dallsheepstkr 16-Sep-19
Wayniac 16-Sep-19
Ambush 16-Sep-19
mountainman 16-Sep-19
carcus 17-Sep-19
Trial153 17-Sep-19
16-Sep-19
Hi all -

I was lucky enough to draw a Maine cow tag for late Oct season.

I'll be shooting my back-up bow (2013 elite Hunter) so I'm not messing with my whitetail setup.

My draw is 27.5", and my bow is at 72 lbs draw weight, shooting around 267 fps.

I've settled on Carbon Express Piledriver DS. With a 100 grain broadhead, my finished arrow are in the neighborhood of 452 grains. I feel this is a good weight, but for those of you with experience - is this a heavy enough arrow?

Thanks

16-Sep-19
I’ll save a bunch of folks some typing time here:

“I’ve never shoot anything bigger than a whitetail, but I can tell you with certainty that your set up is fine AS LONG AS YOU USE A TWO BLADE, SINGLE BEVEL, COC HEAD.”

16-Sep-19
I just shot a moose. 27” draw 70 lb bow. 460 grain arrow. Got a pass thru

16-Sep-19
Ambush, your response is incomplete without mentioning the requisite FOC % threshold, above which success is guaranteed and below which is adjectly irresponsible. Is 11.237%, or am I mis-rounding?

I killed my last moose with a 445 gr. arrow out of a 60# bow, same DL as the OP. But I did use a choppy angled 3 blade Trocar and it seemed to work.

16-Sep-19
A lot of guys have killed Moose with the same weight arrow out of a 45 pound recurve… I might go a little bit heavier, personally, but if that arrow will kill a moose at 165 ft./s, it will probably do the job at whatever you’re getting out of your set up.

More imporant (JMO) is what’s up front and how well your arrow is flying. That rig of yours will seriously punish whatever head you have up there, so I’d be inclined to stick with a sturdily built 2-3 blade with a fairly long taper to it.

I’m working up next year’s Elk Load for a low #60s R/D longbow... planning to finish around 540 gr with probably an Ace Standard up front.

16-Sep-19
Shot an A/Y moose last year, 72pounds, 28", 465 grain, new fangled steep angle 3 blade broadhead....the moose felt that it was plenty adequate.

16-Sep-19
I like 600 grains, sometimes bones get in the way. I also shoot an #80 PSE Omen Max Pro. But I'm sure you'll be okay.

16-Sep-19
Thanks all.

16-Sep-19
Your set up is entirely adequate. If your buying different broadheads and setting this bow up for the moose hunt, you may want to consider bumping up to 125’s. If you haven’t picked a broadhead yet, I’d suggest a Slick Trick with a medium cutting diameter. Or another head with the Trocar type tip. I’m not a fan of cut-to-tip heads, especially on heavy boned animals.

Good luck and wring everything you can out the tag!!

16-Sep-19
I shot my moose with 475 gr(total) arrow. 150 grn, 3 blade VPA up front. 70 lbs @ 28in.

Zipped right through him at 32 yards. No heavy bone was encountered.

17-Sep-19
Your good, I've killed 5 with a 475-485 gr fmj, the first one was with a 60 pound bow, 28" arrow, frontal shot, I hit a bit to the left and took out the huge leg bone, the exodus BH shattered the bone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnXXxQfdTxo&t=2s

17-Sep-19
Last moose I killed with a 500 grain finished weight arrow with 100 grain solid. I also killed one with vipertricks and ACCs although I dont recall the weight from years back. This year I was all set in a couple weeks to use finshed weight arrow of 525. However I decided to take my other bow set up as I am shooting it way better. It will be a finshed ACC at 450 grains using Ironwills

• Sitka Gear