onX Maps
Dumbest thing you heard/saw this season?
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
Jaquomo 28-Sep-19
JohnMC 28-Sep-19
Jaquomo 28-Sep-19
orionsbrother 28-Sep-19
Scrappy 28-Sep-19
badbull 28-Sep-19
Cazador 28-Sep-19
hoyt-6190 28-Sep-19
Brun 28-Sep-19
Hans 1 28-Sep-19
PoudreCanyon 28-Sep-19
BigJobsRBig 28-Sep-19
Franklin 28-Sep-19
Heat 28-Sep-19
drycreek 28-Sep-19
badbull 28-Sep-19
Ermine 28-Sep-19
fastflight 28-Sep-19
Slate 29-Sep-19
RogBow 29-Sep-19
moosenelson 29-Sep-19
Native Okie 29-Sep-19
Brun 29-Sep-19
Surfbow 29-Sep-19
GF 29-Sep-19
RogBow 29-Sep-19
Jaquomo 29-Sep-19
Bowsiteguy 29-Sep-19
Zim 29-Sep-19
DConcrete 29-Sep-19
Bou'bound 29-Sep-19
Ambush 29-Sep-19
Dyjack 29-Sep-19
Zim 29-Sep-19
Highlife 29-Sep-19
Thornton 29-Sep-19
elkrod88 29-Sep-19
Zim 29-Sep-19
Snuffer 29-Sep-19
Zim 29-Sep-19
Ace 29-Sep-19
Hans 1 29-Sep-19
DConcrete 29-Sep-19
DConcrete 29-Sep-19
goelk 29-Sep-19
Norseman 29-Sep-19
Quinn @work 29-Sep-19
Firsty 30-Sep-19
TrapperKayak 30-Sep-19
Bake 30-Sep-19
Will 30-Sep-19
Jaquomo 30-Sep-19
Vonfoust 30-Sep-19
Z Barebow 30-Sep-19
Destroyer350 30-Sep-19
wyobullshooter 30-Sep-19
hoytshooter1 30-Sep-19
Rock 30-Sep-19
elkstabber 30-Sep-19
yooper89 30-Sep-19
longspeak74 30-Sep-19
DConcrete 30-Sep-19
KSBOW 30-Sep-19
yooper89 30-Sep-19
GF 30-Sep-19
Lowandslow 30-Sep-19
altitude sick 30-Sep-19
jordanathome 30-Sep-19
elmer@laptop 30-Sep-19
David A. 01-Oct-19
Grey Ghost 01-Oct-19
longspeak74 01-Oct-19
APauls 01-Oct-19
Bake 01-Oct-19
jordanathome 01-Oct-19
12yards 01-Oct-19
Jaquomo 01-Oct-19
Vonfoust 01-Oct-19
Surfbow 02-Oct-19
Tonybear61 02-Oct-19
GF 02-Oct-19
Jaquomo 02-Oct-19
elkmtngear 02-Oct-19
Zim 07-Oct-19
Surfbow 07-Oct-19
GF 07-Oct-19
DConcrete 08-Oct-19
Tom 08-Oct-19
skookumjt 10-Oct-19
fubar racin 10-Oct-19
orionsbrother 10-Oct-19
WapitiBob 10-Oct-19
Zim 14-Oct-19
swede 14-Oct-19
HH1 14-Oct-19
goelk 15-Oct-19
Outdoorsdude 18-Oct-19
backcountrymuzzy 18-Oct-19
Birdman 18-Oct-19
Scar Finga 19-Oct-19
28-Sep-19
For me it was the two guys arriving back at their camp at 1:00 p.m. on a day when the wind whipped every direction.

Me: "You guys having any luck?"

Them: "Oh yeah, we're jumping elk in the heavy timber but can't get a shot. WE NEED MORE HUNTERS IN THE AREA TO PUSH THE ELK AROUND, KEEP THEM MOVING!"

Me: "I really prefer to hunt undisturbed elk that aren't spooked and running by".

Them: Knowing smiles like I had no idea what I was talking about..

28-Sep-19
That ebikes should be allowed in NF. ;)-

Just pushing your buttons Lou!

28-Sep-19
Ha! They ARE allowed in NF! Someday I want to watch you try to ride my Rambo up some of the rough, washed out ATV trails I ride. I'll bring the beer and popcorn! ;-)

28-Sep-19
LOL! What do you know, Lou?

You don’t even take shots on running bulls.

From 95 yards.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard you with a “catch phrase”

But... if you can outrun a moose, maybe you could outpace an elk.

Next level thinking.

28-Sep-19
Me sitting there eating breakfast mid morning telling myself that's not a bull but another hunter as he continues to walk almost right to me bulging his head off. Sometimes I can have some of the dumbest conversations with myself.

28-Sep-19
On a Colorado quad / bike / m/c only trail 2 ( out of state) guys with a hung up 4x4 jeep really tearing the trail up. Earlier at the trailhead they had told my son (who was riding his ebike) that they had gotten their quad stuck up the trail. Them lying about the type of vehicle tells me that they knew they were doing wrong.

28-Sep-19
Seeing a tourist get torn up by an elk in Estes Park.

28-Sep-19
Listened to a guy bugle into an area where a bull walked in for 4 hours. He didn’t see or hear the bull the entire time he was in there.

28-Sep-19
I was lucky enough to draw a tag in one of the northwest Colorado units this year. Got to know a few of the other guys and we would stop in at each others camps and share info. We were all pretty blown away the first few days and everyone was very excited. Comments were generally something like " Saw 25 bulls this morning, waiting for a giant, this place is amazing" As we were talking one day a new rig showed up and made camp near my friends. I was camped a few miles away. I didn't see anyone for a couple of days, but the next time I stopped by I asked what the story with the new guy was. Apparently the new guy said "This place sucks, I hate it here." I thought they were kidding, but apparently he was used to heavy timber and was intimidated by the open country. We couldn't believe someone would wait at least 19 years and have done no scouting or have any idea about the unit. From then on when someone killed or came back with stories of close calls on huge bulls our response was always "this place sucks, I hate it here." The next time I dropped by this area I asked if the newcomer was doing any better I was told, "He left after 2 days" Great effort buddy, but you're right, "THIS PLACE SUCKS"

28-Sep-19
A nonresident landowner neighbor from Georgia started a long speech about how there were no mature bucks in our area this year nothing even close to 150”. When he finally let me get a word in I responded “wow we got pretty lucky we killed one the other day in the mid 170s” his response was “Which one was it. “.

28-Sep-19
Earlier this season, somebody on here referred to me as “an expert elk hunter”...

28-Sep-19
Shot a bull and left the head in my truck while I was helping my buddy try to shoot one. Came back to the truck to find a note on the windshield asking me to call this guy and tell him where I shot the bull.

28-Sep-19
Tried to buy a OTC Colorado bear tag after they were sold out....then sitting on a wallow a 300 lb almost color phase bear comes in and drinks broadside at 27 yards. Then walks closer to 18 yards and takes another drink, dead broadside.

I think he flipped me off when he left.

28-Sep-19
Where do I start? I've heard a ridiculous amount of baloney this year. 6 elk hit by one guy, no recovery on any. Diesel poured into a water catchment. Shots fired from a gun at another hunter. Some people need to have some better mentors out there.

28-Sep-19
Some guy posted a thread on TexasBowhunter. “ Can deer smell OFF ? “

28-Sep-19
CDOW commentator statement that bowhunters do not need long seasons due to " them routinely taking game at 100 yards plus" ranks up there if statements before the actual season count.

28-Sep-19
Guy saying he sees fresh sign and has jumped some elk walking around mid day. But chalks it up to he just has bad luck with elk.

28-Sep-19
BigJobsRBig,

Why havent you called me yet? Simple question.

29-Sep-19

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo

29-Sep-19
I guess I would hunt that unit if I had to Brun haha. I think maybe this person was trying to keep people away from a big one he found?

29-Sep-19
Just saw that scrapemaker. Makes deer hoofprints!! Soooooo stupid. Lotta cash for a fancy plastic kiddie shovel.

29-Sep-19
On myself, shuttling gear up the mountain with my ATV. I looked like the Keystone Cops at times. SMH....

29-Sep-19
RogBow, your suggestion that this guy was laying down a smokescreen to keep other hunters away from a spot is a tactic that many guys might consider, but it wasn't the case with him. He was truly intimidated and confused by something, I think maybe the size and openness of the country, and from what we could observe he and his friend went on a couple of hunts and just gave up. It was shocking to me that he hadn't done any scouting or research before the hunt. I scouted extensively this summer, as did most of the other guys I talked with. Seemed like an incredible waste of a tag that someone else would have loved to have, but he was one less guy to deal with so we weren't sorry[just amazed] to see him leave.

29-Sep-19
Some guys from the midwest were hunting an area in the mountains before we got there and 'marked a trail' through the timber 1/2 mile from the truck. There was toilet paper tied on branches approximately every 10 feet for 200 yards...I don't know how many rolls they usually carry, but it seemed like there wouldn't be enough left to do your business after all that trail marking :)

29-Sep-19
If it was only 200 yards, do you suppose it was a blood trail?

Guess they were moving slowly!

29-Sep-19
Sir, consider me amazed as well and maybe a bit sickened.

29-Sep-19
Yep, Brun, some people envision that as an "easy" hunt, where you can flock shoot into herds of 350 bulls. It's difficult and intimidating. Still can't believe the guy just bagged it, though.

29-Sep-19
Dumbest thing? The tourists getting up close to the nice elk. Lamest? The two buff guys noping away from that woman on the ground getting raked while they were trying to act nonchalant.

29-Sep-19
Countless absolute moron spike hunters in my Mt. Emily big bull hunt blowing on their freakin bugle calls 150 times per morning, stumbling into the herds from upwind until every last elk was blown out of the country, totally ruining the hunt I waited 21 years for. They need a guy from Indiana to teach them how to elk hunt? Really? Pathetic. All of their camps had nuthin hangin. My first evening after bailing from their fiasco I had a spike broadside at 35 yards for 5 minutes with a grand total of........zero bugles. Then the next morning I finally escaped the clowns long enough to get 4 stalks and salvage a 310" bull out of my rabbit's hat, once again with zero bugles. But what a horrible experience. Oregon needs to clean up their act and get real game managers, or vote out the corrupt politicians with special interest group money in their pockets. Whatever their problem is. They robbed me blind calling that a quality trophy hunt. BTW their own residents who had a tag were of the exact same opinion. Every one I met.

29-Sep-19
Lol I love seeing your posts Zim.

Rotten man child.

29-Sep-19
That 310 is a fine elk though. Well done

29-Sep-19
"Can you hunt anything you want?"

"No, I only have tags for certain animals, like one tag for one deer."

"Oh, how do you tell which specific deer matches your tag?" As in, do the deer have numbers on them.

29-Sep-19
Tried to give a guy the benefit of the doubt to help fill his elk tag a few days before the end of the hunt.

Got half way up the first ridge.. He forgot his binos and rangefinder. He wouldn't go back to the truck to get them.

Glassed a bull bugling. Another friend and I told him we could probably kill it. His response was "all the way over there?" He reluctantly agreed.

Luckily for him we heard a bull closer. It was a nice 300+ bull. It was uninterested in the calls, so I told them we could bull dog him down and try to get him to turn around. That we have to hoof it though because the bull will stroll out of our lives.

I start hauling ass. Everytime I look behind me the friend without the tag is with me, guy who bragged up his hunting abilities with the tag is 50 yards back snapping every stick. So we have to stop and wait.

300 class bull left our lives. We had about 40 minutes of good shooting light. I tell them we can push through the top. I tell them there is always little bulls and spikes close. But once again insist we need to hurry. We wait for 20 minutes at the top for him.

At the top we begin hauling ass to make something happen. Beyond some small aspens I see a small bull probably 40 yards away. My buddy without the tag and I both turn to say the other guys name at the same time. We look back expecting him to already have an arrow nocked to move up past the aspens...

He was 50 yards behind us again. Making a ton of noise. We knew it was fucked, but I backed up to try to draw the bulls attention away. (My tagless friend had to range for him because he didn't go back to get the finder. So two guys had to move in.) Needless to say bull walked out of our lives.

I tell him he's got one last chance before dark that he needs to keep up and to just keep his arrow nocked. I cow call as we move through the aspens. A lonely dink bull answers beyond them.

I tell him to go around with the guy who has the rangefinder then stop beyond the aspens, not make any noise, and draw when he sees the elk. I backed up 50 yards and started calling. The bull was coming in. Light was getting dim and I knew it had to be 20 yards, or less for it to work.

I could hear the elk moving in on a string. I expect to hear a THWACK.

Instead, I hear a shitty Reed cow call echo out from the shooters location. Bull sees them. Stays out of range walks out of our lives. Can't see him beyond 40 in the light. Glad he didn't wing an arrow at him. Shooter then disappears into the darkness cow calling at the bull like it didn't just watch him standing in the field blowing a Reed call at him.

"That's elk hunting, if we got here ten minutes ago that bull would've died." is all I can say.

Then we get our lamps ready to leave. I tell them the way we hiked in is faster to get out. Reedcall guy is already hauling ass the other way with a phone light. He suddenly has all the energy in the world that he didn't have to get into those elk before light was gone. Told us he got us a ride from the other side to save us some time. Dumbass me once again gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Ended up adding way more time because the person dropped us off at a FS entrance rather than driving us to the cars. That was twice as far as the hike out the original way we hiked in. My IQ dropped severely from this experience. LOL

Will never hunt with that guy again that's for damn sure. And I hope you guys don't lose IQ from reading it.

29-Sep-19
Dumas, You got me confused with your boy Don Peay. I'm a Trump supporter because we both call it like we see it. You want it candy coated and double-talked, stick with your boy.

29-Sep-19
Oh no someone got the Great Zim's panties bunched :)

29-Sep-19
The more I read these threads, the less I want to try for archery elk.

29-Sep-19
Noticed some tire tracks entering an open grassy area at least a half of a mile from forest road. Came across a hunter who informed me that they had a group of hunters back in there. I questioned "Did someone drive a truck back in here?" And he replied " Yes we did a mid day game retrieval." They were from Texas where I quess that is okay.

29-Sep-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Well look who showed up.........Liberal master Highlife, king of free stuff ! :) How's that workin out for ya in Illinois?

29-Sep-19
310 is a pretty good bull in oregon even in Emily.

29-Sep-19
"310 is a pretty good bull in Oregon even in Emily." I know it's not easy, and I felt fortunate to score anything. The vast majority of the hunters up top were not so lucky. But my comment was directed toward the thread subject. And it was about the absurd behavior of the spike hunters, as well as the bizarre management of ODFW to allow such a cluster flock of a season to occur. NEVER seen anything like this in my 25 year hunting life. Throwing in 170+ "could care less" spike hunters in with 50 big bull hunters who waited 16-21 years for the hunt is well beyond dumb.

29-Sep-19
“Thought I hit him good, but we didn’t find much blood, I guess I hit the VOID”.

29-Sep-19
From: Heat28-Sep-19Private Reply Where do I start? I've heard a ridiculous amount of baloney this year. 6 elk hit by one guy, no recovery on any. Diesel poured into a water catchment. Shots fired from a gun at another hunter. Some people need to have some better mentors out there. You must have been hunting very close to me last week. Heard the same story’s unreal

29-Sep-19
You’re a cry baby. Every post you make has a negative tone to it whether it’s other hunters, or anyone’s fish and game departments.

If somebody does anything different than you, they’re wrong. They’re stupid. They’ve screwed you over.

You’re a ball tit cry baby. Take your ball and go home.

29-Sep-19
Everyone that you’re complaining about has bought a tag just like you and has the right to be there, just like you.

I know you think you’re God’s gift to bowhunting and to man kind, but you’re not.

29-Sep-19
All the BLM landlock I cannot hunt.

29-Sep-19
Take this over to the community forum....

......oh, that’s right....nevermind.

29-Sep-19
Thornton..... "The more I read these threads, the less I want to try for archery elk."

I agree you probably should stick to your gun hunts. Then post them on the BOWsite.

30-Sep-19
Zim crybaby story number 4,715........or is it 4,716 I forget?

30-Sep-19
Seems the Indiana boys got a chip on their shoulder. Just telling it like it is.

30-Sep-19
To get the thread back on track. . . . .

I didn't talk to many hunters this year. Usually kinda hide and try to avoid it.

Was walking in first night though, headed up to set up a spike camp. My buddy and I could see small bull appearing in and out of the oak brush up above, pretty high. But visible with naked eye

We met a hunter on the trail, while watching the bull. Of course, we immediately clammed up. Hunter says, "I haven't see any elk." As I studiously try to avoid looking up behind him. . . . . :)

30-Sep-19
Jaq - were those guys from out here on the east coast? I hear guys saying that during shotgun season and some during ML season out here. I dont like it, but see the "theory" on whitetails... but elk with a gazillion acres to roam... Whoopsie, seems an appropriate description.

30-Sep-19
No, actually they were local to NoCo, couple guys in their 60s. But I got the sense they were rifle hunters who decided to go bowhunting. They were hunting right on the edge of RMNP (across the road from the boundary) and anybody who knows anything knows the elk run into the Park and stay there when pressured. Dumb.

30-Sep-19
I would have put money on them being rifle hunters from PA.

30-Sep-19
Several things come to mind. Bad calling was pretty prevalent. But my #1 this season happened an early morning. I was truck camping and decided to access a hunting area via a TH. As I drive into the TH at O dark thirty, in my headlights I see a guy in a bivy sack sleeping under a tree with his mtn bike. I made sure I drove to avoid casting my headlights on him (And looking out for other people!). I stopped a fair distance from him. I get out of the truck and start getting ready for the hike in. Within seconds, I hear a woman yelling (Get out of here! Go home! Get away from here!,,,,,,,) She was CONSTANT! (I suspect she was sleeping several yards from the dude I saw sleeping) Keep in mind I am probably 60-80 yards away. At first I didn't know if her ranting was directed at me or something else. I turned my head/headlamp in her direction and she bellers "Yeh you!" She isn't coming up for air! I thought about confronting her, but I didn't want to let her negativity ruin my hunt. I was hiking in ~ 1.5 miles, so I wasn't worried about her yelling affecting the hunt. I hiked up the trail and she kept it up until my headlamp disappeared. Turns out there was an ultra mtn bike race/trek. Some folks stopped at TH to rest. I feel sorry for the rest of the people at the trailhead that this woman had to ruin their experience. They were likely embarrassed to have her as a representative of the mountain biking community. As I hiked in, I experienced a wonderful sunrise and life was good! Too bad someone had "Carnation Instant Bitch" for breakfast.

30-Sep-19
I saw a guy that was hunting a limited "A" tag last year tell me this year that he went back and killed a bull during 2nd rifle season. I bet he goes back and hunts 2nd rifle again this year.

30-Sep-19
Listening to some knucklehead continually toot on his flute. Yep, it was one of those old coiled tubing “elk” calls. Apparently, he somehow thought he actually sounded like an elk. It got real comical when he decided to add some “chuckles” . When we got a bull going in spite of his efforts, he decided to come over and join the party...coming in upwind, of course.

30-Sep-19
Rob, did you son tag out?

30-Sep-19
One morning 2 guy's hunting near where I was who walked into a herd of Elk in the dark with Cows barking at them and they stayed where the Elk had been for 2 hours calling trying the pull them back.

30-Sep-19
Didn't see anything out of the normal dumb this season.

Three years ago I was hunting in CO and a bike race was coming through the trail. It was an overnight race, meaning that the racers didn't stop and raced through the night. I didn't know any of this.

Like Z Barebow's post (above) I just sort of figured it out because I was hiking up a trail and the racers were coming down it. Switchbacks and all. I thought I was being considerate by stepping off the trail. One racer seemed to scold me when he told me how dangerous it was to go hunting. For once I had my wits about me and screamed back at him, "don't tell me how dangerous hunting is when you're the one wearing a helmet and pads."

30-Sep-19

yooper89's embedded Photo
yooper89's embedded Photo
This is definitely up there. Just saw it on an Instagram post from a guy trying to make his name in “the industry.” What’s that old saying, “fool me a third time.”

30-Sep-19
Ran into a couple dirt bikers on non-motorized trail. Signs at both ends of the trail stating clearly.

30-Sep-19
I don’t see yoopers as the dumbest thing. What I’d say is dumb is posting it on social Media. The guy admits he has a lot to work on and it sounds like he’s trying.

30-Sep-19
Run into two guys in area I was hunting, looked beat. Asked how we were doing as were unloading packs for bivy hunt. Commented that we had been seeing Elk not much sound though. "That because there are no elk here, we have been driving roads in entire 20 mile area bugling and have not heard one bull." Started at 2:00am this is 4:00pm the following day. Now this was my first hunt but seems to me it may explain why I am not hearing any bulls bugle??

30-Sep-19
DC I would’ve stopped after the second lost bull, and maybe waited for a steady shot on number 3 but that’s just me.

30-Sep-19
Not Bowhunting related, but it takes the cake.... Tragically....

I see in the news feed that 17 year old kid was killed (with a RIFLE) down in GA when another kid heard rustling I’m a bush and “thought it was a deer”....

Never mind that it’s still archery season...

My older son is almost 17....

30-Sep-19
Good stories, I've enjoyed the thread.

Second night of the hunt, sitting water when a buggy coming down the old closed 2 track which leads into the water around 530pm. I've had elk in at 4pm on multiple occasions. I walk out to tell them I'm hunting here. Guy gets out of the buggy, "MY DAD IS FIFTY FKN NINE HE DOESN'T GET AROUND SO WELL, IM FKN ROAD HUNTING, HOW DARE YOU GET OUT AND APPROACH ME! GET BACK IN YOUR STAND"

I said, "well I understand that, and that is unfortunate, but the road is closed by forest service"

he says, "BULL, THE ROAD AINT CLOSED GET THE FK BACK IN YOUR STAND" while his dad sat there gripping on to the steering wheel. This guy was so angry, I wasn't sure if he was going to pull a gun, or start crying. So I walked back and got in my stand. I didn't mention that my dad is 60 and we'd already hiked 6 miles that day chasing big bulls.

I sat down in my stand and thought to myself.... How does one archery road hunt elk? Man those guys must be good. I wish they'd teach me their ways, because I'd love to drive around drinking beer all day and shoot big animals. Anyone have any tips? Is there a class for archery road hunting elk?

30-Sep-19
LowandSlow, I know this is another topic, But what percentage of all hunters are slob hunters similar to that clown?

Unfortunately I’m starting to thinks it’s over 50%. I hope I’m wrong.

30-Sep-19
Me miss my shot (deflection) on a nice 6x6 at 30 yards not 15 mins after I heard my buddy shoot an elk 150 yards from me. 0-13 I Am Legend

30-Sep-19
Had a tourist staying at a lodge in central Alaska ask me "when do the caribou turn in to moose??"

Unbelieveable!!

01-Oct-19
Watched a truck pull right up to a tank we were glassing in prime time, slam the car door and then throw out a few bugles. Gets back in and off they go...

01-Oct-19
One morning, I stopped my Jeep well short of a bluff that elk are known to travel up at first light. While I was hiking the 2-track in the dark, I had a truck-full of dumbasses drive right up behind me. When their headlights hit me, I stopped, turned around, and gave them a "do you see me here?" gesture. To my surprise, they just kept driving towards me. So, I turned around and continued hiking in the middle of the road at a very slow pace. They literally followed right behind me for over a mile all the way to the bluff, ruining any possibility of seeing elk!!

Finally, they stopped following me and parked their truck in a spot where any elk within 5 miles could see it. I continued down the 2-track another 500-600 yards and set up on a well used game trail. For the next 30 minutes, before the sun came up, I could hear them loudly talking inside their truck. Then, right at legal shooting light, I hear them opening the truck doors, clanking gear around, then loudly slamming the doors. I see 2 hunters bail off the bluff in a direction that put the wind directly to their backs. Then the driver fires the truck back up and drives off.

I've come to expect this type of idiotic behavior from muzzleloader hunters, but not from bow hunters. I can only conclude these yahoos were wannabes.

Matt

01-Oct-19
Lowandslow - my dad is 80 and he would've kicked my ass if he heard me talking to someone else like that!

01-Oct-19
LOL, lots of good laughs. One thing is constant. Just cause guys are carrying bows, doesn't make them bowhunters. And while they may take a portion of available tags, at least they drop the success rate avg so that we still have reason for archery seasons :)

01-Oct-19
Road hunting archery elk. . . . Unreal. I have a similar story that happened in 2009 on my first elk hunt. CO OTC, too many roads in this unit, we abandoned it after 1 day. Walking back to camp down the road. A truck drives by really slowly, with a hunter in the back of the truck sitting in a lawn chair, holding a bow with an arrow knocked. . . . Really?!

01-Oct-19
Oh my Bake....now that takes the cake! (groans at the bad joke)

01-Oct-19
Nice to meet all you guys!!

01-Oct-19
Road hunting archery elk... well, this season after pounding the backcountry for three weeks straight with no bull, I was driving a main county road through NF to town for supplies one evening. Spotted some elk in the trees with about 20 minutes of legal shooting light left. I grabbed my bow and snuck in to 36 yards from the herd bull and two cows but no shot. Backed out without spooking them.

The next morning I drove to where I would park to maybe intercept them up the ridge and saw the herd bull standing just off the road with some cows behind him in the trees. Somebody in a lawn chair with an arrow nocked could've shot him 20 yards. I drove on around the corner and up the hill, parked, snuck in on a bench up above them as they worked their way up to bedding timber, got the five point satellite in to 7 yards and killed him before sunup. The herd bull was still roaring while I field dressed mine.

That evening at dusk I took my girlfriend to town for dinner and that herd bull was standing back in the trees again, right where he was the night before. Girlfriend rolled down the window and threw a few cowcalls at him for laughs.

So yeah, road hunting for elk...? :-)

01-Oct-19
I gotta lawn chair.......just sayin Lou.

02-Oct-19
That's pretty awesome Lou :)

02-Oct-19
Hunting the breaks area in MT on public land. Had walkie talkies on for safety reasons on the way out. Someone else was using the same channel and we could hear the chatter about their trespassing on adjoining rancher land,

After a 3 1/2 mi walk in the dark we had packed up, driving the public road out this numbnuts stands in front of us with a piece hanging around his belt. Accused us of hunting his place. Buddy speaks very firmly to him about where we had been hunting all week, "you could see where we were parked now get the hell out of our way." Could have told him about communications we overheard but what the heck he was a real big jerk blocking our path and he backed down. Could have went a different direction I guess.

02-Oct-19
He probably heard the radio chatter, saw that you had radios on, and figured he had the right guys.

And from the land-owners perspective, I can see how that could get real old, real fast…

Not that I know I admire people who go out of their way to provoke an armed confrontation, because, Dead. Not part of my retirement goals.

02-Oct-19
^^^^^ Many game wardens and now likely ranchers have FRS-GMRS scanners to monitor that very chatter. My game warden buddy once recognized my voice on the Motorola Talkabout when I was pinging AndyJ about a meetup spot later that morning. He broke in and said howdy, wondered how the hunting was going. He was parked on a county road a couple miles away listening to some guys across the valley...

02-Oct-19
My Buddy was sitting a Wallow in NM, had two bulls screaming just up the ridge, when a Lady with a bow, and a Hispanic dude with a lever action rifle, come walking right in to his setup.

Guy asks him "Did you see any deers"? "We're looking for deers" !

07-Oct-19
Dumas, This thread has an entirely negative theme by it's title alone! My post fits right in, unlike your personal attack violating Bowsite rules. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have zero experience in elk hunting the Oregon Mt Emily unit, considering you are from Utah and only one NR DIYer tag is available for archery each year. No I have hunted in 15 different states, and none of them managed a hunt anything like this, save for Oregon. It was beyond dumb. This was not my lone analysis, nor a nonresident perspective. I spoke directly with 12 of the other 49 big bull tag holders, all residents. 100% of them used the word "dumb" or MUCH WORSE to describe this hunt management. I cannot use the words some used. So I think my post fits right in, unlike yours.

Dude, it's been 7 long years since I stopped your boy's AZ HB2072 attempted theft of the best and most valuable 500 public land tags in AZ to piss away to a wealthy few in auctions. Why not get over it? My bet is your boy, Don Peay, did by now, and has moved on? Just pissed because it was a guy from Indiana that did it? What's the difference? Besides I did get some help from MM guys in MT & AZ. I got family all over the western states, including.........CO, NV, CA, OR to name a few.

Try to stay on topic. I know you can do it.

Sadly, some of the best links have expired, but they all won't. We will never forget nor forgive.............................

http://kutv.com/news/local/allegations-of-corruption-surround-utah-hungtin-and-conservation-expo https://www.cascwild.org/don-peay-the-man-who-would-be-king-baron/ http://www.standard.net/Recreation/2016/02/10/Transparency-still-debated-around-2016-Western-Hunting-and-Conservation-Expo.html http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2013/03/19/did-don-peays-organization-essentially-buy-utah-division-of-wildlife/ http://westernvaluesproject.org/taxpayer-dollars-down-the-drain-utah-group-favors-privatized-hunting-energy-industry-over-hunters-anglers/ http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/us/auctions-introduce-market-forces-to-conservation-but-hunters-cry-foul.html?smid=pl-share&_r=2 http://missoulian.com/news/opinion/columnists/group-seeking-privatized-wildlife-spreading-misinformation/article_dfb5fe10-8570-11e1-99d1-0019bb2963f4.html https://howlingforjustice.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/urgent-sfw-founder-requests-taxpayer-money-to-lobby-for-wolf-delisting/ http://www.themudflats.net/archives/25891

07-Oct-19
Well, this thread USED to be cool...

07-Oct-19
Well, how ‘ bout this?

A guy with a jacked-up bow sight crazy-glues it back together so that it gets stuck, forces or free, then - without any attempt whatsoever to verify that he hasn’t damaged it, manages to get 2” of penetration on a Mulie with a panicked shot from 95 yards out...

And he thinks he’s a Hero.

08-Oct-19
You’re trying to attack me over Don Peay, because I’m from Utah? You make no sense but here’s my response. Your state has given us mayor Pete. You must’ve been solely responsible for that mr Indiana. So the country doesn’t thank you.

Thanks for mayor Pete. I see the resemblance between you 2.

08-Oct-19
was a few years back... just setting up camp and 3 guys stop and ask where the elk are. We didn't say much and all of a sudden the one guy says "we're from out of state and we need lots of help". He's right in front of our camp and one of our trucks...with a Minnesota license plate...and we are in Colorado

10-Oct-19

skookumjt's embedded Photo
"Fatso"
skookumjt's embedded Photo
"Fatso"
I helped a friend bear hunting here in WI this year. I had a huge bear coming into one bait pretty consistently but the wind was was goofy for a long time so we didn't hunt it for two weeks. The wind finally switched and I dropped him off to hunt on a Friday afternoon thinking he had a realistic chance on a #600 bear. He texted me after dark and told me that a bear came in ten minutes after I left but no shot. The next day I stopped by to get the details. He said that the bear came in behind him. When I asked if it was "fatso" he said he wasn't sure because he was afraid if he turned around to look he might spook it but it was close enough he could hear it breathing.

He just assumed it would come right in to the bait so he never even turned his head.

10-Oct-19
Not this year but last year a couple drunken loudmouths stopped in as we were setting up our rifle camp, asked directions to a spot they claimed to know and was the honey hole they killed elk in all the time.... I knew the place by name so I told them how to get to it they argued so I was nice and showed them on the map.... they still argued so I told them I didn’t know how to get there then they acted like I’d been wasting their time and sped off in a huff lol. So many things wrong with that story I still, laugh every time I think about it.

10-Oct-19
There was this guy from Colorado. He’s an elk killing machine. He was doubting his season with something like five days left.

He killed a nice elk.

At about seven yards.

And had his girlfriend help pack it out.

I have a hard time getting my wife to pack her shoes into the closet.

10-Oct-19
dumbest thing I've seen this year

from facebook

"K@@@ G@@@ We should stop crying about wolves and start investigating why odfw felt the need to transplant grizzlys into the umatilla national forest/john day wilderness."

14-Oct-19
Dumas, What part of this do you not understand? BOWSITE FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT 7 - Topics must be related to the forum. No off-topic posting allowed.This means that while in the whitetail forum, only topics directly related to bowhunting whitetail deer will be allowed. For example, a question on tuning your bow posted in the bear forum is not allowed. See the forum guidelines below. 8 - Contributors who are argumentative, intolerant, confrontational, and lack respect for others will be removed. While debate is often healthy, habitual debaters and people who seek confrontation will be removed and potentially blocked from making future contributions. This is necessary to ensure a positive experience for the great majority of our visitors.

14-Oct-19
I stopped by a camp where a lone hunter was kicked back at mid day. I introduced myself. He stated his name and immediately started telling me how he had a hunt featured on ESPN. The rest of the conversation went downhill from there. I knew right away I made a mistake stopping in to see how he was doing, and I understood why he hunted alone.

14-Oct-19
I’m not sure it’s the “dumbest” that Ive ever seen but........ My 13 year old daughter and I came across an old mining reclamation area that had 4 or 5 abandoned old vehicles (some I would have liked to have). My daughter looked into the first vehicle only to find a porcupine sitting in the drivers seat looking like he was going to drive on out of there.

15-Oct-19
Dumbest thing that happen everybody in my tent move out to another tent because i snored so bad.

18-Oct-19

Outdoorsdude's embedded Photo
Outdoorsdude's embedded Photo
Apparently parking your red truck in the middle of the "wilderness area" meadow and waiting for the elk to come out is how it's done in unit 52 New Mexico.

18-Oct-19
Hiking out at first light opening morning (in a CO wilderness area) it appeared that the snow on the trail had been shoveled or snowblown or something. Back at camp that night, we saw a group of guys (without backpacks) dragging out a sled with all their gear on it. They had dragged that sled a couple miles through the crunchiest snow ever on opening morning of rifle season in the dark. I don't think there were tons of elk in the area to begin with, but I'm sure they didn't stick around long after sled-boys made their way in.

18-Oct-19
Passed 3 guys on a pack trail early in the morning in idaho hiking up the mountain , we went around them on our mules , told us it was a asshole thing to do going around them like that.

19-Oct-19
Trying to drink as much beer as the guys in Wisconsin, and being told the chicken was done! LOL

• Sitka Gear