elkmtngear 08-Oct-19
GF 08-Oct-19
elkmtngear 08-Oct-19
bighorn 08-Oct-19
GF 08-Oct-19
Pickahair 09-Oct-19
MNpurple 09-Oct-19
06-Oct-19
In the thread title...."the best arrow rest" I said I was going to set one up on a bow for whitetail this year. I have been using a dropaway since Randy Ulmer came out with one of the 1st versions of one....I actually still have it.

I put the WB on a Elite Z28 shooting Maxima Reds 250 with offset Blazer vanes. On the 7th shot I had a perfect bullet hole on paper, I only needed horizontal adjustments. For me it was the standard paper tuning as far as tear and rest movement. Some said it could be the opposite with the WB but for me it wasn`t.

I got the pins locked down and am shooting the same groups as I was with my Trophy Taker dropaway. I must admit I was not thinking it would be this easy to set up and was expecting some wobbly arrow flight but I see none of this. Sat what you want and call me a "novice" but this thing is a quality rest.

I`m a believer.

06-Oct-19
WB are awesome and tune very well. No in the field worries either, just a great basic rest!

06-Oct-19
Love my WB! Someone told me one time "you're losing 3 fps!" Big deal! So I dropped from 320 to 317. So what! It truly is a great piece of equipment!

06-Oct-19
How are they in snow and ice

06-Oct-19
How are they in snow and ice.....

IMO, Got to be as good as a drop away... I'm guessing in some weather conditions a bow isn't the best choice of weapon regardless of what rest is used.

06-Oct-19
I've been shooting the WB for I dont know how long (10 years guess). 3D shooting and hunting. I dont have any vane problems. I'm shooting 2-inch Blazers put on with a bitzenburger right helical. With the Simplicity to tune the quality of shooting and never a weather-related problem I don't see me changing anytime soon. Ed

06-Oct-19
“How are they in snow and ice?” LOL Besides the fact that they’re awesome in snow and ice, what would you rather have in snow and ice - a fixed rest or one that needs to flip out of the way on a hinge?

06-Oct-19
A drop-away froze up on me one time and I had to watch a whole herd of Elk cross the trail about 15 yards below me while I desperately tried to defrost it.

SON OF A....

Yeah, high-tech sucks.

06-Oct-19
Why would you think it would be wobbly? A WB is like shooting trough a pipe that sets the arrow on the path determined by the pipe. Lazy man’s way of tuning, not to mention louder, hard on vanes, etc.

06-Oct-19
Snow and ice? Great! I've seen snow, ice, sleet, rain and all kinds of different weather. Simply a great dependable and reliable piece of gear! One year hunting brutal cold in Ohio the WB never failed at the moment of truth while hunting whitetail

07-Oct-19
Since their infancy I’ve never shot anything else

07-Oct-19
piroque…..what is the theory behind a dropaway? I believe it`s "minimal contact between rest and arrow". So if you buy into that theory then shooting through a hole surrounded by bristles making 360 degree CONTACT on your arrow and vanes should in theory create "wobble". Shockingly it doesn`t.

So are we being shined on by the dropaway crowd and manufacturers....because you can`t have it both ways. Either CONTACT effects the arrow or it doesn`t.

07-Oct-19
"Lazy man’s way of tuning" LOL they are easier to set up than a drop away. Once set, you can forget them. They can not fail, like a drop away. They are as accurate as a drop away. Why eff around with a drop away? I'll take the "lazy" route on this one.

07-Oct-19
Do a search on the best drop away rest. They are all the best, and they all suck. Hmmmm again I'll take the "lazy" bombproof WB.

07-Oct-19

Lost Arra's Link
Anytime you need a good chuckle watch this. (WB fan here although I have my first drop away on a used bow I recently purchased and so far it's worked well)

07-Oct-19
I can shoot standing on my head if I have to.

Bombproof, and foolproof.

07-Oct-19
All I can say is it has opened my eyes to rest options in a hunting situation.

07-Oct-19
“I can shoot standing on my head if I have to.”

But you can’t HIT anything that way, so what difference does it make?

We have them on the Genesis bows at the club, and without sights on those bows, they’re a disaster.

Without sights, you have ONE point of reference as to where your arrow is going, which is..... THE ARROW. And the biscuits completely block it out.

Kinda pointless..... if you’ll pardon the pun.

07-Oct-19
Never used one but wouldn't be afraid to try one. Doubt I'm a good enough archer to tell the difference at the ranges I like to shoot. I'm sure guys like John Dudley, Randy Ulmer, or any of the top archers of today could see differences in their groups due to the extra contact but most of us mere mortals....probably not so much.

07-Oct-19
I used one for a couple years and yes it’s maintenance free and rugged. My problem with it rose from my lack of good form at times/buck fever and I could never be quite as consistent as with a drop away which removes some of my operator error.

Craig.

07-Oct-19
I love the biscuit and used one for years. I kind of was bored after about 12 years of trouble free shooting/hunting with the biscuit and wanted to try a drop away which I currently have on my bow. A buddy missed a slammer a few years ago because his drop away froze up on him...I will probably go back to the biscuit eventually due to its simplicity and maintenance free features. That being said, I'm shooting fine with the drop away.

07-Oct-19
"Without sights, you have ONE point of reference as to where your arrow is going, which is..... THE ARROW. And the biscuits completely block it out".

Shooting instinctive, I see that as a bonus. Whenever I would switch to broadheads, after shooting target points all Year, having the blade in my sight picture was distracting.

I just focus on the spot, where I want the arrow to go. Try it sometime!

07-Oct-19
I am probably one of the first in Maine to have a Biscuit. The only store to carry them was Kittery TP. And had to wait till they had one, travel 180 mi round trip to get it. I still use and have faith in them. You can't go wrong with a Biscuit.

07-Oct-19
Had a drop away that came apart and went to WB with a piece of mind.

07-Oct-19
I have one this year for first time. Trivial tune to get bh and fp together to 60 yards. Havent shot an animal yet. But the "knock and forget it " has been awesome on multiple antelope stalks

07-Oct-19
“Shooting instinctive, I see that as a bonus. Whenever I would switch to broadheads, after shooting target points all Year, having the blade in my sight picture was distracting.

I just focus on the spot, where I want the arrow to go. Try it sometime!”

That’s how I shoot at moving targets and quick shots at close range. But that’s where you END UP.

Anybody who would expect a new shooter to develop good hand-eye coordination without the benefit of their eyes should be strung up by his thumbs.

“Instinctive” is a CROCK. Hand-eye coordinated shooting is where you END UP after many hours of practice, and it’s a lousy way to learn.

08-Oct-19
I will always have a bow with a WB on it.

08-Oct-19
Switched to WBs in 2004 and still think they are doing exactly what they should be. For me it’s all about ease of use and being almost bulletproof in hunting situations. I did have one get wet then freeze up on me once in cold weather, until I started using simple silicone spray to treat every so often. My accuracy is just fine with WB and all the dead game could not tell you if my arrow speed was reduced a few feet/sec or not.

08-Oct-19
"Anybody who would expect a new shooter to develop good hand-eye coordination without the benefit of their eyes should be strung up by his thumbs".

Sooo, "hand eye coordination" does not include the eyes, when you are burning a hole in the spot with them???

Most natural way to learn there is, just like throwing a rock at something. Work on form alone in the beginning, not worrying about where the arrow goes. The brain will automatically hardwire the rest.

08-Oct-19
Bou...Just came back from Montana. Got caught in the big blizzard. Rain turned to snow, LOTS of snow and cold high winds! Worked perfect. No ice build up or problems.

08-Oct-19
But will do so much faster if the shooter consciously aligns the length of the arrow with their dominant eye and the mark.

If you can’t see the arrow, you can’t do that.

Just because the vast majority of “trad” shooters learned using an inefficient (and for many, a woefully INEFFECTIVE) technique does not make it the “best” way to learn by a damn sight, let alone the “only” way.

You can believe whatever you want; that doesn’t invalidate the last 20 years of brain science research.

08-Oct-19
We all know they're a great, no-nonsense, reliable rest. But its like putting a bike horn on your mountain bike.

08-Oct-19
Nothing wrong with a bike horn but I use a bell.

08-Oct-19
"Just because the vast majority of “trad” shooters learned using an inefficient (and for many, a woefully INEFFECTIVE) technique does not make it the “best” way to learn by a damn sight, let alone the “only” way".

Never made any of those claims, that's on You. As usual, it's "your way or the Highway", you're the one who chose to call me out for making the simple point, that I can adapt to anything when it comes to hunting conditions, without fear of my arrow moving around on my rest, or having "mechanical failure", or some other type of "physics problem".

Do you ever tire of being a douche? You seem to thrive on confrontation!

08-Oct-19
Unless you're shooting at a fixed yardage each and every time(indoor target league), you should NEVER use the arrow as a reference when trad shooting.

08-Oct-19
Tell that to the gappers who win all of the bare-bow tournaments...

If your arrow is lined up on your mark, you have the accuracy issue 50% solved. Some have detailed systems for gapping, others are Gap-stinctive.

JMO, gap-stinctive is the bees’ knees for hunting scenarios, as long as you get enough time in to know how to adjust. I just need more work on my short game, because I have so much fun at 25-65 yards that I tend to miss high on the 3D targets at “Hunting Range”...

08-Oct-19

GF's embedded Photo
Walk-up from a bit past 65 yards.... Ironically, the longest shot was the best of the bunch....
GF's embedded Photo
Walk-up from a bit past 65 yards.... Ironically, the longest shot was the best of the bunch....
Funny thing.... Arrows go RIGHT where they’re pointed. JMO, it pays to make note of where it’s going to go before you turn it loose....

08-Oct-19

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
30 yards, downhill, instinctive...Whisker Biscuit...we can do this all Day ;^)

08-Oct-19
Damn fine shot - even if it WAS at less than half the distance... ;)

So... how long did it take you to get to that level?

And are you shooting 3-under, or split?

Most “Trad” shooters are hopeless past 20 yards, and most “Instinctive” shooters are even worse.

So I’ll revert to where I started, which that a WB is a horrible rest to start someone out with if they don’t have a sight pin.

08-Oct-19

Here's two arrows at 62 yds, during a 3D tourney this Summer.

I shoot two fingers, split. My bow has a 36 inch ATA. Been shooting this way most of my life.

08-Oct-19
Considering going to a whisker biscuit, had a quad rest fail in little over a yr. and a smackdown pro fail in less than a yr. maybe simple is better.

08-Oct-19
Dude... Simple is DEFINITELY better!

The good old Flipper is tough to beat, I’m told. Bear Weatherest is astronomically better than I ever would have imagined. But I still like a little Cordovan right on the shelf....

09-Oct-19

Pickahair's embedded Photo
Sept. New Mexico
Pickahair's embedded Photo
Sept. New Mexico
This is my first year to shoot a wb after 35 yrs. of bowhunting and have shot every kind ever made over those years. While getting ready for first elk hunt this summer I lost confidence in fall aways after replacing a qad w a new sync then to a ripcord. All of them had fletching contact, one never would fall. Had my shop guy put a small hole biscuit on it and have never missed a beat. It will make you follow through but it’s Just as accurate out to 70 yds for me w helical on 2.1 fusions and its bullet proof. I’m pretty ocd about my equipment and don’t change very often, You won’t be sorry!

09-Oct-19
I had a WB for about a year then switched back to a dropaway. Everything above is accurate.. easy to tune, set up, reliable, full containment, and accurate. My issue came on a cold December evening with temps around zero and no wind. The kind of evening where any noise is greatly amplified. I had a doe at 30 yards and as soon as I started my draw, the sound of that arrow being drawn through those bristles was obvious to both her and I. She pegged me and was gone.

It was dry, so although cold, the bristles weren't frozen together. I couldn't trust it again after that. That was 6 or 7 years ago, maybe the bristles have improved?

• Sitka Gear