Brotsky 23-Sep-19
NoWiser 23-Sep-19
wytex 23-Sep-19
Mule Power 23-Sep-19
wilbur 23-Sep-19
fastflight 23-Sep-19
Mule Power 24-Sep-19
22-Sep-19
I cant believe I cant find the answer to this question but I am sure the bowsite guys can help. I got a general elk tag this year and went a few weeks ago. I had so much fun but no elk were taken on our trip. Trying to figure out the quickest way to get back out there but preference points are the key and mine are gone. The thing I have going for me is that my brother has been getting points with me the last few years but couldn't hunt this year so he has four after buying one a week ago. So, first question is can I buy one yet this fall after getting a tag already this year? I feel like the answer is no but I cant confirm that on their website. So, my brother has 4 points and I have zero which averages 2. This wasn't enough for general elk in 2019. If I cant buy one this fall would we go into next year with 4 or do each of us go up 1 point when we apply in 2020 for a total of 6. Just trying to figure out anyway to go next year without doing the higher dollar special method. Thank you

22-Sep-19
First, no you can’t buy a point after drawing tag this year.

Next yes you both can apply with your bothers four points for a two point average. If you can draw a general tag with in the regular draw remains to be seen. The special draw will be pretty much a lock with those points. Go hunt while you can....

22-Sep-19
You can’t get one this year. Next year y’all will have 4 combined

22-Sep-19
Like stated you can't buy a preference point because you drew. You can buy one next year. With your brother having 4 points you'll both stand a good chance of drawing a general.

22-Sep-19
Trial pretty much covered it.

4 points next year will work in the special draw. No guarantees in the regular. If you want to hunt pay the piper.

22-Sep-19
Always a chance can pull a tag in the Random phase of the tag draw whether apply in 2020 with 0 points solo or 2 points joint with the 4-point brother. I would not book the motel yet, though. Economy is retrenching so by 2021 should see some of the exuberance ebb by non-residents chasing $1000 elk tags around the West. I suppose Residents will step up and take on a 100% or 200% increase in what they shell out for an elk tag. That is some funny stuff right there.

22-Sep-19
All great advice and you have a decent chance with 2 points. (4/2 = 2) which is where you will be. Only God knows what it will take to draw next year and He probably is just guessing.

Me, 4 Son 6, and brother and niece with 0 got the General this year. I shot a small 5 and that was it but son will come down from AK and rifle hunt in Oct.

Next year my granddaughter with 6 will hopefully drag her dad and I along for elk again.

23-Sep-19
In the preference point draw 2 points won't draw a regular tag next year and 3 may not the following year. If you don't want to pony up for the special license you'll have to hope to get lucky and draw a random tag.

23-Sep-19
In 2018 only 56% of applications drew a general tag in the regular draw with two points. Random draw was 14%.

In the special draw 97% drew a general tag with one point, and 62% drew In the random draw.

I expect it to be close for 2019, I still think some people will draw a general tag with 2 points.

23-Sep-19
Thanks guys.....I was really hoping I could buy a point this fall or that we went up in points with our application next year but that isn't the case. I think our best option is to each get a point in 2020. He will then have 5 and I will have 1 for a 3 point average in 2021. Hope that's enough but we will see what 2020 takes and maybe have to go special draw in 2021. Or I just bite the bullet and go special in 2020 to start the point process over again. Wish I hadn't waited til 47 to get into elk hunting. So addicting.

23-Sep-19
If you want to hunt don’t just give up and buy a point. Apply! If you pay for the special you’ll draw. In the regular you have a chance to draw with 2 and there’s always the random. If you don’t draw then buy the point.

23-Sep-19
Very true MulePower. Brother has a job that requires vacation for year to be scheduled in January for the most part. We pretty much need to plan our trips for years when it's a sure thing. Once his points are used up I am definitely going to start applying every year and hope to hit a random draw earlier than I will have the points to draw again.

23-Sep-19
Then apply in the special next year and tell him to schedule it.

23-Sep-19
If the special is too expensive then Just have your brother draw the tag in the regular draw and go call/pack meat for him. You guys will have a blast hunting together and can split the meat if he kills. I guarantee you will make just as many memories and have just as much fun without a tag in both pockets.

23-Sep-19
+1 to Brotsky's idea.

23-Sep-19
Put in for a cow tag in a general area and hunt with him if you draw, they are random draw tags. I talked with 5 guys who drew special general tags with 0 PP this fall.

23-Sep-19
Wytex has a great udea. I can point you toward some units with the best chance for a cow tag if you’re interested where he’d do well too.

23-Sep-19
Hell just apply in the special draw another $400.00 is nothing compared to all the money you've already spent to go elk hunting.

Life is short go hunt spend the money and don't look back.

23-Sep-19
Lots of great advice here and none of the options mentioned are out of the question. I need to spend more time looking into the cow tag option that Wytex and Mule Power mentioned as that is intriguing. Brotsky, my brother went with me a few weeks ago and was our full time caller and he had a blast. I would 100 percent do that for him also but with the points he has I think I will look at options for both of us to hunt. Hoping to write about my hunt sometime this fall but since I only had close calls with the bow I am hoping to be able to go back with the rifle at end of October.really wanted to get it done with the bow but wyoming elk tags are so hard to get I need to go with whatever weapon is allowed. Thanks for all the responses. Ken

24-Sep-19
I liked Wytex’s idea but I think Wilbur actually has the best plan of all. Pony up.... have fun, and learn your area. The hunt will be worth it but I have to say spending time in your hunting spot is a priceless investment in future hunts.

Is it just me or do others feel way more comfortable in their area after every season? By the time my two weeks is over my plan for the next year is always twice as deadly as the one I had when I showed up.

There’s a value in that.

• Sitka Gear