buzz mc 16-Sep-19
Rock 21-Sep-19
elvspec 23-Sep-19
EMB 27-Sep-19
sasquatch 27-Sep-19
APauls 27-Sep-19
EMB 07-Oct-19
16-Sep-19
I have tried to refill my Thermacell fuel bottles but when I do I get a lot of leaking and spray out because the tip from the store bought butane can doesn't come with the right tip. Can you guys that have had success refilling fuel bottles please tell me the name brand and from what store you bought the butane from? I got a can from Menards and it is not the right one. Thanks

16-Sep-19
Consult you tube, plenty of how to'S.

16-Sep-19
Clipper brand is reported to fit. I think I saw those on Amazon. Or, you can do the following: 1. Pull out the brass valve with pliers; 2. Using a small drill bit that is a little smaller than the hole the valve came out of, drill it out. 3. Reinsert the valve. 4. You'll need to use a dremel to sand down the diameter of a butane refill bottle tip to fit the valve hole. There needs to be a slight angle on the tip. Insert and fill. You'll get 6-8 bottles out of one regular butane refill bottle.

16-Sep-19
Clipper is what I use, yes around 7 refills out of a bottle. I will intentionally only put a little in some bottles if I am going to be using it in the evening working in the yard. That way if I forget to turn it off its not burning all night wasting a pad. Forgetting seems to be much easier the older I get.

Oh yeah, clipper brand comes with a selection of plastic nozzles, one of them works great. Don't forget to remove the check valve in the empty cartridge prior to filling.

16-Sep-19
so much easier to just buy the thermacell replacement. Only a couple bucks more than what you are trying to do.

16-Sep-19
Wild, that would conflict with our basic thrifty, DIY, save the planet attitudes. We're thrifty because we're getting 6-7 refills for about $3. We're DIY-well that's obvious. And we're saving the planet. We're recycling all those little plastic bottles. That's way better than using paper straws or eating vegetables! Just doing my part brother.

16-Sep-19
Wild.... you are somewhat correct, but buying the refills require me to go to WalMart locally. THAT is part of the reason I will continue to refill my own and buy the pads online.

16-Sep-19
I’m with Wild on this. Just buy the small replacement bottles and be done with it. Not worth the hassle of what you go through

16-Sep-19
Why hasn`t someone come up with a way to regenerate the pad. You would think it`s just some form of Deet infused on the pad.

On another note.....has anyone ever played with putting deer scent on a old washed pad and see if it would heat up and disperse scent better....just spitballing.

16-Sep-19
The Thermacell is without a doubt THE greatest gizmo that's been invented since indoor plumbing. If it's not broke, why try and "fix" it???

I'm as tight as they come, but the money I spend on Thermacell stuff is MORE than worth it.

16-Sep-19
Woods Walker I couldn't agree with you more..shit I'd pay double if I had to.. especially with eee being found in my town. Not to mention I hunt the edge of a swamp and I'd get shredded without it.

16-Sep-19
Woods X 3

16-Sep-19
I'm with wildwilderness on this. Just buy the replacements. If you have extra pads, I always do, just order the Conair replacement butane canisters from Walgreens. They're only $5 for two with free delivery to the store.

21-Sep-19
Has anyone ever tried the battery operated Thermacell that they say you can take along when traveling on a plane?

23-Sep-19

elvspec's embedded Photo
elvspec's embedded Photo
I refill my fuel cells. Living in south Louisiana it gets expensive buying the thermacell fuel packs. Here's an image of a product that comes with the right filling tip. That same tip can be used with pretty much any butane refill canister.

27-Sep-19
I know I'm jumping this back to the top. Some of you lamented not being able to get just the pads. I did a little research and found that you can. The thermacell backpacker model uses the same pads. That model uses a separate propane bottle that does not come with the refill kit. So, you get just the pads in a refill kit. Those pads fit all thermacell products that use the pads. Amazon has them. The answered questions-including one answer directly from thermacell-state that they fit the portable units. I just ordered a package of pads to go with my bottle refills. Although I don't anticipate any issues, I'll let you all know how they work out-one way or the other.

27-Sep-19
Franklin, you can regenerate the pads by soaking them in permethrin. I don’t do it tho, it’s easier to buy the off-brand Chinese pads. They super cheap

27-Sep-19
Franklin, companies were doing that thing with deer scent on pads like 8-10 years ago. Not sure if they still are.

07-Oct-19
The backpacker refills work just fine. $17 for 48 hours worth of pads on Amazon.

• Sitka Gear