PECO 01-Oct-19
Sean D. 01-Oct-19
duckhunterbrad 02-Oct-19
elmer@laptop 04-Oct-19
Adrenaline Russ 04-Oct-19
Adrenaline Russ 06-Oct-19
MathewsMan 06-Oct-19
27-Sep-19
Ill be in Anchorage next Sat for the first time. Ill have half a day to kill so what is there to do? Anything that I shouldn't miss? Any recommendations on a hotel for the night?

27-Sep-19
You can walk down to the river and maybe get to watch some entertaining "combat fishing".

27-Sep-19
Check out the museum. Pizza and beers at moose's tooth(there's usually about an hour wait for a table. They make their own beers) also, maybe take a drive down along turnagaim arm to girdwood or portage. Great views along the ocean with an outside chance to see beluga whales. Portage lake is beautiful on a clear day. Take a drive up to glen alps/flat top mtn. Great views.

27-Sep-19
Local Sportsman Warehouse to view the trophies.

27-Sep-19

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
If you have a rental car, Whittier is only about 90 minutes from Anchorage. When you come out of the tunnel, Portage Pass Trail is on your right. Short hike up to the Portage Glacier. Very scenic and not your typical tourist attraction. Get some fresh seafood for lunch or dinner in Whittier....right on the port.

27-Sep-19
Drive down to Seward and fish for silvers in the bay. Or fish in Ship creek in town (Anc). If you like salmon, few taste better than chrome silvers. Combat fishing ain't that difficult.

27-Sep-19
PS, get your eggs down to the bottom quick of the pinks will get 'em.

27-Sep-19
Getting dark quick this time of year and plan accordingly along with the weather.

27-Sep-19
I only have an afternoon to check some stuff out so any fishing is out. I get in around 2 and leave the next morning for the peninsula so thought id check some local sights and grab something good to eat before im stuck eating mountain house for a couple weeks

27-Sep-19
What are you going to be hunting?

27-Sep-19
There was a saloon that served steaks for a good price, don't remember the name. You should have no problem finding a good meal. Have a great hunt and stay safe. Show us some pics of your hunt.

27-Sep-19
Sean, No advice on Anchorage but good luck and stick a monster! Please post the story when you get back. I'm sure it'll be a great read!

27-Sep-19
When I have family/friends come visit, I make the trip South on the Seward Highway. Beautiful drive. Look for Belugas and Sheep on the way down. Stop a the Wildlife Conservation Center in Portage- buffalo, moose, caribou, muskox bears, etc... (people love being 5' from brown bears with just a fence between them). I hate zoo's, but many of these animals are rescues so I give them a pass. If you still have time after that head over to Whittier. Cool little town and $12 gets you through a 2 mile tunnel to see the old army installation on Prince William Sound. Also, takes you past Portage Glacier on the way to the tunnel. Best way to kill 3-4 hours.

27-Sep-19

kscowboy's Link
Millennium Hotel is awesome. Expensive but the restaurant and location on Lake Hood for the float plane traffic is awesome. Their halibut fish & chips are the only thing I'd order--amazing.

27-Sep-19
Embry, Hunting brown bear. Boreal, thanks! Ill try to do a write up when I return but im not near the writer that a lot of guys on here are.

27-Sep-19
Drive down the Seward Hwy between mcHugh creek and Beluga point and glass for Dall's Sheep above the road. Whittier is the farthest I would go with that amount of time. You can eat in Girdwood if you like ski resorts, double musky is the place there. Plenty other options in Anchorage.

27-Sep-19
Must visit in Anchorage

http://www.akbushcompany.com/phone/index.html

27-Sep-19
Bob, I regret not going and getting a beer and a t-shirt. My sheep guide had a client who was Czech but fluent in Russian. The stories on him made the time pass. He was notorious for coming in early and hitting the Bush Company for a couple of days straight. Evidently, he was a huge fan of Russian hookers and was able to pull them out of there.

27-Sep-19
LOL I think Dazzle may be or has been a dude at one point.

27-Sep-19
Drive around the perimeter of the airport and look for moose. Been there twice and there were always moose around the airport. May have changed last time was 2005.

27-Sep-19
Screw the story....just post the pics of a dead bear!!! lol

27-Sep-19
If you do take the drive down along turnagain arm to Girdwood Definitely stop at the double musky for dinner. Great food!

And, you don't have to be a great story teller. Just post a pic and five a brief recap of the hunt. And post pictures from wherever you go, on road, plane, or when you are hunting! Good luck!

27-Sep-19
The Bush Club. I remember a gal, a "polar bear rug" and a bottle of body lotion. And it was 2 am. WOW!

28-Sep-19
Wish I was in town I’d show ya around and grab a beer. I’ll be out of town that weekend. Hope to catch you on the back side. Lakefront is my go to rec for a hotel. My guest room is taken or you could crash at my place for free. Shoot me a text if you want food recs depending on how fancy you are wanting. Lot of good eats in town.

28-Sep-19
Be careful meeting up with Embry for "A" beer...

28-Sep-19
Since you only have a few hours...get a reindeer dog from a street vendor and go to the museum. The 4-5 hours will fly by.

01-Oct-19
May want to consider getting lunch and a cold beer at Humpy's. We always go by there for a bite when in Anchorage.

01-Oct-19
x2 on Moose's tooth brewery. We stay at the La Quinta, they have an airport shuttle, they will also shuttle you out to the brewery and back. Just give the driver a tip. Great place, good breakfast too.

01-Oct-19
Might have to spend a little more time there on my way back. Thanks for all the suggestions.

02-Oct-19
Simon and Seaforts is a great place if you're looking for seafood. Club Paris has good steaks. Moose's tooth is awesome for a pizza and beer!

04-Oct-19
Sean, be ready for crappy weather Saturday here in Anchorage....looks bbn like rain and possibly turning to snow in town with accumulation of 10+ inches in the mountains Saturday night. Shouldn't affect flying out of Anchorage though!

04-Oct-19
Hey Sean,

I'm also going to be in Anchorage tomorrow. Flying out on Sunday to Cordova. I'll send you a PM.

Russ

06-Oct-19
Bowsite is so cool! Was able to connect with Sean in Anchorage yesterday and had a good visit. Two bowhunters on their first trips to Alaska!! Hope he has a great Brown Bear hunt!

If anyone else is in Anchorage, I come back out of camp (hopefully) on October 16 and will have about 7 hours to kill. Fly into Cordova today, then goat camp on Monday. Man is Alaska beautiful!

Russ

06-Oct-19
I’ll be in Anchorage on the 16th Russ, but I’ll be having Cataract surgery and a new lens put in my left eye. I’ll pm my number.

• Sitka Gear