hdaman 24-Oct-19
axle2axle 25-Oct-19
South Farm 25-Oct-19
M.Pauls 25-Oct-19
APauls 25-Oct-19
South Farm 25-Oct-19
07-Oct-19
My feet run cold.

I used to have a pair of 2000 gram insulated Irish Setters, after 10+ years they gave up the ghost (and weren't warm anyway).

I am buying a new pair of boots this week sometime, strictly whitetail treestand hunting when it's cold and humid out.

I have a pair of rubber boots, but my feet sweat so bad in them I can't hardly wear em outside of a couple of weeks when it's warmer than 50 but colder than 65 LOL.

Thanks!

07-Oct-19
For sitting in a treestand you can’t beat Arctic Shield boot covers. When it is really cold throw in a foot warmer packet and your feet will stay toasty warm!

If I’m going to be sitting for extended periods I take off my boots, put on another thick sock with a foot warmer inserted in it, put another warmer in the Arctic Shield then put it on. Toasty toes all day!!! (warmers might need to be replaced for all day sit)

07-Oct-19
La Crosse ice Kings. Not fun to walk in but I have never gotten cold with them. I can stand on the ice all day with them.

07-Oct-19
I've tried everything, and boot blankets are the only way I can keep my feet warm. Choose your boots based on comfort, and add the insulation when you get to your stand.

07-Oct-19
The warmest boot out there has to be the Cabelas Saskatchewan PAC boot. But they aren't for walking miles in uneven terrain.

07-Oct-19
What do you call cold?

I bought a pair of Arctic Shield booties last year based on all the good reviews. Used two days and put them back in the box to reside in the the "I'll never use those again" pile. My Baffins are are much warmer and they're light and quiet.

07-Oct-19
I tried a lot of stuff too, short of buying an expensive, heavy pac boot that I couldn't walk in.

I finally settled on un-insulated leather boots about a half size too big. Medium weight merino wool socks. Arctic Shield boot blankets. Put the boot blankets on FIRST THING in the stand. BEFORE you get cold.

I know the Canada and Northern US guys will laugh, but I've sat to -8 with that system, and while I wasn't comfortable, my feet weren't cold.

07-Oct-19
Boots with built in insulation never work. You have to go to a liner pac boot type or the booties. Some have come up with innovative ideas of using the booties by throwing hand warmers in etc.

Like many stated, it`s about the terrain you have to deal with before getting to your stand.

07-Oct-19
I love my Arctic shields!!!!

I live in Western NY. We get cold and snow. I can't say enough about them. I wear other boots during normal weather (this past weekend, it was in the 40s, so I didn't bring out the shields). But when it's going to be cold (temps in the teens), I just wear lightly insulated leather boots to walk into my stand. I carry the shields in my pack. When I get to my stand, I dust the snow off of my boots. Then I put the shields on over top of my boots and slide a hand warmer inside the shields and on top of the my toes. Then I climb up the tree (I hunt with a climber so I don't have protection from the wind or elements. I've stayed for 6 hours in the teens without my feet getting even close to cold.

07-Oct-19
That's why "cold" is relative. Temps in the teens and I'm still wearing Crocs with no socks! Nobody sees me though, so I don't care if it looks goofy with shorts and a Hawaiian shirt.

07-Oct-19
If you’re moving, they’re almost all pretty good. Up a tree, there’s no suitable option.

When it gets really cold and I plan to sit, I sit in a down sleeping bag with a couple Nalgene bottles full of screamin’ hot water under my feet.

My “-100” boots will cover me down to about +20 F, but no less.

07-Oct-19
Easy....Artic Shield boot insulators and chemical packs. Don't get the little toe warmer packs, get the bigger handwarmers. The system is lightweight, cheap, and it works.

07-Oct-19
lol Ambush. Every year I wish for global warming so I could hunt rutting deer without hearing poplar trees exploding. I know it's home time when the icicle hanging off my nose measures to the bottom of my chin. Or my eyes freeze shut, whatever comes first.

07-Oct-19
You canucks are a tough breed!

07-Oct-19

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Balaclava keeps the snot liquid, Adam.

07-Oct-19
Lacrosse ice kings and buy an extra set of inserts to rotate out

07-Oct-19
I bought a pair of battery heated socks with a remote last year, and that’s the only thing that’s ever worked for me(unless your sitting all day and the better dies around 1ish)

07-Oct-19
I have the LaCrosse Ice Man which I don't think they make anymore. Never had cold feet in them and where them snowmobiling all day in negative numbers on the therm.

07-Oct-19
Cabelas Predator Extreme pac boot a size or two too big. If your feet get cold in those, then there's nothing that will keep them warm. Far warmer then my LaCrosse Ice Kings or the Arctic Shield boot blankets that live in my closet. The Predators are big and klunky, but they are WARM. The crew I ice fish with in Canada have all switched to them as they are the only thing that we've found that will keep our feet warm in -30 real temps sitting on a snowmobile waiting for a laker to swim by.

07-Oct-19
Mickey Mouse boots.

07-Oct-19
Mickey Mouse boots?

07-Oct-19
You’ve never heard of Mickey Mouse Boots ?? You must not ice fish. Government issued pac boots. My body could freeze solid and my feet would still be toasty warm in them. They are large and bulky but can’t be beat for sitting in the cold.....

Most ice fishermen wear the white ones... but they come in black too.

07-Oct-19
Mickey Mouse boots also called US G.I extreme cold weather boots. I have had a lot of boots in nearly 40 years and they are by far the warmest for stand hunting and far cheaper.

07-Oct-19
Ah gotcha, thanks gents.

No, I am not an ice fisherman at this point. Looks like it could be fun though

07-Oct-19

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Spraying your feet at home with unscented antiperspirant deodorant before putting on ur wool socks will help keep ur feet from sweating. Heres a pic of Sure unscented antiperspirant spray. Works the same on ur feet as ur underarms. Ed

07-Oct-19
Anti perspirant +uninsulated boots+ body warmer + arctic shield boot warmers = happy warm feet

07-Oct-19
When it gets cold.... really cold, I pull out my bunny boots.

08-Oct-19
Any artic Baffin. They may run you 300 bucks but are well worth it!! Shawn

08-Oct-19
White Mickey Mouse boots... they work!

08-Oct-19
I agree it’s really hard to beat Military Mickey Mouse boots.

Even if they did cost $300. But they are usually $50.

I have $300+ pack boots

Have had $700-$900, 8000 meter mountaineering boots all made for walking not Sitting.

And nothing performs like the cheap Mickey Mouse boots. They’re not so hot for walking though. For some reason it’s a challenge to keep your socks up in them.

I have gone through ice while trapping and your feet will warm the water inside. No BS.

09-Oct-19
I'm going to try the arctic shields- I've got a few pairs of uninsulated boots. Looks like a hard freeze this Thursday night, have to give them a shot!

09-Oct-19
Baffin makes a pretty warm boot as well. Tip...make sure any boot you wear for extreme cold has a loose fit. That little bit of air space between your foot and inside of boot is paramount.

09-Oct-19
For really cold weather I'll wear a 400 gram hiker amd then when I get to my stand I rubber. Band a hot hands body warmer on the top of my toes, outside of boot and then Arctic shield boot cover, warm feet all day long. Plus thier customer service is outstanding. I emailed a complaint, more of a recommendation and out of the blue got a email back thanking me and offering to send a new pair of covers. Great company, and product. Say goodbye to cold feet.

09-Oct-19
A tip for hand warmers on your toes.

Take a pair of (old) socks and cut four or five inches off the toe end. Put your regular socks on then pull the cut toe piece over. Simply slip the warmer in either top or bottom on your toes and it will stay there when your put your boots on or another layer of socks. Way easier keeping the warmer in place.

09-Oct-19
Hey Ambush- that's a great idea, definitely putting that to good use shortly!

09-Oct-19
I put the hand warmers on top of my boots, on the outside. Once wrapped in the boot blanket, (or even a sweatshirt if that's all I have with me) the leather actually heats up enough that you can raise your toes up and feel the heat. So much better than cramming the warmer in the boot and getting annoyed when the slip around, or start to go dead.

I've heard great things about Mickey Mouse boots, but it's always followed up with "but they suck to walk in". In my opinion, if a boot sucks to walk in, it's a terrible boot.

09-Oct-19
For whitetail stand hunting I really like my Muck Boots. They fit like a shoe, are flexible & very warm. I recommend the artic but not the artic pro because they are too stiff and remind me of lacrosse or artic shields. I usually wear a pair of wool socks & I've sat in -5 with snow all day without warmers or issues.

09-Oct-19
Just stick the foot warmers on socks under toes and just about any brand boot with some insulation works for me.

09-Oct-19
Lots of good suggestions so far for weather above zero, but for tree stand hunting in truly cold temps (from zero down to minus 30F) my vote is for the Canadian military surplus Mukluk style boots available through "Quinn the Eskimo" in Saskatoon (Google him - The boots aren't on the website but call and you can order them). Trust me, those things are just amazing. I wouldn't use them if you have to hike far, but they are lightweight, super comfy (bedroom slipper-esque) and inexpensive. And most of all, they are the warmest footwear I've ever worn, and I've tried them all.

09-Oct-19
Anyone with mickys or bunnies, get yourself a cheap pair of tall oversized wool socks, cheap is fine. Put on your normal wool boot sock and put the big pair over them, put your boots on and lace em up, now roll the big ones down over the top of your boot. Your normal socks will now stay in place and you will like your boots way more than you did.

09-Oct-19
You guys hunt when it is WAY too cold! LOL!!!

09-Oct-19
Teeton is on track. A simple tip I learned from my dad many years ago is to put your foot inside a plastic bag. Bread bags work well, then when your foot sweats it won't get the insulation in your boot wet. This may not entirely solve your problem but it will help quite a bit.

09-Oct-19
Cabelas Saskatchewan! Buy em half size big and run some heated insoles. You won’t be walking far in them but your feet will be warm on stand all day. Best purchase I’ve made for cold stand hunting.

09-Oct-19
Put me in the boot blanket camp. I really don’t take the cold that we’ll, yeah, I’m kinda weak. But I have been pretty pleased with Arctic Shield and hand warmers. I crack the hand warmers open early, and let them warm the boot blankets up. Then put the boot blankets on as soon as I get to the stand. I just wear light wool socks and light weight hikers. I unlace them and keep them loose in the stand.

Granted, I’m not hunting -40 for 8 hours, but work well for me as cold as I want to hunt.

—Jim

09-Oct-19
I like my Klim snowmobile boots. Not bad to walk in and very warm and very lightweight.

11-Oct-19
Put a piece of foam on your stand platform to put your feet on and you won't believe the difference a little shield between you and the steel makes. And of course the Arctic Shield blankets are a must when it's seriously cold.

11-Oct-19
I'd recommend Cabela's Inferno boots. Super light. Great tread. VERY warm. I hunted wolf all day in northern Minnesota on a 2 degree day, did a ton of walking and did not have any issues with cold feet or the typical drag of wearing pack boots. Thanks to that judge in NY, I won't be able to use them for that again without going somewhere else. But, they do work GREAT for shoveling the driveway!

23-Oct-19
I ended up with the boot blankets as that was the fastest and cheapest option.

Non insulated Lowa (tibets maybe?) And a pair of lightweight Furst Lite socks have done great.

High 30's I brought a thicker pair of socks. Havent had to use the hand warmer trick just yet.

Nice part about the boot blankets is the bottom quiets the boot tread down to dang near nothing when I'm on stand

23-Oct-19
My camo crocs in my house in December.

24-Oct-19
Like JTreeman noted, you want to put the boot covers on as soon as you get into the stand, and not wait till your feet are chilled, otherwise they won’t do you any good.

24-Oct-19
Fit matters. I like my boots snug (supportive) for walking but that is too tight for best circulation when sitting. For a short walk in on fairly easy ground a pair that fits loosely with two pairs of socks AND 'toe warmers' works well. And during cold dry weather don't forget to stay hydrated. That helps circulation. (Yes you do get dehydrated in cold weather!)

24-Oct-19
re Dan V - " A simple tip I learned from my dad many years ago is to put your foot inside a plastic bag. Bread bags work well, then when your foot sweats it won't get the insulation in your boot wet."

It's called a 'vapor barrier lining' and it works well. Especially good with 'felt' boot liners or others that absorb moisture.

24-Oct-19
I wear my Muck boots, can't remember the model, all season here in NW Ohio. They can be hot early season. They ae fine by themselves mid season. When it gets cold I pull my Ice Breaker boot blankets on over top. I sometimes add toe warmers if need be.

24-Oct-19
I hunt in Canadian cold allot. If you want to stay warm in -0 - -30F cold get yourself a containment system type bag like an Iwom, heater body suit, warm bag something like that. You will be comfortable and warm from head to toe. still wear your warm boots and keep a piece of carpet between you and your stand. That and a hand muff with warmers in it and a bow hanger and you are set to sit from dark till dark in really cold temps. Good socks and anything made of Marino wool is a must.

24-Oct-19
Baffins are hard to beat. They aren't made for long walks but they are comfortable and warm.

25-Oct-19
I'm a big fan of pack boots with the thick felt inserts for winter treestand hunting. Even fall hunts in some areas...like Montana over Thanksgiving week...had mornings that were -15 degrees outside...very tough sitting a stand under these conditions. What you absolutely have to have, however, is two sets of felt liners for your pack boots. One to wear and one sitting on your boot dryer back home (camp/lodge) while you're hunting. At night when you are done hunting, remove the dry set of liners from the boot dryer and place the "empty" (think all liners removed) pack boots on the dryer overnight. Next morning, slip the dry liners that were last on the dryer into the warm pack boots and get out hunting. Place the damp liners from the previous day on the boot dryer so they can dry out during your hunt. Keep repeating this process each day...so you always have dry boots and a dry set of felt liners when you start each new hunting day...and your feet will be warm. That's my recipe for warm feet while treestand hunting in sub-zero weather...and this process has never let me down. The goal is to remove all the moisture from the boots and liners so they will insulate your feet properly. If they are damp...they will be cold no matter what. Give it a try...hopefully this will work for you too! Kevin

25-Oct-19
For stand hunting the warmest footwear you can get is Stegar Mukluks...just don't go walking through standing water with them...and for gosh sakes don't let your buddies catch you wearing them about town. Other than that there ain't nothing warmer, not even bunny boots!

25-Oct-19
South Farm, can you post a pic of what yours look like? There are so many variants. I’ve wanted some for years, and I don’t think I’d have a problem wearing them around town lol..bring out my inner injun

25-Oct-19
...If it's possible to walk through water then it's not cold enough to talk about the kind of footwear we need up here ;)

25-Oct-19
Will Stegar, the inventor, went on numerous polar expeditions...the main reason he started manufacturing this style mukluk...and yet they still encountered open water. I have been snowshoeing in dead of winter well below zero and still manage to find creek bottoms and marshy areas that refuse to freeze. Anyway, I digress.

M.Pauls, I have the Traditional Chocolate ones in regular height...they also come in "tall". Only suggestion I'd give, especially sitting motionless in a metal stand, get the extra wool insoles...makes a ton of difference! That and lace 'em loose so you don't impair your circulation and you'll have warm feet all day. Like wearing slippers and weigh about the same.

• Sitka Gear