Jeff Holchin 14-Oct-19
Walleyehunter02 14-Oct-19
Scar Finga 15-Oct-19
30-Sep-19
Looking forward to this story....

30-Sep-19
Enjoying it so far. Keep it coming.

30-Sep-19
I don't see anything wrong with your bow? That kind of cam lean is pretty standard on that model! Ha! Looking forward to the story Scott!

30-Sep-19
I LOVED Scoot's new look. Makes him look 10 years younger with that long ponytail flowing in the wind LOL

30-Sep-19
Scoot.... so one post says you guys were hauling water and then the following pic shows elk standing knee deep...

I literally said out loud "what the f#%k !! How much water did they haul!?!?!

Lmao!

30-Sep-19
You look like you are auditioning for "Joe Dirt 2". LOL!

30-Sep-19

Z Barebow's Link
Following. Hot?

30-Sep-19
I'm truly impressed. Filling up a mudhole with your drinking water to make a wallow is truly next level thinking Scoot.

30-Sep-19
Speaking of next level thinking, I sat high on a steep hill perhaps 200 yards from the waterhole that Scott & Jon napped at so I could glass the area. I signaled to them that elk were coming, but it was only cows and calves. As Scott mentioned, after they drank and cavorted they proceeded to feed and climbed directly to me, the nearest came within perhaps 12 yards before an errant breeze sent them marching off on alert.

So apparently next-level thinking is to sit far, far, far away from a waterhole to get the closest encounter with an elk?! Who would have thunk?

If you recall last year I managed to skewer my first bear the first day I linked up with Scott and Jon. This year I had tags for bear, lion and turkey so I carried my bow most of the time in case we crossed paths with something besides elk. The day prior to me meeting Scott & Jon I did see 2 different bears but both were quite small and I didn't have any desire to go after them.

30-Sep-19
I've been patiently waiting for this story!

30-Sep-19
Keep it coming. Great job so far!

30-Sep-19
Scott’s distraction when he had his bow issue was me on the phone trying to finalize some details for the trip. I heard some choice words followed by him saying a short bye. Not sure I’ve ever heard someone quite so mad.....I gave him a few hours to cool off and hopefully find a solution.

30-Sep-19
Scoot was quite generous on how bad I was feeling day 1. On our last phone calls home before the trip I got the great news that my 1.5 year old had puked all night and my 4.5 year old had puked all day.....I didn’t get the puking part of it, but it wasn’t much fun running for a log/rock every dang hour. It took until sometime on day 4 for me to start feeling back to normal. Especially considering we packed what felt like a metric ton water on day 1, and then packed a bull out in the heat day 2.

30-Sep-19
I’d just like to say I don’t think there is a more positive person on any mountain hunting than Smarba. He keeps your spirits uplifted no matter the situation. Heck he was so positive that it carried over for us into the rest of our hunt. Thank you sir for sharing camp with us again, I can’t wait to do it again.

30-Sep-19
If you had been wearing a flat brim hat, I think you could have pulled that look off, scoot!

Congrats to Jon on his bull! Looking forward to the rest of the story as well!

01-Oct-19
Congrats on the first Bull fellas! Here’s hoping number two took a dirt nap as well!

01-Oct-19
Looking good! Great bull, love those 5x5s

Fun to see bowsiters meet up and hunt together. Looking forward to the rest. Thanks guys!

01-Oct-19
Hunting elk is aging you. You look beat down and old! (Maybe too much sun?) Buzzards looking for another meal? LOL!

01-Oct-19
I missed this thread yesterday, but NOT TODAY! Great so far bud - keep at it! Holy mackinaw that cat deal is a scare! Crazy that Jon essentially predicted it. I feel like I never would have foresaw something like that.

01-Oct-19
Good thing you guys smelled so bad Scoot, otherwise that cat might have been interested in dinner! :-) Great story telling and pics!

01-Oct-19
Thanks for bringing me along... enjoyable!!

01-Oct-19
Glad you guys are having so much of an adventure. Sounds exciting, and worth the element of risk with the cats around. Stay safe!

01-Oct-19
Great thread and story telling! Thanks for sharing!

01-Oct-19
Scoot- All kidding aside. Your stories are ALWAYS top notch. You did not disappoint! Thanks for taking the time to put the recap together. (We will have to get together again this winter for a beverage and share stories!) Take care.

01-Oct-19
Well Scott, I waited until the end to read all of this and I surely appreciate you telling the story about the hunt. Elk are special as are the hunters who hunt them and successful or not, the story NEVER ends. Yep, next September is not too far way. Well done. My best, Paul

01-Oct-19
Very nice write up Scoot. Feel for you that it didn't come together and probably of little consolation to you that I say 'you tried hard', but from the sounds of it, you enjoyed it immensely. Appreciate you taking the time to write it for us.

01-Oct-19
Well Scoot, any hunt like this I feel like you have to take group statistics into account. As a group you went 1/2, or 50%. Well above average. it's too bad you weren't able to notch your tag, but you were successful in your story telling! Thanks for putting in the effort. Congrats on the bull for Jon!

01-Oct-19
Hell of a write up Scoot! Enjoyed the pics and the story. Sometimes that is just the way it goes and to me that is why we bowhunt!

01-Oct-19
Well done gentlemen! Nice write up and a great effort.

Over time, the story of that cat will evolve, and by the time you're telling it to your grandkids it'll be about "the time you: almost got et by a giant mountain lion saving your buddy's ass, so he could shoot a bull elk".

01-Oct-19
Thoroughly enjoyed the entire story. It's way more about the hunt than the kill. Betting you will never dismiss an over hanging tree branch again either! Thanks for taking the time and sharing everything with us. Good luck chasing deer, Jeff.

01-Oct-19
Good stuff buddy! Thanks for taking the time

01-Oct-19
Nice write up, Scott...very cool adventure!

01-Oct-19
Great story and pics, Scott. Thanks for taking us along!

Think you'd ever do that early hunt down there again? Was that abnormally high temps for that time of year? That heat would suck!

01-Oct-19
Great story Scoot! Time to get back home and start taking pics and telling stories about you and your boys' exploits! Love that kids smile....

01-Oct-19
Being a flat lander and a flat lander with 2 young kids, 4.5 and 1.5, I really appreciate the time I get out west in the mountains. White tail hunting around home right now is almost non-existent due to lack of time or more accurately a lack of priority in my life right now. All that to say thank you to Scoot and Carl for another great trip into the wild.

Scoot, thanks for the praise you knew damn well I was going to hunt with you until the end, whenever that came. As you have done in the past and I know would do again in the future for me.

01-Oct-19
Great story and pics. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. It's always disappointing when you don't get an elk, but you guys went 1 for two, hunted hard, had a bunch of encounters,sounds like a great trip to me. Crazy and scary story about the lion.

01-Oct-19
Nice write up, thanks for taking the time to share it.

01-Oct-19
Great write up as always. Thanks for sharing.

Good luck with the rest of the fall

01-Oct-19
Great read, Scoot! Knowing how close you were with your mom, I’ll bet that you had a smile on your face when you woke up. She was definitely watching over you!

02-Oct-19
That was way better than any t.v. show! Thanks for keeping it real and giving us lots of pics! Good luck on the rest of your seasons.

02-Oct-19
Congrats on making some great memories! Thanks for taking us along!

02-Oct-19
Good for ya!

Thanks for sharing

Good luck, Robb

02-Oct-19
Great story fellas, thanks for sharing!

02-Oct-19
Good stuff Scoot! Congrats on great bull Jon! No challenge in life is too great and no shortcoming is taken too hard when you have good buddies by your side to support you. Good luck to you and Ryan this fall! Taking my boy on his first muley hunt this weekend. Hopefully we're trading hero texts! Thanks for sharing!

02-Oct-19

03-Oct-19
great story! what an adventure!

03-Oct-19
You guys did good. Loved that lion part. Great pics and story. A nice bull to top it off. Next time Scoot!

07-Oct-19
Another great story Scoot. Always appreciated the time taken to recap your hunts. I know how much work goes into them.

07-Oct-19
Great story! Great hunt!

07-Oct-19
Another great story Scoot. Always appreciated the time taken to recap your hunts. I know how much work goes into them.

07-Oct-19
Dang missed this one until now. Good luck with the rest of this fall. Good recap to read!!

11-Oct-19
Scott, great adventure all around. Even opening a can of "Minnesota Whoop Azz" on a kitty like that wouldn't turn out to good. :) Thanks for the write up.

11-Oct-19
Keep up the good fight great story great pics.

12-Oct-19
Excellent write up! Looks like a great trip!

14-Oct-19
Thanks for sharing Scoot and company. Read your posts on other Mn forums over the years as they happened. Thinking I will try and write up a little something on our NM hunt when fall slows down. Congrats!

14-Oct-19
I enjoyed that story, thanks!

14-Oct-19
Well it took me a while to move onto bigger and better things.. I’ll do my best when the write up time comes, although it won’t be up there with the best storytellers. But it’ll be the best I got!

15-Oct-19
Great story and great work on the mountain! Congrats on a great bull as well!!

• Sitka Gear