SlipShot 09-Oct-19
Spiral Horn 09-Oct-19
Spiral Horn 09-Oct-19
IdyllwildArcher 09-Oct-19
BTM 10-Oct-19
South Farm 10-Oct-19
YZF-88 10-Oct-19
09-Oct-19
Ever have that one guy in camp that makes camp miserable, hes not seeing deer, bob always gets the best stands, my steak in burnt, man this weather sucks, that guy, Just had one in camp and it was the second time this year I have had this issue, I asked him to leave, everything else was going great. he just was a negative AHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!

09-Oct-19
Every hunt! Because that guy is me!!!!! ;)

—Jim

09-Oct-19
The last time it was Kia. Man she can be miserable if she doesn’t get her Sonic! Sorry you had to deal with that ZK! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

09-Oct-19
Ill hunt with KIa anyday, it was that other guy!!!!!!!!! lol

09-Oct-19
LOL Brotsky, maybe we should here Kia's side

09-Oct-19
I’ve been in a few camps with “that guy”. Some people are just sad dogs and want to make others sad. Usually everyone else knows what’s going on so ignoring him and being positive always has its rewards.

09-Oct-19
Every time I asked a guide who's the biggest jerk he ever guided, his response was always the same: "Besides you?" Therefore, I stopped asking that question. :)

09-Oct-19
We had a guy now deceased ,who was" that guy". He was my Dad's first cousins buddy ,so he was always invited . Complete opposite of cousin too. One fly in fishing trip ,I was the grocery buyer and set up trip. Last night we settled up on the grocery bill. Was $40 per man . Ate like kings for the week. He told cousin he wasn't going with me ,if I bought griceries, thought it was too expensive. Cousin usually bought groceries and only charged him $15 as cousin knew guy would always complain. Out fish him or catch larger fish ,he would pout.

Deer hunted my cousins property in Michigan. "That guy" always had to have the best stand . One year we had numerous doe block permits, he shot 5 does. The day we were leaving ,as we loaded up does to bring home ,he said he didn't want any . That was my last trip with him.

09-Oct-19
I keep hearing "there's always that one guy" but when I'm in camp I can never figure out who it is. Must be a myth.

09-Oct-19
Every tank needs a catfish.

09-Oct-19
I tend to be pretty selective over who I share my camp with, so I don't have to deal with "that guy".

Matt

09-Oct-19
Some guys can brighten up a room just by leaving it.

09-Oct-19
I knew going into a trip a couple of years ago that there would be one in our group as I had heard many stories about him previously and I almost cancelled my hunt.

Made a plan to just ignore him and do my own thing as much as possible. He was so obnoxious that that plan went out the window and I lost it and went off on him at least twice during the trip. That really pissed me off that I had let him get to me and I could not just ignore it, so I guess he won as I blew up.

09-Oct-19
I have a hard time being around negative people and people who never take the opportunity to be quiet for a little while. It’s nice when you can choose who you hunt with, sometimes you can’t. I don’t understand negative people

09-Oct-19
Those guys can be fun to torture too. Let everyone else in on it and announce, "Of course you guys all know I'm HIV positive right." Then proceed to touch all kinds of stuff and especially keep tasting cooking foods and putting the utensil back in. After he lets out a bugle, say "I tried your bugle tube this morning, it's pretty good." That kind of stuff.

09-Oct-19
Now that's effen funny !Ambush

09-Oct-19
Ambush. . . That is HILARIOUS! Oh I gotta pull that one sometime

09-Oct-19
Uh-oh Fuzzy, if you can't figure out who the 'one guy' is...it might be YOU! ;)

09-Oct-19
I usually find it the opposite, There is alway the humble quiet guy waits for everyone to announce their hunt plans then just disappears into the woods. When dinner is done he is the one cleaning dishes, half the time I don't even know his name by the second or third day. When all is said and done his buck , usually the biggest one, is butchered and in coolers, and I didn't even know he shot one. If we have a cribbage tournament at night, he wins, and I still don't know his name. You never ask if he paid his share because you are sure he paid extra if he did, and he did 60% of the wood cutting and set up and clean up while I was still trying to decide what to eat for breakfast. Later you ask who invited him and will he be back and you have to describe him because he never did share his name. He is "that guy". Somebody forgets a quiver and he builds one out of kindling and a shoe lace, that is nicer than the leather one you forgot. Somebody has a string fray on them and he builds one by combining the string from his back-up bow and dental floss found in his shave kit. "That guy" strikes again. There is a skunk visiting camp at night and annoying the heck out of all of us, and at daylight next day it is found a mile from camp with an arrow that matches his stuck in it's heart. When did he do that? how did he do that, I don't know he is "that guy"

NBo I'm not "that guy" but I have hunted with him. He shows you a picture of his granddaughter on phone and you start scrolling and see his elk, bear, lion, and what ever else he has already taken that year. Wow that guy.

oz

09-Oct-19
Hell, there's a few of 'that guy' right here on Bowsite

09-Oct-19
Nothing worse than that guy who says on the second day of the five day trip that we wasted our money and we aren't going to get anything. Then bitches to the guide all the time so he is catered to and ends up scoring.

09-Oct-19
When I'm Solo...sometimes I'm "that guy".

"I'm not schizophrenic...Oh shut up, you know you are"! ;^)

09-Oct-19
'That guy', yep, I've known a few. Got ZERO time in my life for them. I like sharing camp with folks that are 100% engaged, communicate, don't whine, and aren't tempted to tell tall tales when their backs are against the wall. ;)

09-Oct-19
Actually no, never shared a camp with that guy. Thankfully. Been blessed with a ton of great friends that work their tails off.

09-Oct-19
This is one of the reasons I hunt solo a lot. I have a good friend who is "that guy" and I miss hanging out with him, but he's horrible on trips. Absolute sabotage. He loves the idea of going until he's out there - then he just wants to get back, but doesn't want to admit it.

09-Oct-19
On the flip side, this year I agreed to hunt elk with a guy I'd met randomly in the woods a couple years ago. We got along for the couple days we hunted together and stayed in touch. Since I hunt and camp solo these days, I had many second thoughts before the hunt, not really "knowing" him.

Turns out he is an excellent hunter, came in terrific shape, and is a motivational speaker and writer. The entire hunt was a lesson in positive thinking. After he killed his bull and we packed it out he offered me half if I didn't score. From then on he was constantly encouraging me, urging me to visualize how it would go down, picking me up when I got discouraged, hiking in and checking for sign while I hunted elsewhere, coming along and calling with me.

The night before I killed my bull near the end of a difficult and frustrating hunt, he told me, "I have a strong feeling. Tomorrow a bull is going to come right to you and you're going to kill him." Which is exactly what happened. We both scored on nice bulls in one of the lowest success units in the state.

Jackson Moore is "that guy" I would hunt with anywhere, anytime.

09-Oct-19
Not negative on everything, but the abundance of game. There are no elk on this bench. I have not seen any sign, there are no tracks or droppings. OK, I'll go out with you. Bugle once at the ATVs, get an immediate answer above the bench. Oh he has been there all week, he will not come down. I can get him down. Setup do some calling, he coming in. He almost in and my partner does what he calls a call and the elk is gone. Now we know why he has not seen anything. Mention that he may need to lose that call, and now he is hurt and won't talk to me.

09-Oct-19
Really 2x “that guy” threads here. #1 is DIY hunts with a group & #2 Guided hunts. Will address them both in separate threads.

DIY Hunts — folks who are part of the core group controlling access or hosting the trip usually can push the envelope a lot further than those just invited along. I’m pretty seriously focused on hunting, preparing for the hunt and helping others do the same. But not everyone is that way — to some it’s all about camp tomfoolery. All is usually OK until someone feels slighted in camp or having less hunting success than others.

I’ve been blessed with being invited to hunt with a number of DIY Camps - 2 come to mind.

Camp #1 - Guy I know bought some land and asked me to help him scout and set up stands for Whitetail Hunting. We did a lot of work, including clearing lanes, etc. At first it was great - took some nice deer. Then a slew of other buddies started showing up, scouting the day before opener, and camp drinking parties night before opening day. I was still very successful, they were not - began blaming me for lack of success. Nobody respected the place, and more and more without permission began showing up.

Camp #2 - Became friends with a guy I knew and he invited me to hunt on his land. He was also a serious hunter, knew the deer movement, had stands in all the right places, and was happy when I or others he allowed to hunt were successful. It was a joy to hunt there, everyone respected each other and all the owner’s wishes. Pity he sold the place last year, I’ll certainly miss it. But we’re still good friends and going on a hunt together this coming year.

09-Oct-19
In the Army we had a saying = Every unit has “that guy”, and if you don’t immediately know who it is, “it’s you”.

Guided Hunts: Folks need to know what their getting into and have realistic expectations going into a guided hunt. Today, I have a network of experienced hunters to ask for outfitter recommendations, yet I still do a lot of research before laying my money down. So, today it’s unusual for me to be “that guy.” But this wasn’t always the case - years ago I was ripe for outfitter puffing and outright lies (heard what I wanted to hear). Once went on an Illinois Deer Hunt — 20 hunters in camp (was told no more than 6), 5x1 guiding, and only 1 basket-racked 8 point for the week, and the owner was actually in jail — yeah, I was “that guy” but had a lot of company.

Today I usually book 1x1 hunts, want to know who is guiding me and who I’ll be sharing camp with ahead of the hunt.

09-Oct-19
"The last time it was Kia."

Somehow I doubt that! Maybe it's because of what she has to deal with! :)

10-Oct-19

BTM's embedded Photo
BTM's embedded Photo

10-Oct-19
Just once on an Ontario bear hunt. It was the last week of the season and I shared camp with some dickhead from Illinois that bitched about everything from the time he showed up until the time he FINALLY shot a cub and went the f home! Seeing his taillights head down the driveway was like having your worst migraine magically sucked out your brain in the blink of an eye. Hope to hell I never see that whiny bi$%h again..

10-Oct-19
I've been a prick while hunting. I'm so OCD about getting places early, leaving on time and many details to increase odds of an opportunity. While the extra efforts made for great opportunities for myself and foremost others, I could make things miserable for them. Not everybody is an emotionless engineer like myself.

Spent the last few years hunting solo and re-calibrating. Went after and got a different job that forces me to plan carefully AND account for differing personalities/views. While I'm still not thrilled about people in general, I've learned to walk the line between planning and relaxing about details. Working my way back into hunting with others. Last year I brought a buddy from out of state to help with a hunt and took my kid on her first two hunts. This year I brought my other kid with chasing elk. Everything is lining out and moving forward I'm a better team player by recognizing gaps and changing.

My goal is to not be "that guy" and just enjoy the experience. At this point in life I have to. During the week I'm literally living the movie Office Space.

• Sitka Gear