pack. If you are going to be covering a lot of miles and/or gain a lot of elevation a full size spotter adds a lot of weight that will be noticeable . I like to use trekking poles. One of them adjusted to the proper height makes a good monopod to rest your bino's on.

13-Sep-19
I use them all! As mentioned above, use binos mostly for spotting and spotter for judging and locating game I miss with binos. If you are interested in field judging game you won't be able to do this effectively at long range without a spotter (even with 15x binos). A spotting scope actually saves me miles of hiking...so no need to be spooked about the additional weight. With a spotter....I don't have to get super close like I do with binos to field judge. I can spot game (an ear, antler, rump, etc) at long range with a spotter that I would miss with binos. I use this same combo for antelope, deer, elk, bighorn, mtn goat, moose...etc!

13-Sep-19
15x56 Swarovski binoculars on a tripod are a game changer. I can take or leave my spotter but you can't have my 15's!!!!!

13-Sep-19
Agree that 15's are awesome. I love to have a set of 10x's around my neck for the final stalk, 15x's for finding animals and a spotter for evaluating. Put it all in pack with a tripod, add a bow and water and realistically this setup is limited to hunting within about a mile of the rig or base camp.

13-Sep-19
One more thing to add. If you get a really good tripod and a head with a dove tail quick release you can find animals with your tripod mounted 10x or 15x binos and switch to a spotter on the same tripod and there's a good chance the animal will still be in the spotter's field of view if you're able to switch optics without moving the tripod. It's pretty sweet with a high quality rig.

13-Sep-19
For locating, binos all day and twice on Sunday. Your assessment about being more relaxed during glassing is right on the money. If you are going to look through a spotter for long periods I recommend an eye patch so you are not squinting for long periods to close the other eye.

13-Sep-19
I won't glass without my tripod, with just 10x42 swaros you'd be amazed what you can see at incredible distances...

13-Sep-19
Thanks for all the info! Since I'm not worried about evaluating animals at this point, it sounds like a good pair of binocs and tripod will fit the bill. Of course, if I find that I'm missing stuff, there is always the year after that. Boys and their toys and all...

13-Sep-19
A tripod goes with me everywhere except tree stands......

14-Sep-19
12’s are even more of a game changer over 15’s. More field of view and better glass. I glass with binos and evaluate with scope

• Sitka Gear