HUNT MAN 22-Oct-19
Cazador 22-Oct-19
t-roy 22-Oct-19
Zackman 22-Oct-19
bigeasygator 22-Oct-19
JTreeman 22-Oct-19
'Ike' (Phone) 22-Oct-19
08-Oct-19
Post up...Who’s heading to Kodiak this fall? I’ll miss this year, but hope to get back soon. The best adventure hunt dollar for dollar in North America!

08-Oct-19
T-minus 10 days for me. Fly out next Friday. Can't wait, 2nd time.

08-Oct-19

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
Oh how I love that place !! Hope to get back ASAP .

08-Oct-19
I’ll be taking my bowhiking skills there with a few other Bowsiters this year :-)

08-Oct-19
BIgeasy—be careful, “skills” may be an exaggeration. Even In he hiking department. But I’ll carry your bow if you want. I’m guaranteed to shoot first then! ;)

—jim

08-Oct-19
You guys are gonna have a blast...

08-Oct-19
Kota, I predict it’s not gonna suck...even if we never leave the boat haha

08-Oct-19
Nov 8th with some good buddies, the deer are in serious trouble I know that! Should be a great year there.

08-Oct-19
Looking forward to another trip to Kodiak this November. Taking a bunch of P&Y/Bowsite boys with me this year for another adventure. Always love that island. It’s my favorite hunt!!!

Had a guy back out on us last minute so we are actually looking to fill his spot....

08-Oct-19
I’d go if I wasn’t trying to “slow down”... ;)

08-Oct-19
Slow down?? What kinda nonsense is that, kota!

08-Oct-19
Kota will never slow down. But I just dragged him up there last year for #29, so he has a couple years before I make him come back with me

08-Oct-19
You won’t let me come back for a couple years?????

08-Oct-19
You can come any time Kota. I can’t wait to be a part of half of your second 29!!!

09-Oct-19
That’d be a trip right there...

09-Oct-19
At the top of my bucket list! Can’t wait to follow along!

09-Oct-19
Was there for awhile in August and I'm going back next Tuesday. Look out deer!

09-Oct-19

kota-man's embedded Photo
Great day on the Island!
Great day on the Island!
Kodiak Legend

09-Oct-19
Zack needs another mohawk/buzz. :)

09-Oct-19

badlander's embedded Photo
badlander's embedded Photo
I went last year. My favorite trip I've ever been on and its not even close. It rained every day, and I stopped counting on day 3 when I hit 20 grizzly bears including one that I stumbled in to in the brush at 20y on the way up. If it wasn't for having to work, I'd go back tomorrow.

If you're on a boat and you have time, drop a line in. Also, I wish i'd have taken 1 morning to chase sea ducks. One of our guys did and shot a limit of harlequin. Oh well, just one more reason to go back!

09-Oct-19
What is a current ball park price from the lower 48 for this trip with tags for 2 deer? Either boat (I am sure the most expensive) or cabin or tent hunt (prefer not a tent). I did it in 2004 but had frequent flier miles for airfare and I am sure prices were a lot cheaper. I probably spent $2000 for everything including float plane and cabin although not airfare.

09-Oct-19
$160 - hunting License

$300 per deer tag (can get 3)

Beaver flight from Kodiak to far south end (1200lbs total weight) is roughly $1500 each way (so it would be cheaper the closer to Kodiak you end up going, typically). This is total cost, so if you're going with others you can split it amongst yourselves.

Airfare to Kodiak from your location in the L48.

Food

I think boat hunts run between $2500 and $3500 per person.

I'd do a tent long before I did a cabin only because the areas that have cabins are typically hunted a bit more and I enjoy hunting in an area that is somewhat fresh.

09-Oct-19

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
I went in September... lots of deer. Lots of bears... we lost 2 deer to bears and they were within 100 yards of camp everyday. Electric fence did work... at least once. I only shot one round out of my pistol. Have fun... the best deer hunt on the planet. Ed F

09-Oct-19
Thanks Nick

09-Oct-19
Ed just cleared at least 75% of the guys thinking about doing a tent camp. lol

09-Oct-19

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
A tent camp is not as bad as it sounds, folks... If you're headed to Kodiak, you're going to see bears, you're going to have encounters with bears, it's going to happen. Knowing how to deal with them and giving them constant respect is the key, but I wouldn't let that dissuade you from hunting there. Like Ed said, it's the best deer hunt on the planet and like Cory said, best bang for your buck, dollar for dollar in all of North America for a true adventure hunt that boasts high success!

09-Oct-19

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
100%... wouldn't do it any other way. It's an adventure. Nick nailed down the costs pretty good. I'd add a little bit of time in Kodiak and hotel stays on each end. Henrys, Kodiak Brewery.... can add up too. Already planning the return trip. Ed F

09-Oct-19

Kodiak Brew Co is mandatory but my favorite is Olds River Brewing if you have a vehicle to get out there!

09-Oct-19

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo
A must visit, if I’m your Kodiak tour guide

09-Oct-19
I can practically taste the beer...one...more...month...

09-Oct-19

A must is a understatement !!

09-Oct-19

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
A to go box... the Spruce Tip IPA has a place in my heart... smells like Christmas. Ed F

09-Oct-19

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
A to go box... the Spruce Tip IPA has a place in my heart... smells like Christmas. Ed F

09-Oct-19

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
Every few years for the rest of my life

09-Oct-19
Sounds like a terrible time!??

09-Oct-19
You would hate It!! Just hate it!!

09-Oct-19
Spruce Tip is one of my favorite IPA’s Ed...Dang, I wish I was going this year!

09-Oct-19
That place sounds terrible. I sure hope I never get asked to join in on one of these trips...

09-Oct-19
You could go in November Scoot! I think they’re still looking for someone!

09-Oct-19

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo
Last year’s cast of characters

09-Oct-19

Happy boat!
Happy boat!
Zack provided the “before”...Here is the “after”...

09-Oct-19
Zack, what dates. My wife has an elk hunt the first week of November but I’m drooling at the opportunity for kodiak!!!

09-Oct-19
Kota, I'd love to, but this year is out for me. Sep elk, Oct muleys, Nov white tail, Dec muleys, and Jan barbary sheep. I'd come home to changed locks if I thought about adding something.

09-Oct-19
Ok......... I guess I’ll break the bad news to you guys contemplating this opening. I called Zack last night and told him I’d take the spot. This hunt has been on my radar for several years. Extremely hard for me to leave Iowa in mid-November, but hopefully I’ll be able to get in 2.5-3 weeks before we head up to Kodiak. Super stoked about this hunt!

YOU OWE ME A BEER—OR THREE, TREEMAN!!!

09-Oct-19
What a crew. You guys are gonna have a blast. Good luck everyone.

10-Oct-19
Good for you, T! No doubt you're going to have a great time! This one is on my radar too. Hopefully in the next few years.

10-Oct-19
Wait a minute! Treeman buys people beers?! He's never bought me one!

10-Oct-19
Troy, you are going to have a blast!! Until next year for me...

10-Oct-19
I'll keep an eye on the place for you, Troy. ;-)

10-Oct-19
Is the week of Nov 15 to late to do this hunt and still have rut activity?

10-Oct-19
Should be just fine Gene!

10-Oct-19
Motley Crew for sure. I have to wait TWO more years :(

10-Oct-19
Where's Matt, thought he was on that one also...

10-Oct-19
Matt is banned from Kodiak! He drank too much of the booze at Henry’s

10-Oct-19
Ohhh, that makes sense...He didn't do the table dance thing did he?!? Lol

10-Oct-19
I did not see Matt do table dance last year. I did hear rumors from previous years.... I think there's a clause in the hunt contacts that clearly states ' What happens on Kodiak...'I'm going back in '21. Looking for a few more guys to fill the boat. PM me if you're interested.

10-Oct-19
You guys kill me. I'm not allowed to hunt there without a guide.

10-Oct-19
Nick, I think I bought you a beer at the bowsite meet and greet at p&y this year. Just ask Pat ;)

—Jim

10-Oct-19
I appreciate the the offer midwest! Just be sure and get there early. The best parking spots fill up quickly ;-)

10-Oct-19
Midwest, I'l save a spot behind me. Just look for a maroon Ram with MN plates in the lot.

10-Oct-19
With those plates, you’ll blend right in with all the squirrel hunting Hmongs from the Twin Cities, scoot!

11-Oct-19

Shrewski's embedded Photo
Shrewski's embedded Photo
Lots of good advice in this thread. November is a much better time to get stuck in town for weather. Rooms that were $329 in the summer are $89. We came in from the field early a couple years ago to avoid ANOTHER hurricane and spent Thanksgiving morning drinking Baileys and coffee watching a typical Detroit Lions loss at 8 am and having a great turkey dinner with our pilot and his family. Kodiak is my absolute favorite place.

11-Oct-19

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
One more thing to consider when planning a hunt to Kodiak is deer numbers. Right now the conditions are prime. We had a couple 50+ buck days. Too many deer sometimes. Quit procrastinating... they are one bad winter away from it being just a deer hunt. Ed F

11-Oct-19
Ed nailed it. I was not originally going to go to Kodiak again this year, but after another mild winter this past year, I had to go. Whitetails can wait for another year!!!!

11-Oct-19
I'm hoping for 2 more mild winters!

11-Oct-19
would love to go back and hunt deer. I need to talk to Ed. about his tent hunt!!

12-Oct-19
If I ordered a Coor’s Lite at the Kodiak Brew Company, would that be considered being “that guy”?!!

12-Oct-19
"If I ordered a Coor’s Lite at the Kodiak Brew Company, would that be considered being “that guy”?!! ".....No, you would be "That Girl"!

12-Oct-19
Now that was funny!

—Jim

12-Oct-19
There's a time and a place for Coors Lite. The place is nowhere. The time... is never.

Except when there's only Bud Lite and Coors Lite around... Then it goes like this:

"Hey Ike, you want a Coors Lite?"

"Hell yeah I want a Coors Lite!"

I wanted to go to Kodiak this year, but dad spent 3 points on an Iowa deer tag, so that's where I'm headed this November. Maybe next year.

Oh, and Treeman bought me a beer in New Mexico...

12-Oct-19
Can’t wait to do this ..

13-Oct-19
I’m about a week and a half out. 4 goat tags, 6 deer tags, and a brown bear tag between the two of us. Should be a fun two weeks :)

13-Oct-19
This is something Ive considered. Any recommendations on where to get started putting something like this together ??

13-Oct-19
Ike, as I recall your choices for that beer were Coors Lite and Bud Lite. :)

—Jim

13-Oct-19
Between Jim’s near miss on sheep and Kyle’s super slam, I’ve already committed to the first round. Jim, you can grab the second round!

21-Oct-19
This thread made me do it...I'm now on the list of those going this year.

21-Oct-19
Good for you Gene! I always love being responsible for someone else spending money... :) Gives me that sense of accomplishment...

21-Oct-19
This is one I really, really want to do! What a great group of guys going, hopefully more memories are made than lost! Ha!

21-Oct-19
I don't know if I'd trust the advice from a guy watching a Michigan St./Rutgers game! ;-)

21-Oct-19
This is a great opportunity .........

...... to buy shares in Alaskan breweries!!!

Apauls, Canada's "Kodiak" is just off the coast of BC and no grizzlies. Something could be arranged.

And Troy, I'd be happy to go stop one of those "not there yet" bucks from using up trail cam batteries on you.

21-Oct-19
Gotta buddy that's taking off for Kodiak tomorrow. Envious! :-)

21-Oct-19
T-minus 25 days and counting...

21-Oct-19
Have you guys been working on your Kodiak prep? You know, building up your alcohol tolerance...

21-Oct-19
I’m working on building up my Treeman tolerance (I’ve been listening to old Morton Downy Jr talkshows on YouTube)........One step at a time, Zack.

Ambush. Get in touch with midwest and scoot. Maybe you guys could carpool!

22-Oct-19
Been hitting it hard, Zack. Put in a week at Oktoberfest in Munich and been ramping things up back at home. It’s not as easy as it was in my younger days, but I’m working hard to get in Sheep Show Shape. #keephammering

22-Oct-19
FWIW....I been to Kodiak a few times. The last time was around 2010. At that time the road system tag allotment was 1 buck tag and then off the road system it was 3 buck tags. Is it still the same? The usual bear precautions have to be followed. The last time I was there a couple of guys at one of the USFS cabins on the north side made the mistake of dragging a deer back to the cabin. A sow and cubs cut the drag track and followed it to the hunter. My CG helo buds there had to medivac him out.

22-Oct-19
BEG, you used the wrong hashtag #keephammered :-)

t-roy, when your mrs. was talking about island vacations I'm not sure these were the "islands" she was talking about but I like your style!

22-Oct-19
Damn, you're right Brotsky! We need some hats made up...

22-Oct-19

Won't be too much longer now for a few of us, hope the weather improves! Trevor, hoping you can find a bear big enough to produce piles similar to these!

22-Oct-19
If I see a bear up there, I’m betting that I could match those piles, Nick!

22-Oct-19
Only time Kodiak suffers a Alcohol shortage, when the BowSite boys show up...

22-Oct-19
Troy, hard to imagine you won't see a bear, so please take photos of the aftermath! ha

22-Oct-19
I was trying to figure out which pile was the bear’s and which was Nick’s.

22-Oct-19
Nick likes a clean break. No check wipe needed on those two .

Troy you will see a bear . Most likely a big one. Just be smart and stay out if the alders !!

22-Oct-19
Those look like the piles in all the broken latrines back in the day after the artillery guys came in from the field. A month of MREs will do that. Sounds like a killer trip is in store.

22-Oct-19
I’m actually looking forward to possibly seeing a brownie......from a distance.

22-Oct-19
Haven’t had anyone eaten...yet

22-Oct-19
Had to throw in the “yet” at the end, didn’t you, Zack? Anyone know how fast Treeman can run?? I gotta train to run just a little bit faster!

He texted me earlier and said “Bears are afraid of me!” I feel like he’s just taunting them at this stage!

22-Oct-19
Unfortunately I failed to mention that only black bears are afraid of me...

—Jim

22-Oct-19
The one smeared in bacon grease is usually the one that has to worry the most...

• Sitka Gear