Elite 1 11-Oct-19
sdkhunter 12-Oct-19
Walleyehunter02 14-Oct-19
Scoot 14-Oct-19
Jeff Holchin 14-Oct-19
Walleyehunter02 14-Oct-19
Scar Finga 15-Oct-19
30-Sep-19
It's the last day of September and the natives appear to be quite restless here on Bowsite! Seems like it's time for a "Scoot story". Below is story about Jon and my early season elk hunt in NM. I hope you enjoy!

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Jon and I drew the same NM unit as last year, except our hunt was the early hunt (Sep. 1-14) this time, rather than the late hunt we drew last year (Sep. 15-24). I was dialed in and shooting great before we left. Four days before we were planning on leaving I loaded my final arrow into my quiver. I was distracted for a second and somehow managed to miss the hood with the broadhead and I stupidly pushed it forward into the cable, cutting about ¾ of the cable. I’ve never done anything like this before and I immediately knew I was in trouble. Nobody local carries cables for my bow and they’d have to be ordered in. I got on the phone with several places and was pretty much told I was screwed. Finally, Archery Country, in St. Cloud, MN said they could rush order in a set of cables and have me up and running over the weekend. St. Cloud is a long ways from where I live, but I was going past there while on the way to a football game with my family, so it worked out great. John at Archery Country was very knowledgeable and gave me excellent customer service. I’m not affiliated with them in any way, shape, or form (I had never heard of them before this debacle), but I want to put a plug in for them given how great they treated me.

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
We had two areas dialed in, based on e-scouting and, more importantly, last year's trip. The area we planned to hit "down south" required us to bivy into, while the area "up north" would be easily accessed via truck camping. Jon and I are pretty well dialed in with our bivy gear, as you can see in the pics.

30-Sep-19
By the afternoon of the 3rd we couldn’t take it anymore and we both left work and headed south. We pushed hard and got the 24 hour drive behind us in short order, pulling into our campsite a little after sundown on the 4th. Carl (smarba) scouted the "down south" area for us the day before we got there and it was bone dry- no water anywhere, so we went north. We met our buddy Carl at camp that night. Carl, unfortunately for him, didn’t pull any NM elk tags this year, so we were lucky to have him join us in elk camp for a while again. We slept fast and headed out to an area we hunted last year and that Carl had some trailcam pics of a good amount of elk and some decent bulls.

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Dumping the first load of water into the wallow.
Scoot's embedded Photo
Dumping the first load of water into the wallow.
Day 1 The day started me going to Septic Tank. The wallow that was pretty close was bone dry, but Carl and Jon loaded up drybags with water from the tank and freshened up the wallow, in hopes it would pull a bull in. We were greeted by a beautiful sunrise and morning. However, the morning was quiet and we didn’t see or hear an elk that morning.

In the late morning we made a couple trips carrying water from the tank to the wallow. By the time we were done, the wallow looked like a semi-respectable, usable mud hole for a bull to flop around and do his thing.

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
By mid-afternoon I was back in the stand and getting sleepy. I don’t sleep in treestands and decided I needed to get down and take a little siesta. I think I dozed off and slept for about half-an-hour. As I was waking up and trying to get my post-nap wits about me I caught movement to my right. Two sets of cows/calves came into the tank at 3:10. Eventually they caught my wind and cautiously left the tank.

30-Sep-19
Looking forward to this story....

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
I saw lots of life around the water, including another group of cows and calves. However, the wind was very shifty and a number of elk smelled me and didn’t come into the tank. They came from directly behind me and I couldn’t see them, but I could hear them walk in and at about 30 or 40 yards they’d stop, spin a 180, and bail.

Jon and Carl got blanked the entire day while sitting the wallow. Even worse, Jon wasn’t feeling very good at all. His stomach was giving him all kinds of problems and it was a long day for him. He tried to stay hydrated, but couldn’t eat anything at all. Not a good start to the trip for him.

That night I made one thing clear—in spite of Carl’s intel that Septic Tank was getting hit a ton, I wasn’t going to be sitting for that long again. No way, no how! I can sit in a treestand for whitetails all fall at home and although I love doing that, I don’t care to hunt elk that way. It’s just not that fun for me. I don’t begrudge or judge those who choose to hunt that way, but I prefer to keep sitting for an elk to a relative minimum.

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
The water hole was teaming with tadpoles.
Scoot's embedded Photo
The water hole was teaming with tadpoles.
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Maybe my favorite pic from the trip.
Scoot's embedded Photo
Maybe my favorite pic from the trip.

30-Sep-19
Enjoying it so far. Keep it coming.

30-Sep-19
Thanks guys! It should be a fun ride! I can assure you it will include some of the highs and lows that come with elk hunting. It will also include a heart stopping encounter that happened in the black of night! It was a fun, tough, hard working trip that left me about 10 lbs. lighter than when I left home. More to come...

30-Sep-19
I don't see anything wrong with your bow? That kind of cam lean is pretty standard on that model! Ha! Looking forward to the story Scott!

30-Sep-19
Haha, yes Justin- looks good to me too! I'm actually lucky I didn't cut all the way through the cable or I'd have been looking at replacing bows, not just a cable.

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Tough to read in the grainy, distorted way pics show up on bowsite, but the message is "Bull Down!!!"
Scoot's embedded Photo
Tough to read in the grainy, distorted way pics show up on bowsite, but the message is "Bull Down!!!"
Jon chose to sit Septic Tank while Carl and I took off to chase bugles. There was a bull bugling a few hundred yards away from the tank when we left Jon, so we got out of there quickly in hopes of Jon having him come in to water right away. Once we got away from the tank, all was quiet. We put on a few miles and tried to track down a bull willing to play ball with us. Around 8:00 Carl suggested we check the satellite phones and we promptly saw the message above. We were on our way back to Septic Tank to get going on some pictures and get to work. Awesome!

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Jon’s story goes like this… around 6:50 he heard footsteps behind him. Soon a nice 6x5 came into the tank from his left side. He was a little twitchy and acted like he knew something wasn’t quite right, but he finally put his head down to drink and Jon was quickly at full draw with a nice bull standing broadside at 24 yards. Zip! In the blink of an eye, Jon was tagged out on the morning of Day 2.

After some hero shots, we went to work. As many of you know, this is hard work taking care of an elk, but the three of us got it done in reasonably short order. We hauled a load out to the truck and then I went to the tank to sit for the evening and Jon and Carl hauled the final load back to the truck. Once again, I had a quiet night at Septic Tank.

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Fitting pic- Carl has a big heart!
Scoot's embedded Photo
Fitting pic- Carl has a big heart!
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Elk hunting rocks!!!
Scoot's embedded Photo
Elk hunting rocks!!!
Scoot's embedded Photo
This was actually the tail of a dead cow! Carl stuffed it under the back of my hat for pics. It was pretty dang gross, but I went with it! Haha!
Scoot's embedded Photo
This was actually the tail of a dead cow! Carl stuffed it under the back of my hat for pics. It was pretty dang gross, but I went with it! Haha!
Heavy loads back to the truck!

30-Sep-19
I LOVED Scoot's new look. Makes him look 10 years younger with that long ponytail flowing in the wind LOL

30-Sep-19
Scoot.... so one post says you guys were hauling water and then the following pic shows elk standing knee deep...

I literally said out loud "what the f#%k !! How much water did they haul!?!?!

Lmao!

30-Sep-19
You look like you are auditioning for "Joe Dirt 2". LOL!

30-Sep-19
Fuzz, I figured we hauled about 5000 gallons! Ha! We hauled water Septic tank (where the pic of the elk in the water was taken) to the dry wallow (the pic above the first pic of an elk in the water). Honestly, it was pretty amazing how much weight we carried in water and how little water we actually dumped into the wallow. Turns out that stuff is heavy! Haha

30-Sep-19
Z, you know me well enough to probably conclude that would be just about perfect for me! Actually that role may be a little too high-brow for me...

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
We started the morning at Septic Tank again (the trailcam pics told us we should stick it out there), but I couldn’t take it more than an hour and after that I pulled us all out of there and we went looking for talking bulls. We heard a couple bugles, but it was generally quiet. We humped it in back to camp and took a little break. It was hot—New Mexico hot, and that’s tough on this MN boy. Most days of the trip the high temp was around 85 degrees and some were closer to 90. On the few days we were in camp mid-day, we’d stay in the shade and relax a bit, then we’d head out to our evening spot in the sweltering heat and skin-burning sun. Man it was hot (did I mention that yet?) The early season, heat, and maybe the full moon (if you believe in that) didn’t seem to help our cause and the bulls just weren’t very fired up at all.

We hiked into to Douglas Tank that evening. We got an afternoon shower on the hike, which got us pretty wet, but didn’t dampen our spirits or slow us down. That evening three cows and three calves came into the tank, but no bulls. Carl had climbed an adjacent hillside to keep an eye out for bulls or to signal us that we would need to bail out of there and chase something that wasn't coming to the water.

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
A picture of Carl taking pictures!
Scoot's embedded Photo
A picture of Carl taking pictures!
Eventually the elk shook off, and all left the tank and wandered up towards Carl. The lead cow ended up about 15 yards away from him. In the bottom two pics above you can see them headed up the hill and Carl towards the top of the hill, above them.

30-Sep-19

Z Barebow's Link
Following. Hot?

30-Sep-19
I'm truly impressed. Filling up a mudhole with your drinking water to make a wallow is truly next level thinking Scoot.

30-Sep-19
Haha, thanks elkstabber, but I have to admit that most of my thinking is basement level!

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Day 4 We hunted Douglas Bowl the next morning. Although we saw some elk and heard a few bugles, there wasn’t much in way of rutting action happening. The cows we saw were only with calves and we didn’t see any bulls with any cows.

After the morning hunt Carl had to head for home. I know I said this before, but Carl is an absolutely fantastic guy to hunt with and share a camp with. Jon and I both enjoy his company a ton and we had a blast with him. We also greatly appreciated his help on this trip. He put up a couple cameras for us before the trip and he also helped pack out Jon’s bull. On top of that, Carl is a beast! He flat out whoops these two flatlanders to and from everywhere we go. He typically leads and he’s a great navigator in the mountains, which is an important skill set (and one that I’m not great at). Finally, Carl has razor sharp eyes. On this trip he found three indian arrow heads, a calf rope, a horse shoe, over half-a-dozen sheds, and Jon’s lost quiver (with five arrows and broadheads) from last year (some pictured above)! Being the good guy he is, he even took Jon’s elk head and cleaned/boiled it so we could legally transport it back home. What a great guy! We had a great time with Carl and were sad to see him go, but we knew we’d be seeing him again before long, one way or another.

30-Sep-19
Speaking of next level thinking, I sat high on a steep hill perhaps 200 yards from the waterhole that Scott & Jon napped at so I could glass the area. I signaled to them that elk were coming, but it was only cows and calves. As Scott mentioned, after they drank and cavorted they proceeded to feed and climbed directly to me, the nearest came within perhaps 12 yards before an errant breeze sent them marching off on alert.

So apparently next-level thinking is to sit far, far, far away from a waterhole to get the closest encounter with an elk?! Who would have thunk?

If you recall last year I managed to skewer my first bear the first day I linked up with Scott and Jon. This year I had tags for bear, lion and turkey so I carried my bow most of the time in case we crossed paths with something besides elk. The day prior to me meeting Scott & Jon I did see 2 different bears but both were quite small and I didn't have any desire to go after them.

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Bears? There aren't any bears around that area, are there???

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Other critters too...
Scoot's embedded Photo
Other critters too...

30-Sep-19
I've been patiently waiting for this story!

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Jon and I stayed in the Douglas Bowl that evening. Although there was some bugling that evening, we never did get on a bull and made the long walk back to the truck without getting a crack at anything.

Have I mentioned how cool the terrain is in NM? It's so diverse and totally different than MN. I love it!

30-Sep-19
Keep it coming. Great job so far!

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Just saw one snake this trip. This little guy, which I believe is harmless? Lots of little critters around...

30-Sep-19
Day 5 We tried the east ridges the next morning. There was a fair bit of bugling this morning and it seemed like things were going in the right direction, in terms of rutting action. However, much like last year, anytime we got within striking distance of a bull (which we almost, but didn’t quite accomplish this morning) the bull would either slink away, or it would simply shut up. We heard plenty of bugles, but never once laid eyes on a bull. It was frustrating, but a definite part of the elk hunting. We knew we were close to putting it together, but we were just off by a little bit. I felt confident it would happen.

It was “hotter than a bisquit” (to borrow an expression from my brother) once again that afternoon. Since we were in the general vicinity of Septic Tank, we decided to head back there for the afternoon/evening. The wind was perfect, but unfortunately we didn’t hear or see an elk that evening. Still, Jon and I had a great evening on the mountain. No opportunities for me yet, but we were elk hunting in New Mexico in a place that could produce a big bull at anytime and I fully expected it to happen soon. On top of that, the scenery was wonderful and very different than anything we have at home. From pines and alligator junipers to a variety of different cacti and the juxtaposed bone dry and lifeless pieces of the land versus all the animals and plants that make the desert-like land fertile and full of life. This is not to mention the cuts, folds, basins, and ridges that form the elk mountains, we were in a whole different world from home and loving every minute of it.

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
For four days in a row we were greeted with a scene similar to the one we took a pic of on this day. Clouds would form to the SW and roll over us, dropping light to fairly significant rain for an hour or two. At least this helped to temporarily cool things off for a bit!

30-Sep-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Stupid photos get rotated and won't allow me to fix it. Frustrating! Oh well- turn your head to the left to view this one! Haha
Scoot's embedded Photo
Stupid photos get rotated and won't allow me to fix it. Frustrating! Oh well- turn your head to the left to view this one! Haha
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Day 6 We started at the east ridges again, but much to our surprise it was dead quiet. We then went to an area north of Septic Tank where we’d heard some bugling earlier in the trip. I ended up about 50 yards from a decent 6x5, but unfortunately I saw him at the same time he saw me and I didn’t get a chance at all. That was really it for the morning- bugling was unimpressive to say the least.

That day we decided to hunt a different area in the evening. Therefore, we ended up in camp for a bit over lunch time (not typical for us). I dozed off for about an hour nap. While sleeping I had a dream about my mom. I hadn’t dreamt about her in a while. She was peaking around a corner watching me. I saw her and went over to talk to her. She let me know she was keeping an eye on me and watching out for me while on the hunt. I woke up with a smile on my face and had high expectations for the evening.

On the walk out to the area we were going to hunt that evening we sweated through the 85 degree heat. We walked down a dry stream bed that eventually turned into a box canyon. Jon made the comment that box canyons like we were in are only good for two things: Indians ambushing their enemy and mountain lions crabbing a meal. I laughed. We soon came around a corner and saw an oak tree that was overhanging the opening in front of us. Jon immediately stopped and said “I don’t like that.” He commented on the fresh leaves and branches below the tree and said “Something has been making an ambush spot in that tree.” I laughed at his paranoia and kept walking. When we walked under the tree a small critter scurried around on the tree above us and it freaked Jon out. I had a good laugh at his expense over that one.

We hunted a different area that evening and in short, we had two bulls bugling a few hundred yards away, but we couldn’t manage to get any closer.

30-Sep-19
Scott’s distraction when he had his bow issue was me on the phone trying to finalize some details for the trip. I heard some choice words followed by him saying a short bye. Not sure I’ve ever heard someone quite so mad.....I gave him a few hours to cool off and hopefully find a solution.

30-Sep-19
Scoot was quite generous on how bad I was feeling day 1. On our last phone calls home before the trip I got the great news that my 1.5 year old had puked all night and my 4.5 year old had puked all day.....I didn’t get the puking part of it, but it wasn’t much fun running for a log/rock every dang hour. It took until sometime on day 4 for me to start feeling back to normal. Especially considering we packed what felt like a metric ton water on day 1, and then packed a bull out in the heat day 2.

30-Sep-19
I’d just like to say I don’t think there is a more positive person on any mountain hunting than Smarba. He keeps your spirits uplifted no matter the situation. Heck he was so positive that it carried over for us into the rest of our hunt. Thank you sir for sharing camp with us again, I can’t wait to do it again.

30-Sep-19
If you had been wearing a flat brim hat, I think you could have pulled that look off, scoot!

Congrats to Jon on his bull! Looking forward to the rest of the story as well!

01-Oct-19
Congrats on the first Bull fellas! Here’s hoping number two took a dirt nap as well!

01-Oct-19
Looking good! Great bull, love those 5x5s

Fun to see bowsiters meet up and hunt together. Looking forward to the rest. Thanks guys!

01-Oct-19
In defense of Jon (gunnar) distracting me, I also had a beer in my other hand! Beer in one hand, phone in the other, bow in a 3rd hand, and apparently arrow/broadhead in a 4th! Haha, it didn't work out too well!

01-Oct-19
That night on the walk back we again walked through the box canyon. When we came to “Jon’s tree” in the box canyon we stopped and shined our headlamps into it. We stared for at least two full seconds and just as I was about to turn to Jon to tell him he was a weenie, a very large mountain lion plunged out of the tree, hit the dry stream bed, and tore off at mach 5 the other direction! It pounded the sand and rocks so hard running away from us that it sounded like a horse galloping away. We stood there in complete disbelief. At that point I quit making fun of Jon about being paranoid! I can only imagine two scenarios might have played out if we hadn’t stopped and shined our headlamps into that tree: 1) we would have strolled right under that cat and been none the wiser, or 2) we would have walked under it only to have quite a shock when it came down on top of one of us. Either way, I thought back to my dream and definitely believed that my mom was looking out for us!

01-Oct-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Pic of Jon just before we saw the oak tree that leaned over the box canyon.
Scoot's embedded Photo
Pic of Jon just before we saw the oak tree that leaned over the box canyon.
Scoot's embedded Photo
Not a great pic, but here's the tree. The cat was perched in the thick, bushy spot of the leaning tree right over the middle of the dry creek bed.
Scoot's embedded Photo
Not a great pic, but here's the tree. The cat was perched in the thick, bushy spot of the leaning tree right over the middle of the dry creek bed.
Scoot's embedded Photo
Hard to see in the pic, but here is a print from the cat in the dry sand/gravel of the stream bed.
Scoot's embedded Photo
Hard to see in the pic, but here is a print from the cat in the dry sand/gravel of the stream bed.

01-Oct-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Some random pics.

01-Oct-19

01-Oct-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo

01-Oct-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo

01-Oct-19
You can see in the pics below that nothing goes to waste in the New Mexican desert! Remarkable system of recycling that the crows, buzzards, coyotes, and other little critters displayed.

01-Oct-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Here's Jon's bull less than 48 hours after he shot it.
Scoot's embedded Photo
Here's Jon's bull less than 48 hours after he shot it.

01-Oct-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo

01-Oct-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo

01-Oct-19
Day 7 We started back in the area North of Septic Tank. Very early on we heard a couple bulls bugling back in a thick, nasty series of bowls we were in last year. We followed, and followed, and followed. One bull went quiet, but the other bugled enough for us to dog him for another mile or more. He finally held up on a little knob in the middle of a bowl. We moved in and knew were getting close. I spotted a tree and decided I’d sneak up to it and try a calling set—I motioned to Jon the plan. About two steps short of the tree all hell broke loose! Cows must have been bedded closer to us than the bull was and I had either been seen, or more likely, they caught a little whiff of me. I looked back at Jon just as the bull bugled- he was probably only 60-75 yards away. Jon immediately cut him off with a sledge hammer of a screaming bugle! He screamed back, but unfortunately his cows were thundering past him and he turned and ran with them, instead of charging in to fight the interloper. We chased him for a bit, but he never turned around. We followed him all the way to the edge of our unit, and he eventually ran into the neighboring unit and left us with a long walk back to the truck.

We sat a new water tank that evening and other than cattle, didn’t see a thing.

01-Oct-19
Hunting elk is aging you. You look beat down and old! (Maybe too much sun?) Buzzards looking for another meal? LOL!

01-Oct-19
I missed this thread yesterday, but NOT TODAY! Great so far bud - keep at it! Holy mackinaw that cat deal is a scare! Crazy that Jon essentially predicted it. I feel like I never would have foresaw something like that.

01-Oct-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Z, you're not kidding! Not only did this trip age me, but life seems to be doing a fine job of that too! The sun seriously whooped my arse! This pic paints a thousand words as far as how hard we pushed and how much the dry, hot conditions took a tole on me.

01-Oct-19
Adam, I wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't there. I swear it is 100% true, regardless of how ridiculous it sounds to predict the exact tree from which a mountain lion would try to pounce on you!

01-Oct-19
Good thing you guys smelled so bad Scoot, otherwise that cat might have been interested in dinner! :-) Great story telling and pics!

01-Oct-19
Thanks for bringing me along... enjoyable!!

01-Oct-19
Glad you guys are having so much of an adventure. Sounds exciting, and worth the element of risk with the cats around. Stay safe!

01-Oct-19
Great thread and story telling! Thanks for sharing!

01-Oct-19
Day 8

We went back to the same tank in the AM because we were told by a local that it was a great morning spot. Unfortunately, it wasn’t a great morning spot that day! All quiet once again.

We were getting physically worn down and dealing with the heat made it tough in several ways. I don’t like sitting water at all when I elk hunt! However, it was clear that we could not put on many miles in the 85+ degree heat in the middle of the day. Also, with the bugling action being sporadic in the morning (some days ok, but most days pretty non-existent) and almost completely quiet in the afternoon/evening, it was pretty obvious that if I wanted to shoot an elk I’d probably have to do it at a tank. I didn’t like that at all, but I bit the bullet and sat more water than I cared to. I was sure it would pay off eventually.

That evening we went back to Douglas Tank. In short, all was quiet and we didn’t hear or see a thing.

01-Oct-19

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Day 9- Last Day

We listened to a bull bugle and chuckle all night a few hundred yards from camp. He had an interesting bugle- it almost sounded fake. His chuckles, in particular, had the sounds of a greenhorn trying to learn to chuckle, as they were very mechanical and identical each time. But, since it went from about 11:00 PM to 5:00 AM, I’m pretty sure it was a real elk! He bugled and chuckled in the light of the moon close to camp- it was like he was mocking us!

We headed back to the Douglas Bowl for our final morning. We heard bugles early and headed after them. Unfortunately, the two bulls bugling were straight downhill and downwind from us and there was no good way to hook around them. We waited for the wind to change or them to reposition. Soon they were going up the steep sidehill across the bowl (not where we expected them to go). The chase was on and we started climbing the steep sidehill, up towards the quickly departing bugles. After half-an-hour we finally cut the distance. We topped over the ridge and two bulls quickly and very politely each let out a bugle to let us know where they were. The one near the top of the ridge we were on wasn’t far ahead- maybe less than 200 yards. We moved up about 100 yards and we started to drop into a little saddle on the top of the ridge. Jon got ready with his bugle and we both slinked ahead. After only 20 more yards the bull started to bugle and Jon tore him a new one with a bugle of his own, cutting him off in the process. The response wasn’t exactly ideal… there were apparently cows much closer to us and they immediately tore off at break neck speed! The bull hung down low for a minute, but soon the nice six point followed the fleeing cows off over the next ridge. Damn!

With that, we tucked tail and headed back to the truck. Unfortunately, this was the walk of shame for me- we were done with our hunt and my tag, my very good NM elk tag, was to be unpunched. I take no shame in our effort and I felt pretty good about our decision making. Given that those two things, along with preparation, are about all you can really control when hunting, we had done all we really could have to get me a bull. But… it just didn’t happen this time for me. I was bummed, but pleased with the effort.

Speaking of effort, Jon had been there along side of me the whole time busting his hump trying to get me a crack at a bull. After tagging out early, he never once slowed down or took it easy- he wanted me to tag out just as badly as I wanted to. He’s a great hunting partner and a great friend and, as I always do, I really enjoyed my time on the mountain with him. He and I generally don’t communicate very effectively with each other. However, when calling on this trip we clicked in a way we never had before and I felt like we were really on the same page virtually all of the time. That was fun and is the result of a lot of time hunting and talking about hunting together.

That’s the story of our 2019 NM elk hunt. We went 1 for 2 with a nice 6x5 to show for it. I’m still super happy for Jon and I’m still struggling with my complete failure to get in a place to shoot a decent bull. But, that’s exactly what happened. New Mexico served me a big ol’ slice of humble pie and now I’ve got to eat it. I’ll have until next September to chew on it. Thanks for following along!

01-Oct-19
Scoot- All kidding aside. Your stories are ALWAYS top notch. You did not disappoint! Thanks for taking the time to put the recap together. (We will have to get together again this winter for a beverage and share stories!) Take care.

01-Oct-19
Well Scott, I waited until the end to read all of this and I surely appreciate you telling the story about the hunt. Elk are special as are the hunters who hunt them and successful or not, the story NEVER ends. Yep, next September is not too far way. Well done. My best, Paul

01-Oct-19
Very nice write up Scoot. Feel for you that it didn't come together and probably of little consolation to you that I say 'you tried hard', but from the sounds of it, you enjoyed it immensely. Appreciate you taking the time to write it for us.

01-Oct-19
Well Scoot, any hunt like this I feel like you have to take group statistics into account. As a group you went 1/2, or 50%. Well above average. it's too bad you weren't able to notch your tag, but you were successful in your story telling! Thanks for putting in the effort. Congrats on the bull for Jon!

01-Oct-19
Hell of a write up Scoot! Enjoyed the pics and the story. Sometimes that is just the way it goes and to me that is why we bowhunt!

01-Oct-19
Well done gentlemen! Nice write up and a great effort.

Over time, the story of that cat will evolve, and by the time you're telling it to your grandkids it'll be about "the time you: almost got et by a giant mountain lion saving your buddy's ass, so he could shoot a bull elk".

01-Oct-19
"Sometimes that is just the way it goes and to me that is why we bowhunt!"

Beav, I totally agree and I don't care to have a "fish in a barrel experience". I love to put in the effort and time and I know that I'll be rewarded through good hard effort most of the time. The experience in the mountains with my buddy chasing elk was a huge reward and I'm definitely blessed to have been able to make this trip (again). I believe every word of that, but speaking out of the other side of my mouth, damn I hate tag soup! :)

Ace, I've already told my wife, kids, and friends that exact version!!! Haha!

01-Oct-19
Thoroughly enjoyed the entire story. It's way more about the hunt than the kill. Betting you will never dismiss an over hanging tree branch again either! Thanks for taking the time and sharing everything with us. Good luck chasing deer, Jeff.

01-Oct-19
Good stuff buddy! Thanks for taking the time

01-Oct-19
Nice write up, Scott...very cool adventure!

01-Oct-19
Great story and pics, Scott. Thanks for taking us along!

Think you'd ever do that early hunt down there again? Was that abnormally high temps for that time of year? That heat would suck!

01-Oct-19
Great story Scoot! Time to get back home and start taking pics and telling stories about you and your boys' exploits! Love that kids smile....

01-Oct-19
Being a flat lander and a flat lander with 2 young kids, 4.5 and 1.5, I really appreciate the time I get out west in the mountains. White tail hunting around home right now is almost non-existent due to lack of time or more accurately a lack of priority in my life right now. All that to say thank you to Scoot and Carl for another great trip into the wild.

Scoot, thanks for the praise you knew damn well I was going to hunt with you until the end, whenever that came. As you have done in the past and I know would do again in the future for me.

01-Oct-19
Midwest, if I was more patient and didn't mind sitting for elk I would. For the next decade I don't think I want to.

01-Oct-19
Ki ke, I'm working on it! Whitetails this past weekend with him and we're chasing muleys this coming weekend.

01-Oct-19
Jon, you bet buddy! I can't wait until I can do it again too! I knew you would, but you DID, and I'm as appreciative as you have been in the past (i.e., a lot)!

01-Oct-19
Great story and pics. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. It's always disappointing when you don't get an elk, but you guys went 1 for two, hunted hard, had a bunch of encounters,sounds like a great trip to me. Crazy and scary story about the lion.

01-Oct-19
Nice write up, thanks for taking the time to share it.

01-Oct-19
Great write up as always. Thanks for sharing.

Good luck with the rest of the fall

01-Oct-19
Great read, Scoot! Knowing how close you were with your mom, I’ll bet that you had a smile on your face when you woke up. She was definitely watching over you!

02-Oct-19
That was way better than any t.v. show! Thanks for keeping it real and giving us lots of pics! Good luck on the rest of your seasons.

02-Oct-19
Congrats on making some great memories! Thanks for taking us along!

02-Oct-19
Good for ya!

Thanks for sharing

Good luck, Robb

02-Oct-19
Great story fellas, thanks for sharing!

02-Oct-19
Good stuff Scoot! Congrats on great bull Jon! No challenge in life is too great and no shortcoming is taken too hard when you have good buddies by your side to support you. Good luck to you and Ryan this fall! Taking my boy on his first muley hunt this weekend. Hopefully we're trading hero texts! Thanks for sharing!

02-Oct-19
Thanks guys I appreciate all the kind words! Justin, good luck to you and your son this weekend. Let's definitely swap reports.

02-Oct-19

03-Oct-19
great story! what an adventure!

03-Oct-19
You guys did good. Loved that lion part. Great pics and story. A nice bull to top it off. Next time Scoot!

07-Oct-19
Another great story Scoot. Always appreciated the time taken to recap your hunts. I know how much work goes into them.

07-Oct-19
Great story! Great hunt!

07-Oct-19
Another great story Scoot. Always appreciated the time taken to recap your hunts. I know how much work goes into them.

07-Oct-19
Dang missed this one until now. Good luck with the rest of this fall. Good recap to read!!

11-Oct-19
Scott, great adventure all around. Even opening a can of "Minnesota Whoop Azz" on a kitty like that wouldn't turn out to good. :) Thanks for the write up.

11-Oct-19
Wow- a DonBo sighting on bowsite! I hope you come around a little more, Don.

Inshart, I think there would have been whoop azz, but not in the direction I'd like!

Thanks guys!

11-Oct-19
Keep up the good fight great story great pics.

12-Oct-19
Excellent write up! Looks like a great trip!

14-Oct-19
Thanks for sharing Scoot and company. Read your posts on other Mn forums over the years as they happened. Thinking I will try and write up a little something on our NM hunt when fall slows down. Congrats!

14-Oct-19
Another ol' FMer shows up! Brad I look forward to your write up!

14-Oct-19
I enjoyed that story, thanks!

14-Oct-19
Well it took me a while to move onto bigger and better things.. I’ll do my best when the write up time comes, although it won’t be up there with the best storytellers. But it’ll be the best I got!

15-Oct-19
Great story and great work on the mountain! Congrats on a great bull as well!!

• Sitka Gear