fastflight 23-Sep-19
nmwapiti 23-Sep-19
DonVathome 25-Sep-19
Cowdoc 25-Sep-19
PistolPete 27-Sep-19
Kodiak 27-Sep-19
Kodiak 27-Sep-19
23-Sep-19
I had a cheap wire saw I tried out cutting of an antler recently. It froze up (not sure why) and broke ( it was cheap) but before that it was smoking through bone. I am seriously considering getting a new, better one for light weight backpacking. What are your thoughts?

23-Sep-19
My wire saws have always been cheap ones also but my experience is the same as yours......works great at first and seems like a great tool and then breaks leaving it worthless if they make one that lasts it would be a great tool. Might not be such a thing though.

23-Sep-19
I have thought about how easy it would be to improvise a bone saw with a cutting wire. Just concerned about cutting a zig zag path through the skull cap. Sounds like I should make sure they are durable enough too.

25-Sep-19
I am trying this meant for livestock horn trimming. I think it is going to work great and be lightweight.

OB/ Dehorning Saw Handles and Wire 40 Feet

25-Sep-19
The OB handles with spools of gigli wire are the way to go. I could usually make it through 4 adult, solid bone, cow horns before having to replace the wire. It's not great through skin, better if you can get it directly on bone. Circle the skull with the wire, crossing the wire in front of you so that the handle coming from the left side you pull with you right hand and vice versa. Still, even new wire feels like work. Sawsalls are easier at home. Also, the handles are heavier than you think.

27-Sep-19
I’ve strung the wire saw tightly between to trees, cut the elks head off, skin out around the bone you want to cut, and go to town holding the head and moving it back and forth on the saw. Works great as long as the saw doesn’t break.

27-Sep-19
I use a zip saw on the pelvis of deer. Works like a champ. Highly recommended.

27-Sep-19

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear