RogBow 30-Sep-19
Tonybear61 30-Sep-19
Dale06 30-Sep-19
x-man 30-Sep-19
APauls 30-Sep-19
GF 30-Sep-19
sundowner 01-Oct-19
29-Sep-19
I have some Beeman carbon arrows that I have shot many hundred times. There is no evidence of flaws in them. But I wonder, do arrows wear out, or lose spine after many shots?

29-Sep-19
I have never retired an arrow because of age. I would not worry about it unless you start having “flyers”. If you notice an particular arrow seems to stray from the group might do away with it.

29-Sep-19
Fugetaboudit

29-Sep-19
I asked the same question years ago. I think it's possible the carbon might loose it's rigidity as the resins get microscopic fractures but you'd have to press test it to know for sure. I've got some Gold Tips I've head for a long time and the paint is wearing off of some of them. Other than that they still shoot.

29-Sep-19
The flexing that happens when an arrow is released can, I believe, eventually degrade arrow spine and cause arrows to fly inconsistently.

29-Sep-19
I’ve never been able to get one to last long enough to worry about it!

LOL

How you guys can have any fun without losing or breaking any arrows, I’ll never understand....

29-Sep-19
Carbon shafts flex weakens over time. Aluminum strength weakens over time.

Pro golfers can wear out graphite golf shafts in short order due to excessive shots on practice range and high usage of shafts during rounds played.

29-Sep-19
Everything has a shelf life.

29-Sep-19
I have shot Aluminum enough to wear it out , don't like carbon so don't know. Forrest

30-Sep-19
You would need to spine check and spin them to see.

30-Sep-19
Don't forget excessive heat, cold and UV light.

That said still shooting some of my older carbons, aluminums. But usually they eventually get lost, broken or bent. After all camo arrows when they get lost are patterned not to be found...

30-Sep-19
Is there a way to test the spine?

30-Sep-19
They make special arrow spine testers. I just used an in-expensive dial indicator years ago when I bothered to check. That device was accidentally knocked off my bench and broken, otherwise I'd post a picture. I made a simple stand to hold the dial indicator under the arrow shaft that was laying on my arrow spinner. I made the correct weight for on top of the arrow by stacking large washers (2.2 lbs I think), then measured the deflection in inches. This is the deflection number given to most arrow spines ( .500", .400", .340", .300" ect...)

Back when I was highly competitive in tournament archery, I was quite picky, marking and labeling each arrow so each was the same spine (far, far more important than weight ). Now, most arrows you buy are very good and I don't bother.

30-Sep-19
That poor arrow needs to be shot at an animal so it can fulfill it's purpose in life.

30-Sep-19

GF's embedded Photo
GF's embedded Photo
“Is there a way to test the spine?”

Of course there is! But hardly anybody does it anymore unless they shoot woodies and make up their own. So they’ve become really pricey - at least given my budget!

Fortunately, I found a used one, and all it needed was a #2 weight, which I found at the local tackle shop....

01-Oct-19
Easton ACC 360's last long enough to wear out......but they don't. A friend of mine shot 11 deer with the same ACC 360. Another guy I hunt with killed 9 javelina with one ACC. I am still shooting ACCs that I bought in 1997. They still spin true and shoot as well as ever.

• Sitka Gear