Timbrhuntr 27-Sep-19
Paul@thefort 27-Sep-19
ahunter76 30-Sep-19
ahunter76 30-Sep-19
ahunter76 14-Oct-19
20-Sep-19

ahunter76's embedded Photo
Antelope is history. It WAS VERY WET so my waterhole hunt was a bust from the very start. Not a problem though as my son & another friend (both 1st time Antelope hunt) are fit enough for the rigors of spot & stalk. My other long time buddy is also fit for spot & stalk. So, I knew from the git, go I was not to be doing much (my knees are shot). No problem for me as the only reason I was there was because my son wanted to go after my buddy had contacted me. I had said I was done in 2017 on my 4th & last Goat trip-wrong-this IS the last). Anyway, we had a set back in N.W. Iowa as interstate 90 was shut down due to flooding & so was a ton of other highways. We finally made a hug circle North & 4 hours later got back on 90 & "maybe" a 10 mile gain. So, we ended crashing a few hours in a rest area & lost a half day hunting. I had been in this unit 9 years ago but with all the water there was ZERO by any holes that had produced good results back then. Our 2 buddies showed up a day later & one was a 1st time Goat hunter like my son. Well, they both got broke in on spot & stalk real good & we all knew, this would be the only way to tag one of these speedsters. I have no idea how many stalks my son had made b/4 one materialized after an hour of sneaking & crawling to where he could peek over the edge where 4 Does & single buck stood. They had been out of sight from him & had moved a few yards farther. Anyway, he made the shot undetected only to see it fall short by a few inches. LATE morning of our THIRD day we spot a Buck with 8-10 Does & another Buck coming down a ridge toward them. Roughly 300 yards. My son takes off on the down side of a hill & out of sight. He managed to close that gap to about 100 yds when I see the two bucks running around & the one chasing the intruder TOWARD my son. This is over 100 yds from me but I have my binocs AND big lens camera. I find out later he's ranging 80 yds, 64 yards, 50 yards & at 39 yards his arrow passes thru the intruder Buck. They had came right to him. He bolted & disappears over a small rise. After a short wait my son returns to me & says he went down then got up, went a few yards & went down again. He says his shot was good & was going to take the hauler & go get him. It was to far for me & my knees. So, I wait & about an hour & a half later I see him top the rise with his Goat on the cart. I am positive, if at all possible, I was happier than he was & he was shaking from the excitement & rush. Our trip was awesome & my goal was for him to have a great 1st Antelope hunt & in my mind, I said, if he gets a shot, it would be more than successful trip (I say when you get a shot, you have had the thrill, without the kill).. It IS my last Goat trip & with my son & 2 great hunting friends there, it's one of the BEST. I'll recap on my 2 buddies soon.

20-Sep-19

Timberhunter said in 5 years he never saw a snake. Well, my sons FIRST Goat hunt was different. 10 buttons too. We let him go on his way after several photos & him getting Pi--ed.

20-Sep-19
Congrats on a successful trip, on several fronts!

20-Sep-19
Sounds like a successful, memorable family adventure. Congrats.

21-Sep-19

A short (maybe) recap. As I said, my hunt was a bust due to so much water. My son (1st time Goat hunt) & 2 friends (one 1st timer & 1 veteran Goat hunter) took their Goats all by spot & stalk. We all know this can & is darn tough. On our 2nd day there we started to see a little Doe chasing (very little but some). On the 3rd day we saw a couple Bucks chasing Bucks as some were starting to gather their harems. On the 3rd day we saw this going on & in a spot where the terrain was almost perfect for a stalk. My son did just that & by PURE LUCK one Buck chased another right to him after my son had closed the gap of 300 yds to 100. 39 yd. shot did the trick. Next was my veteran goat hunting buddy (he has several). It was the 4th day & he decide to try the shoot thru decoy that fastens on your bow He made a good stalk but was still 110 yds out & decided to raise the decoy up. BOOM, got that Bucks attention right now & he slowly started toward him. He stopped at 80. With nothing to loose, he started slowly moving toward the Buck & closed in another15 yds. He took the shot & made a fatal shot. 2 down. Next & 5th day it was the other friend & 1st time Goat hunter. His 1st stalk was in a pretty decent place terrain wise but was a long stalk. He ended up right at 100 yds when he ran out of cover. He had a fold up full size decoy & decide to pop it up. First time to try this decoy. He raised it up very slow & got ready behind it. The Buck instantly started walking toward him & stopped at 60 yds. Mistake. Great shot & down he went. THREE spot & Stalk Bucks & all a little different.. Mind you, I have no idea how many stalks were made but I tried to keep track. 1 shot in 7 is pretty close, maybe 8. I know between the 3 there was 8 misses = 50+ stalks. Some were "real" long to. This was an awesome trip in SO MANY ways. I am truly blessed & so thankful for a long, successful Bowhunting Journey. Good luck to you all, it's WHITETAIL time in TEN days This is the other 1st time Antelope hunter. The rookies did good.

Always Thankful Darton Ex Vegas 60#s hunter Darton Maverick 45#s Targets, Cyclone 3-D 50#s indoors Ozark Mountain 50# 68" Longbow (both) with woodies Aluminum Platinum Plus target, XX75s hunting, 2712s indoors

. . .

21-Sep-19
Well done

21-Sep-19
Good job ! Nothing like a hunt with your kids. BTW, and I’ll bet you’ve never heard this :-) , but that young man looks a lot like his father. Y’all had a good hunt !

21-Sep-19
Sweet! We’re you near me??

21-Sep-19

Yes & I see you arrowed an Elk during our time out there. I did get a pic of these 3 critters. None to shabby.

21-Sep-19
Sweet! We’re you near me??

21-Sep-19
I saw a herd of 9 spike bulls antelope hunting September first. Never seen a herd of spikes before. Getting to be elk everywhere.

22-Sep-19
Congrats to all on the successful trip John.

22-Sep-19
huntnmuleys-thats just better for you on the Elk. We ate at the pizza place in one night after hunting. We were just a few miles away & Mike remembered you showing us it like 10 years ago.

26-Sep-19

As the sun sets with this Pronghorn (Antelope) looking down at us another chapter in my life closes. It was was my 5th & last trip bowhunting these speedy prairie Goats. I never drew my bow on this trip but it was one of my most enjoyable. Why? Because I shared camp with my son on his first Antelpe bowhunt & two good friends from out East. They "were" successful but that is not always the high point of a hunt. I am truly blessed.

26-Sep-19
congratulations on a great hunt with your son and friends. Forrest

27-Sep-19
Congrats on your sons goat.

On the snakes 6th year and still haven't seen one but I did see a nice buck antelope at a water hole broadside at 20 yards lol

27-Sep-19
Blessed for sure. Nicely done all around. my best, Paul

30-Sep-19

My good friend that introduced me to Antelope hunting 10 years ago. He's from out east & he invited me to hunt with him via the internet. I took my 1st on that hunt & we have been friends since. We've shared 5 goat hunts & a few spring Turkey hunts too. I have no idea how many he's arrowed (Antelope) but it's been many. He hand a hand in helping my son on his 1st also. Thank you Mike.

30-Sep-19

He is a spot & stalk wizard. He loves it & a mile is nothing for him. It's something he is "very good at". This is the Buck he took on this trip & he had a Doe tag he filled too. All spot & stalk.

14-Oct-19

A little sugar for you Mule Deer hunters. We saw some good ones & lots of Does.

• Sitka Gear