Cheetah8799 19-Sep-19
Missouribreaks 19-Sep-19
Brotsky 19-Sep-19
18-Sep-19
Anybody care to relate there breaks hunt experience

18-Sep-19
Headed there Friday

18-Sep-19
I went there once, first week of Nov. Saw bunches of deer and 5-6 bull elk. No cows. Coyotes seemed omnipresent and saw lots of turkey as well which surprised me but maybe they are common . I saw several deer in the 120” range , one maybe 150”. He’s the only one I put the moves on but no luck. Terrain was easy when dry, God awful when wet. Unbelievably sticky and just clumped up terrible on your boots. I’d like to go back one day .

18-Sep-19
+1 on the ground conditions. Nowhere is as miserable when it rains. I used to hunt the CMR and it was a great hunt. Lots of elk and great bulls. The deer hunting fluctuated but I saw some beautiful whitetail and muley bucks. The sharptails offered some fun breaks.

18-Sep-19
Does anyone know what it is about that mud that makes it so wicked? Is it clay content maybe?

18-Sep-19
If I was lucky enough to draw a tag I was thinking of going down the river by canoe.

18-Sep-19
I will be heading over there on Saturday. Would go sooner but waiting for my hunting partner that has to work for a living.

18-Sep-19
Buddy of mine there now.. just talked on phone over lunch.. his first time there in 410.. seeing elk everyday just started to hear bugles last night.. 4 days in. Has given chase on a bull every time been out. Says having great time... good luck!

18-Sep-19
Who doesn’t read this thread and miss BigDan?

18-Sep-19
Well maybe get to run into another bowsiter out there and put a face to some of the handles on here

18-Sep-19
Not me still hurting Lewis

18-Sep-19
You lucky people heading out keep us posted

18-Sep-19
Yeah just got back from one of Dan's old stomping grounds in SW Montana. Still hurting as well.

The breaks can be great or you can get a couple of days to hunt in a 2 week window if it rains. It is a spot that being close and flexible or having a lot of time to wait out the weather can make a huge difference. I have neither at this stage.

That said we lost 2/3 of our hunt to truck problems this year anyway.

Is what it is.

18-Sep-19
Gumbo Mud Explanation:

Per an earlier question about the composition of the mud that makes it so difficult to deal with. The soil contains high amounts of Bentonite which used to line ponds and waterproof them. There used to be an actual bentonite mine in south Valley county. The rain and moisture will not soak into the soil compared to other areas and creates a greasy texture when driven on.

19-Sep-19
Thanks for that explanation!!!!

19-Sep-19
Mule power- was thinking the exact same thing. Applied a couple times there so I could hunt with Dan and it never happened. Really miss him.

19-Sep-19
I have a question for those who spend a lot of time in the Breaks. When the roads get bad are you still able to get around using a side by side? We have access to a Kubota 4X4 and are hoping to be able to move around better than a pickup if it get’s greasy. JD

19-Sep-19
They will get stuck/tear the roads up just as much as a pickup. In my opinion using arc/side by sides tear the roads up and then make them worse for others trying to use the roads.

19-Sep-19
Missouri Breaks and Big Dan were synonymous on this site!

19-Sep-19
When it's wet, nothing with wheels can go anywhere.

19-Sep-19
What about a boat? If I had my boat could I get into bulls consistently from the river?

19-Sep-19
Brotsky, you can barely walk when the ground is wet out there. Every step adds more mud caked on to your boots, every 10 steps you kick off pounds of mud and repeat. Also launching a boat is a challenge, first you have to get to the boat launch via the roads you can't drive. Second the launch itself might be impossible to back a boat down, or get back up if wet/slick.

I've had a couple trips to the breaks ruined by weather in past years. Very disappointing when you only have a week to commit.

19-Sep-19
Rain in forecast for this weekend!

19-Sep-19
Thanks Josh, I wasn't sure how bad/good the roads were to the launches. I grew up on the Missouri River, so I know the gumbo well!

• Sitka Gear