LBshooter 12-Mar-21
DanaC 12-Mar-21
Shiloh 12-Mar-21
Habitat 12-Mar-21
Two Feathers 12-Mar-21
Catscratch 12-Mar-21
Shiloh 13-Mar-21
28-Sep-19
I am looking for information on any deer supplement blocks that the deer will go after. To date all of the blocks that I have tried last forever, the deer just don't go after them. I do hunt in the Midwest and have the usual Ag crops nearby.

28-Sep-19

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
I use trace mineral blocks from the feed store. The hard, red blocks. My deer lick on them, lick the ground around them, and one usually lasts about six months. I don’t know what they do for the deer, but I get tons of pics and vids on them. I wish I knew how to post a vid, but here’s a pic.

28-Sep-19
My experience with mineral/salt blocks is that deer hit them hard from spring till late August. Then they pretty much ignore them. I’m guessing that their bodies need the minerals in their summer diet when they are nursing babies and growing racks.

29-Sep-19
I agree that they really decrease use in September. The switch to woody browse in my area is the primary reason. Less salt requirement.

30-Sep-19
Don't know why anyone would use them. EHD,CWD easy to spread at a block site! Shawn

12-Mar-21
Trophy rock (I bust it up for multiple spots) or a bag of trace mineral salt (about $7 at your local feed store and put down about 1/5th of a bag per lick). Tried a bunch, these are the two that deer seem to attack at my places in WI, TN and MS. Good luck

12-Mar-21
Find you a nice hardwood stump, place minerals/Rock on top. By fall it should all be dissolved into the stump, then you have a stump deer will literally eat on for years.

12-Mar-21

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo
Depends on the soil quality. Where the soil is good, plants pick up more minerals and deer don't crave so much.

I've used blocks in good soil areas, they'll hit salt blocks winter and spring. And in 'poor', rocky areas, where they'll hit it year-round.

Anyway, those red cattle blocks are around $9 for a 50 pounder, so it isn't expensive to fool with.

This is a late-winter shot

12-Mar-21
two 50# bags of trace minerals, one 50# bag of stock salt, and one 50# bag of dicalcium phosphate. Mix and pour on a stump or an established lick. I put out 1000#'s of this 2 weeks ago. Some of my licks get hit hard and some not hardly at all.

12-Mar-21
Just about any mix you add salt to isn't for the health of the deer.I haven't seen there is any proof that there is any more chance of a deer catching something at a mineral station that while licking each other in a milo field.

12-Mar-21
When I put one out I want selenium in it. Same with my horses.

12-Mar-21
And just like that.... a spammer brings back to life a thread from 2019.

I've never had luck with blocks. Loose mineral and salt gets use though.

13-Mar-21
Salt is to attract. Other things in the trace and do cal for the health of the deer.

• Sitka Gear