GF 25-Sep-19
fran 25-Sep-19
smarba 25-Sep-19
BOWNBIRDHNTR 25-Sep-19
Mt. man 25-Sep-19
drycreek 25-Sep-19
HH 25-Sep-19
24-Sep-19
The supper heavy wet show had just ended for the minute anyway. I get a bull to turn loose of a weak bugle in the middle of the day, game on right. So here I go, I had moved maybe 100 yards trying to get in closer when I look over to my left. Wow there's a bull standing broadside feeding. No clue I'm there. My first impression was he was at 30. By the time I've got an arrow knocked I decided I had all the time in the world so I decided to range him. Perfect 32 yards broadside, at this point my internal alarm was just starting to go off. We all know you can only stand beside an elk we want to kill for so long before things go wrong. As well as we all know an elk we don't want to kill will walk right up to you.

Now picture this, the bull is broadside at 32 yards with no clue I'm there, and I'm at full draw. You would never guess in a million years what happened next. GRAVITY, yup good old gravity. At the very second I was about to release the arrow I start sliding down the mountain in that brand new heavy wet snow. Trying to control a bow at full draw and control my descent was quite the chore. At this point everything is moving in slow motion cause I have a vivid picture of the bull watching me and as he starts to run he almost trips cause he was laughing at so hard. All the ways things can and do wrong that keep us from filling our tags gravity was never one of them until now.

24-Sep-19
I guess that's why they say slip slide and away! :)

24-Sep-19
Think there was a nice song about slip sliding away :0 :)

24-Sep-19
The gravity of your situation is not something that should be taken lightly!

24-Sep-19
I've watched many bulls "slip away" over the years...

24-Sep-19
Dad gum gravity will get you down every time!

24-Sep-19
I was sitting in the timber just 50 yards below a sharp ridge top. I was watching some cows feed right to left below me at about 100 yards wondering if there would be a bull in the back. The ground was frozen and there was just about an inch of snow on it. The hill was steep and rocky and I had dug my heels in to stay put. A small 4 point bull steps out and I have my binos on him and behind him looking for a better bull. The next thing I knew I was rocketing downhill straight at them holding my bow up with the other hand on the ground. That’s not the first time something like that has happened (but not with elk in my path!) so I naturally look ahead to anticipate where I might slide into something to come to a stop. At this point I’m definitely not looking for elk! Lol

I went from 100 yards to about 40 in like 3 seconds and managed to dig my boots into a little depression and stopped. I looked down and the cows had never even looked up. What! The bull looked up but only for a few seconds and went back to feeding and walked away.

I thought I know elk make noise but I can’t believe I just got away with that. Then I thought hmm... maybe I just discovered an easy way to close the distance on a herd of elk real fast. But probably not right!

24-Sep-19
Fat guys slide, skinny ones don't. :)

24-Sep-19
^^^ Lol

24-Sep-19
Muphys Law meets Newtons.

K

24-Sep-19
That's called ,"reverse stealth mode" mule power...sounds effective......haaaa

25-Sep-19
When you said "gravity took over" I thought you might of done something in your drawers. I spent the first 2 days of elk camp with the squirts....I was hoping I wasn`t the only one...lol

25-Sep-19
I hate it When the old Snow-gravity-slide variables kick in.

25-Sep-19
I guess it’d be too self-congratulatory to point out that I could’ve killed that Elk while you were still looking for your rangefinder.....

LMAO

Glad you didn’t get hurt. Sliding down a hill with a Broadhead waving around sounds like a good way to not make it out under your own power.

25-Sep-19
GF is there ever a thread where you are able to contribute anything other than your greatness over everyone else?

25-Sep-19
Nothing to do with me.

If your shooting style leaves you entirely comfortable just taking the shot, rather than screwing around with a rangefinder, then you’re DONE.

At something close to 30 yards, I am SCREWED if I have to choose a sight pin, but pretty much good to go if shooting barebow...

But hey - I put my name at the top of every post, just like everybody else. If you don’t want to read what I’ve posted....

Don’t.

25-Sep-19
"I guess it’d be too self-congratulatory to point out that I could’ve killed that Elk while you were still looking for your rangefinder..... LMAO"...."Nothing to do with me."

Sure looks like you were referring to yourself to me but thanks for setting me straight.

25-Sep-19
You people need to work on your sense of humor.

25-Sep-19
It's amazing the things that can happen in the moment! I feel your loss.

25-Sep-19
Or you on your delivery...

Somehow we got sidetracked from slipping in the snow. Talk about BAD TIMING Scrappy! Reading the thread title and guessing I was nowhere close to identifying the reason for "the one that got away".

Better luck next time and thanks for sharing.

25-Sep-19
I apologize for the sidetrack....had a weak moment.

Hope you get another opportunity Scrappy!

25-Sep-19
Be glad you are still chasing. I did almost the same as you 2 years ago. Only I landed on my right shoulder and separated my shoulder. Season was over as they were starting to fire up good.

25-Sep-19
I would have been ready ! Gravity has been working against my fat ass for years........ :-)

25-Sep-19
Yep Bownbirdhntr, x1

K~

• Sitka Gear