Mule Power 24-Sep-19
Mule Power 24-Sep-19
Snuffer 24-Sep-19
x-man 24-Sep-19
808bowhunter 24-Sep-19
txnewsteps 12-Oct-19
Mule Power 12-Oct-19
23-Sep-19
Found a decent area this year but was a bit tough to get into. After 4 days of hunting, we relocated to an area that would be easier to pull a bull out. Talked to an outfitter in the area and told me $750 for a meat pack. Not sure if he thought I was desperate or just didn’t like us packing into the area on foot. I did find Wyoming horses but they are a bit far. Wondering if anything closer. I got 2 horses and a mule back home in Hawaii so very used to them. Would be looking to rent as pack animals not riding

24-Sep-19
Rent Llamas

24-Sep-19
I know a packer but he only packs bulls out of certain holes. What coordinates do you think you’ll need the bull packed out of? ;-)

24-Sep-19
That seems a little high to me. I would see who the outfitter in the area was and approach them about a pack out if you are successful.

24-Sep-19
LOL Mule! : )

24-Sep-19
Why do guys think a pack out in rough country should only cost a few bucks ? Most elk don’t die on the trail. I’ve packed out plenty of elk with my horses over the years and sometimes it’s a day and a half job and dangerous as hell on the horses going up steep canyons, across deep drainages and maneuvering around and through deadfall and thick oak brush. I take a minimum of 4 good quarter horses on a pack out plus a helper who needs to be paid because most hunters can’t even lead a horse let alone really ride one and pony the other one that’s loaded down with meat and antlers and most of the time backpacks guys don’t want to carry back up to camp or their truck, plus keeping the antlers in one piece.

Now days you can’t take a horse to the vet for minor injuries without spending $500. People spend $500 on a pair of boots but cry about getting their prized bull elk packed out, that is the reason you spend all the money on gear, license, tag, transportation , etc, etc in the first place, to kill a bull and get the meat, cape and antlers home all in good condition.

24-Sep-19
Jdee, you make a good point. It depends on where the elk is killed. If it’s 5 miles back on a forest service trail, that’s a lot of money, but if it’s coming out of some hole, cross country then it’s more reasonable. You lost me at 4 horses. That’s 40-50 pounds of meat per horse. Are you talking quarter horses or Shetland ponies? ;)

24-Sep-19
I’m thinking 4 horses means two saddle horses for him and a helper and two pack animals. I could skip the helper but it still takes three. Three to catch, brush, water, grain, saddle, load, trailer and ride both ways in addition ti the field work. It’s a full day’s work with an early start and a stop at the gas station. And the hazards to the horses are real. $500 for a bull sitting on a pack trail is fair. $750 is how a packer hopes for the best but is smart enough to plan for the worst. A packer who is darn busy at that time of year.

24-Sep-19
I know a guy who leases and will deliver to the Pinedale area. But it’s $350 per horse us mileage both ways so more than $750 to do it yourself.

24-Sep-19
Most packers charge $1000 in oregon.

24-Sep-19
Go to the museum there. The guy who shot that Mountain Lion in self defense (nice display). His daughter works for an outfitter that packs. Or at least she did last time I was there (can't remember her name)

Most of the good spots there require an outfitter anyway. Wilderness area.

24-Sep-19
For a meat pack, I have always understood that I would hang meat at nearest pack trail and text packer coordinates. Never been quoted over 500. Don’t need myself packed out, just the meat. And I don’t buy 500$ boots! I know a horse rental would be more expensive than a meat haul for 1 elk but if you get 2 or 3 it’s getting to be a good deal. Packed out my bull and brothers bull this season and it gave me some long days to think about animals helping. Have given llamas a thought and like the idea just curious if there is something around Pinedale.

12-Oct-19
I think that's a fair price. My husband and I were there during archery with an outfitter. We paid good money to hunt with them, but didn't fill tags. Going back for rifle as DIY..hunting 94, 92, 90, 89...Who did I contact for pack out?

12-Oct-19
PM sent

• Sitka Gear