TREESTANDWOLF 03-Oct-19
BIG BEAR 03-Oct-19
Slate 03-Oct-19
JTV 04-Oct-19
BIG BEAR 04-Oct-19
Woods Walker 04-Oct-19
Bucbuster 06-Oct-19
02-Oct-19
Does anyone have experience with using hunting clothing with activated carbon besides ScentLok or are they the only game in town?

Yes, I hunt according to wind direction forecast & morning/evening thermals. But on those days when wind is calm or variable, I'd like to know if anyone has and reccomends certain brand of carbon activated hunting gear.

02-Oct-19
Buy the clothing based upon the material on the outside and the camo pattern. The "carbon" part is sketchy at best.

I have carbon suits because I like a fleece coverall that I layer under when hunting deer. Nobody seems to make these anymore other than some scent lock type manufacturers.

02-Oct-19
Used to be Scentlok and Scentblocker. Scentlok bought out Scentblocker.

02-Oct-19
The technology has been pretty well debunked. But it’s your money...

02-Oct-19
If memory serves, that technology was disproven in court, which led to false advertising penalties.

02-Oct-19
Never was real but they have some pretty pattens that do a good job. Ah how I yearn for the scentlock in the dryer days. It does not hurt or help

Now if you want to talk about the hecs suits that stifle the brainwaves or electromagnetic field there is something that has a bit more application but they are costly

02-Oct-19
Saying a deer can smell a guy in a carbon suit is almost as dumb as saying a deer can’t smell a guy in a carbon suit, isn't it? I mean, how can anyone predict, with any certainty, whether or not a carbon suit will or will not help under all conditions?

02-Oct-19
John Eberhardt's take on the carbon is interesting. I still don't have any, but he does seem like a guy who does his research.

02-Oct-19
I have used both scentlok and scentblocker. Just like every other scent control product, it's not 100% fool proof. After about 20 years experience with these products, I can attest wholeheartedly that they do make a difference. There have been years where I got lazy and slacked off on the scent control routine and those are years I've had the worst luck. Keep yourself, your clothing and all your equipment clean and scent free. Wear a scent blocking clothing product including a face mask as directed. Spray down everything you can with a scent eliminator before you walk in. Keep your outer layer in a scent free bag and don't put it on until you are at your stand. Only hunt stands that have a favorable wind. Do everything right, every time and you will be more successful. I've found that if I do all these things I have considerably more deer walk downwind without spooking. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and I'll let you know how that turns out.

As for it being disproved in court. what does that ever have to do with reality. You can prove/disprove absolutely anything if you have a better team of lawyers and a favorable judge. What happens in civil court has more to do with talent and money than with right and wrong. Their advertising made it sound like it was 100% effective. If they would have toned it down and used different language, things probably would have turned out different for them. Just my opinion.

02-Oct-19
Gimmick

02-Oct-19
I’d you believe it works, then it’ll work. That being said, it doesn’t work.

02-Oct-19
You're better off buying a wool outfit, with merino wool undergarments. The scent eliminating qualities of wool isn't debatable. Its other qualities, like remaining warm when wet and quiet to the touch, make it the obvious choice to me.

Matt

02-Oct-19
“If you believe it works, then it’ll work.”

What if YOU believe it’ll work, but the deer walking down-wind from you is a skeptic??

ROFL, Bud!

02-Oct-19
I was a big Scent Blocker user back in the day, I say it does work, to some extent... like Ozonic does, to some extent .... carbon can absorb odors, that is fact.. however, it is the "recharging" part where it gets iffy ... Scent Blocker calls it 'ad-sorbing' .... toss the suit in a very hot dryer and the carbon supposedly releases any odors it 'ad-sorbed', the question is does a dryer get hot enough to really do this .... supposedly, to do what they say the carbon must get super hot, as in multiple of hundreds if not thousand degrees... Ive read multiple articles on their theory and the scientific/hospital use of carbon to control odors .. 'supposedly' the hot dryer releases some odors, and recharges some what, leaving enough carbon pores open to re 'ad-sorb' odors again .... It got to be a pain in the ass to constantly toss the clothes in a dryer, so I quit using it ... I killed deer wearing it, I killed some big deer wearing it, I had deer come from down wind and never knew I was there, but I wont attest to that happening from wearing the clothing ..... I do what I can for scent control... notice I said CONTROL and not elimination ... you can reduce your downstream odor to an extent, but never ever 100% ... I play the wind every sit, I'll continue to use the shampoo's, sprays, keep my clothes/boots clean by using Sport Wash, hang them outside when possible, I dont smoke ( I detest cigs,pot, etc. ) ..... I do believe using the wind to your favor is the best defense from a deer's nose ...... and I'll continue to kill deer as I always have

02-Oct-19
Carbon needs to be heated to 1200 degrees to "reactivate". Even if you COULD find a clothes dryer that got that hot (you can't), the clothing would be ashes when you took it out. You got scammed Jeff! ;-)

02-Oct-19

From an article by T.R. Michaels.........

"Bottom line, on this planet, using materials from this planet, and using the laws of science from this planet; it is impossible for your commercial carbon suit to work for you while hunting as you claim. Your carbon suit is fully saturated at time of manufacture, there is no method known to man for your saturated carbon suit to be desorbed, and the only methods known for your saturated carbon suit to be partially desorbed is greater than any temperature reached by any household dryer manufactured. Even if you had access to technical heating equipment to safely bring the temps of your saturated carbon suit above 212degrees F, it is a losing battle as you will have a continual loss in the ability for your suit to be partially desorbed. The highest grade sealed military unit is worthless beyond 1 use, 45 days of being unsealed, or 6 washings. Your commercial suit is worthless the moment it is manufactured."

02-Oct-19
What makes bowhunting fun is that its hard to kill stuff. Not worrying about scent equals more fun.

02-Oct-19
^^^. Using that logic...... If you crapped your pants while hunting it would be a blast !!!! ???? :-)

02-Oct-19
Uh...I think you would crap your pants BECAUSE of the "blast"!!!

03-Oct-19
There are techniques available to increase adsorption of a garment after being on a shelf. They don't involve a dryer though, and I wouldn't believe for a second that it would ever fool an animals nose.

03-Oct-19
I used scent lol and found it to be complete waste of money, they are still going to smell your breath etc!

03-Oct-19
T.R. Michaels....lol.

03-Oct-19
Here is my theory on human scent and stand hunting. You have what I call a "cone" of scent travelling from where you are standing downwind for however many yards it takes it to dissipate, which could be over 1/2 mile. There is nothing you can do to completely eliminate that cone moving downwind and expanding as it goes along do to fickle wind currents. I want to do everything possible to keep that cone as narrow and vague as possible. I've seen it work too many times to not have faith in it. If you stink the deer will smell you sooner as they approach that "cone of scent". The cone is much wider and more alarming. If you are scent free they might actually walk through the scent stream without getting enough of a wiff to get alarmed. That might give you enough extra time to get a shot off before they wind you. I seldom hunt a stand where there is a good chance of a buck walking by downwind. I say seldom because I do have stands where a deer can and will come from absolutely every direction. On those stands I want to be as scent free as I possibly can be. I don't believe that the carbon gets saturated and quits absorbing. I have a set of scentblocker boot inserts that I've never put in the dryer. They are about 5 years old and they still take odors out of my boots. Maybe that's just all in my head as well. I also believe that a maximum positive attitude works about as well. If you are certain that you are going to be successful, you probably will be. I'll do it all over again this year and send you pictures after the hunt.

03-Oct-19
It's a miracle that any hunters actually killed game before the "scent-free" scam started (sarcasm).

In my experience, cover scents are far more effective than any "scent free" voodoo. I know for fact that deer love the smell of Copenhagen Wintergreen chewing tobacco. I've routinely had them walk up to the bush I've been spitting on and lick the branches. ;-)

Matt

03-Oct-19
I bought a ScentLock goretex jacket and think it was well worth it.

I think I paid $10.

I don’t believe in the “carbon technology”

I believe it’s a nice jacket for $10

03-Oct-19

JTV's Link
well, it does have 'some' uses .....The infusion of oxygen makes the charcoal more porous so that it has more surface area with which to absorb bad odors. Activated charcoal neutralizes odors, including pet odor, mold and human waste, and it's much safer than chemical odor neutralizers.Dec 4, 2017 https://www.hunker.com/13420083/how-to-use-activated-charcoal-odor-neutralizers

03-Oct-19
I agree with JSW that anything that reduces your scent will buy you a certain amount of time & distance.

And there is no doubt that confidence and s positive attitude are important to your success....

But mostly, I’ve figured out that the wind rarely behaves as expected...

That’s either a reason take every conceivable scent-control measure, or a reason to pay attention to everything you can and learn whatever tricks you can.... that DON’T come “in a can”...

03-Oct-19
While effectiveness can be debated, the lawsuit was clearly bullshit. It was all because the original add said "100% effective" when that is not the case... thus the lawsuit over technically false advertsing.

But the lawsuit never addressed if the carbon products worked at all, a little or a lot. Ambulance chasers can even be found in the woods!

The lawsuit was covered in better detail years ago here. And as I recall, one of the big anti-carbon guys was looking to market a competing product. Imagine that! Lol

03-Oct-19
Like JTV mentions, my understanding of it is that the activated charcoal has been proven to absorb scents. How often you activate it and exactly what % of your odor that it will absorb is where the question is. I don't think anyone will argue 100%, but I can't think it would hurt.

I used to get all freaky on my scent control, and since went with the idea that I can't fool them anyways, so why bother. Zero scent control, just hunting the wind. Now it's completely anecdotal and observational, but I feel like I got busted more often when giving up on it. So I'm prob working my way to a happy medium.

03-Oct-19
"Forget the wind, just hunt".....perhaps the worst slogan in hunting history.

Matt

03-Oct-19
Yup. It ranks right up there with....."It's like throwing an axe through a deer!"

03-Oct-19
I agree with JSW. I have been using and experimenting with scent control products and carbon clothing since 1985. I was already interested in scent control and how to reduce it when a sales rep walked in my little archery shop and introduced me to Scent Shield. I was a complete skeptic until I started experimenting and trying it. Then when the carbon suits came out I thought it was a gimmick. I had a friend raving about them, I still wasn't convinced, then another friend with lots and lots of big deer on the wall said they work if you used them right. So I tried one and called in a killed my biggest coyote ever and he never winded me. That morning made me start experimenting more.

You can't just throw on a suit and go. There is so, so much more to it. I hunt with a friend occasionally that doesn't have a clue about scent control. I decided to try going without my carbon clothing. I still wore clean clothes and carried them in a plastic tote and put them on in the field. Had a small buck work his way downwind of me and at 40 yds came unglued and was still running 1/2 mile later. When wearing carbon clothing and taking all the same scent control measures, I rarely, rarely have a deer react past 40 yds. Up close on occasion they will get nervous and know something isn't right, but they don't blow out. I have 2 P&Y bucks on the wall I killed that came in downwind and never got me. Didn't plan it that way, bucks go where they want. In the old days that never would have happened.

I go to great lengths to keep body, clothes and boots clean. I never wash my carbon suits and use an old dryer without a sensor on it to "refresh" the carbon. They come out so hot you will get burned on anything metal. I figure I can get about 3-5 seasons out of a set then they are just good camo. I talked at length with Greg Sesselman who invented carbon clothing about decreased performance and heating and washing.

It is like any other tool, don't believe all the marketing hype and use it for what it is worth. It takes a lot of work to be scent free, far more than most guys want to do, but for me it is worth it because I have very few places to hunt.

Isn't it great to live in America and have all these choices?

03-Oct-19
Wind.... thermals... movement.

Pay attention to all 3.

That’s it.

03-Oct-19
I’ve got a pair of ScentBlocker pants with Trinity Technology..... Whatever the Sam hell that means. I think the company that made them went bankrupt.....

03-Oct-19
Still a scam

04-Oct-19

JTV's embedded Photo
*Trinity Technology*
JTV's embedded Photo
*Trinity Technology*

04-Oct-19
Maybe I’ll get a HECS suit. Dudley says they’re the bomb.....Then I’ll be invisible.....:-)

04-Oct-19

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
If It Works For You, Then Go For It!
Woods Walker's embedded Photo
If It Works For You, Then Go For It!

06-Oct-19
My son in law has a set. We were heading out for an afternoon hunt. He started giggling and asked what now?? He farted and just about killed us both...either he has nuclear powered flatulence or the carbon embedded clothing doesn't work...

• Sitka Gear