Glunt@work 07-Oct-19
Huntcell 07-Oct-19
SDHNTR(home) 07-Oct-19
Trophyhill 08-Oct-19
smarba 08-Oct-19
03-Oct-19

Trophyhill's embedded Photo
This is my story and I hope y'all enjoy. I have alot to be thankful for, and alot of folks to thank. Including working for the greatest construction company ever bar none.

My friend JP, (Mrelite), Zane (Da White Shoe) Gregg (GSelkhunter), Rod (slickstalker), otcWill, Bruce (beendare), Bob (Bob Muley), Steve (Telehog), Paul (Elknut1), Mike (5MB), Dennis (Colorado Hunter) Gabe at The Archery Shoppe in Albuquerque, and so many more for taking the time to share knowledge and answer my annoying questions on the different forums I've frequented over the years since I started bowhunting in 2008. All those I haven't mentioned mean just as much as those I have because we all share a great passion that is bowhunting and bowhunting elk.

This could take a few days so I hope you bare with me. Doing a story like this on a cell phone is not my favorite thing to do but here goes.

It all started last April when I found out I drew a NM tag. I had taken a short time off from shooting my bow after a successful January Rutting Mule Deer hunt. It was time to start shooting again. And I shot and I shot and I shot. At least 5 days a week anywhere from 30 to 100 shots a day. So much that I wore a set of strings/cables out and had to have them replaced.

I also started going to the gym about this time as well. When you hear guys mention getting in shape, it's true. The better shape you are in, the more enjoyable your hunt will be. Is it necessary in order to be successful? No but on day 5, 7 or 9 of hunting hard and eating dehydrated meals, your body will thank you.

JP and Alan drew the same tag so we decided to set trail cams in June and scouting some new country. We did a few good scouting trips over the summer and put the miles on the quads God gave us. Our own 2 feet. Got some great pics of some amazing animals and wildlife this summer.

03-Oct-19

Anyone know who this guy is?
Anyone know who this guy is?
JP and Alan checking cams. Got their best side
JP and Alan checking cams. Got their best side
I have no idea who the guy and his dog are or how he showed up, but I guess he is here to stay because I can't seem to delete it.

03-Oct-19

03-Oct-19
Looking forward to the story. Those boots look like a ccouple of my old pairs of Mucks I have put hundreds of miles on each of..they stillb barely leak even with all the cracks and holes. And they are both well over 20 yrs old.

03-Oct-19
Lol Trapper. My phone died while I was trying to post a pic off my phone. I have no idea who that guy is or how his image showed up

03-Oct-19
He has a good looking dog.......

03-Oct-19

03-Oct-19
Lol kinda looks like yours JP

03-Oct-19

In August I headed out to check trail cams. Though this guy did not show up on the cams in August, he did show up for a face to face and a very nerve racking and scary encounter at 10'. I'll never forget it and hope I never experience that again. He let me live that day. I've had many bear encounters and never felt threatened. Until that day in August. It makes you realize a few things when you encounter a bear with predatory behavior and I'm sitting here telling you all about it. This was his turf and he did not want me there. Boy was I lucky that August day.

03-Oct-19
As our hunt approached, we collaborated and all camped and hunted in different areas. JP and Alan packed in and camped in different locations, and I stayed behind and did truck camp this year. Truck camp does have its advantages. Like eating real meals, changing socks n undies daily, getting clean daily, and so on and so forth. JP and I both have InReaches and were able to communicate.

JP is a well rounded and versatile elk killer who can call or go into stealth mode. While Alan is your worst nightmare. This guy cannot call. But he covers some serious ground. His tactic is to bust them out of there beds and hope for a shot. And believe it or not is successful at it! He is an equal opportunity killer. And I? Well I'm still learning. I can make most bull sounds very well with a mouth Reed and my Chuckler, while my cow calls need alot of work with a mouth reed. So I use externals for the majority of cow sounds. I'm also using sounds that not many use in the elkwoods. Sounds I've heard elk use between themselves that noone talks about. And some sounds that are loud and obnoxious that noone else does just because it goes against the norm. But you know what? I've had opportunities to kill big bulls every year using certain tactics and sounds that I won't get into today ;)

I hunted with my buddy Gregg in 2011 and again in 2013 when I came back from Hawaii. You wanna talk about a great caller? This man can do it all. And do it like no other. Unfortunately he's got physical issues that hold him back. But what I gleaned from hunting with him are locations when calling. Very important to call from the right locations. Especially when hunting solo.

04-Oct-19
So after hunting silent elk with the occasional lazy bugle for a few days and noticing an over abundance of hunters in our areas (still scratching my head on that because typically, there is little or no pressure here) JP and I connected on the InReach and decided to pack in and live with that bear that was still fresh in my mind for a few days.

We got his Sawtooth set up and got an evening hunt in. This was in an area where he killed on the second to last day the previous year. We were stoked because we'd had some bulls on trail cam as recent as the first Archery hunt and we had drawn the second.

04-Oct-19
Always ready for a good story...

04-Oct-19
"I'm also using sounds that not many use in the elkwoods."

I do this too, but not on purpose.

04-Oct-19
Lol

04-Oct-19

This is how I stay dry when it rains. Although normally I don't carry my camp chair with me, unless I know it's going to rain all day

04-Oct-19
Looking like a great start for a great story!

04-Oct-19

So after we get camp set up and get close to the cam we are going to pull, the plan was to make 2 loud cow calls and listen. And this guy answers the call and is coming. JP says "you set up over there, and I'll set up over here, but don't call anymore". So as I'm watching this bull come in and bugle his way in, I'm able to draw my bow as he crosses a small wash. I held for what seemed forever and the bull stops right behind a tree I ranged at 35 yards with his vitals covered. And he's looking for the cow he heard.

04-Oct-19
Refresh... refresh....

04-Oct-19

Here's an earlier pic we had of this bull

04-Oct-19
So at this point I'm not sure what JP is thinking or doing. He's welcome to chime in ;) At first I saw him set up in one spot, then I saw him move back down and out of site before the bull was in my wheel house.

The plan was if he comes in from 1 spot, I kill him, or if he goes in the other direction, JP kills him. Perfect plan. Fool proof! This bull is taking a dirt nap one way or another!

This is where it gets good! By this time I'd been holding my D350 back for so long, I couldn't hold any longer and had to let off. I mean it's not like this is a 370 bull or something you'd be kicking yourself for the rest of your life for not working out a little harder leading up to the hunt.

Besides, JP was on the other side of that knoll undoubtedly with an arrow nocked and had a front row seat. Fool proof I tell ya.

I'd like JP to chime in and tell y'all what he saw (or herd) from his perspective. I've seen him shoot and had no doubt once I let off and the bull went in his direction, I'm fixing to help JP pack out his bull from almost the same exact spot he killed one last year. Fool proof plan! ;)

04-Oct-19
JP must be napping....

04-Oct-19
Lmao that's what I was beginning to think too

04-Oct-19

While we're waiting for Rip Van Winkle, Kifaru packs loaded up and heading into the Backcountry

04-Oct-19

That Sawtooth is pretty badazz in the Backcountry

04-Oct-19

A brief intermission. These elk are at the scene a month early

04-Oct-19

Oops......wrong state. Elk were screamin in CO second weekend!

05-Oct-19
No napping with a bull screaming at 30 or 40 yds away! I just couldn't see that bull until he was standing at the location I had first set up, I knew that spot was the place to block his escape from the zone, there would have been no where safe for that bull if I had got set up there. When I got to that spot the wind was blowing right towards where the bull was coming from, in the 2 seconds I had to think about it I knew I couldn't stay there, if I had, no one would have had an opportunity so I ran back down the hill and set up 40 or 50 yds on the opposite side of the saddle from David. Lol I didn't know it at the time but David was watching the bull coming on in as I was running down the hill, I just barely made it to the saddle. Sooo close but yet sooo far away!

05-Oct-19
Yeah, cool and all, but by your title I was hoping for ladies in g strings.

05-Oct-19
Lol no g strings today. Just another great elk hunt. They're great whether you kill or not ;)

06-Oct-19
good point but on this thread we want a kill so good luck.

06-Oct-19
Ok so bottom line is, we watched this bull walk out of our lives forever. The next day we split up and hunted hard. Followed a bugle and ended up right on top of JP. I'd just got called in by a hunter. Ole JP can make all the sounds that's for sure. After huddling up and chatting for a bit, neither of us saw any fresh sign but stuck it out. We split up and hunted the rest of the afternoon. Before heading back to camp I managed to get a few bulls talking to me just before dark on the other side of the canyon I was calling into. I knew where I'd be going in the morning.

06-Oct-19
The following morning, JP heads one way, I go the other and get back to where I want to be. I called up into those canyons I'd gotten responses from the evening before. No responses this morning. I was looking at the topo and found the place I wanted to be. A steep climb up. I got to where I wanted just in time to see a cow and calf cross over the saddle. And trust me, cows are definitely on the menu when I have a bow in my hand. Another blown opportunity!

06-Oct-19
Getting closer! Got a feeling one of those elk is going to make a mistake soon!

06-Oct-19
“huddling up and chatting for a bit, ”

“following morning, JP heads one way, I go the other”

“Huddling up” didn’t go so well?

06-Oct-19
Treeline, elk season always ends too soon no matter our successes or failed attempts. But stay tuned ;)

Huntcell, our scouting and trail cams said different. However the activity on the trail cams ceased during the first hunt. Hunters? Predators? I can tell you that big black bear was dropping huge black chits all over the area. He was definitely eating meat! And we know a lion was in the area. Either way we decided to pack up and head back to truck camp and deal with pressured elk and try to make something happen.

I'd previously been hunting the backside of a ridge and knew where some bulls were bedding, but I never pushed them out and figured they were still there. Per my earlier conversations with JP I also knew other hunters from below were pushing them into a few pockets from below and since we were gone for a couple days, wasn't sure what to expect when we got back into the area. JP had been camping on a ridge below dealing with all the pressure down there. We decided to hunt that stuff from the top from truck camp. JP was still on the fence about even coming out from where we just came but decided to give it a go.

06-Oct-19
Initially we'd left elk, to go find elk we'd hoped were still there, and it hadn't panned out. Now we were back. We made our way in the next morning. It was time to split up again.

I went on one side of a ridge where I'd heard bugling a few days earlier from their beds, and he went to the other side where I'd heard bugling from beds a few days before. He also tried to follow them up from below a few days earlier but the wind screwed him each time. But being up top was prime position to pounce. Or so we thought.

06-Oct-19
I still wonder where Al was hunting during this whole time. He was camped between JP and I initially. And like I said before, he is another hunters worst nightmare as much ground as he covers. And I hadn't heard or seen any elk come out of the area in the backs of pick ups. At least he wasn't my nightmare. I wasn't worried about him anyways. Although those other hunters in the area may have thought different had they known he was crawling all over this area busting elk from beds looking for an opportunity.

06-Oct-19
After a few hours I heard the worst bugle ever after I threw out a few cow calls. And it was fairly close. "Great" I'm thinking to myself. "Another hunter, and this time I called him in". So I decided to head back and hunt my way back toward truck camp. I sent a message on the InReach to let JP know I was vacating the area. He texted back and had run into a few hunters who had no idea he was there. We met up and hunted our way back to camp.

Come to find out, that terrible bugle I'd heard was a real bull that busted out of the area on the other side of the ridge where JP had been hunting. He did have a couple encounters in there but got discouraged when he also encountered those hunters. One of them even squatted and took a number 2 50 yards from him lol.

Regardless he had seen enough and headed back in to where the big black bear was living. Alan had to be back to work. All he took home were more great memories this year, while a few other hunters will have reaccuring nightmares with Alan haunting their elk dreams ;) And I stayed behind hunting from Truck camp.

My elk dreams were just getting started as usual. It's all I think about year round and although I'd had a few highs and lows, I never let those lows get to me. I learned early on that you have to live in the moment and what your next move will be. If you aren't staying in the moment, you are screwing up. At least for that moment until you refocus. We can't let blown opportunities haunt us or other hunters play on our phsyci either. Live in the moment and stay focused!

06-Oct-19
With only 3 days left now, it had been a tough hunt up until now. I was averaging at least 10 miles a day on my boots. One day I did 10 miles before lunch time. I wish there was something better than the dehydrated meals I've been eating lol.

Sometimes you have to just stop and take in your surroundings. The sights, the smells, the sounds of the forest. It always amazes me when I catch the flicker of a finches wings from 300 yards away or a squirrel twitch a tail at 400 yards. The rest of the year i'd probably never notice that. But when your senses are hightened, you notice that stuff.

Never give up.... ever!

06-Oct-19
After taking in the sights and sounds, and snapping back into "the moment", I was smelling bad and decided to get cleaned up at camp and do an afternoon/evening hunt.

Remember I mentioned hunting with Gregg a few years ago and took notice on locations he was calling from? Well I have this one spot I like to call from. I've hunted this unit now 3 times since 2015 and have called in 3 big bulls from this spot and didn't close the deal for one reason or another.

Here I've been doing everything right, calling, stalking, scouting, finding elk, and calling in big bulls. Really coming into my own as a bowhunter and an elk hunter.

My biggest hurdle to killing respectable bulls has been me. I've called in more good bulls than I can count on my hands and toes since 2008 when I started this adventure and started talking to the guys I mentioned early in this thread and many of you I haven't mentioned. The biggest weekness has been hesitation and not trusting what my eyes are telling me when one of these big SOB's shows up screaming in my face! The one piece of advice i'd tell someone is "do not hesitate"! This is where you have to have "ice in your veins" boy I am getting nervous and slightly trembling just recounting and thinking about what happened next!

06-Oct-19

This is the spot I like to call from. I call it "The Crows Nest"

06-Oct-19
So around 5 pm, I'm at The Crows Nest. Not only had I called in 3 big bulls here before but also some raggys and satellites. You just never know what you are going to call in. Come to think of it though, I haven't called in any cows that I am aware of from this spot.

So I give one loud cow call thru my Gen lll ElkNut Chuckler and boom! A bull answers me back. But he was quite a ways off. I've had this happen enough times from this location and they not come that I figured, I'll wait 5 minutes and do another one. Which is what I did.

He answers back again! Only this time it was obvious he was coming! So I bailed off The Crows Nest and head towards the bugle. In the openings on the side of the canyon are these small sunflower looking flowers about 30" tall. So as I stop, suddenly I get a strong smell of elk. I had the wind in my face and figured there's an elk with the wind at his back and he's coming! He has nowhere to circle in from this time like has happened to me so many times in the past!

Now the smell is getting stronger! Since 2008 I have never smelled a lone bull that smelled like this. When he finally came into view at about 200 yards, the smell was even stronger, and getting stronger as he closed the distance! He'd come about 20 or 30 yards at a time and stop! He'd look around a bit, then bugle! My anxiety level was extreme! Should I call? Should I move? Still had cover, but haven't called since I bailed off the rocks! Then I remembered what JP had told me earlier in the hunt. "Less is better".

So I remained silent and made that bull search for that cow (me). He kept coming! He stopped at about 40 yards and bugles. I had a giant sneak in on me here last year at this same spot only I didn't see him until after he saw me and I blew it!

Now the shoe was on the other foot! Could this be that same bull who was over 350" last year, and even bigger this year? Could be I suppose. It could be his daddy too! Here I am witnessing a bull of a lifetime and knowing not too many people see bulls of this caliber in their lifetime! Let alone kill one. Is today my lucky day? 40 yards and closing but won't have a shooting lane unless he or I cut that distance in half. And trust me.....at this point I am not moving other than clipping my release!

06-Oct-19
As I said, this isn't the first time I'd been in this situation. Only this time I knew not to think about the text pics I'm fixing to send to my buddies. Don't do it guys! It will bite you in the azz! So this bull closes to 25 yards. I'm on both knees and only my bow, parts of my chest and head are above the sunflowers as I draw while his head is behind a tree. I still won't have a shot unless he gets another 10 yards. Beendare and seendat. And have a few elk tales to tell about that too. This is far from being a slam dunk. I can't tell you how many times I've been here and failed. On this day I was going to do all I could do and "stay in the moment". Not only stay there, but live there until I see it thru.

06-Oct-19

From the direction he is coming, I'm anticipating a up close and personal broadside double lung shot. I'll stop him with the nervous grunt and drill him!

Only the elk does not cooperate! He didn't give me time to hit him with that nervous grunt. He stopped on his own at a very hard quartering too almost full on frontal angle.

I'd killed a 4 point bull in CO in 2013 with a 30 yard full on frontal. This monster is standing in front of me at 16 yards! At this angle, the shot should enter the sweet spot and embed in his offside front shoulder. And that's exactly what happened! He raised his head and started to bugle when I touched off the shot! I had just arrowed a bull that dreams are made of! You talk about intense? I am here to tell you about it! My hands are sweaty just recounting this! To bad Alan had to leave. I called this bull over from the ridge he was camped in and had heard the lazy bugle from there on several occasions. I'm thankful for JP helping me track n pack! He did not tip over in 10' like my '13 bull but in the end it was a long night and got back to camp around 1 or 2 in the morning.

I feel very humbled to have hunted with such great people, and mentored by the best of the best, and thankful to the almighty that I am allowed to be here today telling you all about my Whale Tales! You all are awesome and I appreciate you taking the time to read this! I truly am blessed and the 1 thing I will say is "Never Give Up! Ever!"

06-Oct-19
Main beams are 58" & 58-4/8" respectively. What a great 6 point bull!

06-Oct-19
Oh Hell Yes! Awesome bull David! Can't believe you would shoot a cow with that tag :)! I bet you're glad you didn't. Big congrats Sir!

06-Oct-19
Wow, great story and bull! Thanks for taking the time to share.

06-Oct-19
Thanks guys!

Will, I am an equal opportunity killer with my bow. But you are right, I had several opportunities the couple times I've drawn this tag. I drew back on a cow in 2015 at 10 yards and then let it down thinking to myself "this is the Gila stupid" ;)

06-Oct-19
Wow great bull and story. Thanks for posting!

06-Oct-19
Fantastic bull and story! Well done and I agree, "Never give up" Congrats.

06-Oct-19
Great story and bull!

06-Oct-19
Awesome bull and story! Congrats!!

06-Oct-19
Way to get er done! Spectacular results! Excellent work on your part and one Hell of a bull! Love it!

06-Oct-19

Thanks guys! JP was in Ft Collins a while back and brought the evidence with him!

06-Oct-19
Jealousy runs high on a bull like that! Wow! Great work!

06-Oct-19
Thanks for sharing. The profile picture is much better than the guy with the dog.

06-Oct-19

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
Great story David, It'll be a lasting memory but next time we are taking 2 of those bad boys out! That bull has some real mass to it too

07-Oct-19
Looking forward to that JP!

07-Oct-19
Thanks guys! When you think about it, They're all trophy's with a bow! I only wish I'd of started with a bow way back in '95 when I started hunting :)

07-Oct-19
Helluva Bull, David!

Great Story as well, you certainly earned those "Whale Tails"!

07-Oct-19
Thanks for sharing your story. That bull is a dandy! Congratulations.

07-Oct-19
Great elk and story! Thanks for sharing!

07-Oct-19
Congrats!

07-Oct-19
A whale of a tale of a Whaletail. It’s a super whaletail. graduates on gitter done .

07-Oct-19
Hell of a bull! Fitting title. congrats.

08-Oct-19
Thanks again guys! I just feel so extremely blessed and thankful for all the help and advice on this journey. It's been a fun and rewarding ride to say the least. I remember my first encounter. It was unit 34 NM. I called a big bull in with the Hoochie Mama. Knew nothing about elk. I came off the mountain that day trembling from the experience after having that bull scream in my face but never had a shot. I knew that day that I had a new life long passion that is bowhunting. I just love it!

08-Oct-19
Congrats David, well deserved!

• Sitka Gear