KHNC's embedded Photo
Shining down from above!
KHNC's embedded Photo
KHNC's embedded Photo
KHNC's embedded Photo
camp
KHNC's embedded Photo
camp
Me and Elk Mtn Gear got together again for another New Mexico elk trip last week. Turned out to be a dang good one! We met up the day before season and camped exactly where we did in 2016. We made a sign to reserve our spot when we left 3 years ago. Fortunately, everyone complied and we had our spot. We split up to hike up the mountain to listen for bugles. I heard several just before dark and we were into bulls right from the get go opening morning. Day 4 rolled around with many encounters behind us, but no dead elk yet. It was shaping up to be just as awesome as our original trip. We were on the mountain top just prior to first light, waiting for a bull to sound off. Shortly after, we got our wish and marched off in that direction. Once we got as close as we dared, we setup to call. Before our bruiser bull could come in, a 3x3 came sneaking in to check us out. I stuck him at 28 yards and the race was on! He took off running back the way he came. After giving him a little while, we exchanged high fives and started on the trail. It took a little longer than we expected, but we found him. A six mile pack out later, he was in the truck and we were headed to camp! With still plenty of time left, Jeff could possibly get a bull in the same day. As luck would have it, thats EXACTLY what happened. Jeff put up a tree stand overwatching a big tank. An hour before dark, he arrowed a beautiful 6x6! The packout wasnt long on his, but still took us til midnight to finish up and get back to camp. What a trip! We hit the road the next afternoon for the two day drive home to separate ends of the country. I am in NC and he is in CA. Here's to drawing NM elk in the future!! Cheers!! I will let Jeff post his pics if he chooses. Dont want to steal his glory. :)

24-Sep-19
Great hunt guys! Sure wish I could draw a NM tag. Glad you guys made it home safe!

24-Sep-19
Nice young tender elk congrats!

24-Sep-19
Saw the post on FB. Way to go guys!

24-Sep-19

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
KHNC is the consummate elk hunting partner, we have shared a lot of ups and downs over recent years, but he works just as hard (or harder) than I do when it comes to chasing bulls.

We both have our strengths, and they seem to perfectly compliment eachother. We're getting to the point where we don't have to think when an encounter happens, we just "react". As Kenny said...New Mexico did not disappoint this Year. Perhaps I'll do a more detailed write up in the "off Season", but here's a couple shots of my bull.

25-Sep-19
Congrats guys!

25-Sep-19
Thanks for the kind words Jeff! I enjoy hunting with you as well. Seems like when we get close to some bulls, they are in deep chit!!! haha!!

25-Sep-19
Nice job guys!

25-Sep-19
Excellent

25-Sep-19
Awesome stuff

25-Sep-19
Good job guys !

26-Sep-19
That’s a pretty good day!!!

• Sitka Gear