MDW 17-Sep-19
TD 19-Sep-19
Nick Muche 19-Sep-19
t-roy 19-Sep-19
IdyllwildArcher 20-Sep-19
IdyllwildArcher 20-Sep-19
Nick Muche 20-Sep-19
13-Sep-19
We were discussing brown bear hunting at work today and the question came up regarding eating brown bear. Is the meat as good as black bear? I loved the meat from the black bear I killed. Wondered if brown bear was as good.

13-Sep-19
Very few eat brown bear.

13-Sep-19
They only taste good if they are young. Big trophy bears smell and taste horrible.

13-Sep-19
Parasites

13-Sep-19
I seen a recipe once upon a time for pulled pork made from brown bear neck roast

13-Sep-19
I killed a 9 footer a few years back in the Alaskan range. Aged at 16. There were no salmon that year, and they were eating berries. Kept the backstraps. Wife did Crock-Pot roasts. It was excellent! Wish I'D kept more.

14-Sep-19
I just got back from an unsuccessful BB hunt. A few weeks prior my guide had shot one. It was on berries and he said it was excellent eating.

14-Sep-19
Should be required! U shoot it u eat it!

Well maybe not! some stuff is nasty sometimes.

14-Sep-19
It will last you five years if you do get one to eat.

14-Sep-19
I agree with Steff, if a bear is eating fish, not worth eating. Just eat a can of cat food- same difference.

14-Sep-19
If I recall..... fish eating bears are the ONLY game in AK you are not required to recover every scrap of meat. Or any of the meat really. That should be a sign.....

14-Sep-19
Leave it in the brush. Same as all bear meat.

15-Sep-19
I had every intention of eating my brown bear. Luckily, after tagging him, we decided to autopsy him.....and as wildwilderness mentioned, he was full of parasites.

15-Sep-19
Nothing goes to waste in Mother Nature. Yes in AK you can leave the meat.

15-Sep-19
I arrowed one a year ago. The outfitter said, “don’t even think about eating it” I didn’t.

15-Sep-19

VK's embedded Photo
VK's embedded Photo
Shot this grizzly on Sept. 2 in interior Alaska, he was feasting on blueberries , far from any salmon streams. He was a young bear squaring a little under 7 feet, meat is excellent.

15-Sep-19
Beautiful bear and photo

15-Sep-19
For spring bear hunts I'd prefer all the meat be left in the bush in areas with moose, caribou or elk populations as diversionary feeding to save calves. In the fall coastal bears have likely been eating lots of fish, so not fit to eat anyway.

16-Sep-19
VK, That's some collar that bear is wearing !!

16-Sep-19
I've guided a few brown bear hunters over the years. Many clients asked me to cook up some brown bear meat for them.

No one ever asked me TWICE....!

There is a huge difference between the meat of a fat, fall, berry-fed grizzly and that of a brown bear.

Pete

16-Sep-19

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
We just ate a bunch of one (Grizzly). Loved it too, surprisingly.

17-Sep-19
Only had the oppertunity to try grizzley backstrape one time, it was great!

19-Sep-19
Nick, that looks like a recipe for carp I saw one time...... was that board tender enough?

=D

19-Sep-19
The meat from this bear was absolutely incredible, no lie. Smelled amazing, tasted amazing, tender and I was really wishing we had kept more. In fact, we went back to the carcass after trying some initially just to grab a bit more.

19-Sep-19
Why do you think that bear tasted so good, Nick? From what he had been eating? Age?

20-Sep-19
I've had both sorts.

The ones that are in the mountains eating berries are delicious.

The ones that were eating salmon... absolutely horrible. The only thing that's worse to eat is seal, which tastes like a bear that's been eating anchovies its entire life.

Surprisingly, polar bear is not bad and they eat seals. But they definitely need some BBQ sauce.

20-Sep-19

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo

20-Sep-19
Troy, it was a great berry year in the area we were and the bears were a long long ways from any access to fish, so I'd guess he was munching on blueberries for the past few months.

• Sitka Gear