midwest 27-Dec-22
t-roy 27-Dec-22
Shug 27-Dec-22
Bou'bound 27-Dec-22
t-roy 28-Dec-22
07-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
This story had it’s beginning a few years back. After reading several threads posted on here by some different bowsiters, about their amazing trips taken to Greenland for muskox, I added it to my bucket list for someday.

With 18 Wyoming moose points going into this year’s draw, my initial plan for a hunt this fall was to, hopefully, draw a moose tag. I’m right on the brink of drawing a moose tag, but was somewhat indecisive as to which unit to apply for, I decided to just buy another point and look at some other hunt to possibly do for this upcoming fall.

While walking through the aisles of vendors at the Iowa Deer Classic in early March, this board set up at a booking agent’s booth, caught my eye. I quizzed the booking agent a little bit about the hunt. After getting some info from him, I went home that night and immediately logged on to Bowsite and started researching Greenland muskox hunts and which outfitters got favorable or unfavorable marks. After rereading through a bunch of the threads, 2 names kept coming up with consistently high marks. Frank Feldman and Karsten Lings. Armed with this information, I went back to the Classic on Sunday and queried the booking agent as to who he booked his muskox hunts for. When he told me Karsten Lings, my eyes lit up and I said “tell me more!”

07-Oct-19
Alright, it's finally story time!!

07-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Long story short, I booked the muskox hunt with the agent for the last week in August, and figured since I’ll probably never be going back to Greenland again, I might as well spend a little extra coin, and try for a caribou while I’m there as well. The booking agent (Bob) and a good friend of his (Kenny) ended up going with me. Bob was only going to hunt caribou, as he had already taken a muskox with Karsten on the spring hunt the previous year. Kenny had tags for both muskox and caribou. They both ended up being great guys and a blast to share camp with, which made the trip even more enjoyable.

It’s a logistical PITA to get to Kangerlussuaq in Greenland from the states. I had to go through Copenhagen, Denmark to get there. I ended up flying from Des Moines to Chicago, where I met up with Bob and Kenny, then on to Copenhagen.

07-Oct-19
I love how this ends T-Roy! Congrats man...

07-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
We had to overnight in Copenhagen, before flying on to Kangerlussuaq. I spent that afternoon doing a little sightseeing in Copenhagen. It is a beautiful city!

07-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Kangerlussuaq International Airport
t-roy's embedded Photo
Kangerlussuaq International Airport
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
On to Kangerlussuaq. A couple of random pics. The first view of Greenland

07-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
The object of my affection was on full display when we walked into the airport in Kangerlussuaq.

07-Oct-19
Uh oh!! Tuning in for sure!

07-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Karsten picked us up at the airport shortly after our arrival and, thankfully, all of our gear made it without any difficulties or damage. We quickly loaded up our gear and headed to Karsten’s house to pick up a few things. While there, he showed us a few of his trophies, including these walrus tusks. Karsten was kind of quiet at first, but as we got to know him better, he opened up and was a pleasure to be around. He’s kind of a joker, with a pretty dry wit.

07-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Cap’n Karsten
t-roy's embedded Photo
Cap’n Karsten
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
We drove out of town a few miles to where they had a couple of boats tied up, loaded up our gear, and headed upriver to camp that was situated several more miles upstream.

07-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo

07-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Spotted our first ox on the horizon while heading to camp.

08-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
We got to camp, unloaded our gear, got my bow sight and quiver put back on, and shot a few arrows to make sure everything was kosher. All good!

Camp was very comfortable, with wall tents, cots with good mattresses, and heaters.

08-Oct-19
The stories are filing in... love it. Continue, sir...

08-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Bob and Kenny were both rifle hunting, and, as they were going to use Karsten’s rifle, there was no need for them to sight their weapons in. After we got all of our gear ready, we grabbed a quick bite to eat, hopped in the boats, and headed up the river. We hadn’t gone more than a few hundred yards, before we spotted a group of muskox up in the hills, a good distance away. Karsten determined that it looked to be a good bull with a small harem of cows and calves. We decided to get closer to determine if the bull was a shooter. After closing the distance considerably, Karsten confirmed that he was, indeed, a very nice bull. As I was the lone bowhunter, Kenny and Bob, both, very graciously, offered to let me go first.

After hoofing up and down the hills for a couple of miles, we all closed the distance to about 150 yards from the group, then Karsten and I snuck into about 75 yards before the cover ran out. The rut was going on, and we watched the bull dogging one of the cows around. They separated from the main group a little bit, and ended up in a spot a little more favorable for a stalk. While Karsten stayed back, I slowly crawled to within 40 yards of the pair.

I knocked an arrow and ranged the bull at 43 yards. He was now fairly broadside, with his chin resting on the cow’s rump. I drew, anchored, and the instant I released, he decided to try and mount the cow!

$h#*t! I hit him in front of his shoulder, up in the neck. He started dancing around, trying to figure out what just happened. I quickly nocked another arrow to try and finish him off. With the bull still hopping around, my second shot would have made TBM proud. I hit him squarely in the ham! Dammit! I finally made a good double lung hit on my third shot, and the bull expired quickly after that. It was definitely not a stellar shooting performance, to say the least, but the bull was down.

08-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
You can see the glacier in the background.
t-roy's embedded Photo
You can see the glacier in the background.
t-roy's embedded Photo
Beautiful backdrop for a pic
t-roy's embedded Photo
Beautiful backdrop for a pic
Musk ox are very cool animals. Almost prehistoric in a way.

08-Oct-19
Well, it's not an elk hunt, but whatever... ;-)

Troy, Maybe Karsten was so quiet because he couldn't get a word in edgewise? lol....congrats again buddy. Lovin the story and pics!

08-Oct-19
So lucky to be Americans and free to earn a great living and then chose to go on what ever hunts we desire and can afford. Thanks for representing all fellow bow hunters so well every day. U da man! C

08-Oct-19
Congrats ... is that all.. anymore to tell?

08-Oct-19
Congrats what an adventure!

08-Oct-19
I did not realize musk ox would succumb to pink fletching....... congrats Troy!

08-Oct-19
That's a STUD Troy. . . . I wandered about the empty-lookin' quiver when I first saw the pic :)

08-Oct-19
Nice! Congrats, man! Keep it coming!

08-Oct-19
Excellent! Great bull.

Did you ask your guide if he ever considered growing a plot of brassicas there? I hear they draw well when it gets colder. ;-)

08-Oct-19

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
I actually taught Karsten that Jersey Shore Fist Pump... Again congrats on a great adventure

08-Oct-19
Awesome. My first conversation with Karsten didn't go very well... it took him a while but he came around. My first words went something like this... "I didn't come all the way to fuking Greenland to go fishing." What an incredible life they live over there. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations. Ed F

08-Oct-19
Congratulations on a great ox! Keep it rolling T-toy!

08-Oct-19
Leave those whitetail alone and get typing Troy!!

08-Oct-19
Been watching for this ever since I got your text. Congrats again buddy!

08-Oct-19
Been waiting for this! Continue on!

08-Oct-19
Great write up Troy! Grats!

08-Oct-19
Congrats!!

08-Oct-19
Oh heck ya!! HOW DID I NOT KNOW YOU WERE GOING TO GREENLAND?!?! Loving it - keep it coming!

08-Oct-19
C'mon...quit teasing us, we KNOW there is more... :)

08-Oct-19
Congrats, awesome adventure so far. Let's get crackin' on the BOU part!

08-Oct-19
Congrats on the Musk OX.

I thought to hunt musk ox you needed enough clothes to look like the Pillsberry dough boy and need to be pulled around with dog sleds. It looks almost warm in those pictures.

08-Oct-19
A-N-T-I-C-I-P-A-T-I-O-N................

08-Oct-19
Troy... there’s lots of guys on here I don’t like for posting in dribs and drabs... you’re not one yet..

08-Oct-19
Troy congrats man! Glad you got one. I'll call you when the dust settles. This one's on my bucket list as well.

I'm fine with you not finishing your story. Between this and the Unit 10 CO Elk hunt story I have gotten nothing done at work today.

That Karsten looks like one tough SOB!

08-Oct-19
Excellent! Let's hear the rest!

08-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
Newest offering from Kifaru
t-roy's embedded Photo
Newest offering from Kifaru
t-roy's embedded Photo
Hollywood’s load
t-roy's embedded Photo
Hollywood’s load
t-roy's embedded Photo
Karsten’s load.
t-roy's embedded Photo
Karsten’s load.
Sorry it took so long to get back to this. I was in a meeting. (Negotiations are still ongoing from my previous meetings while I was in Greenland on my hunt, about our possible purchase of the country. Trump showed up late this morning)

After my bull was down, Kenny, Bob and Karsten’s son Lucas decided to head out to try to locate some new animals, leaving Karsten, Hollywood and myself to break down my bull and get him back to the boats. Hollywood is just learning the trade, and was a great kid. We nicknamed him that because of his sunglasses, plus his Inuit name was impossible for us to pronounce even after multiple attempts! There’s about 2 cups worth of phlegm involved trying to pronounce it.

After breaking down my animal, what I witnessed next was nothing short of amazing, to me at least! After gutting, caping and skinning the bull, they tied their version of a pack frame on both hind quarters, still attached to the pelvis, along with one front quarter, and put it on the back of Hollywood. The headband, that I believe was a piece of heavy canvas, was then put across his forehead. The remainder of the carcass, including the other front shoulder, was trussed up in the same manner, and loaded onto Karsten’s back. We then started back towards the boats that were probably close to 2 miles away. They wouldn’t let me carry anything other than my bow and Hollywood’s small daypack! These guys only stopped once to readjust the headbands, and that was only for a few seconds! These guys are some tuff dudes! The reason the pic of Karsten’s load is so far away, is he wouldn’t slow down long enough for me to catch up to him to get a better pic! They commented something about the only guy that they could remember being slower than me, was some guy they had in camp a couple years previous. I think they said he went by the name of SLUG, or perhaps SHUG, I believe;-)

08-Oct-19
Good Lord!

08-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
We made it to the boat and, after dumping his load, Karsten turned right around and headed back to get the head and hide to haul back.

08-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Whale skin stew
t-roy's embedded Photo
Whale skin stew
Kenny ended up killing a nice caribou the first afternoon as well (I don’t have any pics of his kill) and we finally got back to camp well after dark that evening. Karsten’s wife Hanne, had supper ready for us by the time we arrived, and we ate like kings. All of the food we had that week was delicious. Hanne cooked the first couple of days, then their daughter Vivie came to camp and cooked the remainder of the hunt, except one night Lucas did the cooking. We had several traditional dishes, including whale skin stew (beluga whale), a fish soup and caribou loins fixed a couple of different ways as well. We didn’t eat any muskox while in camp. The rut was on and Karsten said the meat is not that good during that time, but I did have a muskox burger at the airport restaurant a couple of times, and it was very good as well.

08-Oct-19
“Musk ox are very cool animals. Almost prehistoric in a way.”

Nothin’ “almost” about it!

08-Oct-19
Congrats on the bull and caribou guys ,

08-Oct-19
t-roy, a buddy of mine that also did this hunt said the amount of weight those guys carried was crazy. He said the one load was over 250 lbs.

08-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
Caribou. I forgot to take the pic before I ate part of it!
t-roy's embedded Photo
Caribou. I forgot to take the pic before I ate part of it!

08-Oct-19
Great start! Waiting for the rest....

08-Oct-19
Congrats T-Roy! Sounds like it was a heck of a good hunt. I know Will is kicking himself about now as he reads this. Can’t wait for the rest of the story.

08-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Hard to see, but there are several muskox below and to the right of the waterfall.
t-roy's embedded Photo
Hard to see, but there are several muskox below and to the right of the waterfall.
t-roy's embedded Photo
The glacier that fed the river is in the background.
t-roy's embedded Photo
The glacier that fed the river is in the background.
t-roy's embedded Photo
The mountain that we spotted the 4 big bulls on.
t-roy's embedded Photo
The mountain that we spotted the 4 big bulls on.
After a good night’s rest, we got up early for breakfast, threw together a couple of sandwiches and a few snacks in our packs for lunch, grabbed our gear, hopped in the boats, and motored upriver, glassing for game along the way. The glacial river levels had been dropping for the past couple of weeks, making it difficult to get upstream far enough to get to some of their better spots without having to hike lots of extra miles. We got grounded several times on the submerged sand bars, and had to get out and push the boats into a little deeper water. (Where is “global warming” when we need it!) After fighting our way up as far as we could go, we finally resigned ourselves to the fact that we were just going to have to hike back in a bit further to get to the better spots, caribou especially.

We covered a bunch of miles the second day, and saw quite a lot of muskox, but the caribou were a bit spotty, only seeing a few small bulls and a bunch of cows and calves until later in the day. Finally, we spotted 4 really nice bulls feeding together partway up on a mountain slope. They problem was, they had a bunch of cows, calves, and a few smaller bulls feeding below them, right in the way of our potential stalking route. We watched them for approximately 45 minutes, and we finally decided that we could possibly get in front of them as they worked their way across the mountain. We would have to go around a big lake that was between us and them to get where we needed to be.

08-Oct-19
Good story Troy, and congrats on the musk ox. Waiting on the rest........

08-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
Pic of Kenny and Bob. Bob’s on the right.
t-roy's embedded Photo
Pic of Kenny and Bob. Bob’s on the right.
We started working our way around the lake, and as we crested a hill partway to our destination, Karsten suddenly crouched down and motioned that there were caribou below us, including a couple of good bulls in the group.

I should mention that the entire time we were looking for caribou on the second day, I was under the assumption that Bob was up to bat, as it was his turn. We determined that one bull was definitely a shooter, and I got ready to watch Bob kill his caribou. Bob looked at me and said “go get him!” I told him that it was his turn, but he said that he had plenty of time with the rifle, and these bulls were in a potentially very good location to make a stalk to get within bow range. Bob was very selfless on this hunt, and I was very appreciative to him for that!

So, while the rest of the group stayed back, Karsten and I worked our way around the side of the hill to figure out a plan of attack. We soon spotted both bulls feeding away from us, heading for a swale with a ridge running parallel with it, however, we had been spotted by a cow that was eyeballing us. She wasn’t quite sure what we were, so she would trot off a few steps, then stop and turn around to check us out again. After a few rounds of this, she finally decided that we were no threat and went back to feeding. By this time, both bulls had disappeared behind the ridge. Finally, the cow worked her way over the ridge as well, so I made my move. I quickly made my way to where I hoped the bulls had fed to, and slowly peeked over the ridge with an arrow nocked, to try and relocate them. Immediately, I spotted antler tops directly in front of me. The larger of the 2 bulls was feeding directly towards me at 30 yards! With his head still down, I drew back and waited, hoping he would turn broadside and give me a shot. At less than 20 yards, he finally lifted his head and spotted me. He quickly bolted and ran straight away from me, but only ran about 15-20 yards before stopping and looking back, quartering to me slightly. BIG mistake!

I guessed him at 35 yards and took the shot, hitting him tight behind his left shoulder and exiting about mid body on his right side. At the hit, he wheeled and raced to my left, before turning and running back to my right, heading straight towards a pond. I thought he was going to end up just like the moose I killed in Alaska, dying out in the middle of the water! Thankfully, he didn’t quite make it, plowing to a stop in the mud right at the water’s edge. A much better shooting display than on the muskox!

08-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Here’s where he ended up.

08-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
The three Amigos
t-roy's embedded Photo
The three Amigos
t-roy's embedded Photo
Lucas, myself, Hollywood and Karsten
t-roy's embedded Photo
Lucas, myself, Hollywood and Karsten
Everything worked out perfectly on that stalk, which is usually not the case for me! We got him dragged him out of the mud, cleaned him up a bit, and took a bunch of pics before getting him ready for the long trek back to the boats.

Notice the full quiver of arrows in the bow ;-)

08-Oct-19
Very cool stuff

08-Oct-19
AWESOME! Congrats man. The 2nd pic of the 'bou is spectacular. I'd blow that up, frame it, and hang it on the wall!

08-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
We saw quite a bit of this shed qiviut hanging in the brush. It gets pulled off the muskox’s hair as they walk through it.
t-roy's embedded Photo
We saw quite a bit of this shed qiviut hanging in the brush. It gets pulled off the muskox’s hair as they walk through it.
t-roy's embedded Photo
The perfect end to another awesome day!
t-roy's embedded Photo
The perfect end to another awesome day!
After taking pics and prepping the caribou for the hike back to the boats, we headed out on the 4 mile trip, packing the caribou in similar fashion as the muskox, other than much less weight.

08-Oct-19
Awesome! Congratulations!

09-Oct-19
That sure looks like a fun hunt to me! How was the ground to walk on, soft and spongy? Congrats and thanks for posting!

09-Oct-19
Thanks for the comments, guys....except for your’s Nick! I was going to make this thread debate free, however, I would probably lose the argument of your point! ;-)

bowhunter24..... most of it was pretty solid and easy to walk on, but some areas were spongy, but still not difficult to navigate at all.

09-Oct-19
Thanks for sharing your adventure. I really enjoyed reading about it.

09-Oct-19
Congrats Troy! Adventure of a lifetime for sure! Thanks for posting the hunt recap and great photos!

09-Oct-19
WoW!!

Couple of Dandy Trophies right there.

Congrats young fella

Good luck, Robb

09-Oct-19
Congratulations! Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for taking the time to share.

09-Oct-19
Great hunt, story and pics.

There is something real about the story telling format Bowsite affords us. Kinda makes us feel like we were there! Thx again for taking us along. C

09-Oct-19
Congrats Troy!!

09-Oct-19
Awesome Troy! Congrats

09-Oct-19
Great story Troy. Thanks for sharing your hunt.

09-Oct-19
t-roy, that was a great adventure, thanks for sharing it with us. I am most amazed at those guys packing out that bull on their backs...three bone-in quarters on one load!!! Crikey!

09-Oct-19
Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for taking us along!

09-Oct-19
Awesome stuff t-roy! Congrats on both critters!

09-Oct-19
Epic adventure, big Congrats, Troy!

09-Oct-19
Congrats Troy!! Greenland is a special place and a lot of fun!

09-Oct-19
Troy, what incredible beautiful county side of a very different kind. Your story will surely inspire others to take on the same hunting challenge. Nicely done with pictures and words.

What is the chance that your two guide/packers would come to Colorado for my next successful elk hunt, and help in the pack out? :) my best, Paul

09-Oct-19
Awesome trip, congrats

09-Oct-19
Great stuff...thanks, Troy!

09-Oct-19
Great write-up Troy!

09-Oct-19
Great report and pics. I've been considering Greenland hard. You may have pushed me over the edge. :)

09-Oct-19
Great photos, Troy! Congratulations!

09-Oct-19
Awesome stuff!!! That's a hell of an adventure. Congrats!

09-Oct-19
Great stuff, it sounds like its an action packed hunt in a target rich environment.

09-Oct-19
Awesome! What a great hunt!

Definitely a bucket list hunt for me.

09-Oct-19
Congrats again buddy!

09-Oct-19
Way to get it done, Troy! Great story.

09-Oct-19
Really enjoyed it Troy! Congrats and thanks for taking us along

09-Oct-19
Sounds like you had a couple of great guys to share camp with. Very generous of them to give you first crack at both animals.

09-Oct-19
Awesome hunt! Congrats!!!

09-Oct-19
Spectacular story. Unreal place. Adventure. You did well!!!

09-Oct-19
Well told!

Damn good work there Troy! Spectacular and very special trophies for sure!

Congratulations!

09-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
Kenny’s bull
t-roy's embedded Photo
Kenny’s bull
t-roy's embedded Photo
Side view of his bull
t-roy's embedded Photo
Side view of his bull
t-roy's embedded Photo
Attack rabbit. Now I know how Jimmy Carter felt!
t-roy's embedded Photo
Attack rabbit. Now I know how Jimmy Carter felt!
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Paul.....I think you would have fit right in with those guys!l

I’ll add a few more details and pics of my hunt. We walked close to 22 miles total, on the day I killed my caribou, so we all slept in a bit on the third morning. We had spotted a big group of muskox basically, right above camp, when we were across the river on the second day. We hiked up into the hills and, after only a half mile or so, we found the herd, not too far from where we had first spotted them, and there was a nice bull in the group. Kenny and Karsten slipped up to within 100 yards and waited for the bull to turn broadside. The bull finally turned and Kenny shot him in the shoulder, breaking it. He ended up having shoot his bull 3 more times before he finally went down. Every shot was very well placed IMO. They can be some tuff critters!

We saw several white hares while hunting. They really stood out in the brush. These hares do not change colors from summer to winter, which was very surprising to me. This guy showed up while we were breaking Kenny’s bull down. He ended up running right through the middle of us, less than a couple of feet away!

09-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
I even worked in an obligatory “boots” shot!
t-roy's embedded Photo
I even worked in an obligatory “boots” shot!
t-roy's embedded Photo
Lunch!
t-roy's embedded Photo
Lunch!
With Kenny and myself both tagged out, it was Bob’s turn. We got Kenny’s bull back to camp by early afternoon, and we just hung around camp the rest of the day. We got going early on the fourth day to see if we could find a good bou for Bob. Again, the river prevented us from going very far upstream, so it was back to hoofing it. We covered a bunch of ground that morning and into the afternoon, stopping often to glass and eat a bite or two.

09-Oct-19
Awesome adventure, congrats on the animals!

09-Oct-19
I appreciate tagging along on your adventure Troy, you did good !

09-Oct-19
Spectacular . Thanks for posting and lighting a fire in me. Congrats again. Hunt

09-Oct-19
Awesome that you all got to hunt as a team and take part in each others hunts! Makes for a full adventure! Are you saving that cool skull pic for the wind up?

Heck of an adventure for a unique creature in a very different landscape. Not many hunters can make that claim. Congrats again!

09-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
Not sure what this is. Cotton grass possibly?
t-roy's embedded Photo
Not sure what this is. Cotton grass possibly?
t-roy's embedded Photo
Shed hunting paradise up there!
t-roy's embedded Photo
Shed hunting paradise up there!
t-roy's embedded Photo
We could have easily picked up over 100 sheds.
t-roy's embedded Photo
We could have easily picked up over 100 sheds.
It was crazy the number of shed antlers we saw while hiking. My shed hunting buddy in Iowa would have been in heaven!

Several decent bulls were spotted this day, just not anything that Bob wanted to put his tag on. Late in the afternoon, we started back towards the river to eventually head back to camp. With less than a mile to go before we reached the boats, Bob spotted a good bull feeding up on the hillside across the small valley from our location. He quickly dropped his pack to use as a rest, and readied himself for the 250 yard shot at the walking bull. The bull stopped for just a moment and Bob shot, dropping the bull instantly.

09-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
Bob’s bull
t-roy's embedded Photo
Bob’s bull
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Had to pack Bob’s caribou across the desert!
t-roy's embedded Photo
Had to pack Bob’s caribou across the desert!
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
We were all officially tagged out! It worked perfectly that Bob killed his bull fairly close to the boat as well.

09-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
Jack-o-lantern.......Greenland style
t-roy's embedded Photo
Jack-o-lantern.......Greenland style
Here ya go, Rod!

I took a pic of my muskox skull with the flash on my phone, and totally did not expect this result. Turned out pretty cool, IMO.

09-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Here’s some random pics of the hunt.

10-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
Karsten’s son, Lucas (Aqqa)
t-roy's embedded Photo
Karsten’s son, Lucas (Aqqa)
t-roy's embedded Photo
Karsten’s daughter, Vivie.
t-roy's embedded Photo
Karsten’s daughter, Vivie.
t-roy's embedded Photo
Karsten’s wife, Hanne.
t-roy's embedded Photo
Karsten’s wife, Hanne.
Karsten’s crew. What a great bunch of people to share camp with!

10-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Forgot Hollywood! He was eyeballing my P&Y Kuiu hat the entire hunt, so I traded him my hat for his. I got the short end of the deal! It was a Nike Air hat, and a flat brim to boot :-( He was a great kid as well.

10-Oct-19
Awesome trip, t-roy! Thanks for the great pics and story. Congrats!!

10-Oct-19
Congrats, Troy!! Awesome hunt and story!!

11-Oct-19
Awesome hunt t-roy! Great pics and story telling! I see you did leave out the part about stealing the girl’s ice cream cone and having to leave the country! Greenland was a good choice! Ha! Congrats my friend! Beautiful trophies!

11-Oct-19
U da man!

11-Oct-19
A credit to your story and others like it, is that they always make me wanna go!

Congrats again!

12-Oct-19
Good stuff !!

12-Oct-19
Great thread and hunt Troy! Finally got through it and really enjoyed it my friend. Well done:)

12-Oct-19
What a great adventure! Thanks for sharing! Congratulations!!

12-Oct-19

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Greenland National Forest. Karsten said they’ve got another 15 trees ordered! ;-)
t-roy's embedded Photo
Greenland National Forest. Karsten said they’ve got another 15 trees ordered! ;-)
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Technically, it was gelato, Brotsky, and you know my motto “What happens in Kangerlussuaq “......

Thanks again guys. It was an amazing trip, and if you’re contemplating on going, I would highly recommend doing it. If you do decide to go, I can’t recommend Karsten’s outfit highly enough. There were some other hunters that I spoke with at the airport, and there were quite a few different guys that hunted with a few other outfits, that didn’t have nearly as good experiences as we did.

Here’s some more pics.

12-Oct-19
Congrats

12-Oct-19
Excellent!

12-Oct-19
Lots of good pics in this thread Troy. Most enjoyable !

12-Oct-19
Thanks for posting such a great story Troy. Nice bucket list accomplishment!

15-Oct-19
Such an amazing place and adventure. Congrats!

15-Oct-19
Trip of a lifetime right there! Congrats!

15-Oct-19
That’s awesome Troy!! On my bucket list, maybe sooner after reading this thread!

15-Oct-19
Great hunt and recap Troy! Thanks for sharing...

15-Oct-19
Greenland. Go. Now. Period.

15-Oct-19
Karsten is the man. Congrats on a great adventure

17-Oct-19
Every once in a while you meet someone and think “they are my kinda people” Troy is one of those guys. Congrats on a great trip Troy. Pretty dam cool

17-Oct-19
I need to put this in the books. Thanks for sharing buddy and congrats

19-Oct-19

20-Oct-19
Very nice! Awesome adventure! Thanks for sharing.....!

21-Oct-19
Great job, Troy!

26-Dec-22

26-Dec-22
And another one. Thank you

26-Dec-22
What a wonderful adventure!

26-Dec-22
Congratulations on the hunts and the memories

27-Dec-22
Troy, I am not sure how I missed this the first time but congrats on another successful adventure. Great story and photos, thank you for sharing!!!

27-Dec-22
Really Cool

27-Dec-22
Mr t-roy Great write up, great hunt I attempted to book a hunt for 2023 through Bob. We talked a few times & he was fairly sure he would be able to get me booked in 2023, but he failed to get back to me. I emailed him a few weeks ago & he told me he'd get back to me in a few days. No response again. He told me the reason he didn't get back to me was because he didn't have cell service (For several months??). So, I contacted the outfitter (Karsten) directly. He told me he was all booked up for the 2023 season. I wish I contacted the outfitter months ago instead of trying to book via Bob. Lessons learned....

27-Dec-22
Troy, this was just as good as the first time I read it. I’m old though and my memory fails me……….;-)

27-Dec-22
Super! Missed this one first time around. What an incredible adventure. Thanks for the repost, glad to catch it.

27-Dec-22
Troy, you've done a bunch of big adventure hunts. How would you rate this one?

27-Dec-22
Sorry you didn’t have the same experience that I did with Bob, c5ken. That’s surprising that Bob seems to have dropped the ball in your case. I had a couple of other guys that PMed me about this hunt, and went through Bob, and they were very happy with their dealings with him. Not doubting you, just surprised.

Nick………..it’s pretty high on my list. It wasn’t an extreme, physically exhausting, type of hunt (but it wasn’t a cakewalk, either) The unique terrain, along with how both stalks went down, added tremendously, to the enjoyment and satisfaction of the entire experience. I’m not the most stealthy individual on the planet, so anytime I can execute a successful stalk and close the deal, moves the needle for me a good bit.

27-Dec-22
Still a Bowsite classic…

27-Dec-22
Troy how far were your shots

28-Dec-22
35yds on the bou, Bou.

On the muskox, the first shot was a tad over 40, the other 2 shots were 50ish.

• Sitka Gear