jdee 04-Oct-19
Flatbow 04-Oct-19
orionsbrother 04-Oct-19
Dirty D 05-Oct-19
Whocares 05-Oct-19
pirogue 06-Oct-19
Ambush 07-Oct-19
03-Oct-19
Replacing a sleeping bag and was wondering what’s recommended for around 30 to say 20 degrees. We were camped at 8500 feet the other night and it got down to 30 and my old bag just doesn’t have it anymore brrrrrr

03-Oct-19
Lol I was wondering same thing I bought my son a 20 degree Ascent and he loves it - I had my 30 degree bag with a liner - I think some of those ranges mean you will stay alive at that temp

03-Oct-19
My go to bag is a 20 degree. Always buy a bag about 10 degrees less that you think the temp will be.

03-Oct-19
Are you looking for a bag to truck camp or backpacking? It will make a big difference on what you buy and spend if keeping weight and size down matters.

03-Oct-19
kuiu makes a great down bag

03-Oct-19
Buy a Kifaru slick bag and have one for the truck and the pack

03-Oct-19
As John stated above it has a lot to do with what you will use it for. I’ll assume backpacking and weight is a large consideration.

I agree Kuiu makes a respectable bag, and very fair prices if you catch a sale.

I really like my old stand by Marmot Helium (15 degree). Great bag, moderate price, good weight and packability.

For the best Western Mountaineering is hard to beat, but a little more spendy. I have a 10 degree WM (not sure model name) which is a hell of a bag, packs small, great loft, roomy, warm. Just the cats ass overall.

I also have a WM 30 degree bag (again not sure model name) it is great too, super compact and super light. I don’t use it all that often as I tend to sleep cold and always worry it won’t be enough so i error for more bag.

Have a couple other generic cheap bags we use for truck/trailer camping, but not even in the same ballpark as what I have listed above. Not worried about weight/packability with those.

The more you spend the smaller and lighter they get. And you do get what you pay for. Hope a little of that helps.

—Jim

03-Oct-19
It helps a lot JT . Most of the time I haul my gear in by horse so weight isn’t a real big factor. Ride in and set up a small camp using small tents. The weather is starting to cool down and I do need a good warm one.

03-Oct-19
I'm a fan of the Big Agnes 0 degree bags that have the integrated pad that slides into a sleeve inside the bag. If it gets too warm, just open it up. The integrated pad is the bomb.

Matt

03-Oct-19
Everyone looks at what they think the temperature might be. Doesn’t anyone else just but the warmest bag money can buy? I have two -30 bags. Both are Cabelas Alaskan Guide models. One is a mummy and the other a regular. If I get warm I just unzip it. Maybe hang a leg out. If it’s cold I zip it all the way up. Never cold and no complaints. Had both at least 15 years.

03-Oct-19
Mule Power why would you want to carry a negative -30 bag when the low is going to be 40 above a lot of extra weight and space needed for that. I guess if you are strictly throwing it in the back of a SUV and carrying 10 feet to a tent that works fine. But if putting in a backpack that bag takes up space and oz equal pounds and pounds equal pain as they say.

03-Oct-19
A guy should have a couple of bags....a synthetic and a down. I do use a bag that is overkill for the situation....never needed a bag for warmer temps like 40 degrees.

I can handle the extra pound or two.....being cold at night is a non-starter.

03-Oct-19
Would recommend going 15-20 degrees below what the temperature is likely to be. First cause the temp may crash even lower and as has already been said, a zero degree bag is very unlikely to be comfortable at zero degrees. I have a Kuiu zero degree bag - very high quality and compactable, and I’m thrilled with it - use it everywhere as it has a very wide temperature comfort range, depending on how tightly I zip it. Personally, I sleep a bit to the cold side. So, if the temp drops much below 15-20 degrees, I’ll be reaching for a liner or wearing thermals in the bag. With my 15 degree Montbell bag I start feeling a chill any time it dips below freezing.

03-Oct-19
I recently purchased a Kodiak Canvas 0 degree sleeping bag with a detachable (zipper) hood from Competitive Edge Products.com and am very happy with it. A great sleeping bag made with all top quality materials. Used it recently in Colorado and was comfortable all week even with a couple warm nights. Just unzipped the side a bit and also down by my feet. If you are looking for a sleeping bag that packs down small, then this bag is not for you. Comes with a quality zip carry bag. Ordered it and had it at my door in three days.

03-Oct-19
I have a bunch of bags. WM, Kifaru, Mountain Hardware, Big Agnes mostly...Last week while on a Bighorn Hunt in Alberta the temps were sub zero a couple nights. I FROZE in my Kifaru zero degree slick bag. Wished I would’ve had my Mountain Hardware -40 Bag. My point: Buy/take a bag at least 20 degrees colder than you think the temps will be. And, one bag won’t cut the temp extremes if you hunt a lot. I was fortunate that I threw in my Sitka Blizzard stuff last minute. Slept in it every night. Without the extra puffy layers, I would’ve been miserable.

03-Oct-19
I really like my Kuiu 15-degree bag, I've used it to single digit temps with the addition of a good liner. You ought to consider an insulated sleeping pad also. Cold coming up from the ground will make any sleeping bag uncomfortable, underneath you all the bag insulation is compressed and not working as well.

03-Oct-19
I've used big agnes bags for a long time, never let me down. Have the Whiskey Park 0 degree for base camp and Mystic 15 degree for backpacking and bivy camp. As long as you have a good pad your good to go.

03-Oct-19
Backpacking, ATV or truck? I agree with JTreeman, Marmot makes excellent sleeping bags. Also look into Exped sleeping pad super light weight.

03-Oct-19
I have a Kifaru 0 degree slick bag and like it. It’s heavy and big but I spike camp with it. Had a Marmot 20 degree bag for warmer temps but somehow lost it loading up the truck the other day to leave.

04-Oct-19
+1 for the Kifaru 0 degree. Perfect for typical mountain bow season temps. Not as light or compact as a down bag but bomb proof imo.

If you want a down bag I'd pick a Western Mountaineering in a temp rating 15 degrees below what you expect to be in and be done with it.

04-Oct-19
I have a WM Badger I think, it's green. I can't stand the inside of the bag as its like sleeping in a plastic garbage bag. Drives me crazy sleeping in it with just underwear on as it just sticks to you. Overlooked that when I purchased , but if I had a do over thats one thing I would have changed. Time will tell if I keep the bag.

04-Oct-19
Kifaru 0 deg Slick bag. The 20 deg keeps me warm to about 15 or so without issues.

04-Oct-19
I have a 20 degree Kelty that I like down to about 40 degrees. As with everything you get what you pay for and everyone likes it a little different. I mostly truck camp so if it’s above 40 I use my 20 degree. If it’s below freezing I put my 20 degree inside and old zero degree. Not practical for packing though.

04-Oct-19
I have been using the 15* Marmot Helium for nearly all of my hunts. It is light, packs small and has kept me warm to the upper 20's. I recently bought a WM 0* bag for a recent cold weather trip and it is much warmer than my Marmot, but also stuffs bigger and heavier. I will likely get a Kifaru Slick bag when I need a synthetic bag for some wet weather hunts in the future.

04-Oct-19
Ive froze my ass off in my BA 0 degree bag, and BA insulated Air Core pad at 25 degrees. That was until I figured out the air pad was sucking the body heat out from me.

Now I slide a thin blue pad as a thermal break between the ground and the air core pad. Done.

04-Oct-19
get on camofire.com great deals on black orvis and other brands and alot of other things

04-Oct-19

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo

04-Oct-19
I have a -30* bag and sleep with it mostly unzipped, but can zip it up more if needed, but if you have a +20 bag and it gets real cold you are screwed. Just my 2 cents. Scott

04-Oct-19
I called Kifaru and it would take a couple weeks to get their bag and I don’t have that much time or I would buy one.

04-Oct-19
Wiggy's. best there is....

04-Oct-19
If weight doesn’t matter and space isn’t at a premium, I like my Wiggy’s. It’s pretty bomb proof.

Otherwise, I’d go with a 0* quilt with a silk liner. Lots of versatility.

Make sure you’ve got a good pad. And if its cold, use the straps. And a beanie or a beanie and neck gaiter or a balaclava.

05-Oct-19

Dirty D's embedded Photo
Dirty D's embedded Photo
You said weight and size are not an issue. I own a pile of sleeping bags (Marmot, Big Agnus, etc.) and if I'm car camping and/or not carrying it far my new favorite is this cheapy from Sportsmans Warehouse - Teton Sports Celsius XL. I bought it last year for guiding late season rifle hunts thinking I'd need a colder weather bag but I've been using it for about everything except backpack hunts. I like the bigger cut and it's definitely warm.

05-Oct-19
Marmot Helium 15 degree. Super light, packs small, great for backpacking. Warm. If colder simply have a light liner or wear a t shirt and long underwear that you have along anyway.

06-Oct-19
Another fan of the Marmot Helium. However, I got mine when they were made using 900 ct goose down. Lighter and packs smaller than today’s 850 ct goose down.

07-Oct-19
I also have an older Marmot Helium 15* with the *waterproof* shell. Very light, compact and fairly roomy. If you're not using a sleeping pad with a decent R value, then you're screwed any way. Up until last week I was using a non-insulated Neoair with a Z-Lite pad on top. A warm sleep system is built from the ground up. When I'm backpacking in cold weather or high country, I always carry a down puffy and down pants, which can easily add ten degrees to the bag rating. If you need more just wear more of the clothes you have with you anyway. I almost always have on at least a very light layer of Merino wool and Merino liner socks. They slip around nicely inside the bag so you don't get that twisted up feeling when rolling around.

• Sitka Gear