Ambush 08-Oct-19
Mike Castillo 08-Oct-19
Thornton 08-Oct-19
Ambush 08-Oct-19
Jasper 09-Oct-19
standswittaknife 09-Oct-19
TrapperKayak 09-Oct-19
07-Oct-19
Got an email from a buddy who just returned from a hunt with Tuchodi River Outfitters. He killed an elk and had a few moose encounters but said the hunting was tough. We hunted together with TRO in 2011 and the amount of game was incredible. My buddy has hunted with numerous outfitters in that region and the word is that game populations are way down. I’m sure the grizzly ban is involved but what all is going on up there?

07-Oct-19
I don't think they'd notice a drastic difference in game populations this soon with regards to the Grizzly ban, they certainly will in a 4-6 year span I'd guess. How are they on harvesting wolves? Those guys can have a devastating effect on animal populations. Any bad weather patterns (winters) in that area the past few years?

07-Oct-19
The major factor in the Tuchodi, Muskwa, and Prophet River areas is wolves. Elk exploded, wolves exploded. Wolves worked their way through all the ungulates. Wolves are a huge problem in most of BC, coupled with saturated bear pops and increasing cougar numbers. Our management strategy is to wait for the pendulum to swing. It’s what the anti’s call “balance”.

It’s pathetic!!!

07-Oct-19
I have noticed a low population of moose anywhere I hunt in BC.

But I think that is just because moose hate me...

07-Oct-19
OR, you’re just a bad moose hunter Zack! ;)

07-Oct-19
On my northern BC moose hunt last month we saw a lot of moose. Over 40 in 12 days. I did not kill one for similar reasons that Kota and Zack have eluded to. We did see a bunch of bears as well as a pack of 6 wolves. That is my report for what it’s worth...

—Jim

08-Oct-19
My buddy just returned from BC...saw 15 different grizzlies and 10+ wolves...saw 1 bull moose...he and guide were charged by a grizzly...didn't hunt last 2 days because "it was not safe."

08-Oct-19
Looks like the Liberals may be successful at advancing predation to decrease the need for human recreational hunting. You all know this is the ultimate goal in many areas, such as Colorado.

08-Oct-19
Don't worry, as soon as one liberal is killed by a wolf or grizzly bear, they will be screaming like babies and predators will again be on the chopping block.

08-Oct-19
I was at Tuchodi in 2017 and we only saw one legal bull elk and one legal bull moose on our hunt. It was def slow hunting.

08-Oct-19
I was at Tuchodi too in 2017 and killed a great bull and saw hundreds of 5 and 6 point bull elk...Like most things sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't!

08-Oct-19
Let me give an example of game "management" in BC.

Caribou are in a state of steady decline in many areas.

Bio tells wildlife beaurocrat that we need to kill wolves.

Beaurocrat tells politician we need to kill wolves.

Politician freaks out and tells beaurocrat never to say that again, it upsets urban voters.

Beaurocrat tells bio, "no dice find another way".

So a plan is hatched to increase moose harvest, to reduce moose populations so the wolves will starve in the winter when they can't reach the caribou. I am not making this up!!!

Well crap!! The moose are gone and instead of all dieing the wolves just work harder at the caribou and learn elk as well.

And another big surprise. On three specific caribou herds where the Indians are on board with culling wolves these herds are increasing an average of fifteen percent per year. While the others continue to decline!!

Sounds like the answer is easy right?

It is, but don't ever say it again!

08-Oct-19
I will say I just got from SE BC on a goat hunt...beautiful elk country but very, very few elk. According to the outfitter the wolves ate them all. If I recall correctly, he said he hasn't heard a bull elk bugle in 3 years and as an outfitter spends all of September in the bush!

08-Oct-19
I heard the natives are killing too many moose up there and are very unregulated.

08-Oct-19
Thornton, that is very true, year around unregulated hunting and many cows shot. The Indians are untouchable. And wolves are almost untouchable.

09-Oct-19
What a shame! Unfortunately that’s what happens when you get politicians and liberals involved

09-Oct-19
was planning on moose in 2020 up in BC... May think differently now...

09-Oct-19
Good post Ambush. I've lived that scenario as a gov. F&W Biologist. No one in upper level gov. cares what the science says.

• Sitka Gear