Firehuntfish 27-Sep-19
TrapperKayak 27-Sep-19
Franklin 27-Sep-19
olebuck 27-Sep-19
TrapperKayak 27-Sep-19
26-Sep-19

TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
Any suggestions on how to remove the creases in the hair on a recently shipped impala and wildebeest flat skin, other than mounting it on a board and waiting....any suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks. TK

26-Sep-19
soak it in clean water - a cap full of tide laundry soap - untill it is like a wet towel - completely saturated

lay it out to dry and groom the hair with a brush... as it dries you may have to pull the hide to keep it stretched to where it is now.

26-Sep-19
Would not suggest soaking the whole tanned leather. It may end up stiff and warped plus you can lose tanning oils. You should be able to mist or wet only the seam where it is folded and pull or stretch it over a table or counter edge to help realign the hair follicles along the fold. If you have a spot steamer you can use the on the fold only then stretch an work area over a counter/table edge.

26-Sep-19
I have experienced your issue on the crates I have received from Africa that included folded skins.

I have solved the problem by simply laying the skins out flat and let time remove the creases and the odors associated with the tanning process and folded shipping process. It’s just take a little patience.

26-Sep-19
Is there a best way to ship skins like these? Perhaps request they roll the skins rather than fold them?

26-Sep-19
Thanks for the advice. I also agree with rolling them up. Not folding them.

26-Sep-19
Do not rewet the skin....it will dry stiff and you don`t have the equipment to get it soft again. If you have a clothes steamer, this is the best way. If not rewet the hair or place a wet (not dripping) towel on the area.

As bad as those are you may not get them completely flat. If they don`t come out you can rewet the hair then mix warm water with a little elmer`s glue in it. Comb into the hair and plaster it flat. After it dries take a fine tooth comb or brush and comb out the glue.

Never have your hides tanned in Africa.....always bring them back.

27-Sep-19
I have had every one of my hides tanned in Africa and have never had a problem with them. The quality of the tanning depends on the quality of the tannery. There two types of tanners- good and bad. Your end product depends on the quality you seek.

27-Sep-19
The tanned product seems good. The color of the hide is a light bluish gray. It was folded instead of rolled so it has creases. I am going to stretch it out on a sheet of plywood and leave it outside on dry days, in the garage at night and during wet weather. I will work it using methods suggested here. Mainly just hope the hair lies down. The hair gel suggestion (LW'ers) seems like a good one, and wetting the crease and laying heavy plywood across it. If that doesn't work, I'll try some of the others. Thanks ya'll.

27-Sep-19
100% agree with Buffalo1 that having your hides tanned in Africa is certainly not the issue... Like anywhere else, it is the quality of the facility doing the work regardless of the location, and there are MANY quality tanning facilities in Africa that do excellent work, and often for much less than what it would cost you here in the States...

27-Sep-19
Yup, got no complaints with the actual condition of the tanned skins. They even skinned out the heads and faces, tails very well and the whole thing is included. I figured they'd come with the heads cut off and skinned up to neck only. They even patched the holes with leather. Wasn't expecting that, but wouldnt have mattered to me if they'd left the holes open.

27-Sep-19
Your skins are Chrome tanned....African chrome tanning let alone tanning in general are inferior to an American tannery. You would never receive a skin in that condition from a local tannery.....NEVER.

I have tanned African hides for 35 years. The chemicals they use are a crap shoot at best. In certain areas of the country they are forced to use only products the governments supply. That`s why even their salt they use sucks. In some areas they bug proof dust their skins with materials the US outlawed 30 years ago.

It`s a 3rd world country.....your product reflects that.

27-Sep-19
wetting it should not hurt it. once the fibers in the hide are broken they will not shrink back to what they were originally.

if you don't want to soak it. lay it out flat and lay a damp towel on top of where it is creased - once the hide is damp in these spots stretch it and groom the hair.

27-Sep-19
They used moth balls to bug proof it. Smelling up the whole garage but it will fade. Thanks olebuck, I'll try that.

• Sitka Gear