cnelk 02-Oct-19
Scrappy 02-Oct-19
Scott in Camo 08-Oct-19
jordanathome 08-Oct-19
kota-man 09-Oct-19
Habitat 09-Oct-19
Stoneman 09-Oct-19
01-Oct-19
So another elk season come and gone. Let's hear what did not work up to your standards and will be upgrading for next season. Here are a few items I will be changing;

Camelback trading for Platypus. Not the first time it's leaked.

MSR Pocket Rocket. Not sure on that yet but it just didn't seem to be very fuel efficient this year.

Boots, the Miendls have been great, but I've worn them since 2011. They've lost the waterproofing capabilities, and they are hot. Sometimes my feet feel like they are on fire. Gonna go uninsulated on the next pair.

Rain Gear. I'm done with the cheap stuff and gonna get something good. Just not sure yet.

GPS, my Garmin 60CSX has been great, and works just fine, however too many scratches on the screen have made it difficult and frustrating. Got some homework to do.

And the big ticket item is a pack. I'm done with the Bikini frame and pack. It's a great day pack but I hate the way it hauls heavy loads. Looking hard at the Reckoning.

What's on your list?

01-Oct-19
New pack. Bigger. Extra pair boots. Crispis.

01-Oct-19
A new pack frame.

I was disappointed with my Sitka pants. Ripped two holes in them.

01-Oct-19
Whoa, whoa whoa!! Ain’t over yet in MT....I need more time.

01-Oct-19
Only change I’m making is I’m packing food after supper not before next year!

01-Oct-19
Lol SBH! Go get em!

01-Oct-19
Socks! As funny as that sounds, I need to find some socks with a little bit of cushion at the toes. Either my feet shrunk or something else is happening, but on my hill descents, my big toe in my right foot would jam forward into the toe box. My Crispis’ have been great before this started. Maybe new insoles?? I don’t know. First time that’s happened! :(

01-Oct-19
Have Crispis on the way. Meindl Denali's were causing me some foot issues. Also getting a new sleeping pad. My Neoair has a slow leak and I am pretty sure some mold inside based on the spots I can see. Think I will be sticking with my Hoyt Spyder for another year. Thing shoots...

01-Oct-19
I'm looking at getting a new gps with Inreach.

01-Oct-19
I need a new elk locator....mine failed miserably.

01-Oct-19
I put over 100 miles on my old Danners in September. They are still ok - kinda - but will looking at getting some Crispis. I need more ankle support

I need to get some more Phelps ‘Amp’ diaphragm calls too.

01-Oct-19

GF's embedded Photo
GF's embedded Photo
I’m thinkin’ these might be due for replacement...

01-Oct-19
I need new raingear.

02-Oct-19
No upgrades planned at this point, but I would like to offer a review of my Kuiu Yukon Gaiters. I wore them for 11 days straight while hunting moose in a giant burn area in Alaska. The burnt and fallen timber was covered with dagger-like branches, and I am sure my pants would have been shredded around the bottom of the legs. I did put one puncture wound through the gaiters and had the top part of the button closure pop off, but I feel like they did save my pants from being wet (from rain/dew) and from being shredded.

Another observation, a 16oz bottle of fuel for my MSR stove burnt for over 3 hours straight on high. I have always carried too much fuel, and when I had an unopened one at the end of the trip I wanted to see what kind of burn time I could get out of it. I lit it on the airstrip while waiting for my ride out and ended up having to put it out to get on the plane over 3 hours later.

02-Oct-19
Daypack. I finally decided I'm too damn old to carry the first load out, without an internal frame pack. I've always got the meat frame for the next loads.

Currently looking at the Mystery Ranch Mule.

02-Oct-19
Not done yet.

But, I'll be picking up a solar shower, Kuiu gaiters for wet mornings, more Darn Tough socks (they're great).

02-Oct-19
New boots, looking hard at Crispi Wyoming. Otherwise my gear was excellent this year. Really liked the Inreach Mini. Best investment I've made in awhile.

02-Oct-19
I will be upgrading to a trophy unit to hunt next year.

I also helped pack out a monster bull with 2 guys who both had e-bikes this year. They had no problems hauling full bone-in quarters over moderate terrain on those things. The e-bikes saved a ton of time and effort. The experience really changed my opinion of them, and now I'm in the market for one.

Matt

02-Oct-19
Socks, I destroy them. I will get some Darn Tough soon, and test them through the winter.

02-Oct-19
New stove. My jet boil crapped out. Luckily my buddy had one too that I could use.

New rain gear. Have already ordered the jacket. My stuff is ok in a short shower, but sustained rain, it will not hold up.

New elk unit. Think I’m done with CO OTC. Tired of the people. I’m not good enough to hunt pressured elk

02-Oct-19
I'm upgrading to a different state that isn't choked with deadfall, which in turn compressed the hunters into smaller and smaller areas. Don't care what it costs to get tags. They aren't going to sprinkle my leftover money on my coffin when I croak.

02-Oct-19
FIRST AID KIT, my dad’s knife slipped while we were skinning his bull, inside of his thigh above the knee, 1/2” deep. Was a scary situation as he bled really bad right away. My first thought was he got his femoral artery, thank god he didn’t. Got out my first aid kit that’s been in the bottom of my pack for probably 10 years, it had nothing in it to help stop such bleeding. Luckily my dads kit had what we needed. I know it’s my own fault for not making sure I was prepared but also had the mentality that it wouldn’t happen to us. We’ve cut up many animals, but no matter how much experience a guy has all it takes is a snap of the fingers and could be facing life or death situation. I will also be adding a tourniquet. If any of you guys were like me, I’d highly encourage you to go through your kits and make sure you have everything that you would need for a major injury. I learned my lesson and luckily my dad only ended up with a few stitches and a sore leg.

02-Oct-19
A new lawn chair for the back of the pickup!

02-Oct-19
I got to get a new pack. Mine has finally seen its last season. Want something under 1lb empty and makes 100lbs feel like 10.

02-Oct-19
Let me know when you find it Caz!

02-Oct-19
Does anybody have a brand or type of tourniquet to recommend?

02-Oct-19
"A new lawn chair for the back of the pickup!" LOL

That's a much cheaper option than an e-bike!

02-Oct-19

Wysongdog's embedded Photo
Wysongdog's embedded Photo
As much as I hate to admit. I’m thinking about looking at either that garmin or Burris site with the range finders in the. Hunting alone this year and stalking in. Bulls moving all the time probably cost me a opportunity on a this bull. He wouldn’t stay still long enough to range him and then come to draw. I’m still not certain I’m ok with concept of them tho.

02-Oct-19
CAT (combat application tourniquet). Buy online. Get some "Quick clot" gauze too. Buddy of mine stuck his knife 4-5" into his thigh while working up his elk this year. 40 miles from hardtop road, solo DIY hunt out of state. Lucky he ran into somebody to help him. Helicopter flew him out and cardioverted him multiple times. I seriously upgraded my first aid kit after that.

02-Oct-19
Only thing I would like to change for next year is a new weatherman. I’d like a fall with less rain and snow. Wishful thinking but that is all.

02-Oct-19
I'm with SBH let's what until we are through hunting.

02-Oct-19
Brotsky. I have those boots and they are good. Per reviews I threw away the factory insole and replaced w/green Superfeet. Hunted 14 days in steep ID country w/no blisters. (One toe did get bruised due to steep downhill and toe box beating on it)

A new backcountry tent. More to come on why my old tent no longer is acceptable.

02-Oct-19
^^^^^ I may have heard this story already! ;-)

02-Oct-19
^^^^^ I heard the tent got.... 'drafty' :>)

02-Oct-19
I will be upgrading my first aid kit with a tourniquet and quikclot along with new game bags that will hold bone-in elk quarters. Will also be looking hard at the new BowTech offerings.

My favorite new accessory I used this year was the Bendable bugle tube holder. Such a simple little product that's worth it's weight in gold.

02-Oct-19
Thanks Z, have heard good things about them!

I upgraded my first aid kit this year to include quick clot, and more gauze. I assumed I would get my face ripped off by bear and wanted to be prepared. No real knife threat to me because I never seem to kill anything that requires me to field dress it!

02-Oct-19
I'll be upgrading to OnX or GAIA for next year. Otherwise happy with everything else.

02-Oct-19
"My favorite new accessory I used this year was the Bendable bugle tube holder. Such a simple little product that's worth it's weight in gold."

X2!!

02-Oct-19

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
My favorite new accessory I used this year was the Bendable bugle tube holder. Such a simple little product that's worth it's weight in gold."

I'm cheap I made my own for ten bucks. Just cut an x in the bottom for the tube to slide through.

08-Oct-19
Tgun46 - I've sunk a knife in that very place and it is definitely an intense couple minutes after. A tourniquet stopped the bleeding within 5-10 minutes.

08-Oct-19
I need to replace myself with a competent hunter...........

09-Oct-19
I doubt I 'll buy anything this year... :):):):):) ;)

09-Oct-19
Blood stop kit off amazon,this is what we use on FD and they have everything in it you need for tourniquet

09-Oct-19
Just bought a new 'foodsaver', burned the old one out putting up over 300 lbs of moose.

• Sitka Gear