Elk
Contributors to this thread:
LuckyLeo 25-Sep-19
Trial153 25-Sep-19
LuckyLeo 25-Sep-19
Trial153 26-Sep-19
JL 26-Sep-19
25-Sep-19
Can someone tell me the difference between a preference point and elk bonus point for a non resident. I would like to hunt there next year or the following year! Which one do I need to purchase now ?? Thanks Leo

25-Sep-19
Preference points are used for the general elk or general elk and deer licenses. Bonus points are use for permit units after you draw your general license..

25-Sep-19
So if I’m looking for a general tag I need to purchase a preference point?? Correct

26-Sep-19
Yes, correct

26-Sep-19
It's confusing. The NR Big Game Combo is a preference point. The elk tag is a bonus point. As I understand it, the bonus points are for controlled/limited entry hunts whereas the preference point is for the big game combo general hunt.

Montana Bonus Points System

FWP uses a unique approach to provide all applicants at least one opportunity at drawing a license/permit, while still giving those individuals who have been unsuccessful in the past a chance to increase their odds of drawing a license/permit in the future.

Hunters may only earn 1 bonus point per license year for a species special permit or license. The options are: 1) at the time of application for that species permit or license, or 2) between July 1 and September 30 if the individual did not apply for that species special permit or license.

» CLICK HERE to purchase bonus points online

The bonus points can be used in future years to place the applicants name in the drawing additional times. The number of additional chances is calculated by squaring the base bonus points. Unlike a preference system, a Bonus Points system does not guarantee a license/permit to the applicants with the most bonus points and first-time applicants still have a chance to draw a license/permit. Any bonus points accumulated will not be lost unless the individual draws the species they applied their bonus points to. •Bonus points essentially offer you additional drawing chances and are used for the first hunting district choice only. •Existing bonus points will be mathematically “squared” prior to the drawing. That means if you already have 3 “base” bonus points those will be “squared” and you’ll then have 9 bonus points going into the drawing. •If you wish to participate in the Bonus Point program for licenses/ permits, at the time of your application, you must check “YES” on the Bonus Point questions and include the $20 (nonresident) or $2 (resident) Bonus Point fee per permit type. Then if you’re unsuccessful, you’ll be awarded an additional base bonus point for next year’s drawing. •If you did not apply for a license or permit you can purchase a bonus point for that license or permit from July 1st through September 30th. The fee to purchase a bonus point without applying is $15 per species for residents and the nonresident fees are $25 per species except for Moose, Sheep, and Goat which are $75 per species. Note: You cannot apply and purchase bonus points in the same year. •Any bonus points accumulated will not be lost unless the individual draws their first choice on the species they applied their bonus points.

• Sitka Gear